Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:17:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Horror Show in Tampa...Tea Party Debate...  (Read 5660 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Horror Show in Tampa...Tea Party Debate...
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:14 pm »
Unbelievable healthcare segment:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Am2bWQRNw

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Horror Show in Tampa...Tea Party Debate...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:32 pm »
Apparently cheering for Rick Perry's record of 234 executions was not enough for some audience members.  Listen closely when Ron Paul mentions letting a man die (from lack of health care) and audience members yell in agreement. I'm really starting to become seriously afraid of these people.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:16:03 am »
Apparently cheering for Rick Perry's record of 234 executions was not enough for some audience members.  Listen closely when Ron Paul mentions letting a man die (from lack of health care) and audience members yell in agreement. I'm really starting to become seriously afraid of these people.
Ron Paul does NOT mention letting the man die. Wolf Blitzer aks that in his question. The audience cheers and several people yell "yeah", while Ron Paul says "no". He says that when he practiced medicine, churches took care of people, and that the hospital where he worked never turned anyone away.

Try living down here in Tea Party Central (ie the state of SC). I'm not surprised the Tea Party crowd hoots-n-hollers, and thinks people without insurance should just die. I hear that sort of "logic" from relatives, neighbors, and on FB all the time. For a bunch of religious-y, Baptist-y people, they sure seem to have missed out on most of Jesus' teachings about caring for the poor.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:56 am »
Ron Paul does NOT mention letting the man die. Wolf Blitzer aks that in his question. The audience cheers and several people yell "yeah", while Ron Paul says "no". He says that when he practiced medicine, churches took care of people, and that the hospital where he worked never turned anyone away.

Try living down here in Tea Party Central (ie the state of SC). I'm not surprised the Tea Party crowd hoots-n-hollers, and thinks people without insurance should just die. I hear that sort of "logic" from relatives, neighbors, and on FB all the time. For a bunch of religious-y, Baptist-y people, they sure seem to have missed out on most of Jesus' teachings about caring for the poor.

No Ron Paul was giving a very reasoned answer, but when the idea of letting the guy die some in the audience cheered.  It's those people who scare me.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:34:22 am »
No Ron Paul was giving a very reasoned answer ... It's those people who scare me.
i agree with this second post

However in your first post, you wrote that "Ron Paul mentioned[sic] letting the man die" and that implies that Ron Paul said something about letting the insured man die. Ron Paul said no such thing. Wolf Blitzer is the person that talks about "letting the man die" in his question TO Ron Paul.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:51 am »
These people scare me also.   I never saw one black person in the crowd, at any of their debates so far.
Their ideas on healthcare, immigration, taxes....it all makes me crazy.  They seem to be very racist, to me.

Michelle Bachman said "I am insulted that you would FORCE innocent young girls to get a state-sanctioned injection" (gardisil).   This was one of the few things I think Rick Perry had done right; she stated that he probably got some kind of 'kick-back' or something from the deal, and I have no doubt of that....

We all know these "innocent young girls" would NEVER have sex, and even if they did, would NEVER have it with anyone who had HPV.    It is amazing to me the lies that these people can convince themselves of.

Abolish the EPA; the NTSB....these folks want no regulations on ANYBODY.   Just feel free to pollute and destroy whatever you like, as long as it "creates jobs" (is profitable). 

>:(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:08 am »

Michelle Bachman said "I am insulted that you would FORCE innocent young girls to get a state-sanctioned injection" (gardisil).   This was one of the few things I think Rick Perry had done right; she stated that he probably got some kind of 'kick-back' or something from the deal, and I have no doubt of that....

We all know these "innocent young girls" would NEVER have sex, and even if they did, would NEVER have it with anyone who had HPV.    It is amazing to me the lies that these people can convince themselves of.

This was, I hope, the damning statement against Bachman continuing as a candidate. What concerns me most is not only the damage control that must ensue with regard to Gardasil for young women, but also for men. This puts her in the Palin silo from my perspective.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 11:37:27 am »
As Gail Collins puts it (she's back in the NYTImes!) Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul and Rick Santorum think they can run for President and win on a platform of opposing cancer prevention.

Oppose Cancer Prevention!
NOW!

rather gives one pause...

***edit -- how could I forget Ron Paul -- Mr "why provide health insurance to my campaign manager -- we'll just let him die uninsured"?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:42:35 am by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:20 am »
Comic pause:

Rosanne Barr on Conan last night commented on Ms. Bachmann and her beautiful clothes. "She's a wonderful dresser and her clothes are beautiful. Just think how big her closets must be for all her clothes, her husband and her shoes."

