Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CA Proposition 8 exit polling  (Read 45225 times)

Offline StrongGuy

Re: CA Proposition 8 exit polling
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2008, 02:52:43 pm »
ust curious, if desegregation was put to popular vote, would it  have passed? If the laws prohibiting interracial marriage were put to popular vote, would they have passed?

Civil rights issues have routinely been decided by the courts, rather than popular vote.

I have to agree with JK on this. The courts are a constitutional check and this would be, sadly, an even more ass backward country if the courts didn't take the reigns on civil rights from a constitutional  perspective. The courts were set up to prevent "mob rule."

On a side note, I am not at all shocked by this result. Give it another few years and another ballot initiative will come up changing the Cali constitution and there wil be more on our side to pass it. We are on the cusp. Just look at how the youth vote voted "NO" in huge margins. It's a setback, but we'll get there sonner than we think.
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Iggy

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 03:24:52 pm »
I'm not certain if anyone has already posted this, but a cursory search didn't reveal so.  If I am wrong, my apologies for the duplication.

I think it is quite important that we see where the money has come from:

We present the Californians Against Hate Dishonor Roll. We want the country to know who is funding the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign to take away marriage equality in California. So right up until the November 4th election, we will post all major donors on our web site. These are all donors who gave $5000.00 and over, many way over! We've taken public information from the California Secretary of State’s Office and added telephone numbers and web sites when available. We also included commentary on some of the more interesting and controversial donors. Individuals and businesses have given a vast amount of money to take away are our recently attained freedom to marry in California, and we want you to know who they are.

http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/dishonorRoll.html

Offline David_CA

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2008, 04:47:26 pm »
Iggy,
Thanks for posting that link.  I'm going to forward it to my friends in CA that are effected by Prop 8.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2008, 09:00:51 pm »
I'm Sorry, Epidemiology reports in California and probably the rest of the country show, the highest risk for new infections of HIV to be:
1. monogamously married women, over 40, with no drug usage claimed
2. Hispanic men and women
3. Afro-American men
4. Gay men

This report is available through the Department of Health in any county and the trending has not varied for several years.  Gay men are not the biggest affected group and haven't been for quite some time  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(former Commissioner on the Sonoma county Commission on AIDS)

Apologies for the hijack -- just noting that reports for the US are available from the CDC at
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/incidence.htm

... and they show that over half of infections are due to male to male sexual contact -- only 27% of new infections were among women. 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:41 pm »
Last night there were over a 1,000 people at a candlelight vigil in the midtown area of Sacramento and at the capitol there were about 400 circling half way around the capitol building in a peaceful demonstration. There were a wonderful mix of straight, lesbian and gay couples and families. I helped to remind people not to react to the Yes on 8 people that had gathered to intimidate us.

The chants of WE Won! We won! and the occasional "You all are going to Hell!" probably would have made Rev Phelps proud, but we stood mostly silent for 3 hours. One young Russian got in my face and called me a FAGGOT but I didn't react as I stood next to a family that held a sign saying "Having two Mommies Rocks!" (they had come all the way down from Paradise,CA)

If anything this disheartening, outcome has brought about awareness, and inspiration to work together to bring about change.

There is another rally tonight at the capitol at 7 pm

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »
On another site, I got mail from a gay christian who informed me that he had also voted to protect marriage as only between one man and one woman.  A little snooping (and a confession shortly thereafter) revealed that he was "bi" and diddling around with guys on the side.  Oh...but the wifey knows, of course, so the sanctity is still intact. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2008, 10:16:51 pm »
Judge not, lest thee be judged, Timberly
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2008, 02:32:03 am »
It doesn't cover the cost of production, TV time is one of the most expensive advertising mediums.  But the spots aired did not show gay people because gay people were not the target audience, gay people were expected to vote No on 8, it was our neighbors and others who needed to be convinced Prop 8 was about Human Rights and Equality.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Maybe gays were taken a bit too much for granted. You could show gay and lesbians all the No on prop 8 ads, and they still wouldn't have any idea that the proposition was about banning same-sex marriage.

