Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:34:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Family can rain on any parade...........  (Read 9718 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Family can rain on any parade...........
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »
I think most know on here that my partner, Sid and I are getting married soon -- Sept 1st.  Plans are just about all wrapped up and we are greatly looking forward to this day -- and our subsequent honeymoon to Aruba.
Here is a story on how a family member can just elicit such incredible sadness.....

I have a rather religious aunt -- I have always been close and she has always been very welcoming of Sid.  Still -- I was not surprised to get a decline from her for our wedding.  That came ~6weeks ago.
Today a package and letter came in the mail.  I thought, "wow -- a gift from her".

Here is the letter:

Dear Mike & Sid,
1. First, I love you dearly
2. I cannot attend your "wedding"
3. Mike,  I am your Godmother.  As such I have an obligation to educate you on God's Law.

God created the first "marriage" when he created Eve for Adam.  He told them to "increase and multiply - fill the earth and subdue it."  The primary purpose of marriage is procreation.  That cannot happen with a a "same-sex" couple, therefore a "same-sex" couple cannot "marry".

Since 1989 I have been teaching religious education in my Parish.  On many occasions I have had to explain the above to students who are not clear on what is required of marriage.

Next lesson:  All sexual activity outside of a sacramental marriage between one man and one woman agreeing to have children (as many as God allows) is a very serious mortal sin that condemns one to the fires of hell for eternity.  You have many relatives headed there if there is no repentance on their part. (I pray daily for all of my family + their "significant" other".)  A practice of celibacy would be an excellent choice for you both.

According to Our Lady of Fatima in 107 "more souls go to hell for sins of the flesh than for any other reason."  Scary!

Because I teach catechism and had my own major conversion (reversion), it would be the height of hypocrisy for me to attend your "wedding".

With love to you
and prayers for you
Aunt XXX

Yep -- that is verbatim.  In the box -- a fresh copy of the New American Bible - with a list of passages we should focus on (yes, Leviticus 18:22-24 is one of them).  Along with a copy for each of us of, Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To.  A sticky was on each telling us, if we couldn't read it all, at least read Chap 10 -- Titled:  Why am I here, anyway? - God lead me to my destiny.

I want to be angry, but all I am is overwhelmed with sadness.  :'(

Mike

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Family can rain on any parade...........
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »
Very sorry to hear your aunt is superstitious prude. I hope your wedding and trip to Aruba exceed your expectations.

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:52:48 pm »
Mike, you and Sid should get a chuckle out of her letter after all is said and done, it is not really worth any more than that.  Her religious beliefs are shared by many but there are so many other fine folks who respect true love between two people and if she were as compassionate as Jesus she would accept and embrace you and would have attended this wonderful day for you guys.  Instead she chose to send an overly pious and in the end a basically mean spirited note.

Besides more than a few Christians are seemingly using Leviticus for their own purposes to make a point, as your seemingly devout aunt so obviously desired to make.  So her Old Testament references don't conflict with the uncompromising love of Jesus?  Seems like a conflict she has herself and a conflict some people of the major faiths tragically have.  And reform Jews who accept gays and lesbians, as rabbis in some temples, have basically rejected the teachings of Leviticus and its harsh judgements.

Have a great wedding and may Aruba be lots of fun for you, your continued good life is the greatest revenge of all !!!!!

Jody :-*
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:54:49 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
You should mail the bible back to her with Genesis 19:  32-36 highlighted and ask her where incest fits in with this holy plan.

That's just my first, angry reaction.  Sorry you're having to deal with this, but consider what Jody has said.  There really is no point in trying to have a rational conversation about this with her. 

Just remember you have other family - blood and chosen - who love and respect you as you are.

My congratulations to the both of you.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:21:35 am »
I'm reminded of the great quote that many have probably heard.  It went something like this:  Religion is like a penis.  It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it.  But, please don't whip it out in public and wave it around.  And, please don't try to shove it down my throat.

I hate when people try to push their religious beliefs on others.  I hate the "I'm going to pray for you" line.  It is so condensing, while elevating them to feel better than others.  I especially hate when Old Testament scriptures are used in regards to homosexuality.  As we all know and have repeated many times, there are so many "sins" there.  Working on the Sabbath, which would include even making a fire.  Women should marry their rapists.  Shellfish, etc, etc.  How many of these people eat bacon and sausage for Sunday breakfast.  I've said this about my own family members:  If they lived the Bible to the letter (I mean everything), I would say they really live it fully, so I could overlook their stance against my happiness.  But, none of them do and not even close, so I cannot deal with them picking and choosing. 

