Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:13:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 230
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vacuuming the Cat  (Read 7648 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Vacuuming the Cat
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:37 pm »
I discovered something hilarious yesterday.....Polly "the Fang" loves to be 'vacuumed'.   I was doing my weekly  monthly cleaning and was using the hose and brush attachment.....she has never been afraid of the vacuum, but I didn't think she would lie still for me to vacuum her!

Pets are great aren't they?   She brings so much joy to my life.

Hugs,

Alan & Fang
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline kcmetroman

Re: Vacuuming the Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 10:03:11 pm »
Hey Alan, I don't know of a living being that doesn't like to be sucked vaccumed now and then.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:07:56 pm »
Alan that's adorable. Someone should invent a quiet handheld just for pet grooming. I'd buy it

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:11 pm »
I learned the hard way to keep the vacuum away from my pets. I had a parakeet and she was so mean..everytime i cleaned her cage she would attack my hand. So I got the bright idea to vaccum the bottom. It was working great until i went to take the hose out of the cage. Right when i brought it up she flew to the other side and the vacuum caught her. It sucked her on her side and she was just stuck to the end of the hose. I reached down and turned the vacuum off and she fell to the bottom. She jumped right back up on her perch so I thought everything was ok. Found her dead 2 days later.

I guess its ok as long as the pet cant be sucked up in the vacuum....

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:18:37 pm »
Oh my Teresa, if that story wasn't so sad it would be hysterical!!!   :D
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:45:40 pm »

I must be horrible, cuz I think the parakeet story is hysterical regardless of how sad it may be.  It's like seeing a guy get whacked in the balls.  You know it hurt like HELL, but it's still damn funny.

I used to have a cat that liked to get vacuumed.  I thought she was quite odd, but maybe not so much.

:D
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:51:54 pm »
How cute Alan and Fang.

My cats disappear as soon as I reach for the vacuum from the cupboard. I'm sure they had a bad experience with vacuums in a previous life.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:07:15 am »
My dog Johnny jumped through the screen door and cost me a 100 bucks..  When I bring out the "DEVIL" hes such a pussy..  I wish I had a dog who was not scared to get sucked.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 12:21:12 am »
My cats disappear as soon as I reach for the vacuum from the cupboard.

i wonder why some are afraid and some aren't ... mine cats couldn't care less unless the vac is within 3 or 4 inches of them. my uncle's cat is afraid of the vac and my uncle tried to vaccuum him!  :o  well the "flight or fight" brain thing kicked in and the cat chose "flight" - but if not, he would've chosen "fight" --now that would've been holy hell  :D

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 12:38:11 am »
Living in the desert, my two dogs Waldo&Elmo, get dusty, so I bought a little dustbuster to try to keep them clean with. There is no way in Hell that they will sit still for it. The cat, Kitty C. International Cat of Mystery, however, seems rather to enjoy it. He also likes to ride in the truck more than the dogs as well. Actually, I think he's more of a dog than the dogs are.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 06:57:13 am »
I learned this lesson the hard way. I was 8 years old and my mother was sick of the cat shedding all over the house. Despite my protests my mother had me hold the cat while she tried to vacuumed him. As she applied the Bactine and Band-aids I learned not to always trust my mother's brilliant ideas.

Offline Christine

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 09:45:33 am »
We get a bunch of pet catalogs, and in one of them (don't remember which one) there was a brush like attachment that you can add to your vacum cleaner. I think it is a great idea if the animal doesn't mind the vacum. Three of my dogs hate the vacum, they run and hide, and our cocker spaniel could care less.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 10:06:18 am »
Reminds me of when I took Ms Peepers to the groomers and tried to warn them about the blow dryer.  The girl took her out of my hands and told me to take off...that she and Ms Peepers were going to be good friends.  A couple of hours later when I came back to pick her up, they were bandaging the girl's arms and hands and both women flatly refused to get Ms Peepers out of their cage.  I felt terrible but I did warn her.  I tipped her an extra forty dollars for her "trouble"...but she told me on my way out..."Do not bring that cat back here".
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 10:39:04 pm »
she told me on my way out..."Do not bring that cat back here".