As to targetting the neighbors and others, we might have convinced them we were fine people and should be allow to marry or remain married, if the No campaign had dared show our faces. But the No campaign waw too afraid. It's really hard to convince people of something when you don't even talk about the subject at all.

The no campaign actually raised more money than the yes side, but that money could have been put to better use.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2008, 02:36:10 am »
From what I read and heard, the "NO" campaign was very poorly conducted.

Yes, that much is very obvious.

Offline Robert

« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2008, 02:44:23 am »
here is an entry that allows you to look up  Prop. 8 contributors  by zip code or state or donor's name.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2008, 02:46:12 am »
I think if you were prepared to make a donation of one size when you made your request to them, then that would have stayed the same regardless of their answer unless you valued your view of how the issue should be presented as more important then the winning against the Ballot itself.

If you don't get that, then we are just not going to see eye-to-eye on this issue, but I reiterate my modified point in the last post that I think this represents the flip side of the same coin in getting the gay community to get behind issues that benefit them.

Regardless of how I feel about the issue, and that is to say, extremely strongly, I couldn't justify giving more money than I did to a campaign that was throwing good money after bad. If I had believed that my making the larger donation to that campaign had some chance of making a difference in the final outcome, without the campaign also changing strategy, I would have made that larger donation in a heartbeat.

I am hardly the only one who has been critical of the handling of the No campaign. I didn't want to be critical publicly before their failure - prophecies have a way of being self-fullfilling -, but many others were not as shy. Try watching back episodes of Gay USA on FSTV for example.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2008, 03:12:49 am »
Maybe gays were taken a bit too much for granted. You could show gay and lesbians all the No on prop 8 ads, and they still wouldn't have any idea that the proposition was about banning same-sex marriage.

As to targetting the neighbors and others, we might have convinced them we were fine people and should be allow to marry or remain married, if the No campaign had dared show our faces. But the No campaign waw too afraid. It's really hard to convince people of something when you don't even talk about the subject at all.

The no campaign actually raised more money than the yes side, but that money could have been put to better use.

I didn't know the No campaign raised more money than the Yes.  I did see the list of donations which was included in this tread by Iggy.  The largest contributions to Yes on 8 came from other states, most of the California contributions came from Orange County, a must win in our state for a Republican candidate.  Like the Obama campaign, the Yes on 8 volunteers went door to door, in neighborhoods where the opposition (us) would not expect them to.  These people do not care about facts or trust advertising, headlines.  They care about their church losing it's non-profit status and their children learning about homosexuality in pre-school.  The 60 second spot in heavy rotation on prime time featuring the California Superintendent of Schools saying that was not the case in California, could knock that one back into reality.

Have you ever read the "Ask Betty" column in PlanetOut?  As the mother of Ellen and a proud member of PFLAG, she would have been an excellent spokes model, as would any number of gay (and straight) celebrities but, I don't think the average openly gay man, woman or couple, like you and I , our friends could be a good representation to promote the cause.

I've owned an advertising agency and managed a million dollar book of business and from that experience, I learned to work with the local press on HIV issues, which were no longer considered news.  It is an hour and a half drive from my house to San Francisco, the daily drive and the cost would have been more than I can do but, in a perfect world, I know how to handle a budget for advertising and how to work the press for all the freebies.  I would have loved being part of this but in a County which voted 128,455 No on 8, 66.1% to 65,898 Yes on 8, 33.9%, there was no need for my help here.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline randym431

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2008, 03:31:01 am »
Rights and law should only be decided by courts.
What has been done in Ca. is nothing short of a group lynching
of civil rights.
This will be headed to the US Supreme court, as it should be.
And it should succeed, nullifying any and all state amendments.
Issues like this can not be left to the states.
Civil rights must be uniform across the country.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2008, 01:20:31 am »
Some of you may find this post-election polling analysis of interest:

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/dicamillo_polling_on_prop_8_ca.php

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2008, 10:38:58 am »

An interesting link showing the effect of advertising on the outcome of Prop 8.  Thanks for posting.

