Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773216
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 535
Total: 538

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: High risk is driving me insane, just need some support before testing  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Bobby24

Okay... here's the situation.  Three years ago on a vacation to Brazil i met a prostitute in an upper scale club.  We "fell in love" and I spent the week with her down there.  During the week I'd say we had sex seven or eight times, using a condom less than half the times.  I was young, stupid, and just over taken by the romance of it all that I stupidly ignored the risk of unprotected vaginal in relation to HIV.  What also scares me is that during sex one time she fingered my anus ffter wetting it with her vaginal fluids.  The next morning there was blood on the toilet paper. 

I am a pretty big hypochondriac to begin with so I think I kind of shut the incident away and ignored it.  Never got tested.  Last year I began getting occasional panic attacks regarding the incidents.  After a couple of pesky sore throats last winter I began looking up symptoms of HIV.  Sure enough I soon had them all.  I'm not sure what the common symtoms are two years later but I've had everything from gland pain, to anal abscess, gingivitis... granted these are all things that can happen to anyone regardless of HIV but I am in constant and complete state of fear and anxiety.

I think it is because I've been dating a girl I am into.  Before I began educating myself on HIV i slept with her about four times unprotected.  I know she was negative.  I always pulled out.  After educating myself on the real risk of precum and the fact that I had some symptoms I have been steadily using a condom, although during oral I ejaculated in her mouth once or twice. 

I've talked to her and we are both going to get tested... but here is my problem and dilemma.

1.  I do not have health insurance.  I am afraid if I go to a clinic and test positive I will be put on a list and denied health insurance.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  If I do test positive I will surely need it.

2.  I'm just scared out of my mind to get tested.  I know that I have to to, but everytime I think about it I have a severe panic attack.

3.  I ordered a home testing kit to stay annoumous, but I'm not sure that I will have the guts to make the phone call, nor am I sure I would want to hear the results over the phone.

Im sorry this is long... im just losing my mind right now.  I thank everyone who responds and wish everyone on this site the best, healthies, happiest New Year!! 

Offline RapidRod

Re: High risk is driving me insane, just need some support before testing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:52:38 pm »
So far in what you said your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. Symptoms if you have them are 2-4 weeks post exposure and last 1-2 weeks. Symptoms are in no way, a way to diagnosis HIV. Only an HIV test can do that. You will need to test 13 weeks past your last unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse that you have had with this new girl to get a correct result. Have her go with you too and be tested at the same time. We can tell you your risk. We can tell if you need to test or not, but it is up to you to go take the test and get the results.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:05:03 am »
Are you from the US?  HIV + does not  mean no health insurance--you can still go under the group plan offered by an employer--I would go under a larger employer.  There is no 'DO NOT INSURE' list floating around--the result goes to the health department, not to all the insurance companies of the nation.  I am positive and have insurance through my employer, including meds.  Anyhow, options are not closed.  But you do not know your status, so you may never have to even worry about this.

Anyhow, that is really getting ahead of things since you do not even know if you are positive or negative.  As Rod said, test 13 weeks after the last unprotected incident.  Take the girl with you.  The symptoms are not worrisome for HIV, but still they do not diagnose and a test still must be taken.

Yes, you are scared to get tested and get a test result.  Look at it this way:  Would you rather be like some of the overly anxious, obsessive people who post on this board, who have no lives because of their fear and spend years in such a state and then years later find out you were negative and had nothing to worry about and wasted your life?  (Sorry for that run on)  Or if positive, would you rather find out years later in a hospital with 50 CD4 count and with PCP?  Or if positive would you rather live in ignorance and pass it to others?

You know what you have to do.  Would taking someone with you help you get the courage?  Such as that girl or family member or friend?
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Adonis

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:12:10 am »
Bobby24:

Although most of the posters on this board really know their stuff and are able to give you really good advice, you can't really put off that HIV test for your own peace of mind. Think of it this way, if you have HIV, then early discovery would give you plenty of strategies and options in order to enahce your health as much as possible. And if you test HIV negative, the negative test results will be a lot more comforting to you than any advice that anyone can give you.

Offline Adonis

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 04:21:59 am »

Yes, you are scared to get tested and get a test result.  Look at it this way:  Would you rather be like some of the overly anxious, obsessive people who post on this board, who have no lives because of their fear and spend years in such a state and then years later find out you were negative and had nothing to worry about and wasted your life?  (Sorry for that run on)  Or if positive, would you rather find out years later in a hospital with 50 CD4 count and with PCP?  Or if positive would you rather live in ignorance and pass it to others?

Good advice, but I think that Bobby24's fear is a natural one. Of course, denial doesn't help, but perhaps not everyone is able to deal with things head on as some may not be ready emotionally and psychologically to deal with a potential positive diagnosis.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:51:33 am »
Adonis,

You are in no position to be giving out advice on this forum. Please desist. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Bobby24

Need some advice on Oraquick Oral
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:55 pm »
From my earlier post you know I had some very risky unprotected vaginal sex with "working girls" down in brazil a couple years ago.  Since then all of my encounters have been protected.  I had never been tested.  Three years after my excapades in Brazil my body started acting weird. A couple Abscessed teeth, anal abscess, severe gingivitis,  feverless night sweats, swollen glands (unconfirmed)

After reaching an anxiety level i could no longer take, my current girlfriend and I (we had been using protection) went to a local planned parenthood and both took the oraquick oral rapid hiv1/2 test.  We both tested negative.

At this point I would like to begin having unprotected sex with her.  But I have read so much of false positives, I have a fear of a false negative.   

Is further testing warranted or would most of you agree that I can finally be past this point in my life and sleep with my girl monomously unprotected?

I would love to hear some opinions. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 05:56:37 pm »
You don't need any further testing you are negative. Do you want to give up condoms? Only if you want to start worrying yourself about a child.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 06:42:55 pm »
Bobby, it's good to know you finally got tested and received a happy result.

As long you both had your HIV tests done at 13 weeks or more after your most recent unprotected intercourse then those negative results are reliable.

However, unprotected sex is not something to be embarked upon lightly. Unless you are both absolutely commmitted to a securely monogamous relationship then you absolutely should continue using condoms.

There are alternative methods of birth control which can be used, but as far as HIV is concerned, condoms  are what works in non-monogamy situations.

Andy Velez

Offline Bobby24

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 07:10:03 pm »
thanks guys... we definately plan on birth control...  the test was done well beyond 3 months of last unprotected encounter.  I understand the risks of eliminating condoms-  it is just that I want to be 100% certain that i am negative before doing so.   If everyone agrees that the Oraquick oral rapid tests are only definitive when it comes to negatives then I am ready (well it will probably take some more time to lose this anxiety) But if anyone believes that to be more certain i should take a blood test then I will.   I appreciate the responses.  I guess my paranoia stems from reading that many test sites stop using the oral ones.  HAHA i always said i wouldnt be one of those people who dont trust the negative result.  and here i am.  Go figure

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.