Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:19:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 328
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: cvid and test  (Read 15350 times)

Offline fakesmile

cvid and test
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
Thanks everyone in advanced for your time this is my situation

. I was in the Dominican republic on vacation and met a young lady and had unprotected sex with her after speaking to her she confessed she was a part time csw. I have tested at 8 weeks with the orashure advanced using finger prick it was negative. Were it gets complicated is I was diagnosed with CDIV I asked my Dr what the affect would be on my Rapid test and he was not sure and left it at that. I have been reading conflicting opinions on this some say I will get a false negative others say a test at 3 months is conclusive. what do you guys think.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: cvid and test
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »
You do need to test at 3 months. And yes, a negative at 3 months would be conclusive and reilable.

Do yourself a favor and stop surfing the net for opinions. For sure you will unfortunately find fuel for your worst fears. Get tested at 3 months and pick up what I expect will likely be a negative result after that negative at 8 weeks.

And learn from this experience. You need to be wearing a condom everytime you have either vaginal or anal intercourse. It doesn't matter if you are with a civilian or a professional or what you think you know about the person you are with. A condom is a must everytime. Period.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:12:52 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:41:05 pm »
Thanks Andy Im in tears as im writing this I feel so hopeless. I dont mean to question you but isnt cvid the lack of the body creating antibodys so how can a anti body test find them if they are not their . I want to understand so I can move on to my next step if I am Poz. I will deal with it. It is the fact of not knowing that I cant handle.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:14:31 pm »
In just a very short time you can re-test and I expect the result to be negative.

Not so incidentally, HIV is a fragile virus. It is significantly harder to pass from woman to man than the other way around. You had a single possible exposure and the odds are way your favor that you are going to test negative.

Stop with all the drama! You need to work now on focusing your attention on other things in your life instead of feeling sorry for yourself. And don't bother saying you're too worried to think about anything else because I can tell you that response won't fly here.

I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:26:54 pm »
Thanks Andy I feel like a punk for even righting that. Anyways If you guys dont mind I will post my 12 week results

Abrasos
Pepe

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:54 am »
OK, Pepe. We will be expecting to hear from you about your result and I do expect it to be a happy one.

Abrazos. 
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:54:21 am »
Andy one last question I am going for my 3 month test it is a the pcr dna for hiv1 do I need to consider hiv 2 that test is big bucks ( it sucks not to have insurance ) I cant wait for this to be over so I can pop the cork on the moet. ( if you were in south fla i would invite you to the party )

thanks
Pepe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:44 am »
Pepe,

The DNA PCR test is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes due to a high rate of false positive results. Only the RNA PCR test is approved for diagnostics.

You don't need to be tested for hiv2. It is only found in Western Africa or countries who host West African immigrants.

You are highly unlikely to end up hiv positive over a one-off insertive vaginal experience, even if she is hiv positive. I don't expect you to test positive, no matter what test you use.

Ann
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:09:17 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:16 am »
THanks Ann by the way i love your blog you are also invited to the party :D

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 10:34:53 am »
One Last question i promise if I have true ars symptoms that means your body is creating antibodys and a antibody test is accurate. outside the window period 3 months. The cvid has me a little freacked out about the accuracy of the test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:03 am »
"Symptoms" are never the way to know anything accurately about your HIV status. Speculating about symptoms is fruitless. Only an HIV specific test at 3 months can give you the accurate and conclusive result you are looking for.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:09:38 pm »
I understand im just trying to avoid that expensive test and go with the antibody test But my concern is the cvid will get in the way of the test. I guess the big problem I cant get an answer to how the cvid is going to affect the test. Im sure the symptoms I have are more of anxiety than anything else ( I am a single dad of 5 year old triplets my life is anxiety) and im sure when I test it will ease my mind I just want to take the right test

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 12:29:29 pm »
fake,

Like I told you before, if you go for a PCR (viral load) test, make sure it is an RNA, NOT a DNA test. The RNA is the only one approved for diagnostics, but a lot of doctors don't seem to know (or perhaps care) about that.

