Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:11:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re-infection!  (Read 36672 times)

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
Re-infection!
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »

Honestly, the whole time I've had HIV, re-infection or superinfection is something that never even crossed my mind.  That may well have been a mistake.  For one thing, it definitely happens; the articles here http://www.thebody.com/index/treat/superinfection.html cite several cases in which it has clearly happened.  Now it may have happened to me. 

One Sunday afternoon around three weeks ago I became suddenly very ill.  Chills and fever came out of nowhere and lasted for about two days.  Headache and muscle aches lasted a couple of days longer.  Then I was fine again, and then after a few days I suddenly had no energy.  I slept for around twenty hours a day for three days and hardly wanted to eat anything for a week.  One silver lining: I lost twelve pounds! 

In the middle of all this I had my regularly scheduled HIV blood tests.  Two days later my doctor called me and asked me to go in for further blood tests.  The next day she called again and asked me about recent sexual activity.  She said that it looked as if I had been reinfected with HIV! 

Now, I'd only had sex once recently, and it was with condoms.  But a strange thing happened in the middle of that episode.  At a moment when I had my back to the guy, I suddenly thought "Did he just pull out, pull off the condom, and go back in?"  Then I though, "No, that's silly."  After a moment we changed position and I saw him put on a fresh condom.  Now it looks likely that my suspicion was founded on something after all. 

The reason my doctor thinks re-infection is likely is the wildly high Viral Load.  There are also some slight liver abnormalities.  Another thing that has happened is I've recently been infected with cmv.  Apparently a lot of people with cmv don't have any symptoms at all, but some get a flu-like illness which could be why I got sick--or it could be that I went through acute HIV all over again, which has happened with people who got re-infected.  The VL could be explained by cmv: the immune system was so busy fighting cmv that the HIV took the opportunity to go berserk; but 799,000 seems a bit extreme, which is why my doctor is leaning towards superinfection as an explanation. The very low cd4% is explained by dramatic increases in helper cells which may be a result of the cmv as well. 

The possible results of re-infection are:

1. going through acute HIV all over again;
2. possibly acquiring new drug resistances; and
3. possibly getting a more lethal strain of HIV and progressing faster. 

I already seem to have been through one; I'll find out in a week whether two is my case or not, when drug-resistance tests results come back.  But for three only time will tell.

Whether re-infection is what's happened to me or not, please be aware of the possibility!  The whole thing came as such a shock to me because I'd never even thought about it.  I honestly didn't want to write this but I think it is important to warn others of the possibilities.  Thanks for reading, and please, be careful! 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: Re-infection!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »
I thought you were on meds?  Must have you confused with someone else.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline ds4146

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »
I thought you were on meds?  Must have you confused with someone else.

Might be your Avatar confusing you, or twisting you.

So really!  I think you, Nestor, need to keep us updated.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:01:31 pm »
sorry to hear about this Nestor. Could this possibly be just a lab error? Are you having lab work, not just genotyping, done again to verify this? I know I would with such an out-of-the-ordinary change like that.

Here's hoping, if it's not just an error, that at worst it's just #1 and none of #2 or #3
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »
Might be your Avatar confusing you, or twisting you.

If that was an attempt at being bitchy you can go lick the pavement. 

Now, back to the OP, I will have to agree with Mr. Bivins, you may need additional labs to figure out what's going on here.  As far as super-infection is concerned there will be others who are more enlightened on this subject.

I would just caution those who are somewhat newly infected when they read this thread to not become totally paranoid about this subject.  There is a lot more to it than what's being presented here, and there are some who are quite skeptical about the fact that it happens commonly [or at all].  Again, it is a topic that those with more knowledge will hopefully address in a proper manner.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:53 am »
I know the super infection issue is a hot button subject.  I've heard some say it is always a possibility and others say it only happens to people newly infected.  To someone still learning about all this, I think why couldn't you get infected again with a different strain?  It appears to be rare, isn't it?

About the CMV infection-- I thought we really only had to worry about that at lower CD4s.  Your numbers have been high.  Is it uncommon to get OI's with higher numbers?  You're not on meds?  I'm not either and this is something I've asked about--whether not being on meds but with good numbers puts me at higher risk for OI's than HIVers on meds.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:32:46 am »
Reinfection and "superinfection", which I assume to mean two different things, are not well researched, so it's kind of surprising to me that your healthcare providers would immediately make that association and informing you so without going through all other possibilities, including as simple and harmless as a lab test fail.

Or have they already ruled out other explanations? For example, have they checked you with other STDs that are very easy to catch but curable, like syphilis? There are many researches concluding that syphilis can cause VL spikes, and all those reinfection symptoms you mentioned could also happen to someone who's going through the primarily or secondary stage of syphilis.