No disputing the effect that clever advertising can have on the public perception.

It's interesting to note that there are 1.3 million GLB people in CA (estimated).  If everyone of them had convinced just one person to change their vote, Prop 8 would have failed by 800,000 votes.  And that would not have cost a nickel.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2008, 10:59:50 am »
I believe with all my heart that Prop 8 was just a "last gasp" for those opposed to gay marriage.  It's just a matter of time before it's overturned in courts.   The progression of this issue is so similar to blacks fight for civil rights--exept I think that it will happen a lot more quickly for gays because the foundation for it has already been laid from what happened in the sixties.  This is a due process issue pure and simple.  Civil Unions are not good enough.  That's just like saying that "separate but equal" is o.k., when we settled that question over 40 years ago.

While Pres Obama the politician hasn't supported gay marriage, I'd be willing to bet my house, car, and dog that Pres Obama the person supports it whole heartedly.  When the time is right, I think he will do the right thing.  I can't imagine he'd do a Bill Clinton on it.

I am an African American woman and I am embarassed that my community is so homophobic.  A little over 70% of Blacks in CA supported the marriage ban.  You would think that since we know how it feels to be discriminated against that we wouldn't do it to others, but unfortunately that is not the case.  Most blacks have Southern roots, and so blacks generally are conservative on all issues that aren't race related.  Many blacks become defensive when you compare the gay rights movement with the Civil Rights movement of the 60's.  Somehow they think that racism and homophobia are completely different animals, but they both spring from the same well of bigotry.  Blacks also lag behind when it comes to women's rights, which I believe to be closely linked with gay rights.  The black community suffers in many ways from our small-mindedness on this issue.  

And on religion, most of the people who say they are Christians are not true Christians--just people who like to feel like they are better than others.  It's not only gays, but pretty much anybody who doesn't walk in lockstep with them.  I still consider myself to be a Christian(Baptist), but I don't belong to any church.  I can't take judgmental holier than though attitudes and hypocrisy.  

Anyway, I think change is gong to come very quickly especially since we have more examples of gays and gay marriage on T.V.  While there are always going to be people who hate, I think the American people as a whole are becoming much, much more comfortable with the idea.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2008, 11:27:06 am »
Unions are not good enough.  That's just like saying that "separate but equal" is o.k.

For most of us, it's all or nothing, why take some half-baked civil union, that doesn't offer the REAL THING,
that's not equal in my eyes  ??? I want the same State & Federal benefits as everyone else, not some half-assed State crap, that says I'm separate, but not really equal  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2008, 01:31:47 pm »
I am an African American woman and I am embarassed that my community is so homophobic.  A little over 70% of Blacks in CA supported the marriage ban.  You would think that since we know how it feels to be discriminated against that we wouldn't do it to others, but unfortunately that is not the case.  Most blacks have Southern roots, and so blacks generally are conservative on all issues that aren't race related.  Many blacks become defensive when you compare the gay rights movement with the Civil Rights movement of the 60's.  Somehow they think that racism and homophobia are completely different animals, but they both spring from the same well of bigotry.  Blacks also lag behind when it comes to women's rights, which I believe to be closely linked with gay rights.  The black community suffers in many ways from our small-mindedness on this issue.  

Here is an interesting article from the L.A. Times on the topic: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gayblack8-2008nov08,0,1601616.story.

One complicating factor was that both sides in the campaign had plausible reason to claim Obama's support. The president-elect strongly stated his opposition to the proposition, calling it "divisive and discriminatory."

But he has also said in public speeches that he opposes same-sex marriage. In the days leading up to the election, some Democrats received "robo-calls" on their cellphones containing an excerpt from such a speech.

