Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:07:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whitney Houston's New Album...is the VOICE really back?  (Read 22926 times)

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Whitney Houston's New Album...is the VOICE really back?
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:11:17 pm »
I just listened to the sample tracks of her forthcoming album (to drop Aug 31) on Amazon, and I have to sadly say that, given all the delays, I'm somewhat disappointed with the projected quality from all the media hype. I love her voice and own every album that she ever released; but this time, the damage from the drugs to her vocals is evident. The voice purity is gone, replaced by a tired huskiness that seemed to belong to older jazz veterans more appropriately. The songs too dun seem to strike an attachment after listening. I watched R Kelly on Youtube singing, " I look To You", and explaining that he wrote the song for Whitney and his casual rendition made my heart jumped. I dun sense that with Whitney's take.

I sincerely hope time will heal her voice more and return her to as close as possible to her pre drugs state cos despite her personal challenges, like Michael Jackson, they are national treasures. Such a waste.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:12:50 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: Whitney Houston's New Album...is the VOICE really back?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:20:28 pm »
Sadly you are right.  Some of the material is good ("Million Dollar Bill" is quite catchy), but the voice has been compromised.  Hopefully she will still manage to make a decent comeback; I always found her more gifted (and less annoying) than her supposed rival, Ms. Scary.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
Maybe if she is the true artist we thought, she will find the way to communicate and perform despite the damage.  It might take a few years AWAY from the big business hype and production of the "big comeback."

Kinda like Marianne Faithfull who was quite moving in Montreux this year.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »
Link to youtube Million Dollar Bill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQpmnPoVlE

Not bad - some unofficial remixes on youtube as well.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:03:56 pm »
Sorry it seems still born. Dead, no energy, somehow flat. Zombie.  You know, its not always about drugs or the voice or whatever, its just the energy.  Madonna sometimes still turns it out convincingly, even with that crap voice.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 08:38:55 pm »
Madonna sometimes still turns it out convincingly, even with that crap voice.

Even though many people love to attack her she is a very respectable artist in my opinion.  I cannot think of one bad song released by her since she found who she really was in the 'Like A Prayer' album.  Whitney (and especially Mariah) on the other have had quite a few rubbishy singles.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »
Madonna sometimes still turns it out convincingly, even with that crap voice.

GASP!   Take it back or I'll flog you with a 12 inch single!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »
Link to youtube Million Dollar Bill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQpmnPoVlE

Not bad - some unofficial remixes on youtube as well.

Gotta confess I was not at all interested in this topic...but thanks Tempeboy for the link! I think she's lost quite a bit of her vocal quality, and because of that the song sounds like something you'd hear on an AM station whilst driving in the sticks without FM, but I do think it has potential for dance remixes. If I see some Latina drag queens pumping it out at Charlie's, I'll repost. But for now, I'll say that I am interested in hearing the rest of the album. Does she deserve a comeback, or do I just think that because I haven't had cable for 3 years? (any of ya'll seen Bobby?)

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:22 pm »
WOW!  You guys are brutal!  Of course our voices will change with time, drugs, smoking and also with use. Singing destroys your voice.  Your voice ages just like your skin, bones and muscles, some people's faster than others'!

I agree, the sound is strikingly different than her other stuff, but I'm glad she had the balls to go through with the album and release it.  We need our divas, and Britney Spears doesn't cut the mustard (yet).

P.S. I like Mariah Carey.  Is that bad?

Sam
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:23:01 pm by guyinsouthala »

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 09:30:09 pm »
mecch, I totally agree with you about Whitney's (flat) voice but, OMG, I can't believe you went there and said that about our most beloved patron of homos and the disadvantaged, Madonna.  I love her!

And, Guyinsouthala, "Miss Scary" is Mariah Scary...uh, I mean Carey

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »
GASP!   Take it back or I'll flog you with a 12 inch single!

Please just make sure that it is not the white vinyl version of "Erotica;" mine got stolen and I have not been able to find a copy on Ebay.

Anyway I think you all are not really being fair.  Would you rather Whitney to keep using crack and not release anything else, or quit the crack but still not release anything.  We'd be like "what ever happened to Whitney Houston? Remember her?".

