Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 518
Total: 519

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva/Truvada/Reyataz Combo  (Read 5765 times)

Offline cmhtop

Sustiva/Truvada/Reyataz Combo
« on: July 28, 2006, 08:03:37 am »
Is anyone or has anyone ever been on this combo? Any advice you can give on what to expect is appreciated. Was on Epivir and Zerit, like 3 years ago. LOVED it, but.....the peripheral neuropathy in my feet/legs was unbearable. Doc prescribed Remeron, but it only made me sleep all the time. I DO NOT recommend Remeron!!!!! Doc switched meds to Trizivir, but that made me very ill.  Have not taken meds for 2 years - my choice. Now my Tcell count is 148, Viral Load is  552,000. I know, it wasn't smart to stop meds, but......learned that the hard way when I got Candida, and lost 25 pounds. From what I've read on here about Sustiva, it kinda scares me to start it. Should  be getting my first shipment of the meds today or next week, so was just wondering what I can expect as far as interactions/ side effects.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Sustiva/Truvada/Reyataz Combo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:52:48 am »
Hello CMH

This is a slightly unusual but very strong combo containing two nukes (Truvada, tenofovir and FTC in on pill), a non-nuke (Sustiva) and a PI (Reyatz).  I imagine that the reasons your doc has chosen it are:

1) To overcome some nuke resistance

2) Strength: your viral load is fairly high.

Important point no 1: the tenofovir in Truvada and Sustiva lower the blood levels of Reyataz. The 300 mg dose of Reyataz with a 100 mg norvir booster should be used. You need to go back to you doc on this.  The 400mg unboosted dosage is not recommended in this situation.

Important point no 2: although your viral load is high, if you have no serious nuke resistance, then 2 nukes + either Sustiva or (boosted) Reyataz may well be sufficient to knock it down to undetectable - or it is likely that at some point in the future you can think about dropping either Sustiva or Reyataz.  It would be a very reasonable approach to bomb the virus with the Sustiva/Reyataz (+ booster!) combo to begin with and think about dropping one of the drugs later.

Important point no 3: for best effect take (boosted!) Reyataz with food.  It increases the level of drug in the body. Food also seems to reduce the common Truvada side-effect of (sometimes extreme) wind.  Sustiva, though, seems better side-effects wise on an empty stomach (2hrs after food).  Most people take it at night but this is not a must.  This means splitting the drugs into one lot with food (brekkie/lunch/dinner) and other (Sustiva) at night. However, you can just chuck em down in one go, this will work.

Sustiva side effects: the main short-term side-effect of Sustiva are disturbed sleep, vivid dreams and changes to sense of balance and/or mood.  These tend to fade after a few weeks.  For more info on Sustiva see Tips & Tricks on Taking Sustiva + Sustiva side effects: mood alteration, anxiety, dizziness, sleep disturbance.

Other side effects: Reyataz tends to make you a little yellow-looking to start but it passes. There is a fair chance of a rash on starting this combo (from Reyataz or Sustiva).

If, on considering this, you decide you are not happy with your combo, then one based on the NNRTI Viramune (no head effects like Sustiva) + a PI, or just the grand-daddy strong PI Kaletra alone, may be viable alternatives to Sustiva + Reyataz. (still need to include some nukes though).

- matt

Now playing: Whatsername, Green Day
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:05:50 am by iana5252 »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Sustiva/Truvada/Reyataz Combo
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:43:39 pm »
I started on Sustiva/Truvada in Dec '05 (my first meds).  Had a great initial response, but unable to get all the way to undetectable.  Genotype showed a fair amount of nuke resistance, so we added boosted Reyataz the beginning of June to (hopefully) knock it down.  I just had my labs drawn yesterday -- I go back on 8/9 for the results.  My doc said we could consider dropping something once I get to undetectable -- but I'm guessing that if I finally get there, I am NOT going to want to change anything up.
As for side effects -- not much to speak of -- Sustiva dreams that slowly faded -- nothing terrifying -- just weird ones.  I've been lucky with the Reyataz/Norvir too -- nothing of note there either -- I haven't turned yellow yet and the GI issues haven't appeared, but I do take fiber supplements morning and night.  I am currently taking all of my meds together a little before bedtime, with my Reyataz snack (usually a cereal bar and crackers with either peanut butter or cheese).  However, I had tested out the food with Sustiva thing a few months ago -- all it did was make it easier to go to sleep.  I know some folks have trouble with the Sustiva effects -- so, I wouldn't recommend trying to take everything at the same time if you are just starting on the Sustiva.
Anyhow -- I will let you know if I finally hit the "magical" undetectable VL this time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.