"Here is Barack Obama in his own words on the definition of marriage," the call began.

Then the voice of Obama speaking to a crowd comes on: "I believe marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God is in the mix."

A narrator then urged a yes vote on Proposition 8.

I didn't know about this robo-call until I read this article. I'm sure this was an effective tactic, particularly among African-Americans who were waffling on the issue. When Obama says gay marriage is wrong it carries a lot of weight.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2008, 03:11:32 pm »
Here is an interesting article from the L.A. Times on the topic: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gayblack8-2008nov08,0,1601616.story.

One complicating factor was that both sides in the campaign had plausible reason to claim Obama's support. The president-elect strongly stated his opposition to the proposition, calling it "divisive and discriminatory."

But he has also said in public speeches that he opposes same-sex marriage. In the days leading up to the election, some Democrats received "robo-calls" on their cellphones containing an excerpt from such a speech.

"Here is Barack Obama in his own words on the definition of marriage," the call began.

Then the voice of Obama speaking to a crowd comes on: "I believe marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God is in the mix."

A narrator then urged a yes vote on Proposition 8.

I didn't know about this robo-call until I read this article. I'm sure this was an effective tactic, particularly among African-Americans who were waffling on the issue. When Obama says gay marriage is wrong it carries a lot of weight.

That's what happens when democrats don't take a clear position on the issue gay marriage. It really doesn't make a lot of sense to say that you don't believe in same-sex marriage, and at the same time oppose Proposition 8 - whose sole effect is to prohibit same-sex marriage. Yet that was Obama's position, and the position of a lot of other Democrats.

I had reservations about voting for Obama in the general election because of this inconsistent position, but I still did.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:50 pm »
For most of us, it's all or nothing, why take some half-baked civil union, that doesn't offer the REAL THING,
that's not equal in my eyes  ??? I want the same State & Federal benefits as everyone else, not some half-assed State crap, that says I'm separate, but not really equal  ???

I'm completely with you there. The state benefits are only 1/3rd of the story. The most important benefits of marriage are federal ones, such as join tax filing and social security benefits.

At this time, there isn't any recognition of any same-sex civil union, domestic partnership, or marriage at the federal level. Our best bet is to get same-sex marriage recognized eventually at the federal level.

Also, there were 9 legal differences between domestic partnerships and marriage in the state of California. They were fairly minor, but still, they were not equal statutes, and they were clearly separate.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2008, 03:48:43 pm »

I think it's incomplete. I saw plenty of polls showing the Yes ahead before the final result.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2008, 03:50:59 pm »
*sigh*  They're trying to show a trend, dear -- and they clearly state this if you read.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »
While Pres Obama the politician hasn't supported gay marriage, I'd be willing to bet my house, car, and dog that Pres Obama the person supports it whole heartedly.  When the time is right, I think he will do the right thing.  I can't imagine he'd do a Bill Clinton on it.

I wish I could be as optimistic about Obama as you are - I would never make these bets. But I hope you are right. What matters is what Obama the President will do. It's way too early to tell.

I am an African American woman and I am embarassed that my community is so homophobic.  A little over 70% of Blacks in CA supported the marriage ban.  You would think that since we know how it feels to be discriminated against that we wouldn't do it to others, but unfortunately that is not the case.  Most blacks have Southern roots, and so blacks generally are conservative on all issues that aren't race related.  Many blacks become defensive when you compare the gay rights movement with the Civil Rights movement of the 60's.  Somehow they think that racism and homophobia are completely different animals, but they both spring from the same well of bigotry.  Blacks also lag behind when it comes to women's rights, which I believe to be closely linked with gay rights.  The black community suffers in many ways from our small-mindedness on this issue. 

While it is embarassing that blacks voted so overwhelmingly in favor of Prop 8, let's not forget that they only make up less than the 10% of the electorate in California. There is plenty of blame to go around among everybody else who voted for it.

