Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:19:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The cost of getting sick  (Read 5424 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
The cost of getting sick
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »
You know, there are times I think you can't win for losing.

I started getting the statements from my insurance company regarding how much they will pay for my recent emergency room visit and, more importantly for me, how much I will have to pay.

So far, my costs are coming in at just shy of $1,400. I may be able to cover that via my flex account. I had set aside about $3,600 to cover my doctor copays and medication copays for 12 months.

The down side to that is, just by themselves, my medication copays are $4,488 a year.

But, thanks to the benificience of Merck Pharmaceuticals, and the copay assistance plan they have, I only have to pay $30 a month for my Isentress, instead of the $194 I would have been paying without their assistance.

That has been a godsend for me.

I was going to use the extra money in the flex plan to get a new pair of glasses. But, now it looks like there won't be anything left over thanks to that ER escapade.

I just hope there is enough left to cover my meds for the rest of the fiscal year, which runs through June 30. I can probably cover the $110 I pay a month now, thanks to the assistance program, but it will make things tight.

It just doesn't pay to get sick.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:10:13 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: The cost of getting sick
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
Sorry your having to deal with all that ... I think these unexpected expenditures goes hand in hand with HIV , I know I have had my fair share of co pays this last month alone . Hang in there bud .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline edfu

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:34:52 pm »
I'm so sorry, Mark.  It's damned upsetting and depressing.  My best wishes.

Ed

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »
Oh Mark, that sucks.  I'm not sure what else to say, except that it just sucks.  I hope there's enough money left in the flex for everything you need.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »
Mark you made it this far, you'll find a way please don't let THIS ruin you holidays, it's a real bitch ya know, and I feel for you, I still don't know how you live alone and have to deal with all of this, I couldn't do it, but, that's because your a Strong Independent Man, I admire and commend you for this, don't be so hard on yourself , you know that none of us will let you  :-*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:05:25 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »
You can get a trust fund an irrovovacable one, or you can get a qit trust fund with medicaid which they will get everything you put in that qit trust. Personally you can go with the irrovacable trust if you trust the person holding it for you. Of course you know it means you can only pay for emergency things through the trust holder of the irrovacable trust.  just something for you to consider so you can lower your income to not have these high medical bills.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:49:08 am »
Mark
Its hard to have to deal with this kind of stress on top of eveything else. I know you will be fine. Relax.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:56:02 pm »
Honey, it's all really crappy; the ER visit, the copays....all of it.   I consider myself so lucky and blessed to be on Medicare, and on U A B's "Charity Care" program, and the State ADAP program.   The most expensive thing for me personally from my summer ER visit was the ambulance rides, both to the local ER and then the 60+ miles to Birmingham.

The more you work to earn, the more it costs you to survive.   But, by all means, let's keep those Bush tax cuts in place for the wealthiest 2% of folks!  Wouldn't want them to feel any stings....

I had a very lovely rich lady come in to my workplace (a non-profit) today and make her annual $10,000 donation.  She does it every December.   Yes, she is kind and generous (and rich).  Can you imagine needing to give away $10,000 at the end of every year to help you with your tax burden?

Keep your chin up, and keep plugging away at it my friend.   We never thought we'd still be here to bitch about it all, did we?

HUGS,  Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Hoover

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »
The costs of the health care in the US have gone insane!
We have been In the states for over month helping a friend with cancer treatments and day to day tasks.
The cost he paid for a night in the hospital, for nothing major, was 20K!
If we were to have an emergency, it would be cheaper to hire a private jet and fly home for treatment.
How do people survive? Is socialized medicine so bad?

Hoover
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:36:12 pm »
Hoover,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hope that your stay in the U.S. is not too horrible. Also, though many will appreciate the sentiments you've expressed, I must point out that you've posted them in a forum devoted to long term survivors. As your stats indicate that you are not a LTS, you aren't allowed to post in this forum. Please read the rules about posting in each given forum and abide by the rules.

Thanks,
David

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 08:52:52 am »
GGGrrrrr
There is  much to admire about the US,, the provision off health care sadly not one.
What I do not understand is how do supposedly patriotic people not want there country to be strong and healthy?
How can they bare the fact that Cuba has a fantastic health system let alone UK  ( and if you are seriously ill then UK health care is remarkable )
Oh Mark I am sorry you are trapped in this madness regarding health costs.
And I am sorry I can only join in this collective cyber hug, instead off fed exing some $$$$......
take care fellow 57 vintage
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.