Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 318
Total: 319

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Confusing test results. Need guidance.  (Read 10298 times)

Offline daisy717

Confusing test results. Need guidance.
« on: June 26, 2012, 03:57:04 pm »
Hi all.
I wanted to know if there is any way that HIV can "hide" from a western blot? I tested positive with an antibody test, but they followed it with 2 western blots, one for HIV 1 and another for HIV 2. Both were negative. I'm not pregnant. The reason I say this is because i read that pregnancy can cause false positives.

Lastly, the tests were performed outside the window period of 6 months. In fact, they were done WAYY outside the window period, if that makes any difference.

I'm really looking for guidance. My doctor advised me that I don't need to test again, unless I have had a recent exposure, which I haven't.

I'm a pretty low key kind of gal. No needles, no drugs.
My exposure was unprotected sex (multiple time) with a guy of unknown status.
I don't remember ever getting "really sick" with ARS, although I have been experiencing some of the symptoms after finding out these results. Maybe it's just my mind. Doctor said its sort of "too late in the game" to feel symptoms, even if i were infected. Is that true?

Also, I worry that the analyzer may have read the WB incorrectly. Can that be possible?

Lastly, I should also mention, I had other tests for this exposure. Three, in fact. Those were negative and also outside the window period. Those three were 3rd gen rapid ones.

I would truly appreciate any guidance or feedback.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Confusing test results. Need guidance.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »
As you were advised in another forum. Your doctor is correct and you are conclusively negative and don't need to retest.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:26:33 pm »
Whenever anyone tests positive the result is always checked by having a western blot done. Because the western blot is more specific and sensitive, a positive result on an HIV test is always trumped by a negative on a western blot.

You have reliably tested negative. You ARE HIV negative. Stop worrying and get on with your life.

And remember that anytime you have either vaginal or anal intercourse the insertive partner always has to wear a condom. Those activities unprotected are the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline daisy717

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:06:01 am »
I know it's easy for you all to say, but it's hard for me to accept and understand. I can't stop thinking about the what ifs. Specially in regards to the WB. I was hoping to get some guidance from you all in regards to it. I know it's a visible reading, meaning someone reads the results. How can I know that they read them right? Should I take comfort in my other neg antibody tests?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 02:18:05 am »
You should take comfort in the fact that the confirmation test, the western blot, was negative. False positive results, though relatively rare, do happen. This is why we confirm with the western blot.

You are assuredly HIV negative.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline daisy717

Positive Elisa test
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:59:38 pm »
I have not been completely diagnosed with HIV but I had a positive Elisa about a month ago. My western blot was negative though. For some reason, I still have lots of doubts about my status. Mainly because of the reliability of the WB. 

I had unprotected vaginal sex with my ex numerous times. Last time was 1.5 yrs ago.
I had 3 rapid tests in the timeframe of 6-12 months post exposure. 
My positive result was with a lab Elisa. I have been doing research online and read into how the WB works. I asked this question of the prevention forum but no one helped me. I am going to go test again tomorrow. I am expecting a the worst.

My question::
I read in the forums that the p24 antibody/antigen is present in the body early in the widow period, even before anybodies are present.
So my question is, how can a western blot that LOOKS for the p24 antibody be accurate way outside the window period (1.5 yrs after exposure) if the p24 protein is present only early on? Are the other proteins like that as well? 
I wonder, if taken earlier, the p24 band would have been present? And my WB would have been positive
Is it EVER too late for such a test?

I have what seems to be a swollen lymph node behind my ear but on my neck portion. It is big and hard, like a bone hard. It is not visible though. You can only feel it. This has really got me worried. 

Anyone, please help me. 
When i test again tomorrow, should i do a rapid or lab? 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Positive Elisa test
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »
You've already been helped in the Am I Infected section this morning:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=44360.msg546088#msg546088

Also, you should also not be posting outside of the Am I Infected section.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:03:52 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:47:22 pm »
Daisy, I've merged your threads here. And moved your newest thread out of the section in which you had mistakenly posted it. As it says in the opening thread of this section this is the only forum in which you should be writing. And your entries should all be in this same thread. Don't start anymore new threads.

You may have your doubts but they have no basis in HIV science. The western blot always trumps any other HIV test when the test was positive and the wester is negative.

So you are reliably HIV negative. End of question. Period.

Get on with your life and stop creating drama about a non-issue for you. You also need to know that if you continue to come back about this same non-issue you are very quickly going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

If you can't let go of your unfounded fears then see a counselor or other professional.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline daisy717

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:18 am »
Thanks Andy. I will try my best to move on. I am going to call tomorrow to talk to someone. maybe I need mental help?

