Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:36:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 584
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bernard Madoff's Son Offed Himself...  (Read 4550 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Bernard Madoff's Son Offed Himself...
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:57 pm »
Tragic all around. Not to mention all the people who lost their life savings through his father's ponzi scheme.

One wonders how the 2-year-old child will fare since he was at home asleep at the time.

Story here:

http://theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=1286153&type=home
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Bernard Madoff's Son Offed Himself...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »
Tragic all around. Not to mention all the people who lost their life savings through his father's ponzi scheme.

One wonders how the 2-year-old child will fare since he was at home asleep at the time.

Story here:

http://theusdaily.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=1286153&type=home

Yes very tragic  ???  the son dies due to the sins of his father, guess it was all too much for him, his 2 yr old child probably won't remember any of this and that might be a very good thing, still sad tho, suicide is always something most of us will never understand ,I couldn't even imagine suicde, even after liviing w/ AIDS for the last 20 yrs., it just never occurred to me :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:32:16 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »
Wasn't the son facing investigation as a result of the ponzi scheme?

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:51:53 pm »
Wasn't the son facing investigation as a result of the ponzi scheme?

MtD
Yes him and his other brother. It was coming due for him to pay his part of the money back.

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 08:43:37 pm »
As someone who has struggled with depression almost my entire life, I find the way you titled this thread, as him "offing himself", incredibly insensitive and quite offensive. When somebody reaches a point in their life where they can no longer stand to go on and they feel that taking their own life is the only way out it is incredibly tragic and using such callous language to describe such a tragedy should not be something that is done. One would think people such as ourselves who are everyday living our own tragedies would know better!

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:00:45 pm »
As someone who has struggled with depression almost my entire life, I find the way you titled this thread, as him "offing himself", incredibly insensitive and quite offensive. When somebody reaches a point in their life where they can no longer stand to go on and they feel that taking their own life is the only way out it is incredibly tragic and using such callous language to describe such a tragedy should not be something that is done. One would think people such as ourselves who are everyday living our own tragedies would know better!

odyssey

Odyssey,

Darlin' I like you a lot. You're one of my favourite people round here but, I gotta tell ya, there are times when you can be a little too thin skinned.

This is one of those times.

Now before you bite back and tell me I don't understand, let me say that I am intimately familiar with suicide and the misery it brings into people's lives. There are folks here who know what I'm talking about.

As somebody who has been seriously affected by suicide I feel able to point out that the title OneTampa has used for his thread is not offensive. "Offed" is just a term people use. A perfectly normal word from the vernacular.

This isn't a case of OneTampa being insensitive, it's a case of you being overly sensitive.

Moreover there is an assumption implicit in your criticism of One. You assume that he has no understanding of what it is like to deal with depression. You assume that he has no appreciation of how devastating suicidal ideations can be for those afflicted by them.

Now I don't know what One's experience of these things is like, that's for him to say should he feel so behoved but I think it's a bit rough to jump to a conclusion about that on the basis of how he's titled a thread.

I'm aware that your having Asperger's makes online exchanges difficult for you from time to time, but I really do think you've over-reacted here.

MtD

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:30:32 pm »
Odyssey,

Darlin' I like you a lot. You're one of my favourite people round here but, I gotta tell ya, there are times when you can be a little too thin skinned.

This is one of those times.

Now before you bite back and tell me I don't understand, let me say that I am intimately familiar with suicide and the misery it brings into people's lives. There are folks here who know what I'm talking about.

As somebody who has been seriously affected by suicide I feel able to point out that the title OneTampa has used for his thread is not offensive. "Offed" is just a term people use. A perfectly normal word from the vernacular.

This isn't a case of OneTampa being insensitive, it's a case of you being overly sensitive.

Moreover there is an assumption implicit in your criticism of One. You assume that he has no understanding of what it is like to deal with depression. You assume that he has no appreciation of how devastating suicidal ideations can be for those afflicted by them.

Now I don't know what One's experience of these things is like, that's for him to say should he feel so behoved but I think it's a bit rough to jump to a conclusion about that on the basis of how he's titled a thread.

I'm aware that your having Asperger's makes online exchanges difficult for you from time to time, but I really do think you've over-reacted here.

MtD

Matty-

I also like you very much, but I think you're off base. I don't think my statement makes any assumptions about whether or not One has dealt with any of the same issues I have or any issues related to depression/suicide/etc. I don't get where you read into that out of my post.

And no, I don't see how I'm overreacting. If this was a post about domestic violence and it was titled "So and so was smacked around" do you think that would be a good way to refer to a victim of domestic violence? No! Similarly, I don't think "offed himself" is a respectful way to refer to someone who committed suicide. It has nothing to do with my Asperger's, and everything to do with being a compassionate human being.

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »

Matty-

I also like you very much, but I think you're off base. I don't think my statement makes any assumptions about whether or not One has dealt with any of the same issues I have or any issues related to depression/suicide/etc. I don't get where you read into that out of my post.

And no, I don't see how I'm overreacting. If this was a post about domestic violence and it was titled "So and so was smacked around" do you think that would be a good way to refer to a victim of domestic violence? No! Similarly, I don't think "offed himself" is a respectful way to refer to someone who committed suicide. It has nothing to do with my Asperger's, and everything to do with being a compassionate human being.

odyssey
Oh geesh.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »

Matty-

odyssey

Well we'll have to agree to disagree I think.

One thing, where I come from referring to domestic violence as "being smacked around" is actually quite common and not considered offensive, so I don't actually have a problem with that particular use of words.

