Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 09:01:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 153
Total: 154

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: 6 month test  (Read 7807 times)

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
6 month test
« on: June 06, 2007, 01:42:23 pm »
  Iwanted to know if my fear of being infected with HIV are warranted. On Jan. 7 2007 i was in Douala, Cameroon which is in Africa. I was drinking a little and stupidly went  to a prostitute which I normally would not do. We had protectedvaginal intercourse for about 5-10 minutes. She had streched the condom a little but it had no visible holes in it.   During that time I realized that the condom was not lubricated. I felt the condom which I assume had the lady vaginal fluids on it and with the same hand I stupidly licked that hand to put saliva and lubricate the condom. I did not ejaculate. Afterwords I washed my penis with water but i think i rubbed it with the same hand i licked. Right after i was done i was scared out of my mind that i had HIV. On thursday Jan 18. 2007 I developed a diahrrea. I was hoping it was from something i ate. 2 weeks to the day I went to the prostitute, I got a fever for about 12 hours. I was going crazy because i was hoping not to get a fever. I read that diarrhea can cause fever but it never has happened to me before. The same day i was leaving to go back to America. Then while in the plane I felt the feeling like I was cathching a cold. It is the same feeling I always get when I get a cold. However i never had a fever preceding it. I kept feeling my lymph nodes to see if they were swollen and I think they were. Those were the only symptoms felt. I had the sore throat for two days. And the fever for about 12 hours. I wanted to know if i could have been infected with the hand i licked and got HIV from my mouth. I am very scared and thats all i think about. I know Africans have the highest HIV infected rate. i took a Oraquick and ELISA test which cam out negative at 3 months April 9.Do my symptoms sound like HIV-2? Does Ora Quick and ELISA detect HIV-2? Does anyone know that stats of people who test HIV positive at six months after testing negative at 3 months? Also about four or five days before Jan 7 i got sick because i drank bad water.  Would that have messed up my immune system causing mye not to create antibodies by 13 weeks?
Thank you

Offline RapidRod

Re: 6 month test
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:51:50 pm »
You had protected sex. You didn't need to test. Read the lessons on transmission. The link can be found in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »
OK, Quinton. The first thing you need to do is to take a nice big slow breath and then let it out slowly. I mean it. Do it right now. And then again.

You're in maximum overdrive of worry and all totally without any foundation in HIV science. As Rod pointed out, you used a condom. That's exactly what you're supposed to do. They provide very effective protection no matter whom you are with or where when you have intercourse.

The condom remained intact. People somehow get the mistaken idea there could be a teensy weensy hole through which they might become infected. Naaaaaaaaaah. When a condom is defective it is not a subtle event. You suddenly find your johnson wearing a fringed hula hoop. That's what happens when it breaks.

Leave your lymph nodes alone. By squeezing, pressing them and otherwise bothering them you can create a problem where none exists. If you are having troubling symptoms that's something to discuss with your doctor.

It was not even necessary to get tested. Your reliable negative result just confirmed that you are still HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Now, you did mention excessive drinking and casual sex. That's a very dangerous combination and something to avoid in the future.

So now you can take another deep breath and get on with your life. This is NOT and HIV situation. Period.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 02:37:09 pm »
so I do't have to worry about a 6 month test?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 03:36:20 pm »
quinton,

No, you do not need a six month test. You are conclusively hiv negative.

For future reference, here's some things you need to know: You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As you are conclusively negative now, you can forgo further testing for at least another year - provided you're actually sexually active in the meantime.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
Orasure testing
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 02:53:05 pm »
Does Orasure oral swab detect HiV-2?  I had a protected exposure in Cameroon, Africa. i tested negative at three months for HIV-1 but now i'm scared that I will test positive for HIV-1/2 at six months.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Orasure testing
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:42 pm »
Do not start a new thread for each of your concerns. Keep all your questions and concerns in your orginal thread.

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 03:48:47 pm »
i don't know how to continue on my old thread but could you answer please?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 04:17:25 pm »
Left hand side of screen under user (You) click show own posts.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:46 pm »
Hi,

I've merged your threads. Keep all of your questions and comments in this same thread.

You don't seem to be listening to anything which has been said to you. You weren't at risk for HIV to begin with. The Orasure is a reliable test. Your negative test result at three months is reliable. It is not necessary for anyone to test beyond that unless intravenous drug use or a collapsing immune system due to cancer treatment or such is involved.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Get on with your life. 

Andy Velez

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 02:13:45 pm »
Have any of the moderators heard of people who test positive after a 3 month negative test when their immune system is fine?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 02:52:43 pm »
It doesn't happen. 13 weeks is definitive in your case.

Brent
(Who has never been to Africa)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline quintonmed

• Standard
Stupid mistake
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
 December 16 i met with a gay guy i met online. I'm a young bi black male in NYC. Sorry for the graphic nature of this question.  We didnt not have anal sex at all. We did frottage. My penis rubbed near his anus but never inside . I performed unprotected oral on him for maybe 10 seconds.  He was being kind of rough. He was rubbing my gums with the tip of his penis. The head of his penis touched the back of my throat. He then ejaculated on my face. some of his ejaculate landed on my lips. I did not have bleeding lips but i had been removing skin from my lips prior to that so it was somewhat open skin. i also had a very minor not really cut but i cant find a better word to describe it. I think a couple drops of semen might have touched it. Also while i had my eyes closed it think some touched my eye. it also got on my facial hair.  I wanted to know how serious my risk was. This person is very promiscuous i have come to find out and i'm operating under the assumption he has HIV. Would i have caught HIV from the semen on my lips. The possible precum that touched the back of my throat.a week later i had weird back pain in my upper back. Some days last week i had loose stool for a couple days but nothing very serious.  Now this monday i caught a cold but im scared it ARS symptoms. i had a sore throat for a couple days and now its just a cough. i dont recall having fever. i also got two small welt like rashes on my neck that itch pretty bad.  does it sound like i have ars?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »
You did not have a risk in any of the situations you describe .

HIV is sexually acquired from unprotected anal and vaginal sex .

Posting Guidelines http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=220.0

Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Please do not post questions that you have about your own concerns in another person's thread. This is called thread hijacking and we do not encourage this practice.

For future reference, here's some things you need to know: You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 07:17:46 am »
Quinton,

You first came here seven years ago - and the same information is still true today, so please re-read your entire thread.

In adults, hiv is transmitted by:

Unprotected anal intercourse.

Unprotected vaginal intercourse.

Sharing drug injecting equipment.

And that's it.

Once again you did not have a risk.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!!!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.