Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla Patient Information Sheet  (Read 24350 times)

Offline CJ2009

Atripla Patient Information Sheet
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:15:25 am »
Okay, am I the only one that is in fear of taking this medication after reading the Patient Information Sheet?

I just got my Atripla this morning. Going to take it in about an hour and a half then go to sleep.

However, all that scary info I read is making me think twice about it...

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
Re: Atripla Patient Information Sheet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:19:18 am »
You might find this useful

http://positivelife.org.au/factsheet/1

And if you don't want to take it - you don't have to.  If you haven't already started you might like to discuss alternative options with your doc.

Hopefully you will be OK.

tb
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline northernguy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 03:07:06 am »
If we actually stopped to read the patient info on a lot of run-of-the-mill prescription meds we'd probably be terrified to take them!  Try to relax, having just started, I know that's hard to do.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
YEp its scary reading but so is paracetamol, if its any help i was just as worried 3 months ago and suffered nothing except a bit dizzy in the middle of the night and some horny dreams the first week or two . My doc said 50% feel nothing , 40 % very minor effects and 10% have to change meds. Ps i feel so much better on meds.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline jayjax

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:10 am »
YEp its scary reading but so is paracetamol, if its any help i was just as worried 3 months ago and suffered nothing except a bit dizzy in the middle of the night and some horny dreams the first week or two . My doc said 50% feel nothing , 40 % very minor effects and 10% have to change meds. Ps i feel so much better on meds.

CJ2009,
I couldn't agree with Tommy246 more.   I've been on Atripla for over a year and its like taking my vitamins now. I feel much better while I'm on Atripla !  Although I did have the minor dizziness and vivid dreams early on, it doesn't affect me any longer.

Good Luck
Jay jax
08 Oct 08:  Diagnosed
18 Oct 08:  1st Lab Work: CD4 - 268, VL 7,000
18 Nov 08:  Started Atripla
28 Jan 09:   CD4 - 195, VL 70
05 May 09:  CD4 - 201, VL = Undetectable
16 Aug 09: CD4 - 235, VL = Undetectable
30 Nov 09 CD4 - 300, VL = Undetectable
30 Mar 10 CD4 - 305, VL = Undetectable
27 Jul 10 CD4 -  301, VL = 100
13 Aug 10 -- Switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
30 Sep 10 --  CD4 598, VL = Undetectable

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:13 am »
All patient information sheets are scary, which is why I don't read them.  You have HIV and you're not taking aspirin for it, that's just part of the deal.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:01 am »
All patient information sheets are scary, which is why I don't read them.  You have HIV and you're not taking aspirin for it, that's just part of the deal.

Exactly.  Drug companies try to cover their asses completely when they put a drug on the market so if ANYONE developed so much as a sniffle while they were taking it during any phase of testing they list it as a side effect or symptom that the drug may produce.  Most of the side effects are extremely rare.  With Atripla there are basically 3 or 4 very common side effects (none of which will kill you).

1) Very vivid dreams
2) Dizziness shortly after dosing
3) Potentially a rash that is onset at 1-2 weeks and fades after 2
4) Heated feeling mostly in the head

That's it.  Don't let the other side effects throw you if it was that bad the doctors wouldn't prescribe it I promise.

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:30:01 pm »
Wow, so last night was an adventure. I'm sitting here dizzy and thinking about the crazy dreams I had. I wish the dizziness would go away as I have to get ready to work, but other than that everything was fine.

When I woke up in the middle of the night, it seemed like my hearing was enhanced or something, my phone was vibrating and it sounded like a truck coming up until I noticed it was just my phone. Crazy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 07:09:38 pm »
You have HIV and you're not taking aspirin for it,
speaking of scary CJ2009, did you know that every year people die from taking aspirin? :o I found out that I am allergic to it when I broke out in hives, 105 fever, and was rushed to the ER. Compared to that, some barfing, dizziness, or bad dreams don't sound so bad.  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 01:20:00 am »
I'm so worried about the day I start HIV meds.  However, I was thinking when I needed pain meds after back surgery, I didn't think twice about taking them.  Hmmm...maybe because they make ya feel good?  I know I even worry about depression meds, but will take those pain meds.  I'm trying to tell myself this about HIV meds--no big deal.  I'm preparing myself now. 