But let us not hijack this thread.

MtD

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:11 pm »
I agree with the Evil One from OZ. I'm also not a stranger to depression, suicide, etc and I was not at all offended.

Having said that, although the Mark Madoff thing is yet another sad event in the outrageous and endlessly fascinating (to me, anyway) Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme scandal, I can't help but wonder that much of Mark's assets were acquired through the stolen money. There were lawsuits in place aiming to come after it.  And even though there were no imminent plans to criminally indict him, he might have been indicted at some point (if they could prove he knew what was going on).

He owned not only the expensive condo in which he killed himself but also houses in Greenwich. CT and in Nantucket, among other liquid assets and financial instruments. In short, he was loaded.

Even assuming he did not know about the scheme, these are items that were likely purchased via "loans" from Bernie, not from whatever high compensation he received for his work at the firm. There are records that he took out millions from the firm as personal loans.

It must have been hard growing up with all that corruption, being the son of Bernie and Ruth.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:13:16 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:39 pm »

odyssey

I agree completely.

You should've said he passed himself away.

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 08:59:44 am »
The real tragedy is for the otherwise trusting investors who now have to get jobs after retiring, as was the case of one 70 year old man who now must work a 7 day week.  It’s scary that seemingly intelligent and somewhat savvy investors would fall victim to a scheme such as this but even what seems like safe investments may not be so anymore, bringing into play the fears so many of us have that the financial system is so precarious and tenuous worldwide.   Despite Republican and conservatives insisting otherwise a system that allows for such excesses by so few is not a healthy economic system, certainly not for the little guy.
The younger Madoff body went unclaimed by his wife, mother and brother and was finally cremated.   Meanwhile Bernie continues his well deserved 150 year prison sentence in North Carolina.  Again, a horror for all involved, especially the victims of fraud, a Shakesperian tragedy  in the making what with anger, disappointment, hatred, distrust, fear and loathing involved.   Forgiveness is a difficult emotion to feel, much as one might try. 

Jody  ::) ??? :o >:( :( :-[
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:36:29 am »
inly not for the little guy.
The younger Madoff body went unclaimed by his wife, mother and brother and was finally cremated.   Meanwhile Bernie continues his well deserved 150 year prison sentence in North Carolina.  Again, a horror for all involved, especially the victims of fraud, a Shakesperian tragedy  in the making what with anger, disappointment, hatred, distrust, fear and loathing involved.   Forgiveness is a difficult emotion to feel, much as one might try.  

Jody  ::) ??? :o >:( :( :-[

WOW, this the part I find a troubling "The younger Madoff body went unclaimed by his wife, mother and brother and was finally cremated"  WOW  it seems like his whole family ,and his wife kinda made him out to be this fall-guy, I mean, I can understand that they may NOT have wanted to be involved, but to treat your own family member like this, after his demise shows how deep this FRAUD really went family wide
and when it comes to a lot of $$$$ I'm guessing DEATH mattered not to them, it certainly didn't matter how the victims suffered a loss with this scam, so I would assume, The younger Madoff was just part of all this collateral damage to the remaining family members   ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:43:20 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 11:07:51 am »
The younger Madoff body went unclaimed by his wife, mother and brother and was finally cremated.  

Ponzi scion Mark Madoff will be quietly cremated with no funeral  - and his family will mourn his death privately, sources said Tuesday.

A source close to the family said they did not plan to hold any service or viewing. A second source said the family would likely hold a private memorial at home at a later date.

"The family wants to avoid a media circus," one source said.

To say that the body went "unclaimed" by his family is misleading and vague. What does that even mean? Just because they chose not to have a funeral service? Is the family supposed to go and personally pick up the cadaver and drive it to the funeral home themselves for cremation? I'm sure that the funeral home that arranged for the cremation will be sending their bill to the appropriate party, likely his wife. I don't see how this can be characterized as "unclaimed?" Unless I'm missing something here.

I suspect that the family probably needed a day or two to decide their plans prompting some in the media to say that the body went "unclaimed."

LINK:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/14/2010-12-14_mark_madoffs_body_moved_from_city_morgue_to_manhattan_funeral_home.html#ixzz18I6rI6j6

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:19:44 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 11:38:53 am »
Well this subject is kind close to my heart as I had 2 partners DIE of AIDS back in the 90s, I do know that only a family member (next-of-kin) or a legally married spouse can arrange any burial plans, sadly I wasn't able to do any of this back then, but in a way, I was lucky that the family came and took over things , at least that part of it, but the part that really pissed me off was the fact that I had NO SAY SO, and that was kinda hard to deal with, of course, I didn't want to offend any one in the family, but it really mattered NOT what I though of my 2 dearly departed partners, the family members had their own agenda there, and I was just in-the-way  ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:46:25 am by denb45 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:39 pm »
I wonder how many of the people who Madoff conned ended up committing suicide?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »
I wonder how many of the people who Madoff conned ended up committing suicide?

There's at least one other, Rene-Thierry Magon de la Villehuchet.

Madoff Investor’s Suicide Leaves Questions

LINK:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/02/business/02madoff.html

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 02:26:44 pm »
And another:

Retired British Army Maj. William Foxton, 65, shot himself on Feb. 10, 2009, after losing his life's earnings in the Ponzi scheme.

LINK:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/12/2010-12-12_victims_of_ponzi_schemer_bernie_madoff_get_no_joy_from_suicide_of_son_mark_many_.html#ixzz18IvsRBXw

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.