Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:53:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 245
Total: 249

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Ocular Infection Risk?  (Read 13867 times)

Offline dolly718

Ocular Infection Risk?
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:09:57 am »
Hi everyone,
In early October I made 2 mistakes that I regret terribly.  I had sex with someone I didn't know [I am a 20 year old woman].  We had unprotected oral sex [no ejaculation] several times and protected vaginal sex.  However, at one point, the condom fell off [I'm so ashamed of this but it fell off in me and was there for several days, does this increase my risk?] so we briefly had unprotected sex for a matter of seconds before he realized and promptly put another condom on, but I'm assuming some pre-cum got in me.  A couple of days later, I had unprotected oral sex [very briefly, probably about 10 seconds, again no ejaculation] and protected vaginal sex [condom didn't break/fall off] with another man I didn't know. 
I started to panick a couple of days later thinking that I could have caught something because I started experiencing a lot of vaginal discomfort [turned out to be a bactirial infection] so I got tested for all STD's [including a blood test for herpes] and a test for HIV.  I got tested approximately 27 days after the instance of unprotected vaginal sex and [I'm assuming here because I can't quite remember] 24 days after having unprotected oral sex with the other individual I mentioned.  All of the tests came back negative.

My questions are:

1) I know the test results for HIV after 4 weeks is about 85-90% accurate [2 of my doctors even said 90-95%], but does it make a difference that I got tested 24 days after my last exposure? [I have an appointment to get retested this Friday, 66 days later so approximately 9.5 weeks but I'm so nervous so I thought I'd ask]

2) I've been told my behavior is low risk and that very, very few people catch HIV from oral sex but that's what's worrying me the most, probably because I have a male friend [who is gay] who claims he caught HIV from only having oral sex with a known HIV+ individual.  Of course he could have been lying but I still can't stop thinking about that. 

3) How relyable is a 9.5 week result?  I've read that it's 98-99% accurate but I've also read that the only way to get a conclusive result is to get tested at 3 months but honestly, I simply cannot wait that long.  I've been losing sleep, messing up at work, skipping school, ignoring my friends and family all because of this!  I don't think I could even make it through Christmas dinner, or that I'd even go, if I didn't know now.  Do you guys think, that with my 4 week negative and with my "low risk" activity that I can be assured that my result will be negative on Friday?  Should I be concerned?  And should I get retested at 3 months or can I lay my fears to rest?

Sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give as much information as possible to get a good response.  I'm also sorry if some of my questions are repetative [as compared to those of others].  Thank you all for your help!

Offline RapidRod

Re: 4 week negative - can I stop worrying?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:31:22 am »
You didn't have a risk.  You had protected sex and the oral was no risk. I believe you've heard that before?

Offline dolly718

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:00:47 am »
Well, I did briefly have unprotected vaginal sex...Yes, I have heard that before, I just have a hard time believing it, maybe just because I'm scared and anxious, but also because it seems odd that oral sex, which easily transmits other diseases, wouldn't also be responsibly for transfering HIV.  I'd love to believe that it's no risk but there is so much conflicting information, I'm sure you understand how it's hard to believe...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 08:43:46 am »
Given that you are so worried about your status, I think it's a good idea that you're getting tested again at 9.5 weeks. I do expect you to test negative. Hopefully collecting that negative result will help to put your mind at ease and move on with your life.

Your risk was very, very low in this situation. Giving oral, especially without ejaculation is risky only theory. Cases of reported transmission in that manner never seem to hold up under scientific scrutiny. 

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a possible exposure. It's up to you about re-testing at 13 weeks. Assuming you test negative on Friday, I'd consider it to be a slam dunk if you decide for your own peace of mind to re-test again at 13 weeks. 

As long as any guy you're with always uses a condom for vaginal and/or anal intercourse you will be well protected as far as HIV is concerned. It's important the condom is put on properly and with practice I expect you will become better at making sure it's removed when he withdraws.