Offline Gio

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
I saw when those individuals started cheering it ran chills down my back...  Obviously they have never have dealt with a loved one dying....  It was truly appalling in so many levels

Offline LM

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:15:53 pm »
It scares me to think the American people would elect someone like most of these guys. They would turn the US into a Christian Taliban-like regime of the Western World. Way worse than Bush.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:36:16 pm »
i agree with this second post

However in your first post, you wrote that "Ron Paul mentioned[sic] letting the man die" and that implies that Ron Paul said something about letting the insured man die. Ron Paul said no such thing. Wolf Blitzer is the person that talks about "letting the man die" in his question TO Ron Paul.

Yes I got the details wrong, but not the intent. Ron Paul had just talked about people being responsible for their own health care and when Wolf asked the question of letting the man die, Ron did say no, but he replied with an anecdote about it being the responsibility of churches to provide the health care.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »
but he replied with an anecdote about it being the responsibility of churches to provide the health care.
also, as a usual hyprocrite not accepting the reality of reality, Ron Paul went on to say that the hospital never turned away any patients. Which means they did treat people without insurance. So while he suggested that churches should handle the problem, he actually said that the hospitals have been handling those kinds of cases (and not the churches).

you gotta listen between the lines (lies :D) to hear the truth of what Ron Paul actually said. ;) while he did not say the man should die, he also did not say that churches handled the problem either. he said no patients were turned away - which means the hospital actually incurred the costs. I'm sure (from my own experiences with my partners in the hospitals) that the costs were then passed along to other patients via higher rates, to the state (Medicaid, which can be "retroactive" in case of death) and to the Fed (Medicare, government grants and reimbursements) if possible.

The Tea Party and some of these Republican politicans seem like they would rather ignore the issue, claim it shouldn't happen, and make no preparations for when it does happen. Sounds like the stupidity I hear from my TeaParty family members.  ::)

We've already treating those patients at exorbient emergency room costs. Since we'll always be treating people without insurance (ie the poor) we should actually make plans on how to make their care more cost-effective rather than just keep saying they should have gotten insurance, while we continue to pay for them at those higher rates. Doh!

Sorry, Ron Paul, the reality is that "no plan" (or maybe the "plan"/laziness of hoping churchs will just solve the problem) is not a plan at all. ::)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:41 pm »
We all know these "innocent young girls" would NEVER have sex, and even if they did, would NEVER have it with anyone who had HPV.
not only working with my ASO but with an org called TellThem! (tellthemsc.org) that deals with sexual health care issues in SC (like teen pregnancy, STDs and HIV) it's stupid remarks from officials that trouble me the most. HPV isn't quite as widespread as Herpes, but it's getting there. Even if those "innocent girls" follow a plan of abstinence, they only follow it until they slip up or they get married. Eventually nearly all of those girls, just like the boys, end up having sex at some point and put themselves at risk for HPV, HIV, or pregnancy. That's how it's been happening for a long time, for heaven's sake. Can't these officials not see any reality at all through their blinders of religion.

Are these opponents against gardisil also against flouride in the water, and immunizations against measles, mumps, and rubella? Wonder if they'll be against the HIV vaccine someday?? I'm betting with the homophbobia and stigma nobody will be against that one. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:13 pm »

Alan Grayson's comment, some time ago, wasn't too far off the mark, after watching the debate, when it came to that question to Ron Paul:   ::) Starting at about 1 minute in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpQ2MNaSDo

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:38:55 am »
John King had that racist sheriff from Arizona on his show last night; the Repugnican candidates are all vying to get this man's endorsement.....

Also, Perry had dinner with Donald Trump yesterday.....looking for an 'endorsement'.    None of this surprises me; what does surprise me is that people are so foolish as to VOTE for these clowns, who want to turn this country over to big business and screw the working class even more than they are already screwed.

Isn't it wild that the few really good and worthwhile things some of these candidates have done (Perry and the gardisil injections and the college tuition for immigrants; Romney and Mass. health care) are now albatrosses around their necks, and they are trying to tap dance to avoid their past actions....

>:(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »
Comic pause:

Rosanne Barr on Conan last night commented on Ms. Bachmann and her beautiful clothes. "She's a wonderful dresser and her clothes are beautiful. Just think how big her closets must be for all her clothes, her husband and her shoes."

Not to throw shade, but Ms. Barr's comment hit the target spot on down to a specific molecule.

;)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.