In particular, it wasn't blacks who put the heinous initiative on the California ballot in the first place, and funded its campaign.

Blacks were merely gullible enough to swallow their argument whole.

And on religion, most of the people who say they are Christians are not true Christians--just people who like to feel like they are better than others.  It's not only gays, but pretty much anybody who doesn't walk in lockstep with them.  I still consider myself to be a Christian(Baptist), but I don't belong to any church.  I can't take judgmental holier than though attitudes and hypocrisy. 

Anyway, I think change is gong to come very quickly especially since we have more examples of gays and gay marriage on T.V.  While there are always going to be people who hate, I think the American people as a whole are becoming much, much more comfortable with the idea.

The whole question of religion shouldn't even come into play since the initiative was about civil marriage, not about religious marriage.

Many polls of Californians have shown they are in favor of gay marriage. But apparently, not all of them are registered to vote, or showed up to vote against the ban.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2008, 06:07:47 pm »
*sigh*  They're trying to show a trend, dear -- and they clearly state this if you read.

There was no such trend. I followed the polls on prop 8 on a near daily basis. I saw plenty of losing polls, many of them sent by the No campaign right to my inbox to solicit more funding. This article only mentions some of the Field and PPIC polls. It's disingenuous at best.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2008, 06:58:34 pm »
There was no such trend. I followed the polls on prop 8 on a near daily basis. I saw plenty of losing polls, many of them sent by the No campaign right to my inbox to solicit more funding. This article only mentions some of the Field and PPIC polls. It's disingenuous at best.

I look forward to your averaging out every single poll result and presenting your astute trending analysis on this thread.  Many thanks.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2008, 07:47:37 pm »
well here are a few of your "minor differences" between domestic partnerships and marriage.

http://www.letcaliforniaring.org/site/c.ltJTJ6MQIuE/b.3348081/k.B080/Facts.htm#versus

This failure is certainly a wake up call for California.

Just get out there an do something and stop complaining that your donation didn't make a difference. The Yes on H8 were going door to door, talking in churches and community groups, and community colleges to get there message out and it worked.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »
well here are a few of your "minor differences" between domestic partnerships and marriage.

http://www.letcaliforniaring.org/site/c.ltJTJ6MQIuE/b.3348081/k.B080/Facts.htm#versus

Thanks. I was only about minor differences between the state rights of a California same-sex marriage and a California same-sex domestic partnership .

Some of them are described in this article http://www.examiner.com/x-358-SF-City-Hall-Examiner~y2008m9d4-Domestic-Partnership-vs-Marriage-and-Board-Preview

At the federal and social level of course, the differences are major, as you correctly point out.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2008, 10:11:32 pm »
In spite of how this might sound, I'm not against gay marriage but I'm ecstatic that Prop 8 passed! Now before you all blow your lids at me stop and think about it.

These state by state victories and losses really are all just stepping stones to having our day in the sun with the Supreme Court of the nation. Until we see a case that makes it that far, these are all just skirmishes in the long battle towards equality. Now that Prop 8 has passed and the California State Attorney General has already said it wasn't written to be retroactive, it is now open to more victories in the courts as it's proven to be unconstitutional. Since they allowed marriages for many gay people before the proposition passed and they can't be undone by the poor wording in this proposition it's opened itself up for constitutional inequality for those who now can't get married when others were allowed to get married. The sooner we get a case like this up to the supreme court the better.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2008, 10:45:49 pm »
In spite of how this might sound, I'm not against gay marriage but I'm ecstatic that Prop 8 passed! Now before you all blow your lids at me stop and think about it.

These state by state victories and losses really are all just stepping stones to having our day in the sun with the Supreme Court of the nation. Until we see a case that makes it that far, these are all just skirmishes in the long battle towards equality. Now that Prop 8 has passed and the California State Attorney General has already said it wasn't written to be retroactive, it is now open to more victories in the courts as it's proven to be unconstitutional. Since they allowed marriages for many gay people before the proposition passed and they can't be undone by the poor wording in this proposition it's opened itself up for constitutional inequality for those who now can't get married when others were allowed to get married. The sooner we get a case like this up to the supreme court the better.

