Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:02:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 237
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I think i am destined to have this virus  (Read 13006 times)

Offline IndianMale

I think i am destined to have this virus
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:56:10 am »
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate if you could read through my story below and tell me if I have a probability of getting HIV!

I am a 28 male from India.I am a heterosexual.I dont have any History of homosexual relations and IV drug abuse.

Here are the points that are worrying me:-

1) In early 2000 I had sex with a prostitute without a condom.

2) In 2004 I had sex with a prostitute with a condom but she bled heavily on the condom.

3) From 2004 to 8th April 2006 I had sex with different prostitutes but all incidents were protected with a condom and lasted around 2 to 5 minutes.

All incidents were insertive vaginal sex and sometimes oral also.

Here is my testing History:-

1) I got tested for HIV and hepatitis on 24th May 2006 (after approx 7 weeks from 8th April) from two different clinics and the results were

ImmunoBlot = negative
MEIA = negative
EIA = negative.

2) I got tested for HIV on 4th November 2006 (after approx 6 monts and 3 weeks from 8th April ) by ELISA and the test was non reactive.

3) I got tested for Syphillis on 4th November 2006 (after approx 6 monts and 3 weeks from 8th April ) by RPR and the test was non reactive.

My questions are :-

1) Do I need any further testing for HIV and Syphillis?

2) Can I be sure I am HIV negative?

3) Can I still seroconvert and turn HIV positive?

4)The lab techinician told me that these tests will cover even if i had an exposure 14 days back. Is this true ?

some more concerns are :-

The condoms that I have used on prostitutes were all supplied by them.Now what if those condoms were expired or were kept in conditions not suitable for their storage e.g. heat etc.
Can the risk of getting HIV increase by using such condoms?

I am also worried about the quality of the condoms.
Does the risk of getting HIV increase by using inferiror condoms?

I dont know if the condoms worked properly thats why I am very worried !!!!

I want to go ahead and test again.when should be the right time?

Thanks
Love u all !

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please help - Am I infected ? - (first post)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 12:00:42 pm »
You are HIV negative and you do not need to retest. When a condom fails you will know it. Continue to use condoms and keep having safer sex.

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:29:55 pm »
Hi Rapid,

I still have some concerns ...

The condoms that I have used on prostitutes were all supplied by them.Now what if those condoms were expired or were kept in conditions not suitable for their storage e.g. heat etc.

Can the risk of getting HIV increase by using such condoms?

How much time does one take to seroconvert ? There is a lot of confusion regarding the Window Period for HIV. Also i have re occuring throat infections.I have always had them and had them before the encoutner as well. Since April 2006 I have been living in constant fear of HIV,AIDS and death.It reached a point where i could not take it any more and I began testing.

But I am so guilty of my actions. I hate it the way people look at me when they draw blood for HIV testing.

And what about Syphillis testing ? Shall i continue that. I did not see any doctor regarding HIV so far.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:46:36 pm »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You ARE HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Since you have also tested negative for syphilis at more than six months, that's a reliable result as well.

Sex workers don't want to catch HIV. There's no rational reason to believe the condoms you received from them were not reliable. If it will make you feel better then bring your own in the future. Condoms provide very effective protection whether you are with a professional or a civilian. Just make sure you wear one everytime.

As far as your symptoms are concerned, they have nothing to do with HIV. Discuss them with your doctor if they continue.

This is not an HIV situation.

In general we do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least once a year and every six months is even better. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline IndianMale

I think i am destined to have this virus
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:36:46 am »
After breathing a sigh of relief... testing negative at 7 months i think i have challeneged fate once more  :(

Just 7 hrs before i had sex with a pros..

I used a condom.She was on top. I never wanted to have insertive sex but she forced herself on top of me.i pushed her off after about half a minute.She then gave me a hand job with the condom on. Things that are worrying me are :-

1.Some watery fluid was on my thigh and it soldified there.i think it was from the condom.

2.i think the condom broke.

3.i think i may have gotten in contact with her vaginal fluid that was on the condom while i was taking the condom off.

Right now :-

1) my back aches and i have got cold feet.my leg aches and i feel like shit

2) right after i came in the condom i sweat heavily.

3) Over all i am full of Lethargy with a slight stomachache.

Can i take any meds so hiv does not spread in my body ?

Please help i am so scared and think i am infected this time. what can i do i dont wanna die

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: I think i am destined to have this virus
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:24:51 pm »
Well, you can stop feeling sorry for yourself for starters.

It doesn't read to me as if the condom broke when you were in the woman. When a condom breaks it is not a subtle event. It really falls apart. So as far as I can tell you had protected intercourse. That means you are not risk for HIV during this incident.

