Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:50:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 632
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Baldwin Bill Seeks To End LGBT Health Disparities  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Baldwin Bill Seeks To End LGBT Health Disparities
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:01:03 pm »
Will address needs of People with HIV/AIDS and
HIV Prevention

Washington, DC – “The AIDS Institute praises Rep. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) for introducing the Ending Health Disparities for LGBT Americans Act (ELHDA), which would take a comprehensive approach to improving health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans, many of whom are living with HIV/AIDS or are at high risk of HIV infection,” commented Carl Schmid, Director of Federal Affairs for The AIDS Institute.  

According to Rep. Baldwin, “Our current health care system fails LGBT Americans on many levels. Although we have ample anecdotal evidence of these disparities, the federal government lacks even the most basic data on sexual orientation and gender identity and health.  This bill invests in research and takes critical steps towards improving the health of LGBT Americans and their families.”  

Joining Rep. Baldwin in sponsoring the bill (HR 3001) are House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman (D-CA), and Reps. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Mike Honda (D-CA), and Nydia Velazquez (D-NY).  It is Rep. Baldwin’s hope that as Congress undertakes comprehensive health reform it will work to address all disenfranchised populations.

In addition to investing in data collection and research, the bill establishes non-discrimination policies for all federal health programs, provides funding for cultural competence training for health care providers,
extends Medicare benefits to same-sex domestic partners, and creates a new office of LGBT Health within in the Department of Health and Human Services.

The bill contains a number of other provisions that are extremely beneficial to people with HIV/AIDS, including providing an option to the states to expand Medicaid coverage to low-income people living with HIV, allowing expenditures by the AIDS Drug Assistance Program to count toward the calculation of True Out-of-Pocket expenses in the Medicare Part D Drug program, and ending the two year waiting period for Medicare disability eligibility.  

In the area of prevention, the bill provides $50 million annually to the states for comprehensive sex education and demonstration projects for HIV education and outreach to high-risk subpopulations, including the transgender population and sex workers.

Despite making up a very small percentage of the general population, men who have sex with men represent over 48 percent of people living with HIV and over 53 percent of new infections. Estimated HIV infection rates among transgender populations range from 14 to 69 percent, according to sexual risk behavior studies.  

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:27:15 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: Baldwin Bill Seeks To End LGBT Health Disparities
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 05:17:46 pm »
Despite making up a very small percentage of the general population, men who have sex with men

What ? Didn't Kinsey find out gay and lesbians are about 10% of the population ? That would put MSM at 5% . Not what I would call "very small".

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:24:38 pm »
I didn't write the above, I merely cut and pasted it but 5% by all measures would be considered small. And of course their larger point was comparing that to the other two figures, 48% overall infections and 53% new infections. There's definitely a disparity there.

I think the assessment is pretty accurate.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:33:44 pm »
I didn't write the above, I merely cut and pasted it but 5% by all measures would be considered small. And of course their larger point was comparing that to the other two figures, 48% overall infections and 53% new infections. There's definitely a disparity there.

I think the assessment is pretty accurate.

I know you didn't write it. I would agree that it is small. But not very small.
And yes, the disparity is unfortunate.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.