Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:05:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 305
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Positive Jan 2013  (Read 4589 times)

Offline marcmoral16

Tested Positive Jan 2013
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
Hey All,

I tested positive Jan 16th. The way I was told was rather irresponsible, my doctor called me over the phone and told me while I was at work. I was shocked that she did that I have since switched to a better doc. Me and my partner are positive and both on Stribild. I was previously on Complera which gave me the worst gastrointestinal issues. My partner was on Atripla which gave him bad dreams and a burning stomach. Both very happy with our choice.

We've come to terms with what has happened and living life as usual. We haven't told anyone and kept it to ourselves. Sometimes we need people to talk to in our same situation.

Life has been different but at the end of the day we look the same in the mirror.
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Tested Positive Jan 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum marcmoral16 . I'm glad you found us . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:53:45 pm »
Welcome to the forums, although we always say we wish you didn't have to be here.  News over the phone is a tad unusual.  Docs usually want to do that in person.  I suppose if someone's labs were very dire, I could see doing it over the phone.  I mean, if the doc needed you to go immediately to the hospital, due to some serious O.I.  Did she even ask whether you were someplace private, where coworkers wouldn't hear?  And, some companies record all calls.  Not to mention most would be very upset and would need to leave work.  Coworkers would be curious what was wrong-- whether a family member died.  It would cause someone to come up with a lie.  And, many cannot just leave work, or they would be disciplined. 

In any event, what's done is done.  I'm glad you have a doc you are comfortable with, and that you and your partner are doing well.  I haven't told family and friends either.  Well, my brother and his partner know, because a nurse outed my status.  I have my partner for support, and for now, that is good enough. 

Keep on touch.

Ted

Offline marcmoral16

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:52 am »
The sad part is my original doctor didn't ask any questions as to if I was alone or willing to hear news over the phone. I had to lie to coworkers to leave I was so upset, but my manager wouldn't let me leave so I had to tell her. I left in tears and when I came back all the questions. I was so angry with my doctor more so then my diagnosis. What if I was in the middle of the street and stopped and never moved.

No O.I at all ever.

But I digress and I've accepted what happened has happened.
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:31:44 am »
First, welcome to the forums.  I'm not sure of current protocols for revealing tests results for HIV, but I certainly wouldn't want to find out in this manner.  Back in the old days, we were told by health department grief counselors as we were being given death sentences. 

Perhaps doctors now a days view HIV as manageable and therefore see it as no big deal?  Not sure, but it's still not a way that I'd want to find out. 

It's great that you and your partner can be supportive for each other.  I couldn't have imagined being alone after my diagnosis, dealing with it by myself.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline JungleJungle

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »
The way I was told was rather irresponsible, my doctor called me over the phone and told me while I was at work. I was shocked that she did that I have since switched to a better doc.

It was not only irresponsible, but also unethical ! Good to hear that you switched to a better doc...Good Luck!
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 11:50:09 am »
Hi,

Sorry to hear of how you found out.  I also found out I was positive in Jan almost the same day as you.  My partner also tested positive a week later.  We have told a select few about our status.  It turns out we have two different strains.  I'm on Stirbild and my partner is on Complera. (I also started with Complera but had a resistance) It sound like we are in a very similar situation and I wish I sometimes had people to talk to that our in the same situation.    Fell free to hit me up if you ever want to chat...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:52:17 am by aaware72 »
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.