Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:10:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 143
Total: 143

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: That Doo Doo That You Do So Well.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
That Doo Doo That You Do So Well.
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »
While staring at my navel today, it occured to me that I recently passed my 10 year anniversary mark since infection.  Not since diagnosis, mind you...that was actually at the end of 2004.  But I am one of those who remembers his seroconversion rather well.  I'm also one of those who went from infection to illness quicker than others, and there's little doubt that my toxic lifestyle fueled that fire.

Anyway...I got to thinking about all the changes in my life over these last several years.  I thought about the horrid med combo I started off with - and how much better the options are today than they were even when I started (and I'm not even a Long-Term Survivor).  I thought about the changes in my personality - mostly how being out of "the scene" from sickness and stuff allowed my older, more reclusive habits to take hold...and about how many of my old "friends" from those days fell away - and how quickly they did so.  I thought about how AIDS, through physical, medical and financial avenues, has managed to strip away so much that I once had.  I mean let's face it:  new car, condo, 401(k), etc...all of that: gone.  I've pretty much been living near the bare bones for several years now - except for my gut, which has been going in the opposite direction from "bare bones" for a few years now.

But you know what?  When I really look at it, my happiness level is the same - actually greater - now than it was then.  So much of the trappings of my former days were completely unnecessary, and keeping up with it all was fairly exhausting.  My life has gotten pared down to the core, but what is at the core is still pretty damn good.  Do I credit HIV with that?  Not a chance.  It's about squeezing every last bit of pulp from the lemons you can. 

I have friends, family and a dog that loves me.  I have a roof over my head and food to eat.  I've had many precious memories in this last decade that I wouldn't trade for anything.  I laugh daily.  I cry sometimes when I think back on some of these memories and the ghosts that often inhabit them.  Has living with HIV, even in this day and age, been a struggle?  Yes, every day.  Has it been worth it?  Absolutely.  Without question.

When you get right down to it, there are lots of things about my former free-wheeling days that I miss, lots of them physical, but time marches on for all of us, HIV or not.  And yes, there were choices I made that were questionable, but I have no time or place for regrets.  I've done the best that I've known how to do, and that's all that I can do.  And even though I might like to have a slimmer tummy or more of a tush like I used to, I'm ultimately proud to have survived to shuffle along with these imperfections - and grateful that I've been afforded the opportunity to do so, ever mindful of those I've known who no longer do.

If I'm going to be completely honest, I do long for one thing, though:  dependable bowel movements.  I haven't been able to truly, confidently trust a fart in years.

So yeah.

(This thread started out as something completely else, but whatever.  From diarrhea of the rump to diarrhea of the mouth.)

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: That Doo Doo That You Do So Well.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »
Tim,

I am so glad you are still here.  And that the glass of lemonade you've made from life's lemon tree is sweet as well as sour.  Looking back now, could you ever have imagined all of what your life experience has turned out to be so far?  I know I couldn't.

Hugs,

Henry

P.S.  I hope some day you can trust your farts again. :)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »
I have friends, family and a dog that loves me.  I have a roof over my head and food to eat.
those are the BEST things in life  ;)
Glad to hear how you've made it through the last decade and here's to getting through another 3, 4, or 5 of those ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:15 pm »
I hope some day you can trust your farts again. :)

That's my hope for us all, Henry.  That's my hope for us all.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:12:46 pm »
While staring at my navel today, it occured to me that I recently passed my 10 year anniversary mark since infection.  Not since diagnosis, mind you...that was actually at the end of 2004.  But I am one of those who remembers his seroconversion rather well.  I'm also one of those who went from infection to illness quicker than others, and there's little doubt that my toxic lifestyle fueled that fire.

Anyway...I got to thinking about all the changes in my life over these last several years.  I thought about the horrid med combo I started off with - and how much better the options are today than they were even when I started (and I'm not even a Long-Term Survivor).  I thought about the changes in my personality - mostly how being out of "the scene" from sickness and stuff allowed my older, more reclusive habits to take hold...and about how many of my old "friends" from those days fell away - and how quickly they did so.  I thought about how AIDS, through physical, medical and financial avenues, has managed to strip away so much that I once had.  I mean let's face it:  new car, condo, 401(k), etc...all of that: gone.  I've pretty much been living near the bare bones for several years now - except for my gut, which has been going in the opposite direction from "bare bones" for a few years now.