I try to not read the drug info either.  When you watch commercials for drugs, I wonder why anyone would take them after they list all the possible side-effects.  There was a med for restless leg syndrome that actually said may cause you to want to gamble.  I honestly thought I was watching a Saturday Night Live skit.  I couldn't believe it was a real commercial.  The stuff about Chantix makes me glad I quit without it.  I'm sure it is great for most people, but those side-effects sound scary.  But like everyone said, they have to say that even if a couple people experience that side-effect to cover themselves. 

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 01:52:16 am »
Read any antibiotic information sheet they give you at the pharmacy...it seems you would be mad to take them but the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Offline griezzel

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 03:24:41 am »
Read any antibiotic information sheet they give you at the pharmacy...it seems you would be mad to take them but the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Unless, of course, it turns out you are one of the unlucky animals the thing has devestating effects on. If I ever take penicillin again it will probably kill me. And there are several others that I react adveresly to. Those warnings are there for good reason, not just legal. And the list of side effects is long for good reason.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 03:40:03 am »
well me too griezzel   I can't take penicillin because I have a severe allergy   but think of all those who don't where pennicillin is very helpful. 

All I am saying is what everyone else is...drug companies need to tell you EVERY think that could go wrong to cover their asses. 

You ever see those commercials for products that basically tell you that you will die if you take the shit...the benefit must be worth it or they wouldn't spend the cash.

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 06:07:00 am »
I'm so worried about the day I start HIV meds.  However, I was thinking when I needed pain meds after back surgery, I didn't think twice about taking them.  Hmmm...maybe because they make ya feel good?  I know I even worry about depression meds, but will take those pain meds.  I'm trying to tell myself this about HIV meds--no big deal.  I'm preparing myself now. 

I try to not read the drug info either.  When you watch commercials for drugs, I wonder why anyone would take them after they list all the possible side-effects.  There was a med for restless leg syndrome that actually said may cause you to want to gamble.  I honestly thought I was watching a Saturday Night Live skit.  I couldn't believe it was a real commercial.  The stuff about Chantix makes me glad I quit without it.  I'm sure it is great for most people, but those side-effects sound scary.  But like everyone said, they have to say that even if a couple people experience that side-effect to cover themselves. 
Ted alot of people have this fear of when they have to start taking meds but its an irrational fear nowadays with the good meds available . If you had to take the first line meds that the Long term survivors had to take then i would understand your worry
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 06:12:45 am »
Just took another pill. Lets see how it turns out tonight. I'm about to eat a hamburger too, but they say you should take it on an empty stomach. My stomach was empty when I took it, but it wont be after I eat this burger. I'm nervous.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:43 am »
CJ,

The main thing to remember about Atripla and food is that the higher the fat content of the food you eat around the time of taking your pill, the higher the chance that you're going to experience the side-effects of the Sustiva component of the pill.

Many people have success with eating a snack with a very low or non-existent fat content. I think maybe a hamburger wasn't the best choice. How did you do?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline griezzel

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:58 am »
Just took another pill. Lets see how it turns out tonight. I'm about to eat a hamburger too, but they say you should take it on an empty stomach. My stomach was empty when I took it, but it wont be after I eat this burger. I'm nervous.

Looking forward to hearing how you do. I'm thinking of starting on Atripla and also very nervous about it. Thanks for sharing with us!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 11:21:48 am »
goodness gracious! ::) there's one important difference in HIV meds than a lot of others - HIV meds will keep you alive!! Yes, untreated HIV is still the same terminal disease that in was in 1985. ;) Once you hit an AIDS diagnosis without meds, your life expectancy is only 18 months. Death outweighs a whole lot of side effects, let me tell you. ;) ;D Hell, I took AZT and Sustiva (at separate times, each for 9 months) and barfed every damn day because that was better than being dead. ;)

Tonight I'm starting a med change of my own. This will be the 15th HIV med that I've been on. ::) I read all the information so I know what side effects could happen (I was a boy scout and it's just part of "being prepared" to know what "might" happen so I'm on the lookout). IF you really read ALL the insert (boy! I took math in college for computer science but that math for biology/chemistry is something else! I usually have to re-read each line several times to grasp all of it) you'll see just how FEW people have those side effects and how effective these meds are.

