Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:51:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 663
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Going to take my very first meds this weekend  (Read 7478 times)

Offline newbieguy

Going to take my very first meds this weekend
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:30 pm »
well guys the moment of truth is here I have the meds so going to start them either tomorrow or sunday! I am not nearly as nervous as I was, thanks in part to this site and all your nice words. My graduation is next week, so want to go ahead and get them in my body a few days ahead of time. Fingers crossed! And thanks again for all the support you guys provide on here.  :)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Going to take my very first meds this weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:15:40 am »
well guys the moment of truth is here I have the meds so going to start them either tomorrow or sunday! I am not nearly as nervous as I was, thanks in part to this site and all your nice words. My graduation is next week, so want to go ahead and get them in my body a few days ahead of time. Fingers crossed! And thanks again for all the support you guys provide on here.  :)

Swallow and don't look back.  Here's to a slim side effect profile!

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:27:20 am »
Down the hatch!  Those meds have been good for me, and I'm sure they'll be good for you too.  Enjoy your graduation.

It's a complex world

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:05:26 am »
good luck.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:54 am »
Here's hoping they do the job well and no problems with.

Awaiting further bulletins from you.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »
Just now took my first dose of Rey/Truv/Norv with food and water, hoping I can tolerate them ok pretty anxious and fingers crossed!  :)

Offline NYC_GUY

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:13:07 pm »
Hey there, Newbieguy!

How you feeling? Just a few thoughts to share, since I'm on the same combo as you -- except I was previously on another combo for around 8 years.

1. This is my fourth month on Rey/Truv/Norv and it's going well. I noticed, however, within the first few days that there were times when I felt dizzy and slightly nauseous, which lasted for around 30 minutes to an hour and a half. These side-effects have continued to some extent but they are far less noticeable now.

2. The whites of my eyes became tinged yellow, supposedly a rare (only 10%) side-effect for people on Reyataz. Overall, like my doctor says, this is an easy combo to tolerate, and so far I would have to agree. So, even with the side-effects I've experieced so far, I'm going to stick with this regime for now.

3. IMHO, starting new meds on the weekend is just not a good strategy. If something bad should happen, like some sort of negative reaction, my doctor would probably not be available. Weekends are weekends, even for most doctors. This isn't meant to scare you, but just to bear it in mind for the future.

The poz forums seem to be a great place to get some excellent info and feedback. I've checked them before but only just now got registered, hence my reply to you. I think the fact that you are here is a very good sign. And I believe you'll be fine! In any case, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have ANY questions, and all the very, very best to you!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:59:23 pm by NYC_GUY »

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
Thanks NYC_GUY! I presume it will take a day or so to really tell if I will have side effects if at all, if not longer than that?...My numbers are actually decent as you can see, except my viral load is still a bit high so my doctor wanted me to go ahead and start. I had to choose between this combo and Atripla, I chose this bc I was leery of the wooziness I heard about from Atripla....I really hope I dont have the yellowing of the eyes. I have never met a medication so far in my life that I didnt handle well, so hoping the HIV meds are no exception. My doctor told me about 300 or so of her 500 patients at the clinic are on this regimen. A few questions.....should I be worried about wasting with this combo? Im already slim built so kinda worried about that. How about sex drive/performance? Thanks again for your comment NYC!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:37:15 pm »
if not longer than that?
usually most general side effects will happen within the first two weeks (headaches, pain/tingling in the arms and legs, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, and rash). As it takes a day or two to get the meds up to level in your system and for your body to adjust to these new chemicals in you, you'll probably be able to tell within the first few days what side effects you might experience.

