Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 156
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is Crystal Meth Uncool?  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Is Crystal Meth Uncool?
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:05:01 am »
Check out my latest blog posting:

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2009/02/is_crystal_unco.html

If you comment here, please cut & paste it below my blog entry as well. 

Thanks for reading!

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Is Crystal Meth Uncool?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:56 am »
I used Crystal Meth in the 80's. Many who used with me are no longer here to represent the forefront of the epidemic.

I have yet to met anyone who used, who could cut back, or limit themselves. Once you start, you keep going until it is gone.

Ron~
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:52:41 am »
We should keep in mind that there were *some* of us who could do this once a month and not become addicted.  But meth was never "cool" really, just like heroin wasn't.  There was always a substantial amount of people, at least in my circles, who always looked down on it, even though they had no problem doing other, less-addictive, drugs.

One of the problems with (many) drugs addict is that they only know other addicts or they know non-users.  It's all black and white, with no grey.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:38:02 am »
Meth is not popular everywhere. Here in central NC we rarely see patients in the emergency room who test positive for it; crack, marijuana, alcohol and opiate pain medications are the drugs of choice here. Crystal meth is generally perceived as a drug of the rural poor ("hillbilly cocaine") and not "cool".

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:11 pm »
We should keep in mind that there were *some* of us who could do this once a month and not become addicted.  But meth was never "cool" really, just like heroin wasn't.  There was always a substantial amount of people, at least in my circles, who always looked down on it, even though they had no problem doing other, less-addictive, drugs.

One of the problems with (many) drugs addict is that they only know other addicts or they know non-users.  It's all black and white, with no grey.

I agree. It is black and white, no grey.

The 'counselors' decided that I didn't have a drug problem, but a living problem. Once I dealt with the problem in my life,  I didn't need the drug to hide behind any more.

I had a circle of friends who, once you are known to them, they never go away, (until death do we part.) Though we don't socialize, we still have chance encounters....it's a small world.

I don't crave the drug any more, but I witness them, and feel for them, and have to be careful not to be sucked back into the circle.
We share a common bond that can't be broken. (If that makes any sense.)

I know that if I bought a bag with the intent to use a little and ration it, that I would fail. No one in my circle ever could. We would do it until it was gone.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »
The issue isn't how much of one bag you'd do, the issue is if the bag morphs into a multiple day event week after week.  One messy binge every three months is not an addiction as far as I know.  But yeah, if you're an addict it is probably necessary to see this topic as a black and white issue.

I'm not meaning to make light of it.  Assuredly meth and heroin are in a league separate from most other drugs, but not everyone who uses either necessarily becomes hooked, just a larger % do when compared with the others.

Also, more on topic, here in Philadelphia crack is a larger problem in the African American gay community.  I would caution viewing everything from a white perspective.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:52:55 pm »
I agree with Philly that there's a whole lot of gray when it comes to meth use.  However, I'm not sure it's important or wise to structure our public health approach to meth in the gay community based on those lucky guys who are able to just dabble with it from time to time.

Here's why:

1)  There doesn't seem to be any way to predict who will fall into which using category BEFORE they try meth.  We know guys have become hooked that had no prior drug or alcohol addiction.  Same thing with guys that have few if any mental health issues.  Yes, both those factors probably increase the risk, but meth seems to be able to nab anyone, largely based on unpredictable personal experiences.

2)  Folks can move from one category to the next, without much warning.  For instance, someone can be a casual user for years, just snorting meth on the dance floor once a month, then end up having hot sex with someone who pulls out a pipe.  Their first experience combining smoked meth with hot sex might turn them into an overnight addict.

3)  Toning down our public messages on meth so that casual users don't roll their eyes at them seems like wasted effort in this light.  The more comfortable and acceptable we make casual use, the larger the pool of potential users and potential addicts.  In other words, given how much harm is caused by this drug, doesn't casual use, in a macro sense, feed this harm?

I just wrote this pretty fast, so if my arguments are less than coherent, my apologies.  Besides, I can blame it on my meth-damaged brain.

;)

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:49 pm »
To me, the question "Is crystal meth uncool?" reflects part of the problem.

I'm yet to be convinced that any one drug is 'better' or 'worse' than any other. The real issue is the gay community's overall hypocrital attitude to drug use and the confused messages it sends out.

Drug use in general is condoned within the gay community. In fact, my recollections of first coming out are that it was actively promoted.

What's 'in' or 'cool' this year is out and uncool a few years later.

IMO. Drug use and opinions on its use brings out the worst in the 'gay community', if such a community exists. When your in the 'scene' drug use is rampant and noone really seems to give a rats arse as to how much you use or how often. If you fall off the edge and become addicted you disappear from the 'scene' and this so called community treats you wish scorn, disdain and even contempt.

Campaigns such as 'Crystal free and sexy', whilst admirable do nothing to address the broader issues of drug use amongst gay men. If meth use is falling, I suspect that something new or better or cooler has simply replaced it.