Not at all Sam (at least not here)... I would love for her to make a great comeback.  The first single ("I Look To You") was pretty weak in my opinion --and written by R. Kelly, meh!  "Million Dollar Bill" and some of the other --more hip-hop'ish-- material is actually good.  I just have to recognise that her voice is not the powerhouse from the "Saving All My Love For You" (her finest moment) or "I'm Every Woman" days.  I will however take her (or Mariah Scary, or Celine Dion, boring as they may be) any day over Britney (nothing good since "Toxic"), Miley (cute, but not vocally gifted or recommendable for anyone over the age of 20), or the quite weak Taylor Swift (she carnt hold a note... why does she sell so much??).  

In the end it will all depend on Clive Davis' power push and having the right publicity/campaign.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:39:27 pm by livebythemoon »

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:44:26 pm »
Even though many people love to attack her she is a very respectable artist in my opinion.  I cannot think of one bad song released by her since she found who she really was in the 'Like A Prayer' album.  Whitney (and especially Mariah) on the other have had quite a few rubbishy singles.

I have to respectfully disagree. We all know Madge's talent lies in marketing herself, as vocals are not her strong suit.  I have a friend who used to remix some of her work and he would dread when he got her stuff in because it took hours and hours of sweetening and running everything through pitch control and other processes to ensure that she stayed on key for the duration.

Why else do you think most of the remixes done on her tunes are so busy with so MUCH additional production? That way you can concentrate on everything else besides her vocals. There is not one 12" mix of hers that stays true to the original version.

*modified to reflect that I was referring to Madge and NOT Whitney as I haven't really paid attention to anything (deliberately) that Houston put out after her 2nd LP
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:59:16 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 10:23:38 pm »
My my my... a bunch of AIDS patients debating the relative merits of a bunch of washed up 80's has-been pop divas!

::yanks out Sade's bootleg mix of "Never Thought I'd See The Day" with two snaps up::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ScDEwMZQ4
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 10:30:04 pm »
My my my... a bunch of AIDS patients debating the relative merits of a bunch of washed up 80's has-been pop divas!

::yanks out Sade's bootleg mix of "Never Thought I'd See The Day" with two snaps up::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ScDEwMZQ4

LMFAO... And yes, Sade, now that is what I call music!  No gimmicks, real soul, pure artistry.

Now you've got me wondering about other long-forgotten 80's "divas" (I'm not too big on that word  ;D; it only applies to the likes of Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Diana Ross, and Nina Simone --among others).  I'm afraid someone's going to bring up Debbie Gibson or Stacey Q.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:32:19 pm by livebythemoon »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 10:39:42 pm »
I'm afraid someone's going to bring up Debbie Gibson or Stacey Q.

Actually the Masters at Work remix (1990) of Debbie Gibson's "One Step Ahead" is flawless!  They stripped out 95% of the vocals.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:12 pm »
Actually the Masters at Work remix (1990) of Debbie Gibson's "One Step Ahead" is flawless!  They stripped out 95% of the vocals.

Wow, talk about a blast from the past... I'm surprised anyone else knows that one.  Good find! 

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 11:10:03 pm »
I wonder if would sound less flat played from a cd through a decent system?  Has anyone bought the CD?

Website info - http://www.whitneyhouston.com/music/i-look-you
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 11:10:52 pm »
People still give a shit about this woman? I am by no means a fan, but seriously, she has been out of the spotlight for so long I can't believe people are actually taking this seriously.

Offline edfu

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 02:05:03 am »
Did you ever know a Broadway singer who had more than a good ten or so years in them? 

Yes, I have:  Ethel Merman, Barbara Cook, Bernadette Peters, Audra McDonald.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:23 am »
People still give a shit about this woman? I am by no means a fan, but seriously, she has been out of the spotlight for so long I can't believe people are actually taking this seriously.

What do you mean?  She had a reality show with Bobby and the kids. ;)  That should stand for something. ;D

I have not listened to it myself.  I had a crush on her back in the day when she sang that song I wanna dance with someone or somebody....  I don't remember, but she wore an orange dress that was real short.  Man when that video would come on I would start hunc.......  turn the channel.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 05:50:46 am »
I think people rush to quickly to accuse drugs as being the reason Houston's voice has changed.  Plenty of singers have had drug abuse issues without it permanently impacting their voice.  It's probably more to do with her aging, chain smoking and being away too long (a good voice needs constant workout just like a muscle).

