Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 07:42:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 99
Total: 100

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hillary Clinton's assassination Comment....  (Read 4803 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline emeraldize

Re: Hillary Clinton's assassination Comment....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:39:04 am »
I watched the footage on this morning's news. And watched her apology in a grocery store a good portion of which had her looking at the floor.

Call me old and cynical, but I think it was intentional, coached, and unconscionable. And, it was a multi-pronger way to harken back to hubby's success despite what now appears to be a protracted slogging event for her; bring up the Kennedy (pro-Obama) name; and, worst of all, knowing that death threats have come Obama's way---the recalling of a presidential candidate's assassination (which naturally leads one to recall JFK's fate) For those who weren't old enough to connect with either event it simply brings up the concept of offing people who don't think the way you do.

One of the newscasters said something so appropriate. To paraphrase... For someone who's been asserting in her campaign that she's more experienced than Obama, she's made more than her fair share of gaffes.

This one, in my opinion, takes the cake, shows her true colors and ends the race.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 10:26:54 am »
It was Hillary Clinton's true character in a nutshell is what it was.

This is the lashing that, like Olbermann suggested, I have sort of been waiting for her to receive on several occasions now...but then the Clintons are legendary for their ability to verbally dance the razor's edge and get passes for this kind of thing over and over again.  I don't believe for a second that any such comment is a slip on her part.  She and her husband have lawyer's lips - they know precisely how to frame every syllable just so.  (What is that definition of "is" again?)

In my opinion, this smacks of such embarassing desperation on her part - and it should serve as the last nail in her coffin.  In some ways I find it welcome that she did this...it serves as a character history review and preview of what to expect from a future term all encapsulated in one classless package.  It is the once and for all "go to" moment to prove that there is no bar too low, no statement too base, no person or cause that will not be readily sacrificed for the Clintons in their own self-serving aims. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:40 am »
This could all end today if the super delegates would commit one way or another. Actually, the delegates that have not committed are the ones that continue to force a primary that has been won by Obama. He's 56 delegates shy of winning, of offering a sure to come magnanimous gesture to Hillary and her supporters, and a lickin' to McCain.

Don't be fooled by the sideshow.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 11:29:42 am »
I really don't think it was meant as anything nefarious and accept her apology.  What I don't except, however, is that the apology was only directed at the Kennedys -- the Obama family was not mentioned at all.  To me, THAT is what is outrageous.

Oh, and for all of the Clinton's bogus political charges of "elitism" it's a bit "elite" to only apologize to the Hyannis "compound" original-uber-elite family.

The funny thing is that this same day in the morning CNN was ***BREAKING*** news that the two campaigns were having secret negotiations about Hillary being VP.  If true (which I kind of doubted anyway), assuredly they've dissolved any notion of further meetings on that subject.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
She could have stopped with mention of her husband's campaign duration to make her point. And, didn't.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:56:04 am »
She could have stopped with mention of her husband's campaign duration to make her point. And, didn't.

Precisely...and that's what does indeed make it nefarious.  Don't try to sell me that Hillary doesn't calculate every syllable that drips off her lips.  Even her "apology" is meaured just so.  Both she and her husband are masters at knowing how to "say without saying". 

I stand by my previous assessment.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00:36 pm »
I just don't see what someone has to GAIN from making such a moronic statement, so that's why I don't find some intentional motive to it.  What's the political motivation here?  What did she expect to gain from the comment?  Bad press?  Sounds like a brilliant game plan.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »
Oh come on now -- while Hillary clearly could have chosen her words better - it was a gaffe that did not need to happen but, I don't know how anyone can make this into something "bad about Obama".  She was pointing out the primaries have run into June in the past - however inelegantly.  I think it is a gigantic leap to turn this comment into some sort of advocacy for "offing people who don't think the way you do".
Certainly she DID owe an apology to the Kennedy family -- I don't see why Obama's family needed an apology.  The problem here is that the media, in our 24 hr news world, needs to stir things up to increase their ratings.  We need to get back to the days when news reporters reported the news and let people make their own opinions -- I could give a rat's ass what Olbermann thinks about this.  Report the damn news and stop making it.
Personally, I think it is time for Hillary to bow out -- she isn't going to win.  Let Obama start the general election campaign.
I do have to mention a pet peeve of mine before I close -- it seems that it is very difficult for people to criticize Hillary without bring up all of Bill's past issues.  Now, his gaffe's in this campaign are fair game, but bring up the whole Lewinsky fiasco when talking about Hillary's campaign shows that sexism DID, in fact, play a role in this campaign.  People just can't seem to believe that she could be President without Bill's constant assistance.