As for CMV, most of us already have it (as much as 85% of the total population by some estimates) but our immune systems mostly keep it in check. But when one's immune defenses are weak, it comes out to attack and kill us like a number of other opportunistic infections (PCP, etc). And like PCP no additional preventive meds are needed unless our CD4 has dropped below 100 or unless one is already suffering from a form of CMV illness like retinitis.

So, the chance is that you are already CMV reactive long before you found out about it recently. But since you said your infection is recent, do you mean that you were tested before and had a confirmed result that you didn't have CMV, but that a recent one shown that you have?

Because as far as I know nobody cares to test for CMV because it rarely causes health problems, not even pozzies like us because the chance is that, like the general population, we already have it, and if we're having a good CD4 number it also rarely causes any troubles. And even if it was a recent infection, primarily CMV also rarely caused any symptoms, and even when they show up they are non-specific and mild... not something that could explain the VL spike. So, in short, don't see how it's relevant to your situation.

Seriously, just trying to be helpful, and I would in particularly recommend you to ask for a full STD panel.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:16 am »
odd story all around.
hope it works out better soon enough.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Nestor

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 05:24:47 am »
Thanks for the comments!

sorry to hear about this Nestor. Could this possibly be just a lab error? Are you having lab work, not just genotyping, done again to verify this? I know I would with such an out-of-the-ordinary change like that.

Here's hoping, if it's not just an error, that at worst it's just #1 and none of #2 or #3

My doctor did mention the possibility of a lab error, except that a mere error wouldn't just happen to take place at the same moment that I become seriously ill.  One possibility she mentioned is that the presence of cmv or antibodies to cmv may have messed up the HIV VL reading. 

At any rate, I am indeed getting tested again on July 13, and will find out those results on Aug. 2nd--not quite soon enough for my taste but better than waiting 3 months.  There's something about knowing I have a 799,000 VL that's really making me uncomfortable!

I would just caution those who are somewhat newly infected when they read this thread to not become totally paranoid about this subject.  There is a lot more to it than what's being presented here, and there are some who are quite skeptical about the fact that it happens commonly [or at all].  Again, it is a topic that those with more knowledge will hopefully address in a proper manner.

I certainly don't advise anyone to be paranoid, but what is the lesson to be drawn from this?  I made a conscious choice only to have protected sex, for my sake and for that of my partners.  And STILL this kind of crazy thing can happen!  So what is the lesson--only have sex with people you know well and trust, who won't randomly pull a condom off in the middle of sex?  Or just live with the possibility that this can happen?  I'm paranoid now!  I think I'm going to be terrified to have sex after this! 

As for reinfection, or superinfection (they do appear to be two names for the same thing) I think everyone who has HIV would do well to read a few of the more recent articles in that page of articles to which I linked in my original post.  It's something we ought to be aware of.  It obviously happens; that has been proven.  How common it is is unclear; one study suggested 4 or 5 percent of people with HIV.  In another study, out of eight people, two were clearly reinfected.  In one case it was a good thing: the guy's original virus had some med resistances, and after reinfection the new strain did not have any!   Still, if I'm understanding correctly, reinfection happens when the new strain of the virus is somehow stronger than the old strain--the new strain conquers and replaces the old strain--and that makes me nervous.  If I've just been reinfected, I"m wondering what this new strain is going to be like to live with. 

Ted, if the illness of the past three weeks is indeed a response to CMV, and not just reinfection, I don't think it is technically an OI.  Here's what Wikipedia says about CMV:

"Most healthy people who are infected by HCMV after birth have no symptoms.[1]  Some of them develop an infectious mononucleosis/glandular fever-like syndrome,[5]  with prolonged fever, and a mild hepatitis."

So most healthy people who get infected with CMV do not get this fever, but some do, and I may have been one of the lucky ones; that might have happened even to someone without HIV.  I think CMV is an OI when people with VERY few t-cells go blind from it or have other serious results: my doctor spent some time today reassuring me that I would have to have around ten t-cells before that kind of thing could happen. 

Komnaes ,  when my doctor saw my lab results--not only the VL but also the liver abnormalities--she immediately had me tested for Epstein-Barr, CMV, and Hep C.  (Presumably the issue of syphillis has not been raised as it would not explain the liver issues?  I'm not sure myself, but surely there must be a reason why my doctor did not mention syphillis as a possibility?  Besides, I certainly didn't see anything like a chancre.) 

These tests were very specific and designed to tell, based on antibodies, whether an infection was recent or old.  With Epstein-Barr, it turned out that I have been exposed to it at some point in the past, but not recently; with CMV it was the opposite: a recent first infection.  I'm not clear whether it is the number or the type of the antibodies that helps determine these things.  CMV could explain both the illness and the liver abnormalities, to the extent that one almost wouldn't need to keep entertaining the re-infection possibility, except for that bizarrely high VL.  Hopefully the next set of labs will put that in some perspective.

Thanks all! 

Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Offline edfu

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:29:03 am »
As for CMV, most of us already have it (as much as 85% of the total population by some estimates) but our immune systems mostly keep it in check. But when one's immune defenses are weak, it comes out to attack and kill us like a number of other opportunistic infections (PCP, etc). And like PCP no additional preventive meds are needed unless our CD4 has dropped below 100 or unless one is already suffering from a form of CMV illness like retinitis.

So, the chance is that you are already CMV reactive long before you found out about it recently. But since you said your infection is recent, do you mean that you were tested before and had a confirmed result that you didn't have CMV, but that a recent one shown that you have?

Because as far as I know nobody cares to test for CMV because it rarely causes health problems, not even pozzies like us because the chance is that, like the general population, we already have it, and if we're having a good CD4 number it also rarely causes any troubles. And even if it was a recent infection, primarily CMV also rarely caused any symptoms, and even when they show up they are non-specific and mild... not something that could explain the VL spike. So, in short, don't see how it's relevant to your situation.

Actually, it is estimated that 99% of all gay men are infected with CMV, which is indeed normally controlled by CD4s over 50.  It is exceptionally easy to transmit, usually via......dare I say the word?......saliva.  

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline komnaes

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 06:25:11 am »
Komnaes ,  when my doctor saw my lab results--not only the VL but also the liver abnormalities--she immediately had me tested for Epstein-Barr, CMV, and Hep C.  (Presumably the issue of syphillis has not been raised as it would not explain the liver issues?  I'm not sure myself, but surely there must be a reason why my doctor did not mention syphillis as a possibility?  Besides, I certainly didn't see anything like a chancre.)

Actually, syphilis can attack the liver. Consider that an unsafe sex accident might have happened (and syphilis and other STDs can be transmitted through unprotected oral), I still find it surprising that your care providers did not mention that possibility.

It's up to you my friend.. but my suggestion is still to ask for a STD panel.

PS- modified to add that chancre and other secondary rashes could appear in places that are hard to see, and many people missed them during the critical early period
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:57 am »

These tests were very specific and designed to tell, based on antibodies, whether an infection was recent or old.  With Epstein-Barr, it turned out that I have been exposed to it at some point in the past, but not recently; with CMV it was the opposite: a recent first infection.

This portion of your post, coupled with Occam's Razor, points to you experiencing a primary CMV infection and not reinfection. And yes, reinfection and superinfection are the same thing.

You had your recent blood tests "in the middle of all this", so why is the high viral load so mysterious? And why couldn't a "mere error" be a coincidental happening? Shit really does happen, you know.

edited because I can really strangle me some syntax when the mood strikes
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:53:19 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:59 am »
This portion of your post, coupled with Occam's Razor, points to you experiencing a primary CMV infection and not reinfection. And yes, reinfection and superinfection are the same thing.

You had your recent blood tests "in the middle of all this", so why is the high viral load so mysterious? And why couldn't a "mere error" be a coincidental happening? Shit really does happen, you know.

I believe the difference is between reinfection and coinfection (although reinfection can cause coinfection) reinfection is where someone who has been hiv+ for a while supposedly is infected with another strand of the virus whereas coinfection is 2 infections simultaneously either during the first infection or eventually when you are reinfected you are then considered coinfected.

Run on sentences yay.  Superinfection and coinfection are synonymous.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:47 am »

I believe the difference is between reinfection and coinfection (although reinfection can cause coinfection) reinfection is where someone who has been hiv+ for a while supposedly is infected with another strand of the virus whereas coinfection is 2 infections simultaneously either during the first infection or eventually when you are reinfected you are then considered coinfected.

Run on sentences yay.  Superinfection and coinfection are synonymous.

Crikey. Why don't you just come out and say you don't know? Or just leave it? Your above post is gobbledegook and is only going to confuse people further.

Coinfection and Reinfection

Researchers make a distinction between two types of dual, or multiple, HIV infection:

Coinfection, or infection with more than one viral strain at or near the same time, is believed to occur around the time of initial infection. (Initial infection is also known as acute or primary infection -- the period before seroconversion that usually lasts from a few weeks to a few months.)

Reinfection with a different strain, also known as superinfection or serial infection, presumably takes place later on during early infection (the first few years of HIV disease, after seroconversion) or chronic (long-term) infection.

In theory, any apparent case of reinfection could be a case of coinfection in which one of the coinfecting strains remains undetectable until it emerges sometime after seroconversion (the point at which HIV antibodies can be detected and a person can be diagnosed as being HIV positive). This is sometimes called sequentially expressed coinfection. Testing limitations that prevent detection of very small viral populations in the body make it difficult to distinguish between coinfection and reinfection. Researchers believe that until a source partner for dual infection is found and the timing of exposure confirmed, it is not possible to determine that the second virus was acquired after seroconversion.