I would probably send it back with all those things highlighted, and inquire how many sins Aunty is indulging in everyday.  Religion has the potential to do so much good, but it often causes so many problems and causes divides.   

I'm sorry your Aunt felt the need to tell you that you're going the Hell.  I don't believe in Hell, but it would still hurt to have a family member say that, especially before an upcoming joyous day.     

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:45:58 am »
Dearest Mike

I can only echo what Jody said, I know you are looking forward to your special day with Sid, please don't let your Aunt spoil this.

Enjoy your wedding, I'm really looking forward to seeing the photo's.

Sending you both all the love in the world.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline DecoyBarrier

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:55 am »
Dear Mike,

First of all, let me congratulate you :)
I hope your marriage and the honeymoon and everything else after that will go very well :)

I know it hurts now, but your aunt loves you. She would not have sent that message to you otherwise. She had to make a decision between her religion and you, and despite her love for you she couldn't abandon her beliefs and her views on life.

Do not let it spoil your happyness. Let's hope that she will realize her mistake. If she does, welcome her with an open heart.

Again, congratulations on your marriage, and I hope your days will be long and full of fullfillment :)

Offline vaguesbleues

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 03:06:21 am »
Congratulations on the wedding! 

Boy, your aunt sure loves to use "quotes".  I'd be inclined to just send the whole thing back and say you don't need her "present."  And then follow it up with something along the lines of "From now on whenever you say that you love the sinner but hate the sin, I will say I love the believer but hate the belief."  ::sigh::
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:29:22 am »
Thanks all,

I woke up feeling a bit better about it all.  My plan is to send the whole lot back to her with a little note. 

I realize that she is 72 and grew up "in a different time" -- but then my parents are just about 71 and they will attending, as will 2 of her other brothers (1 of whom is also gay AND a deacon in the Catholic church).  If my grandmother were alive, I'm sure she'd be giving my aunt an earful and I know would have attended, despite being a devout Catholic herself.  She loved her family and left "judgement" to god.

At the end of the day, I know I can't change her -- but I do intend to give her something to think about -- and undoubtedly a whole lot more for her to add to her daily prayer work. 

Hugs,
Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:54 am »

1 Corinthians 14:34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.

She should also read the letters of Timothy as she is not following the edict that women should not usurp authority over men and should suffer in silence and not preach the word of God.

Or is she the type who only uses the portion of the Bible that fits her views?

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Greg

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:20 am »
Heh...it isn't just us sodomites who have to deal with this sort of thing, though.  A couple of years back when my fantabulous oldest sister was finally divorcing her total dickwad of a husband - MUCH to my vocalized delight - his mother (who is herself an ordained minister, which also contradicts scripture) used to send her bible passages.

She even highlighted her own particular talking points in red ink like she herself was god.

::)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:31 am »
 @ Mike,   Congrats on your weeding  w/ you & sid  :-*

I'm sorry that your godmother doesn't support  you  in your big decision :-[

but, you must look at it this way,  Gay marriage isn't for everyone, and neither is AIDS  ;)

however, Please don't let this Stop you guys, I admire what your both doing  ;)

I agree w/ Jody, just take it for what it's worth.........a nice chuckle

Hugs

DEN  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:04:13 am »
Mike,

I'm so sorry about this incident with your Aunt.  I can imagine how hurtful it feels, especially at a time that is supposed to be joyous.  And the decision to send you an entire Bible, and highlight the passages, is just very condescending.

Unfortunately, you are right -- you can't change your Aunt.  All you can do is respond and tell her how you feel.  I think that sending the Bible back with a brief message telling her that you are disappointed, hurt and angry would be appropriate.

I hope your wedding is wonderful!

Hugs to you and Sid.

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:12 pm »
Mike  I have long believed  that people hear what they want to  hear  and see what they want to see...I  know that  you and Sid  are   are  seeing and hearing what is in your  heart   so have a  great day and a super  time in Aruba...  ignore  aunt and others  who  judge you....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:08 pm »
  Hey Mike, congratulations on the upcoming wedding. 

I agree with what Jody said..  While your aunt may be set in her ways, there's nothing stopping you from sending the Bible back to her with a special gift inside.  I dunno, maybe something like a photo of you and Sid getting married would be cool.

Share this special day with those who matter most.

Take care!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »
First, congratulations on your marriage.

Secondly, as a father, son, brother, uncle, godfather, and friend, I would not dream of inflicting that level of harshness and judgment on someone I consider a loved one who also has found someone to love.