They call that "pretzel logic" where I come from. Taking a leaf out of the Lame Duck's book, that's something to be choked on.

~rolls eyes~

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2008, 11:24:20 pm »
These state by state victories and losses really are all just stepping stones to having our day in the sun with the Supreme Court of the nation... Since they allowed marriages for many gay people before the proposition passed and they can't be undone by the poor wording in this proposition it's opened itself up for constitutional inequality for those who now can't get married when others were allowed to get married. The sooner we get a case like this up to the supreme court the better.

From everything that I have read the current supreme court would most likely say marriage by definition is between a man and a woman, all other arrangements were never truly marriage. I don't think we want the supreme court hearing this right now. We sure don't want the majority of Americans to vote on this because if you can't get 50% in California you sure as hell can't get 50% in the rest of the country. Remember 42 states already have defense of marriage statutes.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2008, 11:59:15 pm »
They call that "pretzel logic" where I come from. Taking a leaf out of the Lame Duck's book, that's something to be choked on.

~rolls eyes~

I'm not surprised at that coming from you. The fact remains that this won't be solved on a state by state basis. Until it becomes constitutionally ratified on the national level this fight is just one of many.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:08:01 am by SteveA »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2008, 12:24:28 am »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2008, 12:27:39 am »
I'm not surprised at that coming from you. The fact remains that this won't be solved on a state by state basis. Until it becomes constitutionally ratified on the national level this fight is just one of many.

Unfortunately, there isn't an appropriate "smiley" with which to respond in this instance.

Good luck with the salt.

Um, it may come in rock form. Just sayin...

xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SteveA

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2008, 12:30:48 am »
Well here's a Lawyer who agrees with me. Like it or not, this is how things work here in the states Ann.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/08/INUV13V3I2.DTL

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2008, 12:36:56 am »
Well here's a Lawyer who agrees with me. Like it or not, this is how things work here in the states Ann.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/08/INUV13V3I2.DTL

Doesn't make it right, mate. Pretzel logic is pretzel logic no matter who the baker is.

The times, they are a-changing!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline randym431

« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2008, 02:46:13 am »
More of my 2 cents worth:

Purely a civil rights issue. Purely!
I'm glad they are marching and fighting.
That’s the only way to do it.
No one or government is going to just grant
Rights, while the minority in question sits back and waits.
They need to continue this protest day after day no matter how long
it takes.

I think there should be another prop to address rights
of blacks, Hispanics and women. The only difference,
only gays get to vote and decide. Might as well let them know what its
like to be decimated against.

This bigotry against gays is beyond insanity.
If gays want civil rights, they should have them granted.
No questions asked. No strings attached.
Simple, done, resolved.
And tomorrow... nothing would be any different for the rest of America.
I can not believe in modern day, the stupid of society have such power over others.
Totally totally insane…!!!

PS. There are a lot of Gay owned businesses in Calif.
Owners should place a sign in the window of their business.
"If you voted for prop 8, DO NOT ENTER"
"Your business is not welcome here!!!"

Offline Cliff

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2008, 08:48:40 am »
I think there should be another prop to address rights
of blacks, Hispanics and women. The only difference,
only gays get to vote and decide. Might as well let them know what its
like to be decimated against.
I think this is as much of a religious issue as it is a race or gender issue.  Blacks and Latinos tend to be more religious than others and tend to have more conservative views on certain cultural matters where they intercept with religion.  Homophobia is a big issue in black churches and a wider community as a whole.  I'm not sure how we turn that corner.  But the blame game and more importantly putting black gay and lesbians in the middle, probably ain't the way.