But you know what?  When I really look at it, my happiness level is the same - actually greater - now than it was then.  So much of the trappings of my former days were completely unnecessary, and keeping up with it all was fairly exhausting.  My life has gotten pared down to the core, but what is at the core is still pretty damn good.  Do I credit HIV with that?  Not a chance.  It's about squeezing every last bit of pulp from the lemons you can. 

I have friends, family and a dog that loves me.  I have a roof over my head and food to eat.  I've had many precious memories in this last decade that I wouldn't trade for anything.  I laugh daily.  I cry sometimes when I think back on some of these memories and the ghosts that often inhabit them.  Has living with HIV, even in this day and age, been a struggle?  Yes, every day.  Has it been worth it?  Absolutely.  Without question.

When you get right down to it, there are lots of things about my former free-wheeling days that I miss, lots of them physical, but time marches on for all of us, HIV or not.  And yes, there were choices I made that were questionable, but I have no time or place for regrets.  I've done the best that I've known how to do, and that's all that I can do.  And even though I might like to have a slimmer tummy or more of a tush like I used to, I'm ultimately proud to have survived to shuffle along with these imperfections - and grateful that I've been afforded the opportunity to do so, ever mindful of those I've known who no longer do.

If I'm going to be completely honest, I do long for one thing, though:  dependable bowel movements.  I haven't been able to truly, confidently trust a fart in years.

So yeah.

(This thread started out as something completely else, but whatever.  From diarrhea of the rump to diarrhea of the mouth.)

All well said. Thanks for sharing, I see alot of myself in your words.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:37:40 am »
That's a lot of introspection and I appreciate you posting it.  I so relate to the belly thing too.  I'm convinced there are no options left to get rid of mine.  I weigh the same as I did when I graduated from HS, but all the fat from my nice ass transfered to my gut.  ;D  I'd rather have my beautiful locks back though.  It was God's punishment for being so vain about it.  It took me an hour each morning to get it perfect as I always wore it to show off my beautiful blonde streak.

Now I can be ready to go anywhere in less than 10 minutes.

Thanks again and wishing you the best.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:50 am »
Thunter, Thank you for posting.  As a newly diagnosed +, this kind of perspective helps me. 

Also, as I have read, learned, and thought about where I am relative to treatment and understanding of this disease it has struck me that I am benefiting from all of those that have had this before me and I am grateful.

May your lemons be sweet and healthy,

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline phost86

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »
Thanks for posting that:)

Offline Pozitively Moving Forward

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »
Wanted to say thank you for posting.  I am newly diagnosed and have been on meds for only a few months, I see these changes beginning in myself and my life.  It's interesting and comforting in a weird way how the effects are so similar amongst each of us.  All the way down to trusting a fart.....onward and upward
1/11/12 Test Positive HIV CD4 - 434 VL - 58K
2/8/12  CD4 316 VL- 62K (15%)
4/24/12 CD4 - 333 VL-33K (22.3%) 
5/8/12   CD4 - 419 VL - 124  (23.1%)
5/22/12 CD4 - 456 VL - 30  (24.5%)
6/19/12 CD4 - 593 VL - >20 (26.1%)
7/17/12 CD4 - 463 VL - >20 (28.1%)
8/14/12 CD4 - 476 VL - >20 (32.2%)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:17 pm »
I guess I can thank da aids that I've been able to share bit of your wit and wisdom over the past years. You're aces, but damn it, if you can't trust a fart, who can you trust?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 08:46:00 pm »
 ::) I'm glad my rectum isn't so worn out That I cant hold a poo , you people need a retread .  ::) .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 02:25:01 pm »
Good thoughtful post Thunter.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 02:59:08 pm »
Big HUGS Tim......love you.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Rockin

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 09:28:48 pm »
Tim Im a noob poz but your thread brought tears to my eyes. Such positive thinking and well, as we get old, it's only natural that we give up some habits. I mean...no judgement here but I don't picture myself as being a 50 year old going to huge circuit parties and making out in bathrooms....do we really need this?

There are SO many things to be done in this world...unfortunately, most times, "gay culture" tell us that we need to go to clubs, get high on steroids and fuck all the time. But are those guys happy? Really?

You seem like you are happy with your life. Thats all that matters. Sure, we all miss some things from our 20-something years but that happens to everybody. Enjoy what you have and carpe diem.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.