While finding source partners is a continual problem, determining the timing of exposure is aided in some cases by the emergence of acute retroviral syndrome (often flu-like symptoms, including fever and fatigue) in the person presumed to be reinfected. It is not known whether overgrowth of a previously dormant coinfecting strain might also trigger acute retroviral syndrome.
source
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:50:25 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:03:05 am »
except that a mere error wouldn't just happen to take place at the same moment that I become seriously ill.
ROFL  :D dude, never take it for granted that 2 (or 3 or 4 or more) weird things couldn't all happen at the same time. A lab error at the time of me being sick would be exactly like the kind of crazy incidents that happen in my life.

Unfortunately without more info, you're just going to have to hang in there ;) and wait to see what all the lab work points to in Aug. (which kinda shows that your doctor isn't as concerned as you are about this anomalous reading)

How are you feeling now? Hopefully better!
And hopefully you'll be feeling better when you have this next batch of new tests done - otherwise you might get another batch of screwy tests back. ::) LOL :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Nestor

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:25 am »
Komnaes, I would be happy to ask my doctor whether she thinks testing for syphillis would be a good idea.  I guess basically I trust her enough that if she didn't suggest syphllis, she must have had a reason for not suggesting it.  Plus, now with cmv, there's sort of already an explanation for most of what happened, or even all as Ann suggests....

Funny, I actually thought about Occam's razor this morning when I was thinking about this.  If a primary CMV infection is enough to explain everything, then why the re-infection theory?  And Edfu points out that CMV is easy to transmit, even with saliva.  Re-infection in this case needs to suppose that the guy actually did pull the condom off and that in the few short moments before he put a new one on I got reinfected.  (On the other hand, if 99% of gay men have CMV, and if it's transmitted as easily as that, it's strange that I went to age 36 before finally getting it.)  

But I suppose the high viral load is the center of the mystery here.  Yes, I know that when people get sick their VL goes up, but that much?  Has anyone else here had anything like that kind of rise?  If so, under what circumstances?  From 4,000 to 799,000?  I know that that is what first suggested reinfection to my doctor--the vl looked like the rampant vl of someone who's just sero-converted.  Actually, it would be reallly helpful to know how common this sort of thing is, and why it happens--lab error, illness, etc....

I sure wish it were August 2nd already--I feel like I have spiders running amok inside me.  

One think for CMV--it's the most amazing rapid weight-loss mechanism the world has seen!  I started eating normally two days ago, and I still weigh a pound less today than I did yesterday!  Sorry, it's the one bright spot to cling to in the gloom....
ROFL  :D dude, never take it for granted that 2 (or 3 or 4 or more) weird things couldn't all happen at the same time. A lab error at the time of me being sick would be exactly like the kind of crazy incidents that happen in my life.

Unfortunately without more info, you're just going to have to hang in there ;) and wait to see what all the lab work points to in Aug. (which kinda shows that your doctor isn't as concerned as you are about this anomalous reading)

How are you feeling now? Hopefully better!
And hopefully you'll be feeling better when you have this next batch of new tests done - otherwise you might get another batch of screwy tests back. ::) LOL :D

Leatherman,  I just posted the above when your response came in.  Thanks!  Sure, I guess just being patient is the only thing.  My doctor wanted to test again in one month; I suppose testing again immediately would be useless, because if this is a result of sickness, I'm still sick.  July 13 was the closest available day; I have to wait until August 2nd because I think my doctor will be on vacation in the end of July, but two weeks is usual anyway. 

I'm feeling better, physically, every day, although still have very low energy--I still slept for about twelve hours yesterday.  Emotionally, I'm feeling creepy about this new VL, plus having yet another virus lurking in my system waiting to do who knows what someday. 

Remember the thread in which I said that I always had my labs done in the evening, and now one was being scheduled for the morning, and I was afraid the t-cell count would look abnormally low because of diurnal variation?  That turned out to be the least of my worries!  In fact, the t-cell count is the only thing that came through unscathed! 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:27:34 am by Nestor »
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:08 am »

Funny, I actually thought about Occam's razor this morning when I was thinking about this. 

Oooo... spooky... you may have been channelling me. Better get checked out for AIDSmeds related dementia, just in case. ;D

Sorry couldn't resist.

It never hurts to get checked out for syphilis. It's spread through skin-to-skin contact and therefore a lot easier to contract - sometimes even when condoms are being used. As the chancres are not painful, they aren't always noticed. And it's not called the great imitator for nothing - it can imitate other illnesses.

While it's unusual for a person of your age to not previously had CMV, it happens. After all, it's not 100% of the population who will test poz - and I'm pretty sure the gay man estimate % edfu gave out is too high. What I've read has been more in the 75% range.

But what I'm trying to say, somebody has to be in the percentage of people who won't test positive for CMV and up until recently, why couldn't that person be you?

It sounds like you were pretty ill with the CMV - it could well have cause a huge blip in your VL. Or it could be lab error. This seems to be how your doctor is thinking - why not just go with it? You're not going to speed your tests along by driving yourself mad and continually fretting about this.