The stuff about Chantix makes me glad I quit without it.  I'm sure it is great for most people, but those side-effects sound scary.  But like everyone said, they have to say that even if a couple people experience that side-effect to cover themselves. 
Speaking of Chantix, Ted, I took that too and haven't smoked for one year and one month and 4 days. WooHoo! ;D Did you know that the percentage of people claiming the serious side effects is only .125%?? I mean not even a whole 1%!!! Yet the FDA has put out not one but two warnings about that med, which has a success rate of about 77%.
(IMHO I think the warnings are because the gov't is losing cigarette tax dollars and isn't going to be able to continue funding the SCHIP program; but I am a mild conspiracist anyway. As in many things, is a case of follow the money)

If I ever take penicillin again it will probably kill me.
I almost mentioned this med too earlier, along with the aspirin. Four years ago, at 44, I suddenly became highly allergic to penicillin. Who knew that some medicine that you've taken before with good success for decades, could suddenly become deadly!?! :o Well, I know now by finding out the hard way.

Unless, of course, it turns out you are one of the unlucky animals the thing has devestating effects on..
no way, no how am I a gambling man. My motto is if you walk too close to the edge you could fall off, so I stay waaaaay over here where it's safe. Reading that patient information will show, just like the Chantix, that the number of people reporting most of those side effects is so infinitestimentally small that if you're going to worry about those kinds of odds, you really need to see a counselor. LOL :D Meds are tested extensively and are fairly safe. Of course, there's never a 100% guarantee, and unless you're a hypochondriac, I think reading the patient info to be aware of what side effects could happen is just good planning.

Of course too, with the serious chemotherapy of antiretrovirals (HIV meds aren't just ordinary meds; it's just like chemotherapy!), there is a much greater chance of side effects until you body adjusts to the chemicals, and especially while the amount of HIV in your blood is decreased for a first time patient.

Many people have success with eating a snack with a very low or non-existent fat content. I think maybe a hamburger wasn't the best choice. How did you do?
Not only reading the patient info; but reading in these forums too can help you to understand what side effects might happen and often how to plan against them. ;)

Hope things went well, and hang in there CJ. Hopefully within a week or so you're body will be all adjusted to the new chemicals, a lower viral load, and higher tcell count, and everything will be good for you. Keep us informed!

best wishes!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline BigK

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 12:55:37 pm »
I started Atripla Jan 2008. My viral load went undetectable after about 3 weeks. never had any issues with Atripla, also on Mepron. My last tests last week show a viral load of 1880. I searched for "blips" but didnt find any recent info. What is the general concesus here?? My Dr at my last appt suggested trying something different due to my extreme fatigue, he thinks may be due to the Sustiva. He suggested this without even knowing about the viral load issue. Any opinions? The bad part is that I have about 8 months supply of Atripla sitting here...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:58:14 pm by BigK »
Infected Aug. 2008
Oct. 2008 VL 1,400,000
12/08/2008 VL- 30400  CD4 228 12%
1/07/2009 VL- 23300 CD4 192 8%
1/12/2009 Started Atripla
1/26/2009 VL 248 CD4 168 14%
2/06/09 VL 190 CD4 252 18%
3/17/09 VL <75 CD4 142  % ?
6/15/09 VL <50 CD4 212 26%
10/15/2009 VL<50 CD4 219 25%
2/8/2010 VL 1880 CD4 269 29%
3/8/2010 VL 1140 CD4 224 26%
5/15/2010 Started Truvada, Norvir, Reyataz
5/30/2010 VL 1600 CD4 248
6/15/2010 VL <48 CD4 226
9/13/2010 VL <48 CD4 275 24%
12/02/2010 VL <48 CD4 283 22%
03/01/2011 VL <48 CD4 256 25%

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 01:12:16 pm »
I started Atripla Jan 2008. My viral load went undetectable after about 3 weeks. never had any issues with Atripla, also on Mepron. My last tests last week show a viral load of 1880. I searched for "blips" but didnt find any recent info. What is the general concesus here?? My Dr at my last appt suggested trying something different due to my extreme fatigue, he thinks may be due to the Sustiva. He suggested this without even knowing about the viral load issue. Any opinions? The bad part is that I have about 8 months supply of Atripla sitting here...

Think the standard procedure is to get another viral load test in a month or so.  If you go back to undetectable it was a blip and you don't worry about it.  If you are still detectable in a month it is time to get a resistance test and look at new meds.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:31 pm »
Okay so everything seems about the same. I'm a bit dizzy and a little hot. I slept pretty well last night. :)

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:30 pm »
CJ,

The main thing to remember about Atripla and food is that the higher the fat content of the food you eat around the time of taking your pill, the higher the chance that you're going to experience the side-effects of the Sustiva component of the pill.