Mike

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 01:33:10 pm »
Imagine for the past 18 months everything you said was recorded and then analyzed by scores of political commentators, news reporters and rivals, do you honestly think you would not flub up occassionally.  Not only Hillary, but all these candidates need to be cut a little slack every now and then.  I blame alot of these type of media outrages on our 24 hour news cycle.  They are constantly looking for news reports and grasp at any straw to get them.  I think the concept of what she said is true.  The primary campaigns of 68 and 92 both went into June, so why is it so important for this one to end now.  If we don't want drawn out primary elections then have a national primary day or 4-5 regional primaries over the course of 12 weeks.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 01:44:15 pm »

Certainly she DID owe an apology to the Kennedy family -- I don't see why Obama's family needed an apology. 

Because it's a huge no-no to ever reference the word "assassination" and "presidential candidate"?  Much less a black one that had to get Secret Service protection 8 months earlier than any other candidate every has?  Of course, she's not going to apologize to him because that would necessitate saying the words "Kennedy" and "Obama" in the same sentence.

If this were you and I talking the FBI would be knocking on our doors.

And your comment about Bill and his assistance being sexist is pure BS.  If she's so independent from Bill WHY IS HE CAMPAIGNING FOR HER so actively?  And no, he's not "just any other spouse" so don't even attempt an in-equivalent comparison with Michelle Obama -- I'm cutting that one off at the pass.

At any rate nice to see you finally realize that there's not a chance in hell that Hillary can win this -- anyone could have looked at the remaining scenarios after the VA/MD primaries and tell that it was impossible.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »
I could give a rat's ass what Olbermann thinks about this.  Report the damn news and stop making it.

I do have to mention a pet peeve of mine before I close -- it seems that it is very difficult for people to criticize Hillary without bring up all of Bill's past issues.  Now, his gaffe's in this campaign are fair game, but bring up the whole Lewinsky fiasco when talking about Hillary's campaign shows that sexism DID, in fact, play a role in this campaign.  People just can't seem to believe that she could be President without Bill's constant assistance.

What a bunch of horse shit.  I came to my own conclusions about Hillary without Olbermann's prompting.  He just eloquenly stated what I feel about the woman.  

Especially horse shitty is this bit about "sexism indeed playing a role in this campaign".  What a crock.  My comments above in reference to Bill had nothing to do with Lewinsky, but rather about the ability BOTH possess to split apart whatever they say right down to the word.  It highlights how conspicuously convenient their gaffes always are.  They know precisely when and how to be "inelegant".

And Hillary has been cut more than a little slack, thank you very much.

And the "gain" is the same as it always is.  If she can successfully "oops!  my bad!"  her way out of this one like she usually does, she gets to plant a little seed by once again "saying without really saying".  The same way she did in her comments about hard working white americans, for example.  Every little seed about race, about the potential instability about casting your vote for a candidate who might have a greater chance of being assassinated in office, etc.  It's playing to the worst traits and fears in people in the most slippery of fashion.  
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 02:14:03 pm »
And your comment about Bill and his assistance being sexist is pure BS.  If she's so independent from Bill WHY IS HE CAMPAIGNING FOR HER so actively?  And no, he's not "just any other spouse" so don't even attempt an in-equivalent comparison with Michelle Obama -- I'm cutting that one off at the pass.

Actually, I DID say that anything he said/does while campaigning is fair game -- what I was complaining about is that people bring up things that went on during his presidency and associate it with Hillary's character.  The fact that he is an ex-President does make him different, but what happened in his presidency (of his doing) has nothing to do with how Hillary might be as President.  If one thinks that she would be like him because she's married to him -- then Michelle would be fair game, but I'll leave her alone -- because, although she is campaigning too and has had her "moments", she is not running for President.

At any rate nice to see you finally realize that there's not a chance in hell that Hillary can win this -- anyone could have looked at the remaining scenarios after the VA/MD primaries and tell that it was impossible.

I've been saying for some time now that her chance was gone -- not all the way back to the VA/MD primaries, but certainly since the PA one.

