Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:49:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 449
Total: 449

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I have a rat in my flat! (Yeah...good news, especially for you crazy rat lovers)  (Read 12184 times)

Offline Cliff

Will and I were lying in bed and he says, (casually I might add), "there's a mouse on your floor."  WHAT!!!!  :o  I look up and see nothing, so I think he's just pulling my leg.  I flip off the lights and next thing I hear are little feet rustling accross the floor.   >:(

I hate pests.  They scare me.  I'm glad I'm out of town this week, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at my place (Will thinks I'm overeating cause it's just "an itty, bitty mouse"....whatever, where there's an itty, bitty mouse, the big momma and pappa RATs can't be too far behind)!  I can just imagine waking up one morning and the mouse is sitting right on my pillow, chewing on my ear.   :o 

I call the management company and they claim that they will get the pest control people to call me right away (supposedly they come every 3 months, but I haven't seen them yet).  Figuring it would be 3 months before I hear from them (par for course for these folks), I called a local pest control company and they want to charge me £240 ($443) for 3 treatments.   ::)

I need help....

1.  What's a reasonable price to pay for the extermination of rodents? £240 ($443) does not seem reasonable.
2.  What happens when the mice die?  Do the extermination people come and get them (cause I sure as hell ain't searching for, nor touching a dead, decomposing RAT) and what if it dies behind a wall or something....can they get to it, so that they can remove the dead carcass before the place starts to smell?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 07:41:49 pm by Cliff »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: I have a rat in my flat!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:54:06 pm »
Cliff,

There's a really cheap solution that you can buy in your local hardware shop - it's called a mousetrap. They're about 29 pence each (plus cheese) - three or four will do ya. Get Will to empty them - put him to work. :D

Ann
(who is not kidding)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
Obviously, my friend, you have done something to anger the mouse mafia.

We can discuss this fully over some spaghetti and cheese, and I will make you an offer you can't refuse.

But if you know what's good for you, you'll keep quiet.

- Jaser (leader of the Mouse Mafia).

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:19:22 pm »
Roaches or rodants and I'm out of there. if you have vermin roaming freely around your living space, then it is unhealthy.

I'd make sure that the landlord fixed the problem immediately and if not I'd move and get your expenses paid for.

Yuk! :'( :'( :'(

Terry (remind self not to visit Cliff any time soon)

PS. Were you laying or lying or just lying about you two laying??? ::)

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:26:05 pm »
A trick I learned living in Houston with no money and no job, just out of college, was to put a mouse trap with some bait into a paper bag and put it where you have seen the little fucker. In the morning you just throw the bag away.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 08:33:15 pm »
Cliff

I think Jack's idea makes the most sense.  But until the damn mouse (RAT?) or all 10,000 of them (which is probably a more accurate number if you want to know the truth) is absolutely gone, I wouldn't step foot in that damn apartment.

RAB

(Who suspects that Cliff's coming transfer to one of the "stan" countries is looking pretty good right about now!)

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:56:51 pm »
It's only a little itty bitty mouse. it ain't gonna kill ya, ya big sissy.
get a mouse trap, or some rat sack or a cat.

I really wouldn't bother with the expense of having your house exterminated. It is likely the building and surrounds are riddled with mice and it'd be kinda pointless just fumigating your apartment.

Thanks for the laugh though. I have this image of you Cliff, satnding on a chair in the kitchen, squealing like a big girl for Will to get rid of the mouse.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »
I gotta go with fearless on this....

I'd go for the humane trap and set him free...(check out Lwood's bunny trapping Blog for assistance).  LOL!

Sae
(who's with Jaser on this one)
(who ran screaming out of her office because of a spider this afternoon and would take a mouse or rat over that anyday)
Meh.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 05:51:28 am »
You guys are too funny.  A humane trap and set it free!!!  :D  That mouse is as good as dead, (by any means necessary), and if he has any buddies they are gonners too, even if I gotta do it American WWII nuke attack style!!  Label the rat posioning Enola Gay, then drop and run!!!

Where the hell would I set a mouse free in the middle of Westminster?  Plus that would require touching the damn thing....which I have no plans of doing.  You can get diseases from rats!  Bubonic plague and anthrax posining.  Or something like that.  The haunta virus and maybe a little ebola too.  I watch the Discovery channel.  Nope...not me.   ;D

Lil Steve- I think Will was scared too....just trying to play it off (that or he was very disinterested).  Which surprises me, hell he was in the Army for 4 years and served over in the Balkins.  I'm sure they trained them to survive a month, living on nothing but snicker candy bars and rats.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 06:06:44 am by Cliff »

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 05:55:41 am »
poor mouse......you can always adopt a cat and watch over your place....I can guarantee that the mouse won't be roaming around anymore.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 08:51:55 am »
$443 for 3 Treatments ???  That would have to be one Hot Looking Ratcatcher !  In My Exhaustive search of the internet I did indeed come across live capture traps suitable for Rats and Squirrrels however, AT the risk of angering the Mouse Mafia, its a bit absurd.  Europe was once largely decimated by the Bubonic Plague  'nuff said?
I like   'Jacks Rat Sack'  Idea. Use that Harrods or Burburry or Kenneth Cole shopping Bag  you have neatly folded in the closet ( I Know Damn Good and Well that you have one and probablly several, Dear)  And set the entire parcel out with the rubbish, A Designer Shroud will be a far grander sendoff than dieing in the sewer of old age and probablly being eaten by his brethren...And theres no such thing as ONE rat either. Get the Economy size 'Multi pack o' Traps' ... You now have an excuse for saving those Designer shopping bags. ( but keep the Prada !!)
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:26:04 am »
Cliff, use a broom, it doesn't smear them as bad when you smash them.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:49:25 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:47:17 pm by Iggy »