This will be my final question. Can lymph nodes JUST now start swelling? 1.5 years later? I feel lumps all in my neck and behind ears.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 01:51:18 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,   or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:44 am »
I wasn't asking you or want your advice or input. You're very grumpy and unhelpful. I was asking Andy who is more willing to help.
I already said I was going to go get some help if you would have READ before posting you're go to response.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:21 am »
How many times do you have to be told that you don't have an HIV concern? If you have swollen lymph nodes see your doctor it doesn't have anything to do with HIV and this forum is HIV specific.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:53 am »
My question is HIV specific. Can lymph nodes just now start swelling in someone hypothetically speaking. Yes or no. That's it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:10:29 am »
Did Andy not give you a warning?
if you continue to come back about this same non-issue you are very quickly going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

If you can't let go of your unfounded fears then see a counselor or other professional.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 02:14:21 am »
You're unbelievable. Yeah I'm banning myself once I get my answer, don't worry. And as I have been told, to get help, I am.

You should reconsider why you're on these sites.

That's all. Don't answer with any remarks. I am waiting for ANDY

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 02:19:52 am »
Seek professional mental help. Ann will be along shortly.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 02:24:38 am »
Good maybe she will answer my simple yes/no question.

And I am getting help. Tomorrow I am calling to see who I can talk to

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 06:56:33 am »
Swollen lymph nodes happen for all sorts of non-HIV-related reasons. Keep your hands off of them and discuss your concern with your doctor. They are very sensitive to touch and handling them can create bigger problems.

HIV is not your problem. Get on with your life. If you come back here with more whats ifs and such you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Cut it out and just get on with your life.

Andy Velez

Offline daisy717

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
My lymph node is still there and I am still unable to move past this..
it creeps up on me out of no where.

When an Hiv infected person has swollen lymph nodes, do they usually have them everywhere or can they just have ONE swollen node?

Also, if the Western Blot is considered the gold standard, why do some experts on the forum say NOT to use it first and if they have used it as a first test, that it is not conclusive/accurate even after 3 months? Can a WB test FULLY be trusted?

Sorry to be posting again. I promise I wont go psycho this time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
Reread the replies you have been given, the answers are not going to change.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 04:07:30 pm »
I have re-read everything.

You're the one who always says that WB shouldn't be taken first and if people have, that it is not accurate or conclusive. Why? Why CANT a neg WB after 3 months be conlusive, but in someone with my situation, who had a positive ELISA, it IS conlusive?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 04:10:42 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:15 pm »
It's sad how you cant back up your OWN words. You always bust out with your guidlines when someone questions what you always say.
Have you ever though that if you actually answer the question, then people would just stop posting?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 04:17:57 pm »
The western blot is a conformative test used to back up a positive antibody test on a preliminary positive HIV test. They are only given when a person has had a positive antibody test. Now move along.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:19:48 pm by RapidRod »

Offline daisy717

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
well, i appreciate the response but you didn't answer WHY you tell people that a 3 month negative WB is not conlusive if it is the "gold standard" and is so accurate.

Just answer that and then you can have the modulators delete my account.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:29 pm »
Did you bother to read what was posted? I think not.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:15 pm »
I did.
But the fact of the matter is, some dr DO give WB as the first test. WHY is that so wrong, esp if the person tested neg with it.
The reason I am asking is if it is not conclusive for them after 3 months, how can it be conclusive for me after a positive elisa?

do false neg ever occur with rapids after 1 year?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »
If he did, he doesn't know a damn thing about HIV testing. You're not paying one bit of attention. Now read this.  A WESTERN BLOT IS USED TO CONFIRM A POSITIVE ANTIBODY TEST. Now what is so hard to understand about that?

Offline daisy717

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »
Nothing. I understand that.
My dr. did not order that. She used the "right" process, according to you.

You're not understanding what I am asking, though.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »
Have a good day.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »
Thanks, you too.
I am sorry, I didn't mean to come off so rude.

I think I am going to go re-test to rule out if the western blot was a false negative

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 05:00:35 pm »
You are making this situation way more complicated than it has to be. A western blot negative is very reliable. Go ahead an re-test if you insist. You are HIV negative. There is nothing more we can do for you here.
Andy Velez

Offline daisy717

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 05:06:31 pm »
Andy,
It is quite complicated, though.
Maybe I am just not understanding the use of the WB, because it really has me questioning its accuracy.

I am not sure what kind of test to test with.
-I tested negative with rapids 3 times
- I tested positive with lab
-I tested negative with WB

Is it ironic that the lab test gave me a positive test?
Is one better than the other to test with now, lab or rapid

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
Then seek professional mental help to deal with why you can't accept your conclusive negative test results.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »
 I just wanted to know which test would be better for my situation. Not to be told I need mental help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 02:56:33 am »
Daisy,

You have tested hiv negative far outside the window period. Sometimes false positive results just happen. That is why they are confirmed or ruled out with WB testing. You've had TWO negative WB tests.

You do not have hiv no matter how much you appear to want it.

You do not need further testing.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!

I'm giving you that time out you have been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:59:08 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.