Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:12:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 209
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First days on meds  (Read 3806 times)

Offline AverageJoe

First days on meds
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:52:36 am »
Hi everyone,

Well I started HIV  treatment 4 days ago (once a day regime of Prezista/Norvir/Truvada).

So far not too bad. A little nausea perhaps (maybe anxiety) but not troublesome.
The only other side effect  I seem to be experiencing so far is lower back ache.  Is this the medicines taxing my kidneys ?

How many doses of this regime are we talking about roughly before it reaches the maximum therapeutic levels.  Or am I now fully loaded so to speak?

Anyways it was a difficult decision to start as my numbers have always been good.  I hope I have done the right thing.

Thanks for your support guys, wishing you all well.

James

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: First days on meds
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:09 am »
1) while the nausea could be from anxiety, the viread in Truvada can also cause it. I get it sometimes, but not often, and it's not severe -- I have been on viread and/or Truvada for over a decade.

2) back pain can happen with kidney infection, but you also probably be noticing changes in your urine and/or running a slight temperature, upset stomach; not to mention I can't fathom renal failure beginning after four days on HIV medication. Of course, the only way to tell is to go to your doctor and piss in a cup. My advice is to ride this out for a bit and see how you feel, like you said you're anxious about beginning treatment which is natural.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:21 am »
I hope I have done the right thing.
think of it this way, before meds were available a LOT of people died.
Clearly taking meds is the better way to go ;)

hang in there! I often counsel people that you have to get through 2-6 wks of adjusting to a med. The med levels are rising in your system and the HIV virus is dying off - that's a lot happening, so some pain, some nausea could be possible.

Just remember that for all the tales you hear of problems, the stats listed in the package insert of all medications show that side effects happen to a small <10% (often <3%) amount of patients. For hundreds and thousands of people, after some initial adjustments, there are no further issues (other than a lowered viral load and better health!) for most people.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:21:22 am »
I am almost 4 weeks in (atripla)and every "side effect"has more or less disappeared. I felt a bit lousy the first 2 1/2 weeks but I do think that was the virus getting its ass kicked! Call the doc if you are concerned about any side effect, try not to scare yourself like I did the first night ..haha..I worked myself into a full anxiety attack...Life feels almost back to normal now on the end of my 4th week...oh, and I try not to read too much...I believe I will be in the 99% of those with no problems other the regular life problems!  Take care,  Madison

Offline Chicago2013

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:30:31 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and was told I was HIV positive on Dec 20, 2013. I feel very lucky to have found this forum. Everyone is extremely supportive and right now, I don't think there is one other place where I can be so open and honest with my feelings. So thank you to everyone.

I am on day 2 of the same combination as AverageJoe. I was feeling incredibly anxious yesterday and I felt nauseous as well which I know the former can spur the latter. I then vomited at night from how upset my stomach was. I suppose this is just my body adjusting to the meds but I will be honest to say I'm quite scared about the side effects. I just want to feel 100% again.

Has anyone else experienced vomiting? Any words of encouragement that the side effects do subside? My doctor said 2-3 weeks. I'm just scared of the unknown right now  :(

Offline AverageJoe

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »
Hi chicago2013,

Well I've been a few weeks on this combo now and I must say I no longer seem to have any discernable side effects.  Try not to be too anxious, it was a big step for me to start taking meds, but although it's early days things are going ok so far.

I take them in the morning with food and luckily don't seem to experience any nausea or GI issues.  My VL is already down to 300.

I wish you all the best and hope things settle down for you. 

This forum really is a fantastic support and there are lots  of very knowledgable people (and some great characters) who can give good advice. 

James

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:39 am »
Hi Chicago, welcome to the forums.

Are you eating something when you take your Prezista/Norvir/Truvada? You should be. Not only does this combo need some food in your stomach in order to be properly absorbed, but it should also stop you feeling nauseous.

I'm on the same combo and the odd time when I don't eat at all or eat too little, I feel a bit queasy. Try eating something like a couple pieces of toast and peanut butter or something equally as bland while you adjust to the meds. You don't have to eat a huge meal, but you do need to eat something.

You might find that you have a bit of diarrhea (from the Norvir usually) in the first week or so, but this should settle down quickly. The nausea should settle down too.

Hang in there, you're going to be ok.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Chicago2013

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 12:20:49 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for your words, James and Ann. I really appreciate it. James, that's great to hear your VL went down that much already! And Ann, taking the meds with food is a definite yes. I thought to give an update to help encourage others as the beginning can be rough.

Day 2 was the worst of it with 4 hours of intermittent vomiting. BUT I am happy to say 48 hours after that, I was feeling much better and after a few days, I was great. 9 days after I started the treatment, I went to the gym to walk on the treadmill. Okay, so I'm not at the point of training for a marathon but in all of this, what's important to remember is whatever we do, whichever thoughts we choose to have, whatever decisions we make, no matter how big or small, as long as we're moving towards a healthier place/mindset/lifestyle, we are doing just fine. It is not the size of the step, but the direction.

It does take the body some time to adjust but it is resilient. It helps to remember we are built to survive. The body strives to find a way to overcome, to adapt, to carry on.

To all those who are going through any side effects, have faith that you will pull through.

xx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.