Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 337
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I am horrified.  (Read 11868 times)

Offline Discovery

I am horrified.
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:09:45 pm »
Hi there.

Nice I  found this site, so many wonderful people are active here and provide helpful information. I have a concern about getting Hiv from visiting a dentist. I know such infection is rare, but can I do anything just to be certain the risk is minimal? I should discuss that stuff with my dentist, but I am ashamed. Really. It's not funny. What are the risks to contract hiv when visiting dentist?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hiv from dentist
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 07:20:27 pm »
Zero and yes we know that it has happen by the same dentist in the early 90s. If you feel uncomfortable about it talk with your dentist.

Offline Discovery

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:29:59 pm »
Exactly. You know that I am talking about that case in Miami, that happened in 1990. Although not proven for sure, it is believed that dentist infected 5-6 people. So if everything was ok, how is that possible? I was told by a friend of mine that some dentists use single-use instruments only, but for those who sterelize their instruments is my concern. And I feel very uncomfortable to go and ask my dentist: "Excuse me, are you sure you are enough good when you sterilize your instruments?" It sounds bad and impolite.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:35:34 pm »
If you are really concerned about "offending the Dentist"  ask his assistant..he/she is probably the one actually  "sterilizing the equipment..... "  Just ask for a demonstration of how the equipment is  cleaned/sterilized...most people love to show you what they are doing....and this is something they should be proud of...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 07:58:54 pm »
Didn't that Miami case happen before they made national guidelines for dentistry or something?  I recall that.

You really have zero risk Discovery.  If there was a risk you'd see tons of people infected this way by now.  You're emotionally latching onto one case in Miami that happened 17 years ago when the epidemic was new, and which was never even conclusively proven.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:57:34 pm »
You have zero risk from the dentist.  The case of the dentist (last name Acer, cannot remember his first name) not only has never been conclusively proven that he even infected those people, but there is evidence that if he did, it was purposeful.  You just are so unlikely to run into such a situation, that you can safely say zero.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 10:37:47 pm »
Discovery, it isn't that such transmission is "rare." Except for that single case in Florida, around which the details were actually quite murky, there hasn't been a single other confirmed case.

Considering how common dental care and other medical services are in the general community, we would have known long before today if the now universal health practices weren't doing the job of protecting clients and healthcare providers in such settings.

So this really is not a serious issue in terms of getting dental care.

I can't help wondering how well informed you are about HIV transmission in general. Please read our lesson about the subject. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. It covers all of the basics and ought to help relieve your concerns.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:10:02 am »
As I remember it, the actual facts surrounding at least one of the alleged "victims" painted a very different picture of reality from what she'd said. Specifically, she also tested positive for HPV, which is sexually transmitted. Evidentially her presumed "chastity" was more important than telling the truth. The declared infections were publicized only after the dentist's death when he had no chance to defend himself.

Dental equipment is sterilized after each use. It is totally safe.

Brent
(Who is no longer put off by the hazmat suit worn by hygienists)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Discovery

Hiv from a Bayer Drug
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:35:54 pm »
Many people contracted hiv from a drug. Please, take a look here:

Is such thing possible OR that is a TV crap?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:32:46 pm by anniebc »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Hiv from a Bayer Drug
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:32 pm »
Please keep any additional thoughts questions or concerns in your original thread. Please don't start new ones. If you can't find your original thread click on the "Show own posts" link in the left hand corner of any forums page.

As for this video link you've posted, it's old news and I really don't think any good will come of posting it in a forum like AMI.

Reported.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Hiv from a Bayer Drug
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 11:36:22 pm »
Hi Discovery

I have deleted your link...I really don't think it's appropriate to the "AM I" forum..and as matty said "it's old news and no good would come of it"...and please do keep your additional thoughts in your original thread....thanks for your cooperation.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 05:50:24 am »
Disc,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

This controversy with Bayer had to do with blood clotting products and yes, it is possible and it did happen. Unless you are a hemophiliac, you have nothing to worry about over this case. Thousands of hemophiliacs were infected with hiv during the 80s and early 90s via blood clotting products and not just from Bayer. One of them, Shawn Decker, writes a blog in our HIV Blog section of this website.