Ann

I did well, I have a slight headache though, which may be due to the fact that it's really hot. I think I'm going to skip out on the burger before bed next time anyway. By going to the gym 5x a week, I should know better, but I was super hungry (long day).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:20 am »
Well CJ, it's always better to eat when you're hungry than not. It's good to hear that you didn't really have any increase in side-effects - not everyone will experience this with eating. My partner often eats a full mean right before he takes his sustiva and it doesn't seem to effect him at all.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »
So, I've been taking Atripla for the past 4 days and the side effects in the morning have gotten a lot more bearable. I hardly feel dizzy this morning. I'm happy it's kinda wearing off day by day  :)

Offline griezzel

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:27 pm »
I really appreciate your reports and posts. They are easing my nervousness about beginning Atripla, which I should do Thursday night (2/25/10).

I will start a thread of my own soon, so I will be free to express disagreement with certain people's assertations without getting into trouble.

Thanks again, cj

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 02:17:08 pm »
I really appreciate your reports and posts. They are easing my nervousness about beginning Atripla, which I should do Thursday night (2/25/10).

I will start a thread of my own soon, so I will be free to express disagreement with certain people's assertations without getting into trouble.

Thanks again, cj
How's treatment coming along for you?

Offline griezzel

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 02:11:58 pm »
How's treatment coming along for you?

This is my third "morning after". Didn't sleep much the first night, but now had two good nights' sleep in row. Wake up feeling a bit unsteady and wobbly, but so far no other side effects to speak of. Needless to say, am very pleased and a bit surprised.

How's it going with you?

Offline CJ2009

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:02 am »
This is my third "morning after". Didn't sleep much the first night, but now had two good nights' sleep in row. Wake up feeling a bit unsteady and wobbly, but so far no other side effects to speak of. Needless to say, am very pleased and a bit surprised.

How's it going with you?

Sounds a bit how I felt the first few days. I've noticed if I take it a couple hours before bed, I begin to feel dizzy maybe the last half hour I'm awake and in the morning I'm fine... actually more energized than usual.

I did have a bad day today, but that's probably due to me forgetting to take it before I went to bed and instead waking up in the middle of the night to take it. I now have an alarm on my Blackberry set so I don't forget =)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 07:46:37 am »
I've been on it for about 3 months -- still slight grogginess in the AM when I first get up - but I've never been very alert when I first wake up.  Great dream yesterday.  I ate a BK Whopper right before taking it and had a dream I was at a festival/amusement park, there was an Asian lady behind a booth giving massages --- a couple was in there and the Asian lady was going over her body with a large rolling pin -- and everyone was singing "Smash her like a sausage."  --- I had the jingle on my mind all the way to work and throughout the day.  So, if I want vivid dreams I guess the BK whopper is the way to bring them on.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 02:52:40 pm »
That's it.  Don't let the other side effects throw you if it was that bad the doctors wouldn't prescribe it I promise.

That is BULLSHIT. Pharmaceutical companies push drugs through often without knowing side-effects, and doctors are left with their hands tied.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:22 pm »
That is BULLSHIT. Pharmaceutical companies push drugs through often without knowing side-effects, and doctors are left with their hands tied.

Which ones?  Please be very specific I'm curious to know which drugs in particular you're talking about.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:56:34 pm »
The bad part is that I have about 8 months supply of Atripla sitting here...

If you are not going to use it, might I recommend donating it? I know many clinics or outreach programs that would be overjoyed to accept it!
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 02:59:54 pm »
Which ones?  Please be very specific I'm curious to know which drugs in particular you're talking about.

That is done with almost ALL drugs developed anymore by Pharmaceutical Companies - which is why the side-effects often "pop-up" later and the litigation begins. The FDA pushed it through, the Pharma-Corp pushed it through and doctors were left to merely advise on the little info they had and attempt to "guinea-pig" on their patients.

Offline griezzel

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 03:18:18 pm »

Don't let the other side effects throw you if it was that bad the doctors wouldn't prescribe it I promise.

That is BULLSHIT. Pharmaceutical companies push drugs ... and doctors are left with their hands tied.

I agree with bear, that IS bullshit. A lot of people here have a strong pro-med agenda, which is understandable but counter-productive to their cause. Saying stupid things like "Don't worry about potential side-effects, JUST TAKE THE DAMN DRUGS" almost made me want to dig in my high heels and refuse.

