Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:07:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 606
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Law & Order SVU - Another HIV-centric episode  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Law & Order SVU - Another HIV-centric episode
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:45:46 am »
While browsing through my DVR I saw that tomorrow's episode of "SUV" (as my mum always calls it) will be called "Quickie," and that it focuses on Benson and Stabler trying to find some guy who is "knowingly" infecting women with HIV. 

I know Betty and I (as fans of the show) will be watching this one.   I just hope that they don't end up demonising HIV+ people. Network TV never seems to get this topic right (just the other night they had a re-run of an episode of CSI called "Snuff;" it was so poor that I wanted to throw something at my TV).
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Law & Order SVU - Another HIV-centric episode
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:41:56 am »
Oooh, I didn't see the ad for it.  It's on tonight?  I'll check the t.v. listings later on.  I will be watching it, and I hope they handle the subject with taste.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of SVU lately, but I love the show.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:15:50 pm »
Law & Order SVU is one of my favorite shows, second to the NBC comedies on Thursday evening. However, given LBTM's mom's wonderful malapropism...I would LOVE to see a Law & Order SUV series---all the vehicles, crime venues, mobile labs, etc. could be in SUVs. Venue-driven (or driven venue) drama series! Only kidding.  ;) Hey, with the way network television is tanking, it's possible it could be the new biggest loser, er, guzzler.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
Oooh, I didn't see the ad for it.  It's on tonight?  I'll check the t.v. listings later on.  I will be watching it, and I hope they handle the subject with taste.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of SVU lately, but I love the show.

Try to catch it Betty. It's been pretty good lately. The bitchy DA lady got fired after showing up drunk as a skunk for a pretty sensitive trial. Also, Alex is back (and got readded to the cast).

Em, A good idea for a SUV version of the show would be to base in Jersey (with the kids from Ms. P's favourite show as part of the cast) :)

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:57:15 pm »
Just watched it, and while it was pretty good drama I'm saddened by a couple of the quotes..

Dr, Warner- "Even if she had lived, she might have died young"

When the creep spits on Olivia she says " you tried to infect me too"

Was this script written in the 80's? Last time I checked you can't infect someone from spitting on them, nor is HIV a death sentence in which everyone dies young.

Just more misinformation for the masses in primetime *sigh*

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »
I just watched it  and both of those quotes bothered me too.  The spitting remark probably had to do with the people who got time in jail for spitting on a cop down south somewhere.

It had some good and not so good points but overall, I thought it got some good points across.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:57:15 pm »
I agree... the remark that the M.E. made about dying young was inaccurately depressing.  Seems like the media loves to say this when including HIV+ characters.  The CSI episode that I mentioned before had a remark to the effect of "she was living on borrowed time."  I also recall a 'Grey's Anatomy' story with a pregnant HIVer who did not want to have the baby 'cause she was not going to be around to see her grow up.  I guess the mainstream still gives us just a couple of years.  Then again they may make sound this harsh so that the average Joe and Jane out there doesn't go on thinking that this is no longer an issue.

The spitting remark from Olivia was seriously odd.  But, as Snow said, it may have been an allusion to this "bio-terrorist" ignorant mentality that exists out there.

I did however like the fact that both parties had to assume responsibility for the infection.  It was a swift reminder that in the end (while the guy was being an evil prick) the infected person was a victim of a poor decision.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:49:17 am »
I missed it.  I just couldn't stay awake long enough (I get up at 4:30 on days I have to work).  Hopefully they'll run it again at some point, and I can catch it then.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:17 am »
Sadly, I missed it, too. Turn the tube on right as the end credits rolled. This spitting comment sounds like a letter should be written to the producers/writers.

It could have been much more cutting-edge, thought-provoking (educational) and STIGMA-busting, if ole Olivia had said " Nice try. You think spitting on me is gonna infect? You lose... again." or something along those lines.  She could have even said " You oughta study up on your disease, spitting on me is like me shooting you with blanks."

edited to add: okay, I'm motivated. I'll write later today. Would POZ editorial staff consider writing to the show?

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:38:25 am »
I have to agree with Will a couple of the comments were out there and more research should have been done by the producers. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:42:06 am »

I did however like the fact that both parties had to assume responsibility for the infection. It was a swift reminder that in the end (while the guy was being an evil prick) the infected person was a victim of a poor decision
I agree. I was waiting anxiously for them to tie that in. For a moment It looked as though they were going to totally ignore the fact that these women made very poor decisions by having unprotected sex with a stranger. Perhaps for the general public this was the biggest lesson to take away from this episode....that you HAVE to protect yourself.

