Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:35:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 478
Total: 481

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question regarding Gabapentin and H1A-Hemoglobin  (Read 5858 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Question regarding Gabapentin and H1A-Hemoglobin
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:12:18 pm »
Two separate areas that I would like some feedback on...

Saw my ID doc today - she has scheduled me for an EMG due to pain in feet -  tingles, heat, needle/shock feeling - that travels up my leg to just below my knee...

She also gave me a script for gabapentin (1 capsule, 3 times daily)...

She seems to think that the pain/sensation may be neuropathy.... I was told a couple of years ago that I had neuropathy, but that doctor never ordered an EMG and did not prescribe medication...

I know there are many members who have experience with neuropathy - I guess my question is, is gabapentin standard to prescribe? side effects? effectiveness?

Also, she is a bit concerned that my glucose was showing high for 2nd set of labs in a row.... not far above the threshold but high enough that she is adding an H1A (??), hemoglobin test?  Anyone know anything about this?

I know that diabetes runs heavy in my family - my father had late onset diabetes requiring daily insulin shots and my mother was borderline for years and just had to go on injections a few months ago (grandmother had severe diabetes)....

I guess any insight that could be provided regarding the above would be appreciated..... (on a positive note - in addition to the VL still being UD, the dayummmm syphilis titer is staying at 1:4 - which is acceptable).

Thanks for any feedback.
-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Question regarding Gabapentin and H1A-Hemoglobin
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
Gabapentin/Neurontin is fairly standard, at least for the first attempt at treating it, and this is because it has a low propensity for side effects.  The dose you were given is about as low as it goes, so if you don't feel any relief she can raise the dose much higher.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:38:05 pm »
Gabapentin/Neurontin is fairly standard, at least for the first attempt at treating it, and this is because it has a low propensity for side effects.  The dose you were given is about as low as it goes, so if you don't feel any relief she can raise the dose much higher.

Thanks Ms. P.
I was just going through some of the older posts and saw that Betty was on it before and that you are on it...
Hoping it brings some relief.... I have had a few pretty bad bouts with the foot and leg pain - but nothing debilitating - more of an annoyance right now. She was going to do Lyrica - but opted for the gabapentin.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:03 am »
H1A hemoglobin is a standard test for blood sugar regulation. It tests the sugar attached to your red blood cells. H1A measures the general long-term reguation of sugar in your blood, blood glucose measures the as it is now at this moment level of sugar in your blood.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:35:32 am »
Hi Phil, yeah, it certainly sounds like neuropathy.  What you described is what happened to me, but years ago.  I was on Gabapentin, but a pretty high dose (900 mgs 3 times a day).  At least from what I remember that's what the dose was; it's been quite a while since taking Gabapentin, so trying to precisely remember the dose is difficult for me.
I'm on Lyrica now.  It works pretty well also, and I've not experienced the side effects that other people seem to fear, or experience.  I still have the shocking pain from time to time, but certainly nothing like it was prior to medication.
I've not heard of H1A for blood sugar testing.  When I get my routine labs, my doctor checks my A1C.  This also shows what a typical blood sugar has been over the last 6 months.  Maybe the H1A is for pre-diabetes diagnosis?  Not sure.  Anyway, good luck with that.  I detest having diabetes, and sometimes having AIDS is easier to manage.  But I'm an insulin dependent diabetic, so managing blood sugar is trickier than when just being able to manage it with pills, exercise, diet.  I always have to watch almost everything-carbs cause blood sugar to spike just as much as sugar does.  Well, empty carbs.  For instance, if I eat a piece of white bread (which I haven't done in a long time), it will cause my blood sugar to rise more than if I eat a piece of whole wheat.  It's about how the body is able to break it down, and eating "complex" carbs is better, because it keeps the blood sugar steadier than eating "empty" carbs.  That goes for pasta, cereal etc.   Anyway, I'm rambling.  I will be looking back for an update, though, to see what the H1A shows.  If it does show definite diabetes I would recommend asking your doctor to refer you to a diabetic dietician.  I saw one a while back and it helped quite a bit.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:41:23 am »
Wow - thank you so much Newt and Betty for the information... It was truly helpful.