As for whether her vaginal secretions got onto your thigh or hands or wherever that's all totally irrelevant. That's not how HIV is transmitted, even IF the woman you were with is HIV+, and you don't know that to be so.

So what we're really talking about here is more of you indulging in personal drama. "Take meds so HIV doesn't spread in your body"? That's more ridiculousness. Ditto with your sudden "symptoms."

If you can't let go of all of this emotionality then I suggest you see a mental health professional. Then you could discuss what the source of all of this totally unwarranted concern is about, because it has no reality basis whatsoever in HIV science.

Andy Velez

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 09:55:49 am »
Hi Andy,

I respect you and your knowledge.You have been very straight forward with your answers and i know you always try to help me out.Yesterday i had a chat with jfriend and he was very helpful too.But my causes of concern are :-

1.The condom was not all the way down to the base of the penis.

2.i have small pimples on penis can HIV have entered the body through them.

Please help me Andy and other folks.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:59:31 am »
You only needed the condom to cover the head of your penis inwhich it did. Having pimples on the base of your penis doesn't not influence or change the answers you've been given. You did not have a risk for HIV.

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 10:02:27 am »
Hi Rapid,

Shall i go in for any kind of HIV testing. What is my risk. Tell me straight out please dont hide anything from me.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 10:06:02 am »
How much straighter of an answer will it take? You didn't have a risk, so you don't need to test. Period....

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:09:41 am »
i am sorry i am going through a lot of emotional trauma here. i just worried about the pimples... and i think the condom had a small hole in its side. i dont know what a condom break is... i am sorry i just need help and support..jfriend was right the thoughts will keep coming back only time will heal my trauma..

i feel like shit my back aches and my feet keep getting numb no apetite what so ever i wish i could kill my self

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 10:14:17 am »
That crap is all in your head. Seek out the help of a mental health professional. There is nothing more we can help you with on this forum.

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 10:15:49 am »
i have most of the symptoms i am feeling like shit right now

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 01:38:33 pm »
Discuss your physical symptoms with your doctor including the pimples on your penis. None of it has anything to do with HIV because you didn't have any risk for HIV. Period. End of story.

As for all of your worries, you're convincing me that it would be worth your while to see a therapist or other mental health professional to discuss what's going on.

You don't have an HIV problem. You have a problem ABOUT HIV. There's a big difference.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 05:46:14 pm »
Indian,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 09:36:42 am »
Hi Andy,Rod and Ann,

Ann - Thanks for merging the threads.I am sorry if i violated the forum rules aplogize for that.

Andy and Rod - I admit the fact that I am having a mental problem about HIV.Unluckily after having mental peace on getting a negative result after 7 months of a protected incident I am again in mental turmoil since the 19th of November. I believe you when you say that i did not have any risk. But the cause of worry is this :-

If HIV is difficult to pass on from a woman to a man during insertive vaginal intercourse how come so many people in my country (India) have the virus. Here most of the infections are due to heterosexual activities.

I am just asking this coz I am willing to help and spread the word about HIV prenvention among my friends and society.There are people here who believe in all kind of myths and superstitions.

I have a learned a lot by reading the forum postings on this website. You people are doing a great job.

I wish you the best of health always. Thanks for having patience with me.

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 12:19:10 pm »
Can someone Please Please answer me

If HIV is difficult to pass on from a woman to a man during insertive vaginal intercourse how come so many people in my country (India) have the virus. Here most of the infections are due to heterosexual activities.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
Indian,

The odds are in the insertive partner's favour of not becoming infected from a one time unprotected incident. However, many people have multiple exposures. Also, we never said it was without risk. It is possible to become infected from one time, but it's just not that likely.

You did not become infected from your any of your sexual activities and you have the negative hiv test results to prove it. You do not have hiv. If you insist on using this forum to continue to doubt your negative results, I will have to give you a time out to encourage you to get face-to-face help with your sexual anxieties. We cannot do that for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IndianMale

I think i am safe ? Test Results are in
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 10:57:39 am »
Hi,

Just a quick summary

Encounter :- Few minutes (2 minutes to 5 minutes) of sex with a professional sex worker with a condom on.Encounter took place on November 19 2006.

Concern :- 1. Condom not all the way down to the base of the penis

2. I think the condom had a small hole on its side ()

Results :-  NEGATIVE for HIV1 and HIV2 at 7 weeks (DAY 51)

Concerns :- Am I safe ? Can I relax. (For the past 7 weeks i have been monitoring my body temperature each day!) I asked them for a 3rd generation ELISA.But when the report came back it said on it "conducted through Screening Method".

Questios :- Do i need further testing. i tested today for mental peace.

How accurate and reliable was the test that was conducted.

They conducted the test in under an hour. Is that possible ?

Please Help !