How CVID will affect you depends on the type and severity of your particular case. That's why the V in CVID stands for variable. It may not affect the antibody test at all.

Are you being treated with immunoglobulin replacement therapy? Because if you're not, you probably don't have a serious enough case to worry about the antibody test not being accurate at three months. You should be seeing an immunologist about this.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 12:34:01 pm »
No I am no type of treatment it mostly affects my digestive track but I have never had Bronchitis or pneumonia. Im hopping to save some cash and go to DR after I get my tax return.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »
Fake,

Ah, no insurance, eh? That sucks. I guess that would rule out getting referred to an immunologist. If you're not constantly getting bacterial infections, you're probably going to be ok with the antibody test as it sounds like your case isn't that severe. Good luck, hope you manage to get insurance some day. You need it with something like CVID and triplets as well.

Just to be clear though, you really are not likely to end up positive over this one unprotected insertive vaginal encounter, regardless of the CVID. I was with a negative man for eighteen months before I was diagnosed. We never used condoms during that time (we did after my diagnosis) and he remained hiv negative. We were together a total of eight years and he is still hiv negative to this day.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »
Thanks Ann your words especially from your personal experience is very reassuring. If your ever in south fla Let me Know and I will hook up with the best cuban food u ever had.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 12:53:49 pm »
Fake,

You're welcome. I live on a Rock in the middle of the Irish Sea, so I probably won't make it to south Florida any time soon, but thanks for the offer.

Now do yourself a favour and stay off hiv internet sites while you wait to test. You'll only fuel your anxiety. Go take the triplets out to the beach or something instead. They must sure keep you busy!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:29 am »
Thanks
 offer is always open   

heading to the beach today and I will try to stay off the computer because it defenetly makes me nuts.

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 05:56:56 pm »
i hope i dont overstay my welcome and someone could answer. I know symptoms dont mean anything but I have to ask. What do the ars rash look like i just got what looks like a dark frekel on my pinky and a lighter one on my neck. the one on my finger is very dark almost brown. I know I should not worry but please if someone can just give me a brief description on what a ars rash looks like. Im so sorry for even asking I cant afford a pcr test and Im very concerned that a antibody test wont work on me. I am waiting till tuesday to pawn my tv to try to get some cash to take a test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 06:02:19 pm »
The rash associated with ARS is flat, red and does not itch. It appears on the torso and sometimes the extremities as well. If ARS symptoms appear they come on at the same time and are gone after a week or two. They do not come on singly, disappear and then others appear.

Hold on to your tv because you're going to want it to use after you have received the negative test results we expect you to receive. You can also use it while you are waiting to get tested which would be a way better use of your time than searching the net for things to scare yourself about unnecessarily or feeling sorry for yourself and working up totally unwarranted drama as you have been doing.

Really.

At the end of all this I expect you to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:15 pm »
Thanks Andy I know this isnt a support forum but man you sure do give support

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 06:29:07 pm »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 07:19:15 pm »
Hey Guys just a quick update spoke to  doc on my cvid and he told me I should not be worried about antibody development in m y case. I took a oraquick advanced rapid test (finger stick) at 11 weeks and it was negative. I also asked the counselor giving the test (ahf foundation)  about oral sex ( me being sucked ) and he looked at me like I had two heads and said HIV was not spread that way . I knew that was going to be his answer from what I have read only worry about the Vag. sex. Anyways so far so good a couple of more weeks and Ill be in much better mental health. I will probably still test a 6 months but I dont think it will change it will just be to confirm what I have been told by you guys

Thanks
Andy and Ann
Love Pepe from Miami.
 :-*

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:27:47 pm »
Hey guys just a quick update and even faster question i went for my 90 day test and it was negative. It was a terrible day for me the young man who was their testing before me tested + my Heart felt so heavy for him. I told him  about this sight and what an inspiration you guys are (Heroes in so many ways ). It was definitely a 2 xzanax day. So many positive things are going on with me it looks like me and my wife will get back together.