People can sometimes say what they will.... but one thing I know for sure about these forums, is they are invaluable when it comes to receiving feedback, experience, expertise, and support....

I will keep everyone posted.... (don't worry - there will be no "dayuummm diabetes" or "dayummmm neuropathy" thread)

Thanks again to Ms. P., Newt, and Betty --- feedback is appreciated!

-Phil
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »
My pill-pushing Doc put me on Gaba a few years back because I complained about my feet being tingly. She never sent me for the EMG, she just gave me the scrip. I never really thought I had Neuropathy, and If I did it was very mild,  but I took the pills anyways.

My scrip was for 300mg 3x daily. I tried that for a few days but then gave up, the stuff makes me very drowsy. Too drowsy to function, so now I use it mainly at night to help me sleep.

-W

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 12:31:20 pm »
I take mine all before bedtime, same dose. I would call it "mildly sedating" but it doesn't knock me out, in fact the sedation takes a good hour to feel, and oddly often my libido increases. So I'm left in this delirious state of having to chose spanking the monkey with machofucker or dozing off to a good Hitler documentary. I'm sure with your shriveled testicles you don't encounter this issue, eh Guilhermina?

I can't imagine being sedated by one single capsule though, but then I can throw back 15 klonnies and go out shopping. This is the difference between a man and a boy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:33:10 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:28 pm »
H1A is the same as A1C, HbA1c is the full acronym, stands for hemoglobin A1c, a measure of glycated (ie sugar-bound) hemoglobin - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 04:50:31 am »
H1A is the same as A1C, HbA1c is the full acronym, stands for hemoglobin A1c, a measure of glycated (ie sugar-bound) hemoglobin - matt

Ah, thanks Matt.  I thought it odd that they would have two tests basically doing the same thing.

Also, I failed to mention the importance of protein when dealing with diabetes.  Protein helps maintain a steady blood sugar level.   If I have a "crash" in my sugar (hypoglycemia), I eat a little candy to bring the sugar up, then eat some protein to keep it steady.  Like for breakfast, I eat either an egg, or a piece of toast with peanut butter.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 10:59:25 am »
Phil,

I'm sorry to hear about this potential of you having neuropathy and/or diabetes problems.  I can't say that I known much about gabapentin.  But I do know a couple of folks who have had neuropathy problems, and have gotten relief from acetyl l-carnitine (it's an amino acid).  I know this is a bit homeopathic because it is basically a nutritional supplement, but you may wish to give it is a try if you can't get relief through other means.  You can research it, and make a decision for yourself.  Just be sure that you buy acetyl l-carnitine, and not l-carnitine or carnitine.

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:31:59 am »
hi phil,
Buckmark is right about the supplements.  i started getting the tingly, burning, and numbness in my feet and ankles sore like i climbed a mountain.  also my left hand and arm started going numb.

My doctor changed my medication from Atripla and it started getting better after a while.  i still have flareups with the feet and ankles, sometimes i have great days and it doesn't bother me at all, but some days i have to just sit it out

I take a supplement called Mitochondrial support from life extensions, it has super R Lipoic acid and a few other things that help you mitochondrial toxicity.  It seems to me it works pretty well although it is expensive for a 30 day supply its about 80 USD, but i order it online at amazon for about 55.00.

I'm usually alright but my feet are never the same as they once were, but i manage it most of the time.  My doctor still wants me to go back to the neuro to be checked for MS, because the flareups i get are oddly extreme where my whole body gets numb, face, groin, legs, feet, head, mouth

Also i take Klonopin when i get a bad flare=up and it helps quite a bit.  my doctor also gives me hydrocodone as well, but i have to try to control myself with these since they both have a 'hook' on them, but what else can ya do.

i tried Lyrica for a while, but i never noticed a difference. right now as I type my feet are OK, but prob in a week or two i will have a flareup
 that will put me down for a week or so.
my HIV doc said we would try other options if it gets worse as far as medications.

if you have any questions for me please feel free to ask
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.