Also, I find the following excerpted from Thunter's post so spot on:

Just remember you have other family - blood and chosen - who love and respect you as you are.

Sending all my best.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:32 pm »

While your aunt may be set in her ways, there's nothing stopping you from sending the Bible back to her with a special gift inside.  I dunno, maybe something like a photo of you and Sid getting married would be cool.

Take care!

That was my thought right off the bat !!  Send the bibles back to your aunt, with as many photographs as you can of your's and Sid's special day.

Show her the smiling, happy faces that go along with all weddings. I would even save her a piece of cake.

Your aunt sounds very similar to an aunt of mine from many years ago. ( even her own brothers and sisters eventually turned away from her)  She made Jerry Falwell, and Jimmy Swaggert look like saints. She was a minister of her church, but she died when I was about 18.

Congratulations, on the upcoming marriage,  and have a great wedding and honeymoon !   8)

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 02:01:18 pm »
I am beside myself today.  My sadness has turned into a seething rage and I don't know what to do with it.

Sid broke down in tears today -- my aunt's letter has been haunting him and dredging up all the good ol' Catholic guilt from his upbringing.  When our cat, Charlie, took ill yesterday and I had to leave him in the ICU, it became the straw that broke his back. 

We are 2 weeks from what should be a happy day for us and here we are -- I am red with fury and he is having crying spells all due to a completely unnecessary and hateful message that was, of course, delivered with 'love'.  Man, those fucking pious souls sure do know how to mix up love and hate...........

Oh well -- I needed a vent -- Now I have to just go have a cry myself.

M

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »
You vent all you need to - BOTH of you - until your day is rightfully happy again.

Tell Sid that I said hey, too.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »
Oh honey, don't let it get to you, if you do she has succeeded, if that was her intent

this is & will be the happiest day for the both of you, so you two can cherish that forever, this isn't about her
it's about the two of you guys  ;)

Hugs

DEN
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 07:29:02 pm »
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

You could send her a faux-serious reply over her wall of text. Basically ask her, since she references Leviticus, how she avoids shellfish, wearing cloth of mixed fibers, etc.

You could also ask her since she's so fond of Leviticus, if she's all right with you owning a slave? (This one could be doubly fun if the slave in question was akin to Mr. Slave of South Park fame.) Tell her another wedding invitee has decided to give you one as a wedding gift. Ask her to clarify your responsibilities according to the bible.

Ask her how much all those doves cost that she sacrificed over the years. Ask her what it was like sequestering herself monthly as her period made her unclean in the eyes of the lard.

Well, you get the idea. Have fun with it.

Here is a Reddit thread talking about this very thing. http://www.reddit.com/r/ainbow/comments/x65jh/fantastic_resource_for_tearing_apart_biblebased/

I live in fundie central. I deal with this attitude daily. :/

Ex-altar boy, too. Tell Sid the best cure for catholic guilt is good ol' everyday gay hedonism. :D
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline DecoyBarrier

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 05:08:52 am »
Hug your fiance and cry together. :)
Talk about it and together you can make it all go away :D

Offline britchick

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 09:46:49 am »
 Hi bocker3!(and Sid)

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!!!!!!!!!You have each other.....thats a priceless gift.....more precious than anything else.

Please look forward ....have a wonderful day....and remember its all about you and Sid.....!!!!!

Congrats again!

Hugs

Britchick!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »
Hi Mike

I hope you and Sid are feeling a little better about things today.

Remember you are going to be surrounded by family and friends who love you, support you want to see you guys get married, concentrate on them and forget your Aunt...I know it's easier said than done, but please, please don't let her spoil your day.

Miss you, and love to Sid.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »
As Jan and others have pointed out Mike and Sid don't allow any guilt derived from the belief systems of some others spoil your day.  You should be happy, proud and content.  Don't let the misguided opinions of others ruin the time before your big day.  Being from New England, if your aunt is, she may have a little bit of Puritan in her and don't forget the Puritans greatest fear was that somebody somewhere was happy!!! :) ;) :D ;D :-*

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline bocker3

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »
Thanks again to all for your support.

We have put this unpleasantness behind us and are ready to move on.  Tomorrow is my last day at work for 2 weeks (Sid is working through Wed). 
Just about all plans / details are set.  We leave for Mass. on 8/30 and the wedding is a week from Saturday.
And..........  our cat, Charlie, made it through his stint in ICU with pulmonary edema.  He is now back to his old self -- albeit, he is now up to 4 pills a days -- trying to catch up to daddy, I guess.  Thankfully, his are all generic and Target has them at $4/Rx.....  wish daddy could say the same. 