Love Sade but I don't really compare her to Houston.  Two completely different styles and I don't think of either of them as 'soul' singers!  Sade has a great voice (though it too has aged), but she can be a bit boring and depressing at times (with much too simple lyrics).

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 07:26:09 am »

Cliff,

Smoking crack for as long as she has will definitely cause premature wear on her voice.  On top of that she really is not that old when you think about it, only 46 to be exact and no I wouldn't expect her to sound like she did when she was a 21 years old, but she would of probably sounding worlds better than she does now.  Artists like Patti, Gladys, Aretha and the likes, who are much older mind you still sound good, of course while sharing the unfortunate demise in their vocal abilities that Whitney has prematurely suffered.

I hope she does make a comeback...  her vocals in the day, regardless of what others think, were legendary in my opinion.  What's so disappointing is it is one of those coulda/ woulda/ shoulda been deals....

Offline Merlin

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 07:32:51 am »
Great remixes can easily propel a weaker than normal vocal/song into greater dance superstar orbit. All dance divas* know that and all dance circuits depend on that too. Perhaps, if done right, all the future remixes** of Whitney's new singles will get her back some limelight on the charts again. You can bet on that.  ;)

**On the strength of massive club dance rotation, another mama diva that came back briefly for a deserving revival was the 1st Lady Queen of Disco herself. The hit album, I Wish You Love (2002), was released in Europe via Germany and the sound was pretty cool. She looked updated and hip too. With a group of big DJ mixers, some of the singles made the euro dance charts pretty easily. She even had some retakes in Spanish to boot. Check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSSeAI2Nu7g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_toSgRj7Ic&feature=related (Spanish)

* diva = So what's the male equivalent? Anyone knows? :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:38:35 am by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 08:28:49 am »

I had a crush on her back in the day when she sang that song I wanna dance with someone or somebody....  I don't remember, but she wore an orange dress that was real short.  Man when that video would come on I would start hunc.......  turn the channel.

Was the crush due to the way she sang heat... I wanna feel the heat  with somebody.....

If you see that video now days, don't let your wife catch you.... erm.... turning the channel! ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cliff

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:55 am »

Cliff,

Smoking crack for as long as she has will definitely cause premature wear on her voice.  On top of that she really is not that old when you think about it, only 46 to be exact and no I wouldn't expect her to sound like she did when she was a 21 years old, but she would of probably sounding worlds better than she does now.  Artists like Patti, Gladys, Aretha and the likes, who are much older mind you still sound good, of course while sharing the unfortunate demise in their vocal abilities that Whitney has prematurely suffered.

I hope she does make a comeback...  her vocals in the day, regardless of what others think, were legendary in my opinion.  What's so disappointing is it is one of those coulda/ woulda/ shoulda been deals....

Whitney did not smoke crack!!!  Crack is whack, remember.

I do believe that chain smoking and not singing for so long did more damage to her voice than any drug usage.  But who knows. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 10:37:25 am »
I'm not sure why it's not possible to consider that both smoking crack (and I don't care if she claimed it was whack, you could see it on that National Enquirer cover picture of her drug den's bathroom sink counter!) and chain smoking ciggies, plus her age, all contributed to her declining voice.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 10:59:27 am »

* diva = So what's the male equivalent? Anyone knows? :P

The word divo actually exists in Italian and they apply it to some leading figures in opera (a reason behind Simon Cowell's misguided attempt to create a pop-opera boy band named Il Divo).