Mike

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 04:46:01 pm »
And the "gain" is the same as it always is.  If she can successfully "oops!  my bad!"  her way out of this one like she usually does, she gets to plant a little seed by once again "saying without really saying".  The same way she did in her comments about hard working white americans, for example.  Every little seed about race, about the potential instability about casting your vote for a candidate who might have a greater chance of being assassinated in office, etc.  It's playing to the worst traits and fears in people in the most slippery of fashion.  thunter

or, inspiring someone who's got serious racist problems and/or mental illness (hmm, are they actually synonymous?) to get the gun and try to do it BEFORE he ever makes it to office. That's how I took it. It infuriated me! That would seal it up for her and then just as likely ensure we'd get McCain. That's what I meant in the aforementioned "offing" comment. That's how I took it--and in no other way. And I must be really far afield today because I see no reason she has to apologize to the Kennedy family for referring to a moment in history. It's true, Bobby was assassinated. The Kennedy's know that, they're tough and smart enough to have NOT endorsed her. But in what context she used this particular factoid---that's what is indicative of frighteningly poor judgment. It might have been the result of a group think chat on a plane---nevertheless, she said it.

To call it planting seeds is exactly what's going on. Other seeds? Let's try to make the American public envision that I've actually been in danger at an international level. The oopsie that ended up in revealing she was never running from a plane under fire anywhere ever! You would never forget that such a thing occurred--better yet though, no one in their right mind would make such a thing up unintentionally! And, wtf, with all of the archival media material that can prove within minutes whether or not something so documentable happened. That would have been plastered ALL over the news. Gunfire, in the few instances white women are exposed to it, unless repeatedly in a firing range, leaves a mark in the memory. That kind of adrenaline rush is like no other.

Obama continues to impress even with his response to this planned gaffe. He's got the thoughtful diplomacy needed to effectively lead the country and to communicate, negotiate, and resolve issues with other countries.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:20:48 pm by emeraldize »

Offline randym431

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 10:35:50 am »
Give her a break.
She simply meant you never know what will happen i.e. dropping out BEFORE
the process is done.

Everyone wants her to get out since iOwa, that is true. And she should.
But, she was just covering an extreme range from her husband to JFK.
From example A to Z.

Like and as ALWAYS the press is bored and making this into something to get ratings. Sell papers.

This is nothing NOTHING compared to Huckabee's NRA comment.
Now THAT was something the press just smoothed over...
Huchabee's slander was not only a suggestion of violence, it was a racial
attack on blacks. Huckabee should not be allowed to explain his comment away,
sugar coat it, or get away with it. It should have ENDED his political career.

The fact it did not and the fact the press smoothed over Huckabee, just confirmed the press anti-women stance.
Just another press BS attack on a woman running for office.

PS. Explain why Hillary's comment is so awful and should end her campaign, vs Huckabee's comment suggestion of KKK,
blacks and voilence was candy coated by the press???

Huckabee's comment shoud have ENDED his political career for good!!!!

Huckabee is said to be on the VERY short list as VP's for McCain.
Huckabee certainally could bring the south online and the GW Bush fundies online
and give Obama a run for his money in many states not in play otherwise.
Huckabee is still very much a player. And after his NRA comment, he should be
held to the same fire as Hillary, whose JKF comment is not nearly comparable
to Huckabee's 1950's minded violence against a black men suggestion.

The media Sunday talk shows are going to be all Hillary and JFK this weekend.
I think it would be well worth the fillup @ $4 a gal to get away this Holiday weekend...
Again, Tim Russert and his talking heads will try to mold the presidential race,
making something out of nothing while ignoring the like of Huckabee's.

The media goes on and on about Hillary. Nothing further on Huckabee.
You be the judge...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:27 am »
PS. Explain why Hillary's comment is so awful and should end her campaign

To explain why I've aired my beliefs here about Hillary's campaign, capacity and comment is because this particular thread is about her assassination comment.

I don't believe with her, as Tim put it so well, "lawyer's lips" that there was anything matter-of-fact, or simple about what she said. It was calculated.

I don't disagree with you at all that Huckabee's comment was equally horrible, seed-planting, immature, and racist.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:14:18 pm »
I watched the video and it sounds like an unfortunate slip up.  As low of an opinion as I have of the Clintons, I don't quite think they are that bad as to wish to win by assassination.  But all these claims of her being the more experienced candidate and the only one who can beat McCain in the Fall, seem to be getting less credible by the day.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:04 pm »

This is nothing NOTHING compared to Huckabee's NRA comment.
Now THAT was something the press just smoothed over...

So lets put that comment out there also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8zBYx3RigI&feature=related

And MSNBC commentary :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn9lTpZyBxk&feature=related

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.