Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:39:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 637
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Taking Atripla with past resistance to Sustiva  (Read 5707 times)

Offline loydkw

Taking Atripla with past resistance to Sustiva
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »

I am just wondering about taking atrila as my med options are running out. I am currently on Fuzeon but I think I could be resistant as I had missed a few doses because of the severe Injection Site Reactions that even the Biojector did not solve. I at one time took sustiva and became resistant and at that time I was told that once you are resistant to Sustiva  you are resistant to it and the other to drugs in the same class. Just wondering if the thinking on that maybe has changed and Atripla may be an option for me?

I am also taking Truvada, Aptivus and Norvir with the Fuzeon now. I am thinking a new genotype might be in order to see what the levels are at as the last one over a year ago showed resistance to evrything with minor resistance to just a couple of meds at that time.

Anyone else in this same situation?

Thanks,

Loyd

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Taking Atripla with past resistance to Sustiva
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:00:45 pm »
Hello Loyd, welcome

The short answer is "No".  If you are resistant to Sustiva then Atripla adds nothing in terms of options.

However, the long answer is "Maybe".  It depends on your viral population now. Resistanc to Sustiva fades into the background quickly, and can lurk unnoticed (and un discoverable) until you take an NNRTI like Sustiva.  After time though, perhaps 5 years, it may fade completely though, there is some evidence for this.  Therefore Sustiva, as part of a "salvage" (hate that term) regime may have a role.  Depends on your resistance profile and the other drugs you decide to use.  It may not be a best option, and it maybe only a short(ish) term option, but it may be viable for now.

It is really hard to say anything definite without knowing the details of your genotype and phenotype resistance tests.

Darunavir (TMC-114, Prezista) is a new PI, which looks like being good on beating resistant virus into the ground, is now available, and maybe an option.  But it's hard to say without knowing your resistance test results whether it would be viable for you.

- matt
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 07:47:02 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline loydkw

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:59:40 pm »

Well my last resistance test showed nearly every drug I am resistant to but a couple of them I have minimal resistance but my doctor also did some test that gives a percentage of the virus replication or something like that and I was in the 10% range which he said was very good and may mean that eventhough I am showing resistant to most of the meds that they still may be working . my viral load has generally been very high and reduced from 450,000 to 25,000 then to 5,000 them to 700 after startinf Fuzeon in October of 2005 but by January the viral load went up to 15,000 then 25,000 then 50,000 and I will get my next labs next week and that will determine whether or not I will be stopping the fuzeon and possibly continuing on with the Truvada, Aptivus, and Norvir for the time being. I have been looking at a trial that is out there for an oral entry inhibitor called SP01A and hope that maybe that could be an option.

I do know that with the severity of the Injection Site Reactions and am going to miss more doses. I even switch in between the needle and the biojector but that still doesn't lessen the reactions and the reactions seem to get worse and last a lot longer. the biojector reaction in the side of the stomach lasts for 4 to 5 days and the needle reaction lasts just as long and sometimes I get a really bad bruise from the needles that I once did not and I am injecting as I always have.

But since my viral replication is low my doctor may keep me on the meds I am except fuzeon and may add the new PI. My t-cells have pretty much been stable except just before starting the fuzeon when it dropped below 100. It is now in the 400 range and that is pretty much where it stays.

Hopefully, since they came out with this one pill a day regime they will come out with one that doesn't include the class that sustiva is in since I believe there is still just the 3 drugs in that class.

Thanks for the response.

Loyd

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:17:09 am »
I posted a longish reply on TMC114.  It got shafted when I hit Return. But the info is in the attached poster (PDF) from the recent BHIVA conference. 

Short version, there seems to be a poor correlation between number of primary PI mutations at baseline and virological response to TMC114, and many pople using it got VL down to under 400 or even under 50. If you have 10 or less primary PI mutations it may be useful.

- matt

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.