And think of all the CD4s you're going to be drowning in that sea of worry. Stress ain't good for you!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »
Nestor,

If you're thinking of being tested for syphilis (an excellent idea) be sure your doctor performs a specific treponemal serology like TPHA or FTS-Abs, not just a VDRL or RPR test.

MtD

Offline edfu

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:13 pm »
While it's unusual for a person of your age to not previously had CMV, it happens. After all, it's not 100% of the population who will test poz - and I'm pretty sure the gay man estimate % edfu gave out is too high. What I've read has been more in the 75% range.

A couple of relevant references:

"The prevalence of CMV infection in homosexual men is quite high (95%) as defined by antibody seropositivity.  Moreover, there is frequent reactivation or reinfection with CMV in homosexual men, as evidenced by the presence of anti-CMV immunoglobulin-M in blood and excretion of the virus."
     --"Enhanced Shedding of CMV in Semen of HIV-Seropositive Homosexual Men," J. of Clin. Microbiol., May 1992

"Antibody to CMV was measured in the sera of 139 homosexual and 72 heterosexual men attending [a venereal disease clinic] and in 103 male volunteer blood donors.  Titers were found in 94% of homosexual patients but in only 54% of heterosexual patients and 43% of male volunteer blood donors."
     --"Prevalence of CMV in Homosexual Men," J. Infect. Dis., Feb. 1981
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 11:31:35 pm »
A couple of relevant references:

"The prevalence of CMV infection in homosexual men is quite high (95%) as defined by antibody seropositivity.  Moreover, there is frequent reactivation or reinfection with CMV in homosexual men, as evidenced by the presence of anti-CMV immunoglobulin-M in blood and excretion of the virus."
     --"Enhanced Shedding of CMV in Semen of HIV-Seropositive Homosexual Men," J. of Clin. Microbiol., May 1992

"Antibody to CMV was measured in the sera of 139 homosexual and 72 heterosexual men attending [a venereal disease clinic] and in 103 male volunteer blood donors.  Titers were found in 94% of homosexual patients but in only 54% of heterosexual patients and 43% of male volunteer blood donors."
     --"Prevalence of CMV in Homosexual Men," J. Infect. Dis., Feb. 1981

Nothing more recent?

MtD

Offline edfu

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:22 am »
May 2006:

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-05-03-03

"CMV is more prevalent in populations at risk for HIV infection; approximately 75% of injection drug users and >90% of homosexual men who are infected with HIV have detectable IgG antibodies to CMV.  Higher prevalence rates among homosexual men correlates with the increased risk of exposure associated with receptive anal intercourse.  In addition, high prevalence rates of CMV IgM antibody in longstanding CMV-seropositive homosexual men suggest that this group is frequently re-exposed to (and at least sometimes reinfected with) differing exogenous strains of CMV."

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 01:21:41 am »
May 2006:

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-05-03-03

"CMV is more prevalent in populations at risk for HIV infection; approximately 75% of injection drug users and >90% of homosexual men who are infected with HIV have detectable IgG antibodies to CMV.  Higher prevalence rates among homosexual men correlates with the increased risk of exposure associated with receptive anal intercourse.  In addition, high prevalence rates of CMV IgM antibody in longstanding CMV-seropositive homosexual men suggest that this group is frequently re-exposed to (and at least sometimes reinfected with) differing exogenous strains of CMV."

Cheers babe.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 01:45:25 am »
Nestor,

If you're thinking of being tested for syphilis (an excellent idea) be sure your doctor performs a specific treponemal serology like TPHA or FTS-Abs, not just a VDRL or RPR test.

MtD

Could you explain more about why TPHA and FTS-Abs is better?  I have no idea what test they used on me.  If they did the RPR test and told me I didn't have it, does that mean there is still a possibility I could have it?  I need to read up about these tests more.  I suppose I could have googled this, but you can probably explain better from your own experience.  Aren't there also tests for the Heps, liver, and kidney function that paint a clearer picture than the usual labs that are performed?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 04:50:14 am »
Could you explain more about why TPHA and FTS-Abs is better?  I have no idea what test they used on me.  If they did the RPR test and told me I didn't have it, does that mean there is still a possibility I could have it?  I need to read up about these tests more.  I suppose I could have googled this, but you can probably explain better from your own experience.  Aren't there also tests for the Heps, liver, and kidney function that paint a clearer picture than the usual labs that are performed?

I don't want to hijack this thread with an indepth discussion of syphilis, a particularly complex disease.

I (and others) have discussed the various aspects syphilis on previous occasions so a search of the forums should provide you with more than enough detail.

I will say that TPHA and FTS-Abs are tests which will can tell if a person has been exposed to Treponema Pallidum the bacteria which causes syphilis. You should think of them as analogous to an HIV antibody test.

VDRL and RPR are non-specific in that conditions other than syphilis can return reactive results on those tests. These tests (most notably RPR) are used to determine the progression of syphilitic disease as well as monitoring the efficacy of treatment. In that sense these tests are analagous to the HIV viral load test.