Good luck with your test. Keep us posted.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:52:41 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline dolly718

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:35:50 pm »
Thank you Andy, I appreciate your quick and honest response.  I'm starting to feel confident that my result will be negative after reading some of the other responses on this site about the risks associated with oral sex so I'm not as worried as I was before about getting tested Friday.  Just one quick question, do you think, assuming I am negative on Friday, that I should get retested in 3 months?  2 of my doctors said it would be unneccessary considering my low risk situation but 1 said that he'd recommend it just to be on the safe side.  What's your opinion?  I just want to get over this and move on but I just want to make sure that if I get involved in a relationship or something that I know my status is negative for sure!

I'd also just like to add that I really appreciate everything you guys are doing on this site.  You're doing such a great service by educating people on the risks and realities of HIV transmission and I think if there is one positive thing I can attribute to this horrible experience is that I feel far more educated on HIV than I was before.  I know now how to properly protect myself from risk of all STD's  and I hope that I will be able to share what I learned here with others.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:30:53 pm »
You will have to make the decision about whether or not to re-test at 13 weeks. Assuming you get a negative from your current test and bearing in mind the very low risk to begin with, I would say further testing is not warranted. But I don't have to live in your shoes so you need to decide if that negative is sufficient for you to let go and get on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline dolly718

unrelated - possible n
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:55:47 pm »
Hi everyone,
I work at a tattoo shop as a shop assistant.  Today I was breaking down one of the artists machines after he finished tattooing.  I am always very careful with handling needles and always wear gloves.  After the needles are used, they are put into a "sharps container"; they are always placed face down so that no one gets pricked.  Today, I was putting a needle in [holding it by the top of the bar], I don't believe I touched any of the tops of the needle bars in the container but as I was placing it in, I felt a sharp pain in my finger.  I quickly checked my finger, there were no tears in my glove nor any blood.  I checked the container and all the needles were face down.  Logically, there is no way a needle would be facing up because thats a serious health hazard and no one would ever place on in otherwise.  I took off my gloves and noticed that I have a small slit on my finger which looks like a paper cut; no blood though.  The slit is still there but it doesn't hurt and there is no blood or ink on it, nor was there any on the glove I used, which again, had no tears or holes in it.

My question is, hypothetically, if I was pricked by a needle [and keep in mind these needles are old, over 24 hours at least], is there a chance of contracting a disease?  I don't think that realistically I was pricked because I work at a really good shop and everyone is aware of good health practices so the odds of someone placing a needle in face up is close to 0 but still Im freaking out...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:59:05 pm »
There has never been anyone infected from tattooing or pericings. You won't be the first.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:40 pm »
Dolly,

It sounds to me like you have a small paper cut you didn't notice until sweat got into it and stung. As you yourself said, you had gloves on and there were no holes or cuts in the gloves. Therefore, you HAD to have been injured before you put the gloves on.

It also sounds to me like you're starting to get the hiv jitters and seeing it lurk everywhere. Don't go down that road.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dolly718

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 09:51:02 pm »
Thanks Ann,
Logically, I think you have you be right [no tears in the gloves, no blood or ink on my fingers, no needles facing up, no way I could have been pricked].  I think I am getting a bit overly anxious about HIV [probably because of my first post above] but its hard not to especially because of where I work [like people who work at hospitals, part of my training is to assume that everyone is infected and to use utmost precaution with everyone so that I don't catch something...its the best way to stay safe] but there is of course a difference between being cautious and being paranoid.  Thanks for your reply!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:56:36 pm »
It's excellent that you follow what are called "universal precautions." Having your anxiety stirred up is understandable, but I want to remind you about what Rod said -- no one has ever been confirmed to have been infected in the manner you're concerned about and you aren't going to be the first.

Just keep following those precautions, use condoms for intercourse without exception and get on with your life. Really.   
Andy Velez

Offline dolly718

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 12:53:06 pm »
You guys are right.  Thanks for your time, and moving on is definitely what I'm starting to do.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 01:42:14 pm »
Good. Glad to know these exchanges have been helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline dolly718

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
Hey, just letting you all know I got my test results today and they were negative, like you all said they'd be.  Thanks for the reassurance and keep up the great work!

