Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:33:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 634
Total: 634

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: newbie diagnosis and emotionally disconnected  (Read 7401 times)

Offline lushy

newbie diagnosis and emotionally disconnected
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:54:37 am »
Thanks for this site- what a find!

I have just been diagnosed- 27th April 2010- about a month ago and will soon start some meds. I have been very nonchalant about it all- very matter of fact and very focussed about doing what needs to be done so I can get on with it.
The trouble is I am generally an emotional sort of person- never had trouble expressing and right now I think I am either in denial or denying my feelings or something as I have hardly shed a tear or felt too down- and that is not like me. I think I have emotionally disconnected myself from it all....and I guess I will hit a wall at some point so I can push through it but am interested to know if anyone esle experienced similar sort of reactions soon after being diagnosed?
I am seeking some professional help so i can harness this before it gets ugly but would appreciate anything anyone has to offer.  I shoudld say my family wont know- they cant handle me being gay so this would be too much but i have four close friends who have been supportive to date so all good there.
Any comments thought and experiences are welcome.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: newbie diagnosis and emotionally disconnected
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:03:34 am »

I have just been diagnosed- 27th April 2010- about a month ago and will soon start some meds. I have been very nonchalant about it all- very matter of fact and very focussed about doing what needs to be done so I can get on with it.
The trouble is I am generally an emotional sort of person- never had trouble expressing and right now I think I am either in denial or denying my feelings or something as I have hardly shed a tear or felt too down- and that is not like me. I think I have emotionally disconnected myself from it all....and I guess I will hit a wall at some point so I can push through it but am interested to know if anyone esle experienced similar sort of reactions soon after being diagnosed?
I am seeking some professional help so i can harness this before it gets ugly but would appreciate anything anyone has to offer.  I shoudld say my family wont know- they cant handle me being gay so this would be too much but i have four close friends who have been supportive to date so all good there.

I think you are smart to seek professional help.  I've actually talked about this in another thread where after diagnosis all of us mourn for a while.  Your life has changed for the long term and while this is an extra burden to bear it is tolerable.  With HAART HIV is not the same disease it was and this should bring you a lot of comfort.  I personally cried a handful of times after I found out and then quickly picked myself up by the boot straps and moved on to what I could do to make things better for myself.  My best friend doesn't handle his problems this way and still expects me to have a "big breakdown" which frankly I don't see happening.  Everyone's response to terrible news is different however, but I guess after coming here and reading through these forums I saw how normal everyone's life appeared to be post infection and that gave me the strengthof will to realize that this disease was not the end of me.

Offline john33

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:42 am »

I'm sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us. You'll find a wealth of information (check it out when you want to and don't worry about not absorbing it all in one go), on top of which there's a great bunch of people from all over the world, all of us have had this for different amounts of time (not long diagnosed to many,many)(keyword for you there "many) years.

Have a browse through the poasting historys of the different forums, you everything from that much needed daily laugh to medical advice.

On another note, i was diagnosed a few months ago and had much the same reaction to you, in that numb disonnected feeling. If you think you need help ask for it.
Loads of people are going to tell you it get easier to cope, and it does. You will get there.

John
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:24:18 am by john33 »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:24 pm »
Welcome here!

My reaction to your story is bravo for you. If you feel that you have disconnected, that means you have NOT disconnected, in my opinion. It seems to me you are in crisis mode and your response is constructive and practical and deliberately non emotional for the moment. So, just enjoy all the benefits of your response - you get your HIV / health house in order, you dont fall apart at work or home or with friends and family. I'm sure you'll have the pain and feeling of loss when its the appropriate time for you.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:50:44 pm »
The fact that you are here and analysing if you are in denial in itself implies that you are not.  I do know what you mean though - I decided I was depersonalised until I did some rating scales and realised I wasn't quite that bad.  Though I do still feel that hiv took a bit of my soul away - the shock etc. It froze me a little bit.

Anyway, denial is a useful defence mechanism for now and you shouldn't fear it.  HIV can only take away as much as you let it take.  Stress is a pain in the arse and if you're still keeping practical then you're minimising possible stress triggers, so that's good. 

There is no time limit for dealing with this - keep reading and gaining knowledge and you'll see that you're gonna be ok.
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline lushy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments.
The way I see it is that I cant change it so I dont want to expell unnecessary energy being woeful.

I research every night- absorb as much as I can so I can understand HIV better and I have to say that has removed so much worry and finding a site like this is just the best. I  see this as a great opportunity to reevaluate my life and what is important and what is not and I catch myself almost every day taking a little extra time to appreciate life around me - simple things but previously unappreciated or unnoticed. Even the process of considering friends that I may tell- not that they really need to know but it is also helping me identify the value of some of my friendships and the shallowness of others.
So until I get thee to acounsellor, I might just go and get a dvd of BEACHES and see if that will opne any floodgates :)
Lushy

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:47:57 am »
Hi Lushy, welcome to the forums.

Like you, I was numb when first diagnosed. I didn't cry for a couple weeks. Then one afternoon, I decided to defrost my freezer. I got impatient and started scraping at the ice with a butter knife and punctured one of the freon lines. That opened the floodgates for me and I cried for a few hours - about my fridge, my hiv, everything. It was cathartic.

I felt  like crying when I paid for a new fridge/freezer, but that's another story. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
Lushy,
  Welcome to the site.  I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  Like you, most of us have been angry, sad, depressed, alone, and feeling helpless at one time or another.  It's okay to feel disconnected for a while.  First off, HIV is a slow disease, so you have time on your side.  Second, you are already seeing a doctor and that will help you live a more normal life.  HIV is alot to adjust to.  It can make you feel isolated from your friends and family, although most of the time they are better than you think they will be.  As you come to grips with HIV hopefully you will become a better person.  Feel free to ask others on this site about their methods of overcoming problems you might be facing.  It's very common to feel like nobody has had your particular issue, many times there are others who have been where you are and can lend new perspective on ways to overcome adversity. 

You've taken the first step by being here and reaching out.  That's a good thing.  I dont' recommend taking your frustrations out on your household appliances  (lol Ann), but it is good to get them out with a friend, the forums, or a counselor.  Good luck and keep us in the loop on how it goes for you.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.