Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:40:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 501
Total: 502

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To lose weight or not to lose weight?  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Salteen

To lose weight or not to lose weight?
« on: January 04, 2007, 10:17:55 am »
Ok, so most who have HIV aren't worried about gaining weight but I am.  I would actually like to lose 10 - 15 and then  I think I would feel a little bit better about myself.  I have a muscle build, am about 5'5 and weigh 150.  Any suggestions on how to do this wisely?  Keeping in mind that I am not on meds, and have a t cell count of 200 and a VL between 1,000-5,000.  I do exercise frequently, I try to get in at least 30 min a day.  My diet is ok not too horrible but not awesome.  Also keeping in mind I might have to go on meds soon...     

Offline qrky

Re: To lose weight or not to lose weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:17:51 pm »
Best thing you can do is going to be diet and exercise.  Avoid everything white (flour, bread, white rice, pasta) because it's processed/refined -- that's a health thing for sure but eating less sugar and zero corn syrup (check labels, you'll be quite surprised where sugar can be hidden) is a big boost to your body that gives you better nutrition and less sugar.   Might want to avoid potatoes too though I never made that one work for me.  Weight-wise you're not too bad so just start walking whenever you have time - if you want to get really enthusiastic go to the gym.  Dropping processed/refined carbs and other carbs that do not help you much (bread and pasta being big ones) and walk, you'll see the weight drop.

-doug

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
Re: To lose weight or not to lose weight?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:26:12 am »
I never eat until I feel like I am bursting at the seams.  Smaller meals more frequently helps.  I try to eat whole grains, brown rice, fresh fruits and veggies as much as possible.  The added fiber slows digestion so your blood sugar doesnt spike and you feel full longer.

Cutting out (or down) meat, eggs and dairy can help according to research-

“People who switch to a vegetarian diet typically lose about 10 percent of their body weight,” says PCRM nutrition scientist Amy Joy Lanou, Ph.D., an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Asheville. “Countless studies published in the scientific literature show that resolving to go meat-free in 2007 is the best way slim down and get healthy.”

The Findings:

In a study of nearly 22,000 people, Oxford University professor Timothy Key and his colleagues found that those who avoid animal products gain less weight over time than meat-eaters. The findings are published in the International Journal of Obesity.

A study of young Taiwanese women found that the vegetarians have slimmer waists and higher insulin sensitivity compared with omnivores. C. Hung and colleagues published the findings this year in the British Journal of Nutrition.

In a literature review published this year, Oxford 's Dr. Key and his colleagues found that vegetarians and vegans weigh less and have lower plasma cholesterol concentration than meat-eaters. The review appears in the Proceedings of the Nutrition Society.

A literature review conducted by researchers with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine notes that between zero and six percent of vegetarians are obese, while nearly 20 percent of the adult population in the United States is obese. Drs. Susan Berkow and Neal Barnard published the paper in Nutrition Reviews.

When individuals adhere to a low-calorie, low-fat vegetarian diet, they lose more weight and achieve greater decreases in blood cholesterol and blood glucose levels than if they follow a low-calorie and low-fat diet that includes meat. L. Burke and colleagues published these findings in the journal Obesity.

Vegetarians have a lower risk of metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease because they consistently consume higher amounts of protective foods compared with omnivores of the same weight. M. Vavlchovicova and colleagues published these findings this year in the European Journal of Nutrition.

-http://www.pcrm.org/news/release061219.html

Drew

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.