What it comes down to in the end is statistics. A certain percentage of people experiencing bad side-effects is expected and tolerated up to a point. I'm not certain what criteria or benchmark is used, but if more people benefit greatly from a medication than are damaged by it then it's considered acceptable. One must hope to be in the majority of the lucky rather than the minority and become an unlucky statistic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:30:06 am by griezzel »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 03:18:34 pm »
That is done with almost ALL drugs developed anymore by Pharmaceutical Companies - which is why the side-effects often "pop-up" later and the litigation begins. The FDA pushed it through, the Pharma-Corp pushed it through and doctors were left to merely advise on the little info they had and attempt to "guinea-pig" on their patients.

Once again can you produce teh proof to back this up?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and all that.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »
I agree with bear, that IS bullshit. A lot of people here have a strong pro-med agenda, which is understandable but counter-productive to their cause. Saying stupid things like "Don't worry about potential side-effects, JUST TAKE THE DAMN DRUGS" almost made me want to dig in my high hells and refuse.

What it comes down to in the end is statistics. A certain percentage of people experiencing bad side-effects is expected and tolerated up to a point. I'm not certain what criteria or benchmark is used, but if more people benefit greatly from a medication than are damaged by it then it's considered acceptable. One must hope to be in the majority of the lucky rather than the minority and become an unlucky statistic.

There are no universal cure alls with no side effects.  What we said were for the majority of people the side effects were not life threatening.  For I would wager 99% of people the side effects won't even bother your quality of life.  There are an unfortunate >few< who do not tolerate the medicines as well as others however, in the short term the medicine is much better for you than the virus.

I don't understand why you newer guys are going on the warpath without even knowing the lay of the land?  Not everyone here agrees, we don't all espouse our opinion as fact, all we're attempting to do is share our experiences and knowledge in the attempt to help as many people as is possible.  No one here works for a pharmaceutical company or a condom company.  We have no agenda.  What we do have is a lot of experience.  (Not me personally but the others for sure)

I really do hope y'all can calm down and utilize these forums as a good place to come for advice and companionship rather than seeing it as a confrontational place for non-medical opinions.

Offline griezzel

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010, 03:31:04 pm »
I don't understand why you newer guys are going on the warpath without even knowing the lay of the land?  Not everyone here agrees, we don't all espouse our opinion as fact, all we're attempting to do is share our experiences and knowledge in the attempt to help as many people as is possible.  No one here works for a pharmaceutical company or a condom company.  We have no agenda.  What we do have is a lot of experience.  (Not me personally but the others for sure)

I really do hope y'all can calm down and utilize these forums as a good place to come for advice and companionship rather than seeing it as a confrontational place for non-medical opinions.

Us "new guys" are just responding naturally to the "lay of the land", I suppose. We are, evidently, innocently entering into a war we didn't know was raging. When we call bullshit that's a sign you need to examine your rhetoric and stance. Often, statements are made without caveats or qualifiers, as if they ARE gospel and written in stone.

And btw, some of you folks that have been posting here a while are quite confrontational. You seem to be operating with a paradigm that is unfamiliar to newcomers and need to be aware of that and more gently persuasive if you hope to enlightnen anyone.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:35:14 pm by griezzel »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »
Us "new guys" are just responding naturally to the "lay of the land", I suppose. We are, evidently, innocently entering into a war we didn't know was raging. When we call bullshit that's a sign you need to examine your rhetoric and stance. Often, statements are made without caveats or qualifiers, as if they ARE gospel and written in stone.

Actually the Gospels were written on papyrus and similar materials. The Ten Commandments were the ones chiseled in stone.

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. :)

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »
Once again can you produce teh proof to back this up?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" and all that.

MtD
In In re Synthroid® Marketing Litigation (Case No. 97C 6017, MDL No. 1182), for example, Baker Botts defended against claims that advertising and marketing activities provided inaccurate information to consumers about the superiority of Synthroid® and the non-substitutability of Synthroid® with other levothyroxine sodium products. Baker Botts defended putative class actions in Illinois and Alabama where plaintiffs sought economic damages under a variety of consumer fraud theories relating to another client's laxative product.

Beasley-Allen was recently involved in one of the greatest victories in Mass Torts history, against drug manufacturer Merck regarding the drug Vioxx. After more than five years of hard-fought and difficult litigation, Merck agreed to pay $4.85 billion, the largest pharmaceutical settlement in U.S. history, to resolve certain Vioxx-related claims involving plaintiffs who suffered a heart attack, including sudden cardiac death, or a stroke.