But I do have to somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with madbrain here, blacks only made up 10% of voters in California.  The proposition was pretty divided amongst all races, actually racking up support from white men (31% of voters), Latinos (18% of voters) and blacks (10% of voters).  What a coalition!  Only white women and Asians were against it, and with a margin of support of only 51-53% this simply wasn't enough to overcome the no votes.  But (and here's the disagreement) there is no denying that had blacks and Latinos not voted for the proposition, it wouldn't have passed.

What is shameful, but not surprising (to me), is the % of black voters supporting the prop.  At 70% that was only bested by Republican support for the prop (84%).  At some point the black community will need to take accountability for our bigotry and discrimination against gay and lesbians. 

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2008, 09:03:02 am »

These state by state victories and losses really are all just stepping stones to having our day in the sun with the Supreme Court of the nation. Until we see a case that makes it that far, these are all just skirmishes in the long battle towards equality...........The sooner we get a case like this up to the supreme court the better.

Iceberg dead ahead!  Full speed ahead!!!!!!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:43 pm »
The turn-outs are getting larger everyday. It is wonderful to see such a big mix of people at least here in Sacramento. There is a big rally and march today at the State Capitol from 1-4 pm. Several of my coworkers are bringing their kids and neighbors to show them what a rally is like as well as show them that their family values equality for all people.

There is a nationwide rally in the works for Saturday November 15
here is the link.      http://www.jointheimpact.com/

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »
I worked very hard on phone banks, face to face interaction in the streets and even got into some financial "mispending" over Prop 8.  I was devastated about the outcome of the vote on Prop 8, but now I see it as a the "kick in the ass" we needed in the gay community to get out there UNITED and fight discrimination until ALL AMERICANS ARE EQUAL UNDER THE CONSTITUTION.
Religion is the main reason Prop 8 passed.  Yes the majority of Latino and Black voter were for prop 8, but only because of their religion ( Catholics and Baptist together with the Evangilicals and Mor(m)ons spent a lot of time and money to get people to vote yes on 8
The fight has only begun, maybe this is not such a bad thing after all....

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:26:02 pm by pozattitude »
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline edfu

« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2008, 12:35:11 am »
Religion is the main reason Prop 8 passed.  Yes the majority of Latino and Black voter were for prop 8, but only because of their religion ( Catholics and Baptist together with the Evangilicals and Mor(m)ons spent a lot of time and money to get people to vote yes on 8

If we haven't already done so, it is time to acknowledge that "religion" is our worst enemy--not ethnicity, not political affiliation, not sexual orientation.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline David_CA

« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2008, 08:59:27 am »
I also think that Prop. 8 passing will be a big "kick in the ass" towards equality under the US Constitution.  Another thing I'd really, really like to see is churches not being able to contribute to political (and therefor governmental) issues.  How well would it go over if a part of the govt. contributed to any organized religion, besides tax exempt status?  Separation of Church and State is a two-way street.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline randym431

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2008, 01:00:31 am »
Whats this about Arnold asking the CA courts to ignore this prop8?
And that the CA constitution does not allow such voter amendments?

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:23 am »
Whats this about Arnold asking the CA courts to ignore this prop8?
And that the CA constitution does not allow such voter amendments?

You mean this ?
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/11/09/schwarzenegger-pours-fuel-on-anti-prop-8-fire/

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2008, 03:49:38 am »
I got this message today in my PozPersonals inbox:

"Sent: Nov 11, 2008 1:33 AM (FLID:)
We are having a nationwide protest this coming Saturday, November 15th, all at exactly 10:30 a.m. (California time) at every City Hall across America. This was originally in response to PROP 8 passing in California and taking away our right to marry - but it is now about simply, once and for all, demanding TOTAL equal right. We are asking people in other countries that currently have this right to help us out by organizing protests in front of American Embassies or other U.S. official offices at the SAME time we will be protesting across America that day. We are expecting millions and there will be international news coverage! Please join your American brothers and sisters in their fight for equality (http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com). THANK YOU and forward this message to everyone you know!"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.