Miss P. is this the rag that you're referring to?  ;D  I also remember some pic circa 2003 of Whitney looking like Skeletor in a mini-dress due to all the drug use; I bet Skeebo didn't find her very hot then  :)

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:39 pm »
LOL that Enquirer cover is classic!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:20:35 pm by guyinsouthala »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 12:18:00 pm »

Miss P. is this the rag that you're referring to?  ;D  I also remember some pic circa 2003 of Whitney looking like Skeletor in a mini-dress due to all the drug use;

btw, I remember as far back as 1997, when Whitney did her live HBO concert at Constitution Hall in DC and she rambled on and on and on before every song, suspecting that she had a bad drug habit.  And if it was that bad to go up on state like that for a major event I must assume it was going on at least a few years previous to it, which of course lines up with the marriage to nasty ole Bobby.  That's potentially over a decade tooting on the glass stem.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 03:02:54 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KaClIF1ehQ Whitney in Kazakhstan last year, butchering her biggest hit (about 5:50 min into or so).   :'(

A really bad performance.  Stumbling through her songs and the stage.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
OMG I couldn't watch but a minute of that - PAINFUL!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »
In fairness I'd suspect February in Kazakhastan is brutally cold and she's trying to sing outside.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »
Was the crush due to the way she sang heat... I wanna feel the heat  with somebody.....

If you see that video now days, don't let your wife catch you.... erm.... turning the channel! ;D

Is that the name of the song?  LOL boy did I slay that or what?  Must be my age....

:D
The word divo actually exists in Italian and they apply it to some leading figures in opera (a reason behind Simon Cowell's misguided attempt to create a pop-opera boy band named Il Divo).

Miss P. is this the rag that you're referring to?  ;D  I also remember some pic circa 2003 of Whitney looking like Skeletor in a mini-dress due to all the drug use; I bet Skeebo didn't find her very hot then  :)

Wait a minute, I see a can of Budweiser in that Enquirer pic...   Could it be the Budweiser?  What the hell is Whitney doing drinking Budweiser anyways?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:03 pm »

Is that the name of the song?  LOL boy did I slay that or what?  Must be my age....

Nonononono! The song goes...

I wanna dance with somebody 
I wanna feel the  heat with somebody

... it's just the way the word heat  came out of her mouth - almost like a little ejaculation. Thought maybe it turned you on.  ;) ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »

Wait a minute, I see a can of Budweiser in that Enquirer pic...   Could it be the Budweiser?  What the hell is Whitney doing drinking Budweiser anyways?

LOL, Bud is whack too.  It is the perfect companion to the cheapness of crack. Kinda surprising that it wasn't Old Milwaukee ;D.  I don't think a glass of the finest champagne would've really matched the decor in that den.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 04:51:12 pm »

LOL @ Ann....

Atleast she kept it real with the crush proof box of Newports (see by the faucet)....  You all do notice that all the ashes are missing from the ash tray don't ya?  Anyone here know what that was used for?

Offline elf

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 05:13:30 pm »
Actually the Masters at Work remix (1990) of Debbie Gibson's "One Step Ahead" is flawless!  They stripped out 95% of the vocals.
I don't like her, I prefer(red) Martika and Paula Abdul.  ;D

Offline Merlin

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »
Listened to the album in its entirety and although not Whitney's finest, it's a B++, touching on A-.  ;D

Seemed they reworked 2 songs to give it more depth and appeal; namely:
R Kelly's, I Look To You and Diane Warren's, I Didn't Know My Own Strength. They both do sound much better over the initial test run versions at her pre-launch event. Smart move.

Here's a free taste of Whitney's remix* making the rounds. Legally, of course. We wouldn't wanna deprive Whitney of a decent comeback.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?djtog2ynimy

Welcome back Whitney ! Try and stay a while this time ya? ;)

*The remix was done by a DJ friend of mine and he wants to share it with his fans. Enjoy. :-*
And, yes, you are most welcome... :D :-* ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 07:58:19 pm by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:59:32 pm »
Atleast she kept it real with the crush proof box of Newports (see by the faucet)....  You all do notice that all the ashes are missing from the ash tray don't ya?  Anyone here know what that was used for?

Hmmm...is it to replace the tobacco with maria juana/ganja/giggle weed?

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 12:55:48 am »
Thanks, Merlin.  The song is tight.  Played a little safe but I really love it.  Thanks and tell your friend he's good behind the board.  Sammy

Listened to the album in its entirety and although not Whitney's finest, it's a B++, touching on A-.  ;D

Seemed they reworked 2 songs to give it more depth and appeal; namely:
R Kelly's, I Look To You and Diane Warren's, I Didn't Know My Own Strength. They both do sound much better over the initial test run versions at her pre-launch event. Smart move.