And, I should ad that I don't make my statements as some sort of anti-drg campaigner. I've spent the the last 20 years as a casual but reasonably regular injecting drug user, crystal included, and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Oh501sguy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »
I don't actually know anybody who uses crystal Meth... what I see is coke and a lot of it.  I feel sad for the addiction that I see that goes with it...  The costs in friendships, destroyed health and ruined lives.

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:26:14 am »
I have friends who use crystal on a regular basis and unfortunaely I can see what its doig to them. 
They are oblivious to the consequences of constant use and are destroying themselves physically and socially.
I despair for these guys and no matter what I say or do, they continue the use.
It is tragic and a slow withdrawal from living.
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 03:54:08 am »
Topic of drugs and sex fascinates me.
Topic of addiction fascinates me.

Doing drugs with sex. Well its pretty cool. But i guess nobody wants it ruin their lives. Right?

Miss P had it right about grey areas.

On a related note, I think we need to put sex + drugs square on the table for discussion.

Cause finally the most exciting sex I ever imagined (it was heterosexual and in a novel about the Indian Mutiny), and the most wonderful sex I ever had, was without drugs.

That said, my ex seroconverted from drugs+ sex and it destroyed our relationship and I'm suspicious I seroconverted from drugs + sex so voila. neither of us are addicts. 

this topic is so freaking complex.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:13 pm »
I did it once but never wanted to try it again. The high was great, but the next day feeling of no appetite, couldn't sleep, totally ruined the fun. Even when i was super high, I forced the guy to use condom even on a dildo he tried to use on me... I was neg back then.

Then I met tons of guys doing crystal. One thing in common is that most of them couldn't get real hard or keep it up.

Meth is uncool.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:20 am »
So true. 

I like that the article discussed the need for messages/discussion that deal with the realities of meth plus sex.  I'm the first to admit that very few of the ads that ran in NYC tackled this angle directly.

The only message that seems to get out is that meth = mind-blowing sex.  This is true, but typically for the short-term only.

It is equally true that meth often equals some great sex followed by increasing pathetic sex followed by a completely ruined sex life.

Once you get to that last stage, then "meth = great sex" becomes kind of a joke.

And have you ever been sober and tried to have sex with a tweaker?  It ain't pretty, or fun.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 01:25:28 pm »
I did it once but never wanted to try it again. The high was great, but the next day feeling of no appetite, couldn't sleep, totally ruined the fun. Even when i was super high, I forced the guy to use condom even on a dildo he tried to use on me... I was neg back then.

Then I met tons of guys doing crystal. One thing in common is that most of them couldn't get real hard or keep it up.

Meth is uncool.

I'd tried it couples of times and I don't see what's the big Woop.  Yeah, it's a nice high, but I can't get into it.  I guess I am immuned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 05:03:36 pm »
#11 and #12 make me say "meth-free is the way to be" (and i'll never try it)

Offline Jody

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 02:14:31 pm »
I tried it a couple of times and while it had an effect on others who were doing it, I got nothing from it, not even a buzz...Lucky me I guess.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 07:26:39 am »
Meth was great the first time back  in January of 2002 on an extended trip to San Francisco, I had a 4 day meth orgy at the Four Seasons. Then I went home and discovered that meth plus internet made for no more lonely nights or weekends.

Then came HIV, that made it better, i could fuck and get fucked with the best of them with no regard for the what ifs. Then came the sad realization that this wasn't real this was just guys using each other for depraved sex. Then came the needle, man was that a high, i don't remember that night but I remember the crash.

Now i can't figure out how to negotiate sex and dating without meth, and I'm the loneliest guy in the world even if I have the magic baggie, I'm still alone no matter who's in the bed with me.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:30 am »
CJ -- I've heard stories like yours more times than I can count.  That's why I think the "meth = great sex" reputation is so off-base.

meth eventually = pathetic sex

Offline lucas777

• 'Know Thy Self '
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 02:51:02 pm »

I've never used meth but I can relate to loneliness also to emptiness after 15 years of crack and heroin addiction, I feel like there is a huge gap between me and the reality and people, feel often confused . Sex in my opinion is best without any chemicals in the body(I speak for myself). also I think drugs make you empty and isolated in the end.  I found a great deal of help from 12 steps programme and the fellowships.

Bless,
L.
"Give me a sense of humor, Lord, Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life, and pass it on to others."

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 03:54:59 am »
I never fit into the gay "community" very well, and meth is what made me feel like I belonged.  I have gone a year or close to it without using, and that's the same period I go without being with another guy.

There are lots of groups and events in Seattle for gay meth users who have quit or are trying to quit however they see to be quite into the younger guys, they get all the "support" and phone calls while the older (39) guys like myself are kind of left out in the cold. This was pointed out to me when my former BF who was 21 went to a meeting  and listed my mobile number on the call sheet.  It was our only phone number but after three days of voice mails from the overeager helping hands of the support group members. To this day I have e only received calls from one member of the groups I tried to go to.

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:47:03 am »
CJ -- everything you just said here is worth saying out loud at a meeting.  These meetings are filled with folks like you and me -- humans, with all their character flaws.  But if you raise your hand and speak honestly, and from the heart, someone will reach out to you.

Just as you deserve to be patient with yourself, you need to be patient with others as well.  Keep trying!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.