Effective detection and management of syphilis requires a combination of TPHA or FTS-Abs and VDRL or RPR.

A glossary of terms:

TPHA: Treponema Pallidum Haemagglutination Assay
FTS-Abs: Fluorescent Treponemal Antibody absorbed
VDRL: Veneral Diseases Reference Laboratory test
RPR: Rapid Plasma Reagin test

If you would like to talk about syphilis in more detail, I suggest you open a new thread.

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:26 am »
I know you have decided against meds for now - but this does sound like one more reason to be on them. I.e. if you were on meds getting another strain of the virus would not be an issue.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 09:57:19 am »
I know you have decided against meds for now - but this does sound like one more reason to be on them. I.e. if you were on meds getting another strain of the virus would not be an issue.

Using condoms - and making sure they remain on the dick that is plugging your hole(s) - also means getting another strain is not an issue. Makes more sense than starting treatment when it isn't necessary.

For someone who has already seen out the first few years of their initial infection, I really don't believe reinfection is an issue anyway.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 10:00:05 am »
Ed, you're right. I was thinking of the stats that say 75% of poz people are CMV poz.

But even if 95% of gay men are CMV poz, that doesn't mean that Nestor couldn't have been in the 5% who (up until very recently) are CMV negative. Somebody's got to be in that 5% - yes?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Boze

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 10:02:08 am »
Using condoms - and making sure they remain on the dick that is plugging your hole(s) - also means getting another strain is not an issue. Makes more sense than starting treatment when it isn't necessary.

For someone who has already seen out the first few years of their initial infection, I really don't believe reinfection is an issue anyway.

How about abstinence? That would also work.

Clearly there are Pros / Cons to the treatment debate. This situation sounds like one in the pro bucket - someone is doing everything by the book and yet is facing the risk of reinfection.

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 10:14:47 am »

But abstinence is no damned fun! :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Boze

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 10:22:18 am »
But abstinence is no damned fun! :-\

Same can be said about condoms  ;D

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Nestor

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:47 pm »

Just when I was starting to cheer up a bit--now I'm really depressed.  For a day or two I've had something on the back of my mind, and this morning I got up the courage to check it out.  It's these articles by Dr. Sonnabend:

http://blogs.poz.com/joseph/archives/2010/03/cytomegalovirus_othe.html

http://blogs.poz.com/joseph/archives/2010/04/_hiv_infection_a_dis.html

http://blogs.poz.com/joseph/archives/2010/04/_hiv_infection_a_dis_1.html

They're all about how co-infection with other viruses can speed up HIV progression, and CMV is the star of the show.  A few quotes: 

"Cytomegalovirus (CMV) may be the most important of the herpesviruses that promote HIV disease progression."

"It is not only through their contributions to immune activation that herpes viruses promote HIV replication.   In addition to the pro-inflammatory cytokines that have this effect, herpes virus gene products can directly activate HIV if a cell is infected with both viruses.  This process, called transactivation works both ways; HIV can also activate herpes viruses.

In addition, herpes infections cause a receptor (Fc) to appear on cell surfaces that allows HIV to enter it.  In this way cells that do not possess CD4 molecules can become infected with HIV.   Active CMV infections can also exert a mildly immunosuppressive effect.

Herpesviruses, particularly CMV are singled out because they probably play a significant role in the pathogenesis of HIV disease."

And most chilling of all:

"CMV infections are so common that it is hard to find HIV infected individuals who are free from it so that they can be compared to those who are not.   But as early as 1991 this was done with HIV infected hemophiliac patients, when it was noted that those also infected with CMV had a much more rapid progression of their HIV disease."

To someone who's just been infected with CMV---this is terrifying stuff to read! 

Is there anything one can do?

It looks like I should change the title of this thread to "CMV".  Or "Re-infection and CMV: two excellent reasons not to have sex." 

Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »
I believe that's talking about active CMV infection. Like the acute illness you experienced, or when it becomes a problem in late-stage, untreated hiv infection.

For example, other herpes viruses like zoster or simplex can be latent, or dormant, in the system. They're considered active when they cause shingles or blisters. I'm thinking this may be the case here too. Worth looking into further.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »
CMV is nasty. My (deceased) ex died blind due to it. From the start in 1992,  I too tested positive for CMV, but managed to dodge getting sick from it. From 1998 through 2001, when I had no measurable CD4's and VL hovering in the upper 3millions, I had to go to the Ophthalmologist every 6 weeks for precautionary ocular dilated fundus examination. Thank heavens I was and remained clean.
Nowdays with a more than decent CD4 count, I only go in for an eye checkup every other year.

During my revolving hospital door days, I've met others who were not so lucky regarding CMV, as it can strike anywhere in the body.

