Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:02:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 501
Total: 502

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What? no Bactrim?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
What? no Bactrim?
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:11:27 pm »
as stated in an earlier thread .."feeling great for bad news"    my cd4 was 154  vl 355k   had first appointment with ID this week and DR. only prescribed Tripila. I was quite surprised (and pleased) that there was no mention of a proplactic  <<< no ..I don't know how to spell it, but you know what I mean. I'm not going to second guess the dude,   But. ? do ya'll have any thoughts?   ~jordon

added Friday 1/26 >>>>>>perhaps i should add this. He did not mention Bactrim, but he did say he wants to attack with 3 meds. He wants to attack with Atripla for two weeks and make sure i handle it well. i go back in 2 weeks (Feb 8) and depending on the tolerance, will add a third med...but he did not elaborate as to what that is.
Thank you for responses, i'll call the office monday and leave the question to him, "why no proplyactic?" ... or however you spell it. ~jordons
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 07:02:47 pm by jyngfilm »
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Offline ademas

Re: What? no Bactrim?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:19:24 pm »
I think I would ask the doctor about it.
I had to take it for nearly 3 years--until my CD4's were over 200 for 2 labs in a row.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
I'm quite sure my doctor made me stay on it until I was over 250 or even 275... it was 14 years ago so it's a bit fuzzy but I never dipped below 180 and I was on Bactrim at least 2 years.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:12:25 pm »
Hello Jordan,

When your T-cells fall below 200, you should be on an anti-biotic, such as bactrim.

Talk to you doctor again, and have him write you a prescription for Bactrim :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1022_6888.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:18:24 am »
I had a bad case of PCP last fall and was on Bactrim...then my neutrophils (part of the white blood cell) started falling until they reached zero.  So my ID doc took me off Bactrim and on to Dapsone instead even though I have really poor numbers.  She also had me drop the Valcyte I was taking to prevent CMV issues as both of them affect white blood cells and she felt it was more important to get the WB cells in a good range.

After dropping those meds and taking about 6 daily injections of Neupogen,that makes neutrophiles  (retails for about $750 a dose!!), my count went from zero to 8,000 in a week then leveled off at around 3,500 after I stopped the injections.  She told me that if my WBC counts stay stable for another few weeks I will go back to the Bactrim but since I am not showing any signs of CMV problems I won't have to take the Valcyte.

So I guess the lesson I learned is that there are other things to consider than just the PCP and CMV and other things.  Maybe there are similar reasons why Jordon isn't supposed to be on Bactrim...yet?  Was also wondering if his doctor is expecting his CD4 and VL to improve rapidly on the Atripla to the point where he wouldn't need the Bactrim?

Anyway, never hurts to ask the doctor to be sure...if just for better peace of mind.

Best of luck on the Atripla Jordon - hope it works well for you with minimal or no side effects and that you'll let us know how things go.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 04:36:09 am »
I'd ask the doctor too.

There may be a reason why you're not on Bactrim, but I'd sure as heck want to know why you're not on some kind of prophylaxis.

And please....you're not second guessing the dude.   It's YOUR life, not his.

My motto is.....it's not rocket science, it's just medicine.  ;-)

Take care,
John

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 08:26:54 am »
I agree, ask your doc why no prophylaxis. There may be a good reason. If there is, you need to know it.

It is your life and your health. If Bactrim won't do, there are alternatives like Dapsone.

But I would definitely speak up.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Teresa

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:19:22 am »
Hubby couldn't take Bactrim so they put him on Dapsone. Hes been taking that since May. The Dr told him he would be on it till he had a CD4 of over 200 for 2 months in a row.

Like the others have said I would definitely ask the Dr about it.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:47:04 am »
Started bactrim immediately upon getting first labs back, cd4 ct of 179, now at 264 and dr will not take me off until I go over 300.  Like everyone else says I would definately find out why you're not on something.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00:08 am »
Call the doctor and ask why he did not start a pcp prophylactic. If he cops an attitude because you are questioning him, i would look for another doctor.

You need to be your own advocate. Go into your appointments with a list of questions/ concerns/ print outs of information, what ever you need to make sure all of your questions are answered.

He could have just forgotten. Doctors make mistakes, that is why it is important that we are very vigilant in our own care.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 11:21:38 am »
"He could have just forgotten. Doctors make mistakes, that is why it is important that we are very vigilant in our own care.
"  quote Christine
I just turned to my partner and asked....why do you still take Bactrim if your TCell count went over 400?  He said:  he has been taking Bactrim since 1995. ( He has been on AIDSMEDS since 1991) Before that he was allergic to Bactrim so he had been taking something else. He was DESENSITIZED to Bactrim so that he could go on it.  He said the other stuff made his pee red.
Anyway, the answer as to why he is STLL taking Bactrim is this:  he went off Bactrim a few years ago and started developing sinus infections every few months. One of those sinus infections landed him in the hospital with Pneumonia ( not PCP ).  So looks like he will always be on Bactrim.
If you're new to drugs and your immune system is in good shape it sounds to me like one has options.  If your Cd4's are under 200...its not a question....get back with your doctor right away.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:23:47 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.