Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:28:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 617
Total: 620

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching Meds  (Read 5253 times)

Offline atlq

Switching Meds
« on: July 17, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »
I have been on a Kaletra based combo for 2+ years. I will be changing my combo this week due to some Lipo issues (LDL and triglycerides). Since I wish to avoid Norvir for awhile my doc and and are thinking of Intelence or Isentress (or possibly both) to add to my Truvada. I say possibly both because I do have some low level resistance to the Truvada already some we feel it may be better to pair it with two active drugs. Anyone on either Intelence, Isentress, or both? i would appreciate any experiences you may have had with side effects, etc!.......
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Switching Meds
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 04:18:28 pm »
Hi atlq.  I have been on Isentress for 8 months and it's been remarkably side effects free for me, more-so than any other HIV med I've ever taken and I've been on treatment for 15 years.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline atlq

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 05:34:02 pm »
Thanks Philly. I've been on treatment a long time also, and have been pretty lucky, in terms of side effects (although some mild  lipoatrophy from years on AZT began showing up around 2001).

I also have some resistance issues (K103N, which knocks out the old NNRTI's and some intermediate resistance to most of the NRTI's), so I want to make sure this combo is potent enough, as well as being tolerable.

BTW, even though I am a LTS, I am new here and really appreciate this forum!... ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:40:05 pm »
Isentress is potent.  I replaced Fuzeon with it, and Fuzeon was the first med to ever get me to undetectable (obviously I have tons of resistance issues too).  Fuzeon also increased my cd4's from the 500's to over 1000, and my % from ~35% to ~40%.  As of my last labs Isentress has not only maintained what I got on Fuzeon, but improved them slightly (vl = <50, cd4 1320, cd4% 44%)

For what it's worth the other meds I'm on with Isentress are Prezista (w/Norvir booster) and Truvada.

Offline atlq

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:47:51 pm »
That is good to hear. I have been undetectable for 2 1/2 years until last June, when my last two VL's were 405 and 808, respectively. That, plus the cholesterol issues were enough to convince me it was time to change. Nothing is set yet, Prevista is still in the mix, but quite frankly Norvir, even at low doses. scares me a bit....

Offline atlq

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:52:28 am »
Gonna start on my new combo tonight...Intelence, Isentress, and Truvada...hope I don't have to take a day off work to adjust....just too busy!...would love to hear from others on the same combo!...

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:42:16 pm »
Hi atlq,

we probably have a similar resistance profile (103/108, 184/215 here), and similar issues (triglycerides/cholesterol).

Hopes you will do great on this new combo.

Regarding the trigl issues, reducing the carbs and taking O-3-6 and fish oil, sport and good diet can normally eliminate the problem.
For the cholesterol, I guess it's more difficult as I heard that diet+sport can help in a range of typically 20%.

So the question : Are you stopping Kaletra after having try your best to improve your numbers but without success (tri/chol) ?

Were you taking Kaletra once or twice a day ? For how long ? Twice a day sounds boring !! If you were on 2x / d , what time was it ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:44:38 pm by John2038 »

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:32 pm »
John,

Yeah, we sound pretty similar in terms of resistance-but it was mainly lipids that pushed me to switch regimens-

Appreciate the diet advice - do take some omega three and do 2.5 miles of cardio 3x a week....probably eat to much pasta though!...l...

The Kaletra was twice a day (in treatment experienced patients once a day dosing is not recommended), but all of my regimens have been....you young people and your once a day dosing!....why back in my day...lol...

Offline atlq

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:39 pm »
Well, I started a new combo Friday...replacing Kaletra with Isentress/Intelence (keeping Truvada)...of course it is too early to know anything lasting, but so far the "expected" nausea and headaches have been nonexistent..the only weird thing I have noticed is that the Intelence tabs are like those soft peppermint balls you used to get as a kid at your grandmothers....they dissolve almost on contact with your tongue, so you have to swallow fast!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:34 pm »
atlq, I'll be curious to see how your experience with Intelence is as I don't even know anyone personally here in Philly that is on it yet.  I'm sure I'll go on it at some point sooner than later.  Please keep us posted :)

Offline atlq

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:35:08 pm »
will do Philly...and thanks for the earlier info in this thread...hearing good experiences about taking new meds is very heartening....most people only write in with problems, but I think its equally important to talk about our meds when they are working and doing so with few side effects.....we help each other that way and replace irrational fear with a balanced perspective for the newbies...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.