You can go on making youself crazy about what may or may not happen, or you can relax and have your eyes periodically checked. If you ever get sick, and the ailment is not immediately known, have your doc's double check the CMV titers. Otherwise there is little you can do, other than start HAART and hope your CD4's rise to a safe level.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 02:34:18 pm »
Please remember that with the meds nowdays, we're only seeing death and blindness due to CMV in people who are diagnosed very late in infection, don't have access to meds or won't take them when indicated. For people who have access to meds and start treatment when they need to, CMV is not the horror story it was in the dark pre-HAART days.

Don't let yourself get worked up too much over CMV, Nestor. Remember, the majority of us poz people have it - including me.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 04:09:57 pm »

Clearly there are Pros / Cons to the treatment debate. This situation sounds like one in the pro bucket - someone is doing everything by the book and yet is facing the risk of reinfection.

Since you're a numbers maven:

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »
That's funny :)

But to be fair, it's orders of magnitude off. There have been about 100 billion people ever born. So the percentage should be more like 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% maybe more 9s
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
That's funny :)

But to be fair, it's orders of magnitude off. There have been about 100 billion people ever born. So the percentage should be more like 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% maybe more 9s

Comic license.

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »
Proper slogan would only fit on xxxl-size tshirts too
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Nestor

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 12:22:52 pm »
I believe that's talking about active CMV infection. Like the acute illness you experienced, or when it becomes a problem in late-stage, untreated hiv infection.

For example, other herpes viruses like zoster or simplex can be latent, or dormant, in the system. They're considered active when they cause shingles or blisters. I'm thinking this may be the case here too. Worth looking into further.

Well, I just spent a few hours re-reading the three Sonnabend articles.  (By the way, Dr. Sonnabend is just one of the most informative and interesting writers about HIV out there!  But sometimes it's a little difficult for me to follow the argument.)  Anyway, most of the article sounds as if he's simply talking about having CMV, any CMV, in your system, but then he writes: 

"Once acquired, CMV, as with all herpes viruses, remains present for life.  The infected individual will produce antibodies against the virus.  However not all those who are CMV antibody positive are actively infected as measured by detecting CMV virus itself in  blood or  body secretions by culturing it  or by techniques like PCR.  Periodic  reactivation however  does occur. 

Using such techniques it is possible to compare HIV disease progression in people with or without active CMV infections.

As early as 1986 an article published in  AIDS Research which I was then editing suggested a correlation of CMV viremia with a poor prognosis for HIV infected individuals.  Since then several additional studies have suggested the same thing.     

It is difficult to know what comes first; are active CMV infections accelerating HIV disease or is it the other way around?   It's most certainly both, and I'll address this later."

Later on he emphasizes the importance of using condoms for people with HIV--for the purpose of avoiding re-infection with active CMV, which would accelerate the progression of HIV!

Please remember that with the meds nowdays, we're only seeing death and blindness due to CMV in people who are diagnosed very late in infection, don't have access to meds or won't take them when indicated. For people who have access to meds and start treatment when they need to, CMV is not the horror story it was in the dark pre-HAART days.

Don't let yourself get worked up too much over CMV, Nestor. Remember, the majority of us poz people have it - including me.

Thanks a lot for the encouragement.  I've come around to being a bit less gloomy about things.  After all, this only means that I've joined the ranks of the vast majority of HIV+ people who already have CMV.  And if my body has dealt with HIV for close to six years now, it's hard to believe that it won't be able to manage another virus.  And yet, a few things are still making me nervous.  For one thing, this CMV must be pretty powerful stuff!  When I got HIV six years ago I went through some sero-conversion symptoms, but it was nothing like the past month! 

You're absolutely right; if you're making a list of pros and cons of starting HAART, this absolutely belongs on the pro side.  Someone on HAART does not have to worry about re-infection.  For me, however, it does not tip the balance.  When I do start HAART I suspect I will have other things to worry about, and being relieved of worry about re-infection does not appear to me to be a good enough reason to give myself those other worries prematurely.  (On the other hand, if I were planning to have lots of unsafe sex, then that would be a diferent story.) 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »
You're absolutely right; if you're making a list of pros and cons of starting HAART, this absolutely belongs on the pro side.  Someone on HAART does not have to worry about re-infection.  For me, however, it does not tip the balance.  When I do start HAART I suspect I will have other things to worry about, and being relieved of worry about re-infection does not appear to me to be a good enough reason to give myself those other worries prematurely.  (On the other hand, if I were planning to have lots of unsafe sex, then that would be a diferent story.) 

I actually posed this question theoretically in a thread where I was asking about HAART individuals being immune to reinfection because their daily dosing essentially acts as a PrEP dose.  Did you guys find some information confirming this hypothesis?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
Well couldn't one in theory be exposed to an HIV strain resistant to one's own HAART, and therefore be reinfected?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Nestor

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 01:17:29 am »
I actually posed this question theoretically in a thread where I was asking about HAART individuals being immune to reinfection because their daily dosing essentially acts as a PrEP dose.  Did you guys find some information confirming this hypothesis?