Offline pozmatt

• SIC VIC PACEM PARABELLUM
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 03:43:37 pm »
i am glad to hear that u are neg someone i know is going thru a similar situation so i know the anxiety u must have been feeling about everything keep ur head up and press on  ;)
I am newly diagnosed and looking to make new friends. I am straight and transitioning out of the military back into the real world.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
That's great. And remember to always use condoms for vaginal or anal intercourse and you'll always be well protected sexually in terms of HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 09:46:23 pm »
Just a word of caution for all that use condoms from someone that does HIV/AIDS 101 education that is also HIV+ for 19 years now - please make sure that condom is 100% latex and not animal skin (lamb, etc.).  Condoms are NOT 100% but used properly they are almost 99.9.  Also do not use any oil based lubs on them such as baby oil, chocolate syyup, whip cream, etc). which contains oil can burst even a latex condom.   

Try this experiment: (I use it when I do an education session)

Blow up two latex balloons.  Rub baby oil on one and KY jelly on the other.  See which one will make that condom burst the quickest.  A true eye opener.

I said all that to say it IS NOT ENOUGH to just use a condom.  Make sure it is the RIGHT KIND.  I tell you this because of the peace of mind it will give someone in not passing this disease on. 

Lov you all.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:54 pm »
kajnjewel, even though you would like to help you are not permitted to post in this forum.

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:23 am »
Soory - since I am postitive for 19 years, a long term survivor and member, I thought I could.  Was not trying to hurt just help.

There is such a thing not giving enough information and I was just trying to add that there could be something to worry about IF the wrong kind of condom was used.

Again - sorry
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:39 am »
Kaj, it's nothing personal. And I can see your intentions are good. However, the rule of the site is that only those who are authorized to do so are to respond to questions in this section. Thanks for your cooperation.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline dolly718

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
Hey guys, me again...I'm sorry to be such a paranoid mess but I can't seem to shake this fear.  It's been 3 months since my 2 incidents of unprotected sex.  I have not had unprotected sex since and I am currently in a new relationship.  It's going well but I feel anxious and scared around him because I keep thinking that I might be infected.  The only reason that has me feeling unsure is that [side note: I've been sick for over a month now, I was sick before I got tested, and this is fairly normal for me for the winter months] my left tonsil has become very swollen and my neck lymph nodes are very painful/tender to the touch.  I read that this can be a symptom of HIV and I know you guys and doctors hate going by symptoms but the weird thing is that I have never had this happen to me before and my boyfriend is showing no symptoms what so ever.  I read that tonsillitis is very contagious, why is he not showing symptoms?  [Another side note: we've been together for only a short period of time, about 10 days or so.  We haven't had sex, he has performed oral on me and I performed oral on him briefly and only once, no protection].  I also have an odd rash on my stomach; it's about the side of a quarter, reddish-pink with small pimple like bumps scattered around it.  It itches sometimes but normally it doesn't.  It's been there for weeks.  Is this something to be concerned about as well?

Should I be worried about this?  I know that after getting 2 negatives [4 and 9.5/10 weeks] after a very low risk situation, the odds of me having HIV are incredibly low but I could really use some advice.

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:40:07 pm »
Dolly,

If it's been three months now, why don't you just cut to the chase and get your conclusive negative confirmation?

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

And about the rash, the rash that sometimes accompanies primary hiv infection does not itch. Take your rash and show it to a doctor. It's not hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dolly718

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 01:54:48 pm »
I don't know...I guess partially because I'm scared to [I know that sounds stupid, especially because, at this point, I'm pretty much guaranteed a negative result] and also because I'd like to feel like I don't need to get tested again [I'm really sick of doctor's offices and spending money on this].  Would you recommend getting testing for any reason other than piece of mind?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 03:52:34 pm »
Dolly,

I don't think you're going to let this go until you get your conclusive result. You're obsessing over everything that goes on with your body.

Go test and get the proof that hiv isn't causing ANY of it.

I do not expect anything other than another negative result and neither should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dolly718

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »
Ok, I guess I should, just for my own piece of mind.

But just a general question about HIV rashes.  Are they typically large and widespread or are they more localized?  I just ask because the only rash I have is this small, lightly colored one on my stomach and that's it.  Im more curious than anything...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 05:04:01 pm »
Dolly,

Your rash sounds nothing like an hiv rash.

If you're worried about it, show it to a doctor. There's no point in bringing it up here, so please don't.