Don't forget with Reyataz, caution is also needed with stomach acid-reducing medication (H2-receptor antagonists) like Tagamet, Pepcid, Zantac

should I be worried about wasting with this combo? Im already slim built so kinda worried about that. How about sex drive/performance?
umm, didn't you ask and get these questions answered in your other threads? ;)
Wasting? probably not with this combo
sex drive? dependent on your own libido and health
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:40:04 pm »
Keep us posted newbieguy.  I was nervous about starting Atripla at first because of the material that outlined all the 'possible' side affects.  Your numbers are much better than my initial ones (CD4 count was 4 and VL over 200,000).  As of May 21st my CD 4 count is 256 and VL is down to 880.  I would expect that you will get good results too.  Best of luck to you and co-create a healthy future for yourself!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:31:10 am »
Thanks NYC_GUY! I presume it will take a day or so to really tell if I will have side effects if at all, if not longer than that?...My numbers are actually decent as you can see, except my viral load is still a bit high so my doctor wanted me to go ahead and start. I had to choose between this combo and Atripla, I chose this bc I was leery of the wooziness I heard about from Atripla....I really hope I dont have the yellowing of the eyes. I have never met a medication so far in my life that I didnt handle well, so hoping the HIV meds are no exception. My doctor told me about 300 or so of her 500 patients at the clinic are on this regimen. A few questions.....should I be worried about wasting with this combo? Im already slim built so kinda worried about that. How about sex drive/performance? Thanks again for your comment NYC!

How common is the yellowing issue?  When I start, I'll be starting on that regimen.  Anyway, all the best for great results.  I think about whether to go ahead and start all the time. 

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:12:21 pm »
I have made it two days now and havent had any bad effects that I can see. I take them with lunch because thats my most regular meal. A little woozy feeling the first day but today none of that. I know it will take a week or two more before I really know how I will respond to them, but hopefully my lack of any issues thus far bodes well. Still hoping for no libido-related side effects.  :)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »
So far so good!  That is always a good sign. 

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
hi newbie,

hope that you're continuing to do well with your meds.

what were the provoking factors for you in your choice of med regimes?...just curious since i currently may be crossing the meds bridge myself in the near future.

max
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:37:42 pm by max123 »
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »
hi newbie,

hope that you're continuing to do well with your meds.

what were the provoking factors for you in your choice of med regimes?...just curious since i currently may be crossing the meds bridge myself in the near future.

max

Hey max, thanks for the nice words...This was a very big step for me...I have been doing really well without meds, and my cd4 is 505. However my doctor told me that the earlier you start on meds the better it is for the longer term. Im not so sure I totally believ that yet but after hearing many who say they are doing fine on them, I figured I could go ahead and start. I do really believe in supplements as far as helping the immune system keep the virus at bay in the meantime. Everyones situation is different, but I went from 294 to 500 in one year with just eating better and taking vitamins. The meds is a totally new situation for me. Its still a little surreal.

Offline NYC_GUY

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 01:28:56 am »
@tednlou2

as far as i know, the "yellowing issue" is rare, only 10% are affected in some way, either the skin or whites of eyes, and for some people who've had it i've heard that it can go away after a while. mine is not really all that noticeable unless it's pointed out. so, again, not really a problem at this point.

well, overall, it sounds like you are actually doing very well so i'm curious to know why you "think all the time about starting antivirals"? assuming you are in the care of a good infectious disease doctor, you shouldn't have to burden yourself with any additional worries. figure out when would be the best time to start, either according to your viral load or t-cells, and then don't think so much about it until then. of course, monitor your health regularly, and keep your spirits up. MANY, MANY PEOPLE HAVE DONE VERY, VERY WELL FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME ON THESE MEDS, AND SO WILL YOU!!  ;)

@newbieguy

i'm so happy to hear that everything is going just fine!!

so, to respond to your questions: as far as i know, and as others have noted, the wasting syndrome does not seem to be associated with the drugs in this combo in a serious way, although i believe that ALL antiviral meds fiddle with metabolism of nutrients, including fats, in some fashion.

now, from what you say, you sound very healthy and that's a major factor in how any of the drugs can affect you. so just focus on that, and continue to keep informed. at this point, all i can say is this combo is vey much easier on my system than any of the previous drugs i have taken for hiv.

btw, my numbers were very similar to yours when i began antiviral therapy, which was around 10 years ago (and as you know, if we didn't have these drugs i'd have probably been dead a ways back). currently, i have not experienced any wasting, my viral load is undetectable and my t-cells are normal. and with respect to any effects on libido, mine seems to be working just fine!! :o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:37:39 am by NYC_GUY »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:30 am »
@tednlou2

well, overall, it sounds like you are actually doing very well so i'm curious to know why you "think all the time about starting antivirals"? assuming you are in the care of a good infectious disease doctor, you shouldn't have to burden yourself with any additional worries. figure out when would be the best time to start, either according to your viral load or t-cells, and then don't think so much about it until then. of course, monitor your health regularly, and keep your spirits up. MANY, MANY PEOPLE HAVE DONE VERY, VERY WELL FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME ON THESE MEDS, AND SO WILL YOU!!  ;)