The Bayer thing is nothing to do with you.

I suggest you seek the assistance of a mental health care professional to help you find ways of coping with your hiv obsession. We can't help you with that here. Sorry.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Discovery

Was I at risk?
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 02:28:22 pm »
Hi, people.

I know here is the right place to ask any concerns about hiv. I have a problem. I am scared of what happened today. I stopped on a gas station to pump mu tyres and while looking for some sharp stick I touched a syringe. I didn't touch the needle, neither I pricked myself. I just touched the outside part of the syringe. The reason I am scared is because I have a knife cuts on some of my fingers and I am afraid that these small cuts came in touch with the syringe. Was I at risk on this accidend and do I need to test for hiv?
Thanks a lot.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Was I at risk?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 04:44:55 pm »
Disc,

I've had to merge your threads again. Please read the Welcome Thread and pay attention to the posting guidelines.

While you're in the Welcome thread, make sure you click on the Transmission Lesson link and read those pages as well. You keep coming back with scenarios that are in no way risks for hiv transmission.

Hiv is not transmitted from objects in the environment. It cannot physically happen.

Please seek some face-to-face help with your intense hiv phobia. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Discovery

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 11:23:18 pm »
Thank you, Ann.

At least I feel better now. I've asked the same question in different forum and the answers there freaked me out. They say I should take a test, you say to me I do not need PEP, neither a test. I am confused now, do not know what to think about.

1/ since you did have open wounds the you should probably get tested to be on the safe side

you never know where the syringe came from

however since you never touched the needle i wouldnt be worried about it

2/ There is NO WAY I am going near a syringe,,,,except to maybe sweep it up into a dust pant and dispose of it that way, but to literally pick it up....what were you thinking? Go and have yourself tested anyway otherwise you're gonna worry yourself to death...........and keep your hands off the nasty things form now on.....yes mam

"You should probably get tested" and "Have yourself tested anyway" does not sound very promissing to me.

Do these people need a mental help as well or they are simply not educated about the hiv transmission?

If the truth is really awful and I need to test I can accept it. But it is better to know that truth now, cause if PEP is needed I have less than 60 hours from now.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 06:58:45 am »
Disc,

Most other hiv forums allow anyone to answer questions. We only allow people who have a good knowledge of hiv transmission and testing to answer questions here.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection simply by touching a syringe. No way, no how.

And please don't come back with what-iffs. The answer isn't going to change. You had NO RISK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Discovery

I am horrified.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 01:37:46 pm »
Hi there.

I am extremly horrified of what happened a couple of hours ago. While going to a meeting with a guy (who I don't know well) I noticed a cut on my finger and a blood. I washed my hands, but didn't cover the cut. And then on the meeting may be 10 minutes after the handswash we shaked hands...you know as a good manners. At that time I completely forgot about my fingercut. So now a fear arise in my mind - what if the guy was hiv + and also had some fingercuts on his hand. Could you tell me was I at risk and should I get tested? Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

Re: I am horrified.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:11 pm »
You were never at risk. Reread everything you've come to this forum about and then tell us that professional mental help is not needed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »
Disc,

We don't seem to be getting through to you. Not only do you keep starting new threads contrary to our posting guidelines, but you've been coming here long enough now to know the basics of hiv transmission.

Shaking hands, with or without cuts, is certainly NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you won't be the first.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection - because unprotected intercourse is really the only way you're going to become hiv positive.