of course you won't bring Ms. Peepers back there - they traumatized your cat!! they didn't listen to your warning and you took the high road after all was said and done

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:59:14 am »
NO...Unfortunately Ms Peepers died seven months to the day that David did.  I often think of them sitting up there Ms Peepers in David's lap waiting for daddy to come home.  But Ms Peepers did have a nickname among groomers PSYCHO KITTY.  And I don't know why....she was always a perrrfffeect kitty with me.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 06:29:18 am »
Gee Alan,
Hoovering Fang sounds like as much fun as mopping the weasel. Sweetie seems to think that the mop is like a big bucking bronco. She loves to stand on the mop when I get around to cleaning.(every six months whether I need it or not!)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 09:51:36 am »
One time when my cat Phlea had five-week old kittens, I had the vacuum out and ready to be plugged in. I didn't realise it was switched on before I plugged it in and the kitten who was sitting on it just about went through the ceiling. I didn't know a kitten can spring six feet into the air, straight up, from a sitting position. ;D That's one cat who probably hid behind the couch every time a vacuum appeared, for the rest of its life. :D

Freddy, the cat who decided he lives in my house, loves to be vacuumed and good thing too because he sheds like mad. The other cats make themselves scarce, but the dog follows me around when I vacuum because you never know what might turn up when I move the couch.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 10:22:32 am »
Well for me I can totally relate to why our furry friends are scared of giant machines that sound like they will steal the fur right off their bodies.  I for one having my arm poked scares the shit out of me and if I could jump out of my screen door, I would to..  "Ok, Eric - just alittle POKE.

Offline randym431

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 11:44:09 am »
Speaking of cat stories...
Some years ago my partners little 14yr old cat decided to play with the fly paper. We were gone that day and I had a few strips of the old fashion sticky fly paper in the windows (the flies were so bad that summer). We came home that evening and the cat was covered with sticky stuff, like it had been soaked. And there was sticky stuff ALL OVER everything in the front room. The TV, tables, chairs, walls. I just couldn’t help but laugh because it hit me the cat had been running around in a panic trying to get the fly paper off. Just the image of what must have went on that after noon with the cat was too much. We had to get scissors and clip one by one all the sticky hair off the cat. That cat was soooo amusing.

Then the time we lived on the second floor of an apartment in San Diego. The front windows were the old fashion crank out windows, no screens. Below was the ground floor patio where they kept a few garbage cans. So this same cat (as above) was acting sooo cool walking in and out of the cranked-open front windows and out onto the narrow window ledge, then back in the other window. I was sitting there watching TV, not really paying attention to the cat when I heard this garbage can sounding CRASH and realize miss cool cat had fallen off the ledge out the window to the cans below. That kept me laughing for days. The cat was ok, but embarrassed to say the least. Bobbie the cat, old and skinny but a first class clown.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 08:23:18 pm »
I know that I've already posted a reply to this, but the subject keeps coming back to me, and I've been remembering things related to it. Many many years ago, I hat a dog named Bart. Bart was a good dog, but none too bright. In Fact to be honest, he was catacalysmically retarded. Anyway, one day he was lying on the floor, mindlessly chewing away at the hose to the vacuum cleaner, and I couldn't get him to leave it alone, so while he was chewing it, I turned it on, and his tongue got sucked into the opening of the hose. The expression on his face was pretty freakin funny, and the whole time you could hear the sound of it fluttering in the hose. I shut off the vac, thinking that he would have learned his lesson. I was wrong. He jumped up and ran around the house barking, then lay back down by the hose and began licking it again. I turned it back on with the same results. Apparently this was great sport to him, and it was something he really enjoyed up until the day he died. Like Teresa's earlier post, I too, have vacuumed up a bird trying to clean its cage out. Zebra finches and Electrolux, what an evil, evil combination.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.