Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:35:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 164
Total: 165

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: starting with Meds today...what should I expect?  (Read 5963 times)

Offline traveler

starting with Meds today...what should I expect?
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:01:03 am »
Hi guys,
Well, after two years of not having to begin on meds, the day has come and I swallow my first batch this afternoon at 3.00...  I'm going on a once-a-day regimen of Reyataz, Norvir, Emtriva and Viread.  Anyone else out there had/has this combination?  What should I expect of the short term?  Will I get nauseated right away?  Will I get diarrhea right away? 

I know what the side effects are, but I don't know what the timeline is generally.  Do most people get reactions immediately upon beginning? or does this happen over a period of days/weeks?

Any personal stories would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Offline Robert

Re: starting with Meds today...what should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:01 am »
Hi Traveler.

I'm on the same combo; Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada.  Truvada is Epivir and Viread combined.  Epivir and Emtreva are practically the same.  You might want to ask your Dr. about Truvada.  The price is about the same.  One less pill.  One less co-pay.

Anyway,  it's relatively benign.  Some yellowing of the skin and eyes but that only lasts a few weeks.  After 2 1/2 years of this regimine, the only real long-term effects are depression, general feeling of  malaise or ennui, and dreams.  Of course, these might be the effects of the virus.  I've never gotten a clear answer.

Depression was never a part of my life.  Now it shadows me like a viper.

It's highly effective.  My VL went from 500,000 to undetectable in 3 months.  My T-cells are at like 30%, which is good.

On the whole, I think you'll be happy.

robert

Offline traveler

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 01:22:40 am »
Thanks, Robert.
I live in Europe, and Truvada hasn't as yet been approved, although they expect it to be confirmed in the coming months.  At that time, I'll go on that...that's my doctor's plan.

Well, I've been on an anti-depressant for two years, since I found out about my status.  I hope that this regimen doesn't bring me back down into the depths.   

Glad to hear that you've had success otherwise with it.  I've feared this day for so long, but now that it's here, I feel like I'm just ready to begin...It feels no different that having to take any other kind of pill that I've had during my life...the only thing is that this will be for the rest of my life...

Thanks again.
Dan

Offline naftalim

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:06:45 am »
I am not on that combo. However, I have now been on meds almost 1 year. At first, I was scared that I would have all kinds of problems based on the description of possible side effects. However, other than some bloating here and there, there have been no real problems. I am on a Pfizer study and its going very well. I did switch from AZT/3TC to Tenofivir/3TC as the AZT was making me tired.

Possible side effects are different for everyone, but there are enough combos out there that you can find the one that works best for you. Once you have been on meds for a bit, you will find that your energy gets better and you will feel better. Excerciise helps a lot. All the best.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:24:37 am »
I started meds just a few months ago and I have found it quite helpful to keep a daily diary of sorts - how I'm feeling (mentally/physically), what the weather is like, the activities I engage in, the timing of medication, and sundry ad hoc commentary which often includes what I eat and the state of my gastric processes. After I swallowed my first batch of pills, I felt as though I'd officially arrived in "the club". One thing is certain, despite the mild side effects, my health has been improving greatly and that's the goal of medication!

Best wishes.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 10:32:28 am »
Truvada is available in Europe. Or at least in Spain.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 10:39:02 am »
Traveler, I havent been on those drugs but I wish you the very best.

Offline BeachNYC

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 11:36:30 am »
Hey Traveller:

There is absolutely nothing to fear! I was fearful, but soon found myself feeling empowered, finally taking steps to fight this invader. I'm on Truvada, Reyataz & Norvir, and I can honestly say that I have not noticed any side effects whatsoever. None. And I tend to have allergic reactions to virtually any drug. My doctor prescribed this regimen, knowing of my tendency to react, and it's been very easy to adjust to it. And, as you can see below, it's been remarkably effective, in just the few weeks I've been on it.

So take those pills with some confidence. They can do great things for you.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

Robert 
BeachNYC

Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - started 5/13/2006
5/13/2006 - CD4 186; VL 52,000
5/30/2006 - CD4 117; VL 56,400 - (Somethin ain't right!)
6/19/2006 - CD4 295  VL 113
7/21/2006 - CD4 245  VL <50

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:42:40 am »
I have been on the Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada combo since Dec 04. The only side effect I can say I've experienced is depression. I don't really consider that a side effect because I was depressed before I ever started that combination. Good luck with the new "cocktail".

Dan

Offline traveler

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 02:01:31 am »
Hey everyone...thanks for the info and support.  Started yesterday and so far, so good.

Blondbeauty...yes..Truvada has been approved by some countries in the EC, but not all yet.  I live in the Netherlands, and Truvada is expected to be registered by the fall of this year.

Depression?  Hmmm, that makes me sad... ;)   No, well, I'm already on an antidepressant (Efexor XR) and I hear from my pharmacist that (hmmm, I forgot which one of the drugs in my cocktail) one of those actually increases the effectiveness of Efexor and that I should talk to my doctor about lowering the dosage because of it.  I think I'll just keep it as is and hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.