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 09:59:36 am »
I'm sorry Cliff. I have been LMAO @ this one. Still snickering as I type. Like Lil Steve said......I have this picture of you on the coffee table screeching like a big girly-man. ;D
The easiest, and most economical way to combat your mousie problem would be to adopt a nice big kittty. Course the problem with that is, that often kitty will bring you the carcass as a gift. hehehehe (damn I wish I could insert our old little devil icon right now)
Get thee to a nearest animal shelter, and get a kitty.
I so wish I could be there to see the fracas! :D 8)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:03:48 am »
LISA

You have planted an image in my head I am not sure I'll be able to get rid of!   :o

Cliff screams like a nelly girl man? 

RAB

(Who almost spit out his coffee laughing so hard!)

Offline Lisa

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 10:06:15 am »
You should be exceedingly happy dear Rab, as this may possibly top your "pink panty" fiasco. ;D :o ;) :-*

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 10:48:48 am »
The only rodent that has given me pause was a wharf rat I encountered in Beverly Hills. It was the size of a large cat, in fact, I thought it was a cat at first. Its tail was about as long as its body and it had teeth about 2-3 inches long.
It made me nervous. I spotted it while changing my fish-mongering clothes to my street clothes. Amazing what one sees in Beverly Hills.

UGH!  :o

Cliff, if I were you, I'd check my pantry. That's where squeaky, your new pet, probably resides part of the time.

HUGS and GIGGLES,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 03:17:35 pm »
Well, I'm back after corresponding with some of my informants and it seems that the mouse was placed as a spy, but now that you've seen him, the mission has been called off.

Rest assured though, the Mouse Mafia *will* be back. And knocking one of our guys doesn't do too well in your book, if you catch my drift, eh? We've got access to things you humans have only ever dreamed off.

Someone wanna pass the parmesan, eh?!

Offline Cliff

I came home tonight and a friend met me at my place to have a look around, (he claims to be an expert on rodents, gained, so he says, from living in council housing  ::) ).  He said I don't have any rats in my flat!!!  Why: 

1.  We checked all over the place and there was no rat poop or pee anywhere to be found.
2.  There was no visibile holes or gnawed out flooring/walls so it is unlikely a nest has been established anywhere.
3.  None of my food (which I have very little of) had been tampered with.
4.  We called the lady who helps out around the house, Stefka, and she hadn't seen any poop/pee or mice either.

Diagnosis....some dumb rodent got lost on the way to the tube and managed to get inside my place, but probably quickly left as there was nothing of value.

So no mice killings will be going down.  Though I was all ready and even found the right device.  It's called a rat zapper.  The rat enters the deep, dark chamber in search of food and before he knows it, he gets electrocuted, much like California's death row.  Then a light goes off letting you know something dead is in the chamber and you just empty the fried mouse into the trash, without so much as seeing it. 

Of course there's the sticky glue trap.  Basically the mouse comes for the food and then gets stuck to the trap, eventually starving to death, (unless you decide to be humane and kill it yourself....don't think I would have chosen that option, unless the thing was squeeling too much...of course I'd probably just turn the radio up.) 

Then there was the clobber, the mouse gets on the trap and the clobber bangs the crap out of it (though apparently that one isn't very quick and easy...sometimes the mice are just blinded and will just run around in the trap until it eventually starves to death.

Yeah!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:17:10 pm by Cliff »

Offline Cliff

Jaser...you tell the mice mafia that they come to my place....I got something for 'em.

40 Kills with one D cell battery.  That's 40 kills Jaser!!!!

Offline Lisa

Gosh Cliff, you sounded a little too enthusiastic about that post. I've always heard that serial killers often start out by toruring small animals.............. ??? :)

Offline Cliff

LOL.  You sound just like my mom, when I ordered the Serial Killer, Time Life series.

Offline Lisa

Yeah, I know. She and I have been talking. We're worried about you. ;D :-*

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
ALL THIS DAMN DRAMA OVER NOTHING?

Weren't you the one who posted something recently about "unnecessary drama" in our lives?   >:(

Sheesh!

RAB

(Who thinks Cliff is goona get exactly what he deserves from Jaser's Mousiafa friends! )

Offline Cliff

Thank God I didn't pay the £240 fee (cause just between you and me), I was this close to getting them to come by.  How close you ask?

About as close as a mouse is to death on the following sticky glue trap.

oh waite, that may not be that close.  It can apparently take a long time to starve to death.

P.S. - Ok, Rocky I may have taken things a little too far.  But it's been a phobia of mine since moving to NYC.  You hear stories about NYC and London being filled with rats.  last night I dreamed that when I opened my door a bunch of rats rushed out of the flat.  :-(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:30:29 pm by Cliff »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
did  the mouse stick?

Offline fearless

That zapper is special Cliff and a wise choice.  ;)
I hate the noise of a suffering squealing mouse as my cat slowly plays and tortures it to death. :'(
I imagine the noise would be similar on the sticky mats as the mouse squeals for mercy as it slowly starves to death.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.