Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Kaletra/Truvada & Zerit - Need Suggestions

(1/2) > >>

racerxsf:
I've been on Kaletra, Truvada and Zerit for about 6 weeks now.  Side effects come and go and don't seem to correlate to what I eat.  There is no rhyme or reason.   Nausea and fatigue are the biggest problems.  It's getting very depressing.  I'm looking for suggestions or help from anyone who has experienced the same.    ???

allanq:
Kaletra + Truvada is generally considered a first-rate regimen. Is there any special reason why you're also taking Zerit?

Zerit is notorious for causing peripheral neuropathy and also lipodystrophy (especially loss of fat in the face, arms, and legs). Zerit can also cause fatigue and nausea.

Fatigue and nausea can also be caused by Kaletra. (I believe it's the Ritonavir in Kaletra that does this.)

Kaletra can increase the levels of Viread (a component of Truvada). You need to keep an eye on kidney function (creatinine levels), which can be affected by Viread.

You should talk to your doctor. I would especially ask about Zerit and whether you really need it.

Allan

racerxsf:
I am these, because I'm resistant to a lot of other combinations.  Including the FTC portion of Truvada. Things are going a little better.   Especially, if I take the Truvada separately at night and take the Zerit and Kaletra with breakfast and dinner.  Thanks for responding.

newt:
Hello

1. If you are on Kaletra and have some PI resistance, the Prezista may be a better, more durable and less fatigue-prone choice of PI.  It is indeed the resistance-busting PI of the moment.

2. On the nukes, the FTC resistance is not always important, and perhaps even desirable.  FTC-resistant HIV is weedier.  FTC resistance most times makes the Viread part of Truvada more efficient. Therefore, depending on your nuke mutations, Truvada may still be enough  nukes. Do you know them?. Would not like to say more without a list, but with a list several people here are smart enough to offer a view or point you in the direction of an Expert Q & A where you can get one, like Harvard or John Hopkins.

3. d4T is not a kind drug, not getting away from that. But it is good at slamming the virus.

the best

- matt

racerxsf:
Thanks Newt.  Yes, Prezista is the best choice. I was on it for a short time. Unfortunately, I got a really bad rash from it.   Good to hear the information about the Truvada though.  My options really are limited at this time.  Thanks for responding.  Best

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version