It's beginning to sound like you're suffering from hiv phobia. We cannot help you with that here. You should think seriously about seeing a therapist face-to-face about this. Hiv is not an easy virus to get and to worry about shaking hands with people is just silly.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Discovery

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 02:35:28 pm »
Thank you, guys for your promp answers. I understand my threads might be frustrating or even obnoxious. Well, I apologize for that and I appreciate your quick responses. Well. I read a lot and I know the ways hiv is transmitted. However, some situations are a little confusing. I will tell you why - because everywhere you can read: hiv is not transmitted by handshake. However, when it comes to a blood involved then cases begin to vary. When there is blood-to-blood contact there is risk, right? Well, that is the main reason I am asking this - not to check your knowledge (obviousely you know much more than me), but because some elements of the story make me confused. And that is my point, if there is even a theoritical chance for infection is in that case hiv test recommended?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:39 pm »
A test is not recommended. If one had been we would have advised you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 02:43:39 pm »
Disc,

Theoretically, if you both were in an accident immediately before you shook hands, and you both cut your hands deeply and were dripping with blood when you shook hands, then yes, maybe  you might get infected, provided of course that the other guy was even hiv positive to begin with.

Now tell me. Were both of you dripping with blood? No? Then you're worrying needlessly, yet again.

Please seek professional help for this phobia of yours. I'm afraid there's nothing more we can do for you here.

Just remember to use condoms for intercourse and you'll be fine where hiv is concerned. Really.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Discovery

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »
Thank you, Ann and RapidRod !

Offline Discovery

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 05:42:18 am »
Hi, all.

Two nights ago I had protected sex with a woman who I didn't know well. The condom didn't break, but I noticed she was inserting her fingers into her vagina and at the end when I removed the condom she began doing a handjob on my penis with the same hand. After removing the condom I also touched its surface with my hand having a contact with her vaginal fluids and then rubbed my penis. My concern is that these vaginal fluids came in contact with my penis. I also performed oral sex on her and today I noticed I have an inflammation in my mouth. I am afraid I might contacted something via oral sex.
Today I am feeling totally exhausted and constantly tired. I don't know what my risk is and have I done something wrong. Please, any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 08:44:56 am »
Disc,

Absolutely nothing you report was a risk for hiv infection. You did the right thing and used a condom for intercourse. You did NOT have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Discovery

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »
Thanks, Ann for the answer.

However, today 5 days after the incident I feel exhausted, tiredness in my legs and arms, shortness of breath and I feel nausea. These symptoms drive me crazy. I don't know what to think, I have the feeling that I might contracted hiv through giving her oral sex, cause I had some inflammation in my mouth that night.  :( I did a huge mistake by licking her vagina, I am so sorry for doing that, I regret now. The other big concern as I said before is that she rubbed my penis after touching her vagina. You said it is not risky, but how come it is not risky when she had some vaginal fluids everywhere on her fingers and with the same fingers she gave me a handjob. I don't understand this. And the last thing I forgot to mention in my last post - I also touched the outside of the condom where there are vaginal fluids too and then after I removed the condom I began rubbing my penis too.

I am freaking out, feeling so depressed all the day and all these symptoms just kill my day. I can not stop thinking of the symptoms and why things went wrong. At work I am so inconsistent, unable to concentrate. I think I should take a hiv test, but it is too early right now, is there a way to take hiv test, not antibody test, but a test searching for the virus? I can not wait 13 weeks...  :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 08:48:13 pm »
You're just indulging in a lot of what ifs which have absolutely no basis in HIV science. HIV is not passed from vaginal fluids on hands or other body parts. Even if the woman was HIV+, the area of the vagina where HIV might be found is far up in the cervix, which is not where either her or your fingers would reach.

You've been told before and I'm going to say it just once again: the only confirmed risks sexually for the tranmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms for those activities consistently and you won't have any problems with HIV sexually because everything else is only theoretically risky.

I am also going to warn you that you can't keep coming here with every what if you come up with. You're going to end up getting a 38 Day Time Out from the site if you continue to do that.