Go test collect your conclusive negative result and get it over with.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dolly718

Ocular Infection Risk?
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 12:31:26 am »
Hey all,

Quick question, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question...I'm sure you're all going to tell me I'm paranoid and that I'm becoming obsessed with HIV fear, but here goes.

I'm a beginning tattooer/apprentice.  Part of my job is to clean/sterilize the tubes, part of the tattoo machine.  The tubes sit in cups of inky [which contain trace amounts of blood] water until I feel like cleaning them.  On two separate occasions, several months ago [same thing happened in both instances], I was cleaning tubes, running the hot water, and something splashed into my eye.  It was only a little something because I had no liquid on my face.  I washed my face and eye out.  It was irritated for a little while but nothing serious. 

My question is, could I have been exposed to HIV through these occurrences?

In one occurrence, I knew the guy that the tube I was cleaning belonged to.  He's young, straight, has a serious girlfriend--not to stereotype but according to statistics, his risk of HIV is probably really low.  Plus he gets tattooed a lot so we'd probably know [most regulars tell us].  The other time I'm not sure.  I asked a doctor about it and he said it was "theoretical" but very low and highly unlikely, but he asked me if I wanted to get tested.  I said no.

I'm just looking for a second opinion.  I really don't wanna get tested, I'm really scared!  There's nothing else I've done recently [like lots of unprotected sex with heroin addicts] that would put me at risk but this, I know it's so dumb but I'm freaking out!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Ocular Infection Risk?
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 04:59:33 am »
Dolly,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hiv is a fragile virus. Once it's outside the human body, small changes in temperature and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. It certainly isn't going to remain viable outside the host and sitting in water.

You're right, it does sound like you're becoming paranoid about hiv. Perhaps it's time you sought counseling for that before it takes over your life.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! And by the way, the ONLY true risk group is that group of people who have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with persons of positive or unknown hiv status. Unless you're in a monogamous relationship where you've both tested together, you can have no way of knowing their hiv status.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dolly718

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 07:39:25 am »
Sorry about that!  I couldn't remember where my last post was, I'll be sure to read over that next time so it won't happen again!

Thanks for your response.  I know, I am really paranoid and it's taking over my life.  I haven't had unprotected sex [besides with my boyfriend who has been tested, neg] in months so I know I had no exposure that way, just this and it keeps me up at night.  I suppose I should try to seek some help, just never thought hypochondria could get this serious...

Thanks for your help again Ann.

Offline dolly718

Unprotected Sex with Tattooer, risk?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 03:15:36 pm »
Hello again,
Recently I had sex with a coworker and friend of mine who I work with.  We didn't use condoms but I was confident that he didn't have anything since he just got out of a very serious relationship and we know each other very well/work together almost every day [we spend about 50 hours a week together] so if he knew he had something, I'm almost positive he would tell me--would be pretty awkward the next day at work if he didn't.  Anyway, a couple days after, we were hanging out at the shop and he was showing me these spots he has on his hands from accidentally pricking himself with needles while tattooing.  He was joking about it because he had so many.  It really freaked me out.  I just kept thinking, "oh god, I slept with this guy without a condom, WTF was I thinking!!!"  Again, I'm sure that he would say something and would likely get tested after something like that happened but still, I'm nervous.  We're supposed to go out again and I want to bring it up but I'm scared of what he might say.  Also, what's the risk factor here?  I know there are no recorded cases of people catching HIV in tattoo shops but I dont think this applies.  I also know HIV doesn't carry well in ink or in non-hollow needles but still, anyone have any info?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:45:49 pm by dolly718 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 04:14:59 pm »
WTF was you thinking having unprotected sex? Sounds as though you were not thinking at all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »
Dolly,

Do you have a death-wish or what? So much for everything we've told you about using condoms, eh?

You know - or at least SHOULD know - the drill by now. You need to test at the appropriate time. It's not anything to do with his needle-pricks that concerns me - it's the fact that you had unprotected intercourse with someone of unknown hiv status. His being in a LTR means diddly-squat. He could be hiv positive and not even know it. What the hell were you thinking, after all your previous paranoia?

Don't think we're going to hold your hand during your window period. I'm not here to talk to brick walls. One post about symptoms or whatever and you'll be given a time out.

Perhaps it's time for you to seek counseling to find out why you insist on putting your life and health in jeopardy.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.