It is that debate that many of us have about how long to let HIV go without meds even with good numbers.  That is what I meant.  Like Newbie, I would start when I got to around CD4 500 for sure.  Its just those questions about how many more years could I go without meds?  Would ya preserve your immune system more if ya went ahead and started. 

Does anyone know when the SMART study is suppose to be completed to help answer some of these questions?  Anyway, Newbie, I'm glad to hear all is good thus far.  All the best.   

Offline NYC_GUY

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 12:01:45 pm »
@tednlou2
okay, fair enough, there is some controversy. as you note, however, there are guidelines that everyone is in agreement on and, as far as i know, these guidelines are based in part on the SMART study that was completed a couple years ago.

so the question is, are you seeing an infectious disease doctor regularly, and what does your doctor say? a recent booklet put out by a respectable bunch emphasizes the relationship between "you and your doctor," which is what i believe it all boils down to. http://www.thebody.com/content/art12720.html

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »
Hey max, thanks for the nice words...This was a very big step for me...I have been doing really well without meds, and my cd4 is 505. However my doctor told me that the earlier you start on meds the better it is for the longer term. Im not so sure I totally believ that yet but after hearing many who say they are doing fine on them, I figured I could go ahead and start. I do really believe in supplements as far as helping the immune system keep the virus at bay in the meantime. Everyones situation is different, but I went from 294 to 500 in one year with just eating better and taking vitamins. The meds is a totally new situation for me. Its still a little surreal.

hi again,

your most definitely welcome and agreed, nutrition is one of the really important factors in this race.

yeah i know where you are coming from... my cd4 is still hovering above 500, but my % has shown a very slow, but steady decline since my diagnosis about 10-11 months ago. my vl has bounced around a little, as expected, but is still relatively low. my docs also share your doc's perspective. clinically, it makes alot of sense to me, though yes, it's definitely a reality check. anyway, i was curious about why you chose the med combo that you did, versus something like isentress /truvada.

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 11:57:28 am »
hi again,

your most definitely welcome and agreed, nutrition is one of the really important factors in this race.

yeah i know where you are coming from... my cd4 is still hovering above 500, but my % has shown a very slow, but steady decline since my diagnosis about 10-11 months ago. my vl has bounced around a little, as expected, but is still relatively low. my docs also share your doc's perspective. clinically, it makes alot of sense to me, though yes, it's definitely a reality check. anyway, i was curious about why you chose the med combo that you did, versus something like isentress /truvada.

Heres hoping your numbers remain good max! sounds like you are taking care of yourself and that is really important. the reason i chose the reyataz/truvada/norvir combo is because it was the only option my doctor gave me aside from atripla which i was a bit leery of about the side effects....I figured i had to start somewhere and at least see how I tolerate these meds....i may ask about isentress/truvada or boosting my reyataz and dropping the norvir just because im not sure about takin so many meds. Ill def be giving progress reports! lol

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »
hey newb,

thanks for the update. that's cool. while many do very well on atripla, i think the potential of the sustiva side effects are a little daunting for some when considering first line treatment. yeah, definitely give your combo some time to work for you. if i remember correctly, there are a number of forum members on the same meds that are doing great on it. hang in there & keep us posted.

max

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 10:59:44 pm »
boosting my reyataz and dropping the norvir just because im not sure about takin so many meds.
norvir is the booster for your reyataz. ;)

i've mentioned before that rey/truv/nor is my latest combo, an easy 3 pills taken once a day. It sure beats 32 pills/teaspoons a day I was taking in about 2000 or the 28 pills/teaspoons a day in about 2002. You just don't know how well you have it if you haven't hadn't to slurp down 8 tablespoons of liquid norvir a day. I mean norvir is ethanol based - it really is just like drinking gasoline.

this combo (R/T/N) really is not "so many meds" ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.