I will try to get a pic or two up prior to leaving for Aruba, but can't guarantee it as we leave early the morning after the wedding.

Hugs,
M

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 12:07:39 am »
We leave for Mass. on 8/30 and the wedding is a week from Saturday.
Congratulations! That is extremely awesome. Best wishes and happiness to the two of you for many many more years to come! :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:02 am »
Many , many congrats to you both , I am sure you will have a wonderful day and a loving honeymoon.
I think I understand both the sadness and the anger involved with your Aunt , such a waste for her , blocked from celebration .

However dear you two must make up for her block and have the best of best.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 12:32:52 am »
I just want to say Congrats on you and Sid and your upcoming nuptials!! It so nice when one someone from "our family" is getting married! I'm giddy with excitement for you!

Love you!
-Will

PS- dont let Aunt sourpuss ruin it  ;)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:27 am »
Mike, I'm not sure how I managed to miss posting my well-wishes up to now. I'm so happy for you and Sid that I could just blow a gasket! I hope you have a wonderful day and a fantastic honeymoon.

As for your aunt - tell her that you have people all over the world wishing you well and who couldn't be more happy for you. Bet she couldn't say that about any event in her own life. I'm glad you're not letting her get you down. I kinda feel sorry for her - she'll be missing out on something magical. That's what real love between two people feels like - magical.

Can't wait to see some photos!

Hugs and congratulations to you and Sid,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 09:55:02 am »
I'm sorry I'm so late in replying, but I call bullshit on your aunt and if it were my aunt I'd call her on the phone to say the same thing. This is political. You said your aunt was very accepting of Sid. And now all of the sudden, it's her "duty" as Godmother to inform you about certain things the Bible says? In other words, she was happy to let you screw yourselves into Damnation all this time, but when you decide to get married, that's when she wants to step in and save you?  I guess she thinks you are shoving something in her face and she's shoving back the only thing she's got, something she thinks can't be disputed.

I know it's too late now, but I wish you'd called her and told her that this whole thing is about your happines, not her faith, which by the way cannot be proven one way or another until you are both dead. And get off her high horse and come have a drink with the family.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »
So, I thought I'd close this thread with sharing my response to my Aunt.  A big thanks for all your support and a special shout out to Creighton -- I stole a line from you - it was perfect!!

Dear Aunt XXXXX,
I am returning your “presents”.  We do not need them, as we clearly believe in very different Higher Powers.
It is unfortunate that you chose to politicize my happiness.  You tried to cover it as “preaching” – but seeing as you had nothing to say about our path to hell over the last 22+ years, I have to believe that it was the fact that we wanted to legitimize our relationship with THE STATE that set off this “need”.  There really is no other way for me to look at this sudden need to “educate” me – I mean it was fine for us to fornicate our way to hell (in your view), but having a CIVIL MARRIAGE was just too much.
I thought twice about inviting you, but decided that you might be able to see it for what it was and what it was not.  It WAS a celebration of love with family and friends.  It WAS NOT a religious ceremony in any way.  I was not surprised by your decline to the invite, but I was so incredibly saddened with your letter and “gift” that there are no words.  There was also rage, as your words caused Sid to be greatly upset and his tears burned through me.  This simply was not necessary.  It was about as un-Christian a thing as I can recall having happened to me.  I do recall from my upbringing, that it was God’s duty to judge others – not ours.
So, I wish you could have simply come and enjoyed time with family. 
If you truly feel that your God would be offended or upset with you for showing love to a family member, then I am so very glad to have removed myself from your church.  That would be a God that I could not believe in.
Finally – I am including a photo from our day.  I hope you look at it and see the joy we had.  We have been together for over 22 years – how many in our family have that longevity in their one man-one woman relationships?
There is no need to further contact me about this or any matter.  I now consider it closed.  Costly, but closed.
Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »
wow. I love it.

I mean I hate that there was even a need to have to send something like that to a family member but I agree it was the right thing to do and you did not mince words.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:36 am »

After that letter, I am certain your Aunt needed some comfort food. A slice of wedding cake would have done the job.  :P

It's unfortunate, but the letter was well written, and,  it needed to be written !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 01:59:24 pm »
good  job  Mike,.....sometimes a straight  talk is  what is needed.... just say what you think and believe......
Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline mitch777

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »
Congratulations X 2!

First for your wedding and second for your letter.
She fundamentally altered the relationship that you had with her by presenting you with her "gift".
I hope you both are moving on with joy.

Mitch
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.