Here's a free taste of Whitney's remix* making the rounds. Legally, of course. We wouldn't wanna deprive Whitney of a decent comeback.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?djtog2ynimy

Welcome back Whitney ! Try and stay a while this time ya? ;)

*The remix was done by a DJ friend of mine and he wants to share it with his fans. Enjoy. :-*
And, yes, you are most welcome... :D :-* ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 03:02:54 am »
Evidently Whitney is performing live in Central Park tomorrow (free) for all of you NYC'ers.

http://www.examiner.com/x-19454-NY-Events-and-Weddings-Planning-Examiner~y2009m8d31-Whitney-Houston-One-Day-Appearance-Promises-to-Draw-Thousands-in-New-York

notification courtesy of my extensive facebook friends list!

Offline Florida69

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 11:20:34 am »
just listened to million dollar bill and i look to you, her notes are good but you guys are right her voice is totally not on it.  you know it reminds me of ole blue eyes, how his voice changed dramatically with age, whiskey and smoking.  i do agree that this is not the Whitney that we all have heard over the years.  I will admit that the only album of hers that I ever bought or own is the bodyguard sound track.  I thought when she did heart break hotel that she was moving away from ballads, and I did not find her music attractive after that.  I look to you is a very beautiful song and she did a good job with it.  So I am glad that she is producing music again, and this goes to show you that crack really does kill a voice..  D 
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 12:20:36 pm »

Instead of Million Dollar they should have called it the Oh song, because there sure are a lot of filler Oh's in it.  I should post my rendition of Elvis's I Did It My Way, I just uhhhh my way through the whole song and it sounds really good trust me.

Hmmm...is it to replace the tobacco with maria juana/ganja/giggle weed?

Uses the ashes to smoke her crack.... 

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »
Saw the GMA footage that is on youtube.  She sounds hoarse and just skips parts of the song.  She also looks like she had something done to her face.  It is a bit 'cat-like'. 

Offline edfu

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:34:18 pm by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 10:03:09 pm »
She also looks like she had something done to her face.  It is a bit 'cat-like'. 

Anything like this?

Offline Merlin

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 01:47:58 am »
Here's extracts of the live concert. Pretty clear no high notes. She seriously needs to do a Rachel Ray intervention and have her throat treated by a throat specialist. Maybe, just maybe then, it may help. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWdrGkZdxC4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzSaEt8bHuI&feature=related

PS: May have had gone down better if they used Debra Wilson (Madtv) in her place instead. At least everyone would have enjoyed this comedy for real.  :D

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:08:23 am by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2009, 03:00:40 am »
Her voice is fucked!  Even on her album, her voice is hoarse and that album has been put through like 400 filters.  I undertand that when divas get older, their voices arent the same but this is different.

Listen to Donna Summer last week at her Coney Island concert.  She is older then Whitney and does a great job with her songs.

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2009, 07:48:33 am »
merlin those links are from 2002...

i havent found a decent link for the 2009 central park concert. 

well, maybe she can morph into Koko Taylor.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2009, 08:41:53 am »
Hey mecch, thanks. You are absolutely right. Sorry about that.
My excuse? I was real sleepy on Oprah when posting those links. I posted too much, too much. Should not have been posting but sleeping instead. Lol. :D

Here's the main search (Whitney Central Park) to various links on Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=whitney+central+park&search_type=&aq=f

PS: As much as I am a big fan of Whitney, I found it painful to re-listen to her new album again, let alone this concert. Can't avoid the screeching and hoarse notes throughout. I actually loved all her previous albums right up to 2002, Just Whitney. At least those albums, (including, It's Not Right..) still had her purity of voice, originality & spunk. Geez, Crack Is Whack. Sigh.  :-\

No one says or does it better than Debra Wilson. Now, this is one comedienne Diva I never can get enough of. Truly love her. Here's some real needed classic cool relief from all this madness. This is Whitney's alternate ego, one which we all will love I'm sure. Enjoy you all.  ;) :D ;D;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW3R3_r4ANA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQL6eV77tjI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJgqCEVMHg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y88gZfxFKU&feature=related

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:23:34 am by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.