Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:40:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 626
Total: 626

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Wave Of The Future (Or Google Does IT Again)  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
The Wave Of The Future (Or Google Does IT Again)
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:30:24 am »
Wow, who knew that Google could predict the latest fads and trends? I think that I'll just start spouting out bullshit online and see if I can get a job as an expert as there seems to be a market for it  ::) 

Edited to say: if you need me, I'll be looking for some of my 8 track tapes... while listening to vinyl records on my quadrophonic hi-fi component set.

More proof DVDs are a dying medium

by Ed Oswald, PCWorld   Apr 25, 2011 8:30 am

While Hollywood pushes Blu-ray as the next generation entertainment format new research suggests it may be wasting it’s time pedaling the optical disc format. In a research note to clients, BTIG Research analyst Richard Greenfield notes that Google searches for rental services like Redbox and especially Netflix have skyrocketed and searches for DVDs have flat-lined.

Greenfield suspects that the rise in popularity of Netflix has a lot to do with the rise in on-demand content, as consumers are just no longer interested in ownership. If this is the case it could spell trouble for Blu-ray: Hollywood is banking that physical media still has a few years of life left.

Google searches predict the future?

Searches for DVD terms such as “DVDs,” “movies on DVD,” “new DVD releases,” and “top DVD rentals” were off some 45 percent since their late 2008 peak, according to Google data. Contrast this with Netflix, whose query growth has eclipsed 90 percent for each of the past two years. Has the term Netflix become synonymous with home video like Google has to search?

The entertainment service’s rise in search queries does match up pretty well with its dramatic subscriber growth as of late. However the Google research paper that Greenfield cites in his report also notes that current subscribers themselves were increasingly using the term Netflix in their own searches.

If that’s the case, maybe my Google analogy isn’t that far off.

It’s full stream ahead For Hollywood

Much of Netflix’s growth seems to be due to online streaming. Greenfield notes that a large number of players are either solidifying or throwing their hats into the space—HBO’s GO service is a good example—which likely means were only just seeing the beginnings of a serious ramp up in interest in this format.

But let’s get back to Blu-ray and what this could mean. Sales data shows that the format has just now been able to get itself on par with traditional DVD in terms of player sales. While research group NPD says about 77 percent still watch movies on DVD yet, streaming has become much more popular.

Match this up with the growth in interest of Netflix (at least according to Google), and the company’s successful push to streaming content, and Hollywood has got to be a little worried.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:34:02 am by Solo_LTSurvivor »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.