Covington & Burling - National coordinating counsel for Hoffmann-La Roche and Roche Laboratories Inc. -- Covington managed all aspects of a nationwide lawsuit alleging that Accutane causes depression, psychosis, suicide, violence, and other psychiatric side effects. Covington also managed all political aspects of this controversy. Drawing on the substantial experience of our lawyers in dealing with the House Energy and Commerce Committee, we worked closely with the committee staff over an 18-month period to provide documents and other requested information. The Committee ultimately held a day-long hearing in December 2002, and we prepared company executives to testify, including Roche's President and CEO, George Abercrombie.

How many more do you want? There are hundreds...

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 03:45:48 pm »

And btw, some of you folks that have been posting here a while are quite confrontational. You seem to be operating with a paradigm that is unfamiliar to newcomers and need to be aware of that and more gently persuasive if you hope to enlightnen anyone.

Thoroughly AGREED.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 04:09:30 pm »
In In re Synthroid® Marketing Litigation (Case No. 97C 6017, MDL No. 1182), for example, Baker Botts defended against claims that advertising and marketing activities provided inaccurate information to consumers about the superiority of Synthroid® and the non-substitutability of Synthroid® with other levothyroxine sodium products. Baker Botts defended putative class actions in Illinois and Alabama where plaintiffs sought economic damages under a variety of consumer fraud theories relating to another client's laxative product.

Beasley-Allen was recently involved in one of the greatest victories in Mass Torts history, against drug manufacturer Merck regarding the drug Vioxx. After more than five years of hard-fought and difficult litigation, Merck agreed to pay $4.85 billion, the largest pharmaceutical settlement in U.S. history, to resolve certain Vioxx-related claims involving plaintiffs who suffered a heart attack, including sudden cardiac death, or a stroke.

Covington & Burling - National coordinating counsel for Hoffmann-La Roche and Roche Laboratories Inc. -- Covington managed all aspects of a nationwide lawsuit alleging that Accutane causes depression, psychosis, suicide, violence, and other psychiatric side effects. Covington also managed all political aspects of this controversy. Drawing on the substantial experience of our lawyers in dealing with the House Energy and Commerce Committee, we worked closely with the committee staff over an 18-month period to provide documents and other requested information. The Committee ultimately held a day-long hearing in December 2002, and we prepared company executives to testify, including Roche's President and CEO, George Abercrombie.

How many more do you want? There are hundreds...

Bring 'em on! So far I'm seeing individual cases.

I'm still waiting to see the smoking pistol which proves your tin-foil hatted claims of Teh Conspiracy by Big Pharma to Fuck Folks Over.

Connect the dots, mang.

MtD

Offline griezzel

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 04:30:40 pm »
O good lord.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »
Bring 'em on! So far I'm seeing individual cases.

I'm still waiting to see the smoking pistol which proves your tin-foil hatted claims of Teh Conspiracy by Big Pharma to Fuck Folks Over.

Connect the dots, mang.

MtD

Matty did you not notice the best part?  That first case he led with was about false advertising claims.  I just went and got a snack instead of responding to that.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 08:02:33 pm »
Welcome to the forums blackwingbear and griezzel.  It would have been nice to see an introductory thread from each of you (instead of cat-fighting and "bullshit" accusations).

We are here for you (and anyone else who wants to join us) with open arms.

No agendas, open-minded to facts, willing to throw around tons of love: AIDS meds.

Pollyanna
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »
It would have been nice to see an introductory thread from each of you (instead of cat-fighting and "bullshit" accusations).
I know when there was an issue with griez in another thread, I suggested that he start a thread about his own situation. Griez graciously did start up his own thread and did introduce himself. (Griez tested poz in the late 80s and just started atripla a few days ago)  ;)

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 08:46:45 pm »
I know when there was an issue with griez in another thread, I suggested that he start a thread about his own situation. Griez graciously did start up his own thread and did introduce himself. (Griez tested poz in the late 80s and just started atripla a few days ago)  ;)

Isn't Griezzel a woman?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:39 pm »

Oh, my apologies for that. I recall him getting into a back and forth with you, but never saw the subsequent intro-thread.  Probably 'cause it was in the LTS forum and I don't look there in fear that I may turn into a salt statue.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »
it was in the LTS forum and I don't look there in fear that I may turn into a salt statue.

LOL. that's awesome.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »
I don't look there in fear that I may turn into a salt statue.
ROFL  :D
oh you can look there, just like i look into the women's and AII? forums ::)

just don't post where you're not supposed to be, or you will get your hand slapped. LOL ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 11:40:03 pm »

I didn't say there was one.

I stated that doctors don't always know all of the side-effects.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.