Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:13:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I was just diagnosed and I am going nuts.  (Read 8416 times)

Offline barbch2

I was just diagnosed and I am going nuts.
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:43 pm »
Truly, I mean truly, how long am I going to live with this? I am on Atripla and my cd4 has doubled since I have taken it, and it has only been one month, but how long is it going to last where everything is fine? How long am I going to live with this? My doctor says I will live just as long as anybody else, but for some reason I do not belive her, can anybody who knows a lot about this tell me whats the truth?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: I was just diagnosed and I am going nuts.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:34 pm »
How long is a piece of string? There really is no simple answer. Everyone reacts to this virus and even the meds used to treat it a little differently. Chances are really, really good that  you will live a normal or nearly normal lifespan. But as with anything, there are more variables than I can list.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:31 pm »
Chances are really, really good that  you will live a normal or nearly normal lifespan.

+ 100. In all likelihood you'll be fine and live a long life. Stay adherent with your prescribed meds, take care of yourself, and try not to obsess over the future. I know for me that the first six months/year were the toughest mentally. The meds worked well and quickly were able to suppress my virus. It took a while to wrap my head around the diagnosis though.

You took a great first step in admitting your fears for the future. Keep coming back and let us know how you're doing. It does get better in the long run.

Toad
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:27:18 pm »
Welcome to the Forums Barbch2 .

I have had HIV for so long I forget how long . I'm 48 and have had HIV for over half my life that I know of . It takes a while but things will get easier I promise .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »
As long as you pay attention to where the buses are when you cross the road and otherwise take care of yourself, you can expect to live as long as anyone else. Like JK said, how long is a piece of string? He stole that line from me anyway. ;D

Welcome to the forum.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Can't really add much to what the guys have already said, as they have said everyone is different and there are no set answers on our life expectancy, many will agree that survival can be several decades or longer if there are continued improvements in treatment.

There are some factors which can determine how long we live with HIV..if you abide by them:

..Look after yourself emotionally and physically.
..Making the right desicions around treatment.
..Finding out how well the treatments will work for you.

These are just some of the things you can do to improve your health..it's up to you on how much control you take for your own health and welfare.

Like the guys said, "how long is a piece of string"..I stole that from JK also who apparently stole it from Ann... :o

Take care
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Gio

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:43:02 pm »
The keye for a long fruitfull life is adherence and from i gathered from the lts group is enjoy and live life cry and lagh as much as you want... I too started atripla just over a month and there are days that i just wonder then i begin to laugh and gratefull for the moments that i have.. You never know what tomorrow will bring but you have already taken the biggest step of your life now its upto you..  The folks on this site are your greatest support whenever you ask or need it...

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:32 pm »
Hi barbch2:
Welcome to the forums --- I agree with what everyone else has said -
I am a firm believer that attitude also goes a long way towards having good health.  I was diagnosed just over two years ago and have been on meds for just over a year.  I try my best to maintain a positive attitude.  I make sure that I get rest when I need rest, get out and have fun when I need to get out and have fun, share with others my hapiness and my frustrations, and live each moment - as much as possible - not like it is the last, but like it is the first.

One of my favorite songs is Seasons of Love from RENT - "525,600 minutes..... how do you measure, measure a year?  In sunsets, in daylights, in cups of coffee....."

Enjoy life --- with today's treatments; taking good care of one's self; and keeping  positive attitude - you can probably expect to have an average lifespan.  I am still trying to figure out the "how long is a string" saying ---- that, in and of itself, should keep me occupied for a pretty long time.  ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »
I just wanted to confirm what everybody already said.  It'll take a while, but you eventually learn that quality is greater than quantity.  I was infected shortly after starting college and now  am in my 40's.  Welcome to the forums.

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »
Hi Barb,

You're actually doing better than you may realize right now. It takes time to get adjusted to the changes in your life. And at some point you're just going to realize that life IS going on. Remember you have supportive and experienced friends here whom you can always talk to about anything that is on your mind. And I mean ANYTHING.

As for how long is a piece of string, next time I am going to patent my inventions. They all stole that one from me.*

*I'm lying, so what who cares.   
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:47:33 pm »
Hey Barb, I see you've been online since you posted this thread, but you haven't responded. Is everything ok? Talk to us. We're here for you.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Blond37

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:34 pm »

i am co-infected (hiv and hep C).. i freaked when i got the hep c diagnosis (got the hiv one 4-2004..hep 4-2009.. yea april isnt a good month).. LOL.. anyway my gastro doc said i'd die from getting hit by a bus before i die of hep.. and being co-infected.. poses problems.. both times.. i cried for a few hours and then was like ok i'm over this.. i gotta go on and i want to live a long life.. i take my hiv meds like a good boy and they work..

did they genotype yur virus etc
Check me out in Poz magazine page 42, June 2010 :)

Offline barbch2

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:22:52 am »
Yeah I am on here, I just have a hard time logging onto here. I always have to refer back to my initial e mail to click activate, and then it lets me in, the password that I chose does not work for some reason.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:34:46 am »

*I'm lying, so what who cares.   

Andy, you do realize that when I read that, I put you in a Joy Behar costume. My morning OJ makes my keyboard sticky when I do a spit-take :)

And thanks for checking back in, Barb. You are doing stunningly well. It's the people who DON'T go a little crazy at first that really worry me. I took a leisurely six months to be isolated, depressed, and more or less a total nutjob when I was first diagnosed. I was lucky to have goof friends and a good family to help me through.

Failing everything else, you have this bunch <grin>. We are lewd, rude, crude, and generally eat with our collective fingers. But a more loyal and supportive crowd is not to be found anywhere else on the internet.

Ann and Andy are shining stars in an already glittering sea, and you can take just about any advice Matty gives you to the bank.  I am honored to call these people friends, and thrilled that you have found this place.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:10 am »
Yeah I am on here, I just have a hard time logging onto here. I always have to refer back to my initial e mail to click activate, and then it lets me in, the password that I chose does not work for some reason.

I've sent you a Personal Message about this. If you don't know how to access your PMs, look at the links under your name in the top-left-hand column of any forum page. Click on the first one that says "PM".

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.