Anyways do you guys think i should test out to 6 months taking into consideration my situation?

Ps
The guy who tested + said it happened because he had just had molar pulled that had not healed and he took a load in his mouth. Talk about bad luck one of the hardest transmission routs and he got it. Thats why I agree with that comment that Ann made on those cdc number 1 in 10000 or whatever.  its like playing Russian rullet if you dont watch what your doing. The oral wasnt the problem it was the big hole in his mouth.   

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 05:32:34 pm »
There is no need for further testing. You have reliably tested negative for HIV. Period. End of story.

And you will continue to stay negative in terms of sexual risk for HIV as long as you consistently use condoms for intercourse. No exceptions.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »
Thanks Andy

that was a fast response were you standing behind me waiting for me to stop typing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
Yes,  I was.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:01 pm »
Hey guys why do the cdc still hold on to the 6 month test are they just over conservative or do they like freeking people out

Ps
Ann I was reading your blog and im sure you have been told this before you have realy nice eyes ( not trying to flirt just an observation )

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »
Hey guys why do the cdc still hold on to the 6 month test are they just over conservative or do they like freeking people out

Ps
Ann I was reading your blog and im sure you have been told this before you have realy nice eyes ( not trying to flirt just an observation )
They don't.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

Page 11
Number 4

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »
The CDC only recommends testing out to 6 months in very specific situations such as when the longterm use of intravenous drug use is involved or organ transplant or treatment for an illness such as cancer, all of  which has harsh effects on the immune system.

In your case you are reliably negative, Pepe, so take a breath and get on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »
Thanks for the info guys that was a interesting read Rapid . Its funky how when you go to the cdc main page on hiv they give a 97% number which means 3 in 100 wont test accurately at 3 months. I guess its the government being the government. ???

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 05:11:40 pm »
Hey guys how is everyone doing. Well just a update all tests taken have been negative!!!! I'm coming up to my last test that my doc said I should take he is scheduling a icma antibody test .I never herd of this test and I don't google HIV info cause it drives me nuts. Can you guys give me some info on it.

Best regards
Pepe

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 06:36:11 pm »
Last test? I am confused. Your last post here was a year ago almost. If there as another incident with in the past three months I understand. If not, then..... really?
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 07:02:41 pm »
No same incident I'm just going by what my doc. Advised he put me on a testing schedule because of the cvid when I asked him about the 3 month window period he said I fell in the category to test out to one year. I know what your going to say and to be honest I agree but I take blood tests all the time so what's one more except the fact I have to pay out of pocket it's hard to get insurance with pre excisting conditions but that's a whole different topic. I'm just curious why he wants this test all the other ones have been rapid finger prick type which are a lot cheaper

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 07:09:37 pm »
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain your conclusive negative test result. There are no reasons what so ever to test out to a year.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10:15 pm »
Well we have a disagreement with your doctor. I don't know of any situations including yours which would require testing out to beyond six months.

I don't see there is anything more for us to say about the situation. Even when other issues are involved, if you are testing negative at 6 months then you are HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:31 pm »
Fully understood guys. Have a great night Thanks for all your help in the past.

Your Cuban friend
Pepe

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:37 am »
OK. Get on with your life, Pepe.
Andy Velez

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »
I'm such freeken idiot. I did something today that is driving me crazy if i could I would kick my own ass. I went and got a elisa test when I should haven't even taken it. I have a autoimmune disorder that from reading can cause false positive. I swear after I get the results I wont even think about this chapter in my life. Not a question but I needed to vent.

Offline fakesmile

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:18 pm »
Yeah baby!!!!,!,    Negative.  Negative . Negative.

God bless all you muchos besos
Pepe

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »
That's great.

Now how about letting go of this stuff and getting on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.