I remember when you said that.  I did not find information, but I found a lack of it.  Specifically, when I thought that re-infection was what had happened to me, I read all those articles in the page I linked to in my original post.  There are lots of cases of re-infection, but they're all among people not yet on HAART.  Unless I overlooked something (which is possible--I wasn't really reading with this question in mind) I did not see a single mention of someone on HAART getting re-infected.  Theoretically it seems it should be possible.  You're on atripla, you get re-infected with a strain that's resistant to atripla, and suddenly atripla doesn't work for you any more.  But I don't think I noticed a single mention of that sort of thing actually happening, and since that seems to be the definitive collection of articles on the subject, that suggests that it just doesn't happen. 

Well couldn't one in theory be exposed to an HIV strain resistant to one's own HAART, and therefore be reinfected?

It seems to me one could; I wonder why it doesn't happen. 

Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Offline Boze

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 08:12:05 am »

I think it would be next to impossible. For that to happen, the virus would have to develop mutations for each three components of the cocktail a person is taking - since, as far as i know, each drug targets a different part of the replication process.
I understand that there are viruses out there with individual mutations, but not across-the-board ones.

So if you face a mutated virus, you'd be effectively working against it with a dual or monotherapy as PEP. And I think that's sufficient to prevent infection.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Boze

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 08:39:23 am »
For me, however, it does not tip the balance.  When I do start HAART I suspect I will have other things to worry about, and being relieved of worry about re-infection does not appear to me to be a good enough reason to give myself those other worries prematurely.  (On the other hand, if I were planning to have lots of unsafe sex, then that would be a diferent story.) 

What do you expect to worry about when you start HAART? I've started myself this week actually.

I decided to come up with a short list of reasons to not start. What do you think - which are most important to you?

--Side effects that decrease quality of life today
--Unfelt effects on the body that may manifest themselves years later
--Having to take the pill every day for foreseeable future
--Affordability issues
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline veritas

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 11:07:29 am »

bozel,

You said: "I think it would be next to impossible. For that to happen, the virus would have to develop mutations for each three components of the cocktail a person is taking - since, as far as i know, each drug targets a different part of the replication process."

It's very possible ! There are plenty of people in these forums whose virus' have mutations against all components of the cocktail ( by the way, there are at least 5 components to various medications ie: RT,NNrt, PI, integrase,ccr5 inhibitors). These resistent strains can be transmitted from one poz to another. If anyone is willing to role the dice and take that chance, the consequences could literally be deadly. Let's not kid ourselves.
http://aids.about.com/od/treatmentquestions/f/resistinfect.htm

v

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:56 am »
bozel,

You said: "I think it would be next to impossible. For that to happen, the virus would have to develop mutations for each three components of the cocktail a person is taking - since, as far as i know, each drug targets a different part of the replication process."

It's very possible ! There are plenty of people in these forums whose virus' have mutations against all components of the cocktail ( by the way, there are at least 5 components to various medications ie: RT,NNrt, PI, integrase,ccr5 inhibitors). These resistent strains can be transmitted from one poz to another. If anyone is willing to role the dice and take that chance, the consequences could literally be deadly. Let's not kid ourselves.

v

This is of course if you think reinfection can happen.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 11:12:57 am »
bozel,

v

How cute my first accidental double post, can some mod delete this second please?  Thanks if you can, np if you can't

Offline veritas

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:14 am »
This is of course if you think reinfection can happen.

What makes you think it hasn't happened?

"
Hi, Is there any evidence that HIV-reinfection does occur? I have been repeatedly asked if 2 HIV positive individuals have unprotected sex, is there any risk of them acquiring each others strains/resistance patterns? Thanks, Cyrus Badshah, MD

On Aug 13, 2002 Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. replied:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely. In fact, the most convincing case was presented by Bruce Walker at the Barcelona last month. He reported on a patient who was diagnosed and treated within weeks of infection. The patient then went through some STI cycles, leaving him with strong HIV-specific CTL and CD4 responses. Despite this excellent HIV-specific immunity, he developed a flu-like illness shortly after a high-risk sexual exposure. His viral load went up and he had a decline in his HIV-specific CD4 response. The rebounding virus was analyzed and was found to be different from his original isolate, with only 88% homology by phylogenetic analysis, clearly indicating reinfection. If there was any doubt as to whether this can happen, I think this case put it to rest. It also led to considerable consternation, given the troubling implications it has for vaccine development."

v

Offline Boze

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2010, 11:21:16 am »
bozel,

v

Thank you for the clarification - so such virus strains are out there. What are these people doing as treatment if they have something like that?
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2010, 11:25:27 am »
Sorry I should've been more specific.  If you believe reinfection occurs outside of an acute infection stage.  It's difficult to pin down who is reinfected and I'm a little confused on how it is that they test for reinfection considering the test for HIV isn't for the virus itself but for the antibodies to it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.