HIV is not your problem and it won't be if you use condoms for intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:19 pm »
I am sorry you remain so upset at the thought of contracting HIV. As I am sure you are aware, licking her vagina presents no risk for HIV infection. Vaginal fluidsNothing whatsoever you report has EVER resulted in the transmission of HIV. And if you scroll up this thread you will see that the same fears and remarkably similar situations have been addressed to you, personally, already.

Your irrational fear of HIV is well beyond the scope of this forum. I hope you find the strength and courage to address these fears with an appropriate therapist.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Discovery

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 07:20:44 pm »
My symptoms and condition are worsening every single day :( Now I do feel abdominal pain, in the right, just under the ribs, where the liver is. I am sure she infected me with Hepatitis B or C. But my biggest fear now is co-infection with hiv. Because all that tiredness and nausea continue and are worsening every single day. I can not sleep, I can not eat, can not concentrate at work, my life is a nightmare. Now when I go back at what she has told me about her sexual life, she told me a month ago she was feeling very sick. So if she was infected at that time (I knew she had unprotected sex a few weeks before her illness and I ignored that), her viral load at the night we had sex was very high making it very likely to contract the virus. I can not forgive myself I knew that things and I had sex with her. Cause having oral sex with somebody with high viral load is really risky behaviour. :( Not to mention I have masturbated just after touching the condom's surface where her vaginal fluids are present :(
The worst thing I saw was last night - a swollen lymph node under my armpit. It is swollen and very painful. I didn't sleep the whole night. Isn't that a certain hiv symptom, especially under these circumstances?!
Sorry to post here again, but I felt the need to share somewhere my fears.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »
Disc,

How many times do you have to be told that you did not have a risk for hiv infection?

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Discovery

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:08 pm »
I tested negative 2 months after my accident. It was so hard time of fear and stress, will never forget the sleepless nights during that time.

First, I would like to apologize for repeating my postings and coming back with all that symptoms. I was really afraid and needed you guys to constantly repeat one and the same consolation words. I'm sorry.

Second, I want to say thank you to Ann, Andy and jkinatl2 for all the accurate info and for their understanding and support. You guys are incredible.

Third, I appeal anyone who is reading this and who is concerned about their hiv status due to any recent accident - guys, just listen to Ann, Andy and jkinatl2. These people know a lot, they will never give you bad advice or confuse you with anything. I can say this is the most accurate site on the internet as far as the ways of transmiting hiv are concerned.

God bless. Peace. Thank you !

Offline Discovery

Did they infect me with Hiv ?
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:02 pm »
I was hospitalized on July 25th, 2012 in an ER in Worcester, MA, because of a kidney crisis. They put me on systems and gave me some painkillers through the vein. Today, 15 day later I developed a rash on my skin. Actually there are two pimples - one on my arm, next to the elbow and one under my chest. I am worried, they may have infected me with Hiv throw dirty infected needles. I didn't pay attention if needles were sterile, cause I was in such a big pain. I doubt these pimples could be through mosquiotoes, cause 1st - they do not itch, and 2nd - how can a mosquito go under my shirt and bite me under the chest. I am very, very worried :( I viewed some rash pictures on line and some of them look pretty much like mine. I made a picture here:
http://prikachi.com/images/847/5120847t.jpg

I don't know what to think :(

Offline RapidRod

Re: Did they infect me with Hiv ?
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »
Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline Discovery

Re: Did they infect me with Hiv ?
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »
I do apologize for that. I just didn't find my old postings, therefore, I decided to start a new one. The moderator can merge my post into the old ones. Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »
I've merged your threads here. This is the only thread which you should be using as is stated in the opening thread of this section.

Of course there is not a shred of science-based fact to think you have been exposed to HIV through needles during your hospital stay. This is all what ifs and fanciful thoughts on your part. You have a history here of overreacting with regard to HIV concerns.

We're not going to indulge that sort of behavior on your part. You did not have a risk for HIV nor are any of your "symptoms" suggestive of HIV. If you come back with more of this kind of stuff you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Cut out the drama and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.