It could have been much more cutting-edge, thought-provoking (educational) and STIGMA-busting, if ole Olivia had said " Nice try. You think spitting on me is gonna infect? You lose... again." or something along those lines. She could have even said " You oughta study up on your disease, spitting on me is like me shooting you with blanks."
That's perfect, and it would have fit into the storyline/drama just as well if not better!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »
Again Will you are right.  II wasn't sure after watching it if I liked it or not, but for entertainment it wasn't bad, I am wondering if the "are you trying to infect me" comment by Olivia was suppose to be taken sarcastically rather than literally, she did wipe her face and go on with her day afterwards never bring it up, calling attention to it, or anything like that.  I would like to think the writers meant that as sarcasm against the other character.
Hopefully the show will bring about some discussions on HIV, risk, safe sex and so on amoung people who would not normally approach the subject.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:05:50 pm »
Very true, Sebastian.  It may have been intended as a sarcastic remark (the fact that they never touched on it again is a good point).  The problem is that most neggies and/or worried-wells out there probably wouldn't realise it as such.   I won't be surprised if we soon see a question in the "Am I Infected" forum with the heading "crazy dude spat on me, help Andy and Ann!!!!!!!"  :)

It probably woulda made more sense if phrased in the way that emeraldize mentioned.

One other thing I actually appreciated about this episode was the fact that it focused on heterosexual individuals. 

Oh, and that iPhone app that they used to track the perpetrator was obviously the same one that I have seen many queens down here in Miami when hunting for booty.  I forget its name... I didn't know that there were versions of it for straight folks.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:42:36 pm »
Oh, and that iPhone app that they used to track the perpetrator was obviously the same one that I have seen many queens down here in Miami when hunting for booty.  I forget its name... I didn't know that there were versions of it for straight folks.

Are you talking about those dating lines that you can call?   Embarassed to admit it, but I met my ex-wife 13 years ago on one of those.... actually I met a lot of women through it.  I use to really like the no strings attatched feature.  Women are just as much horn dogs as us men... damn those were some fun times.... well except the one time I met up with the 300 lb monster who broke the door on my 94 Honda Accord.  She had on this sweatsuit that had to be made out of a parachute.  She offered to pay for the room and everything, but I quickly shifted my route to a local park, let her eat her double whopper and took her ass back home. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:48 pm »
Are you talking about those dating lines that you can call?   Embarassed to admit it, but I met my ex-wife 13 years ago on one of those.... actually I met a lot of women through it.  I use to really like the no strings attatched feature.  Women are just as much horn dogs as us men... damn those were some fun times.... well except the one time I met up with the 300 lb monster who broke the door on my 94 Honda Accord.  She had on this sweatsuit that had to be made out of a parachute.  She offered to pay for the room and everything, but I quickly shifted my route to a local park, let her eat her double whopper and took her ass back home. 

LMFAO, you need to write some sort of memoirs...

Nah, it's some app called "Grindr" (I had too google that one)... it supposedly shows available sexual partners in your vicinity (they say it's for "dating," but who the heck are they kidding). 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 12:02:37 am »
I do declare you hotmessanthropic, comedic, unrealized writer....I'm stifling my guffaws so as not to awaken others in the house..because of what? The hijackedupedness Skeebism du jour..."well except the one time I met up with the 300 lb monster who broke the door on my 94 Honda Accord.  She had on this sweatsuit that had to be made out of a parachute.  She offered to pay for the room and everything, but I quickly shifted my route to a local park, let her eat her double whopper and took her ass back home. "

The line that for some quirkball reason is making me laugh harder each time I read it (heavy, er, on the visuals) is in bold. Perhaps it's because I've skydived and that's just a crapload of fabric.

Love to end the day laughing.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 12:17:05 am »

I once had a 85 Cutlass Supreme.... oh never mind!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 04:30:15 am »
Not only does mainstream media put out that fear of dying young.  My ex bf manipulated me majorly with that - ("It's my last chance to xzy... I need this or that cause I won't be around for very long.... etc et) when he seroconverted, and I totally bought into it, even though I should have known better.

Live... and learn.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.