Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:11:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 241
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Aids @ 25 article that I've been looking for  (Read 7641 times)

Offline Iggy

The Aids @ 25 article that I've been looking for
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:11:28 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:50:25 pm by Iggy »

Offline ademas

Re: The Aids @ 25 article that I've been looking for
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:16:07 pm »
Hi Iggy.
Is it possible to c&p the article here?
That would be very cool.
xox

Offline Iggy

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:17:35 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:49:53 pm by Iggy »

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:30:39 pm »
Wow,

We read so much encapsulation of the different eras of AIDS.  We see the 80's and death.  We have the 90's and death with some hope.  We reach the new millennium and we see more hope and death.

What are we missing here?

Great article.  Someone who can attest to 25 years with true understanding.

Offline Trish

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:37:28 pm »
Bummer... Had I known you were going to c&p it, I wouldn't have registered with NY Times site.  Oh well...

WOW!!! What an article...

Straight and to the point.  No bullshit! 

Brought tears to my eyes because of the reality of it all... I guess it's time we look at HIV as a virus, because that's truly what it is.  A freaking virus, that yes, can one day kill us in one way or another.  And there are plenty of other viruses that kill too, what's so different about HIV/AIDS? ???

Thanks for posting this Iggy.  It sends a very powerful message...I'm glad you shared it with us.  You've given me some food for thought.  You know what?  I needed this article too...Thanks! :) :-*
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 03:17:40 pm »

Yeah, I think that article is what nobody is willing to say. I appreciate that when my doc diagnosed me he told me I was going to live to be an old man and die from something else. There is some truth to that. And my therapist would always look on the bright side of the meds, 'I know people that take them like they're vitamins'. I guess I also appreciate that they both use to work in an AIDS clinic prior to HAART. How could things not look so much brighter to them. But truth is truth. There are definitely some uncertainties that can cause alot of worry for a newly diagnosed person. And it all seems just as random as getting the disease. Some do great. Some do fine. Some struggle. And it could just boil down to some random mutations that lean one way or the other. It starts to make my head spin. It's difficult to not feel like everything is so tenuous. What truly lies ahead? What if my virus already has some resistance? What if the meds make me sick? Or change how I look? Right now all I can do is hope that when the time comes I'll be able to take the most advanced first line therapy with minimal side effects. I've read the history. I feel fortunate to have this option, but it definitely doesn't seem like a pannocia of happiness.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the immune therapy trials in SF. A whole new approach is definitely needed.

OP

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:39:48 pm »
The vigorous man next to him, muscles bulging out of his shirt, is also in disguise. Ten years ago he was dying of AIDS, and now we think he still is, although we cannot be absolutely sure. His blood tests are terrible: his immune system in a shambles, the virus in his blood resistant to all the drugs we have.

Yet, for reasons no one can explain, he continues to thrive on these drugs, with no side effects.

Would someone please explain the above to me????? If he's "resistant", how is that consistent with "thrive"? How is "shambles" consistent with "thrive"? Are they talking about OI's??

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:45 pm »
some people can look and act and feel remarkably 'normal' at even extremely low cd4's....we've heard it time and time again... people didn't know they were sick until, one day, they wound up in a hospital...  it's kind of like teetering on a cliff.... a strong wind might push him over it any second with an inevitable crash.... till then, he goes on living.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 06:43:10 pm »
some people can look and act and feel remarkably 'normal' at even extremely low cd4's....we've heard it time and time again... people didn't know they were sick until, one day, they wound up in a hospital...  it's kind of like teetering on a cliff.... a strong wind might push him over it any second with an inevitable crash.... till then, he goes on living.

oh okay. thanks. i myself might have been one of those who "knew" they were sick but when i looked in the mirror i saw a normal person and i didnt want to face the reality of starting HAART ...sort of like a reverse anorexia image distortion with the mirror thing with me. people noticed my weight loss but i did not until i stepped on a damn scale

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:00 pm »
Hi there,

I have stated this before. For me, It was the fatigue that first became noticible. This started occuring probably as far back as 2001.( also about 16 years into infection) It was mild at that time and not uncomfortable. Then it turned into long periods of sleep.( once again not uncomfotable, and sleeping long hours, like a baby.

Then the constant  weight loss. 30 pound drop in 10 months. I went into denial, blaming it on everything else ( particularly GERD) Acid reflux...

Finally friends started saying, your losing too much weight. Reality then kicks in again. I could barely eat anything. Had an upper endoscopy done, to be told that I had the worst case of esophogeal thrush, that the doctor had ever seen. That was in July of 2003. Had Bacterial pneumonia around September of 2003, and started on meds in October of 03.

I didn't realize how bad I looked, until I started looking at pictures, from 2002-2003. My current pictures of today, compared to 2003, are like night and day.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:30:17 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 04:02:33 pm »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:48:51 pm by Iggy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.