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 11:00:16 am »
You think there was a hole in the condom. I think I won a millon dollars. You don't think you know. Doesn't matter if the condom was down only half way. You didn't need a test and you sure don't need to retest.

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 11:05:59 am »
RapidRod i believe every post that you ,Andy and Ann type here.

But please try to understand my situation i was worried like hell.

Please help me ? is it possible to conduct that test under one hour ?

I asked for a thrid generation ELISA and the report said "conducted by screening method".

I will never have sex with a prostitute again. i have spent the last 1 year testing for HIV over my two protected encounters (given in the thread ABOVE ^^)  Condoms were provided with them.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
What part didn't you understand, THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE A RISK?? Is that so hard to understand?

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 12:28:16 pm »
Rapid I  am sorry. I know i have bugged you guys. please i am sorry but answer just one question

What kind of test is the "Screening Method" ? Can it be done in under an hour ? I had asked for 3rd generation ELISA but they did this test.

again i apologise.maybe it is my anxiety coupled with guilt that is troubling me. I am working on it honestly I am but till them i do need your support here guys.... this website is the only thing I trust on the internet !!

Thanks very much for helping me out and being there when i needed you !

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »
I'll have to let Rod or one of the others give you the full answer because I don't know all of the different types of tests.  I do wonder two things, though:  How is it so many of you folks don't have a handle on basic safe sex and risk concepts, but know of about every type of test under the sun...like to ask for certain ones by name?  And also, I think you might want to take a breath and ask of yourself:  Do you really think the people who did your testing would just pick some random unfounded testing method and wing it with your results just because...?

Relax, man!  You've been told repeatedly here that you are OK.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline IndianMale

Am I OK now ???
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »
Hi Thunter,

I admit I am very bad at basic safe sex practices. Though I always wore a condom but i never knew  they can slip and break. Only once I had unprotected sex with a professional sex worker and I think I am lucky not to be infected.

Another concern in my country is the wide corruption which exists. They charge you for an expensive test and perform a less reliable test.

I have searched the whole of the internet and this is the only website I found which gave me correct answers.

I still have two concerns :-

>> What kind of test is the "Screening Method" ? Can it be done in under an hour ? I had asked for 3rd generation ELISA but they did this test.

Again I apologize for all the trouble I have caused you.

With Love

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 01:35:42 pm »
The confidence with which you guys give answers and the posts which prove that they are true is what keeps me motivated and happy. You guys are doing a great job. Please let me know if you guys accept donations in Indian rupees. I would love to help you.

Wishing everyone on the forum the very best of health !

Thanks for helping me and I hope I will continue getting your support and answers.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 01:53:57 pm »
Indian,

If you have questions about what type of test was used, you need to ask the person who tested you. "Screening method" is a very general term and could mean any sort of diagnostic test.

We do not accept donations on this website. There are hiv/aids organisations in India and I'm sure one of them would be happy to have a donation from you. We would also appreciate this very much. If you help one person with hiv, you help all of us in some small way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline IndianMale

Re: p24 Antigen testing question
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
Hi All,

Just a quick summary of my encounters

1.November 19 2006 :- Few minutes (2 minutes to 5 minutes) of sex with a professional sex worker with a condom on

2.8th April 2006 :-  sex with a prostitutes with a condom and lasted around 2 to 5 minutes.

3. Before this various incidents with females of unknown status the only unprotected one i can remember right now was in 2000.

Got Tested on :-

9th Jan 2007 :- Test Method = Screening Method Test Result = Non Reactive

7th March 2007 :- Test Method = p24 Antigen Test Result = Non Reactive and index = 0.26.

I have the following questions :-

1.How reliable are my tests.

2.What is p24 Antigen test and what does index = 0.26 mean.

It has been 3 months and 3 weeks since my November 19 incidence can i breath easy...

PS i know i have been asking this on this forum over and over again...but right now i dont want to die...many peoples lives depend on me

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 10:44:22 am »
You're HIV negative. Tested negative well after your single unprotected incident.

Condoms provide very effective protection no matter whom you are with so no need for testing in relation to those incidents.

This is all drama on your part, no kidding. How long are you going to indulge yourself in this totally unwarranted worrying.

Be grateful you're HIV negative and get on with your life. No kidding.

Andy Velez

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 11:41:15 am »
Hello Andy,

I believe you Andy. Honestly i believe you. The problem i am having is that my mind still has a lot of nagging questions. You must account for the fact that i am a resident of India a third world developing country where corruption is the norm of the day.

I am worried that i have an index = 0.26 in the p24 Antigen test.

What does it mean ? Does it mean i have some  amount of the virus in my blood..?

I asked the guy at the clinical lab and he had no idea... in a country like ours it is very common they charge you for the diagnostic test and dont do it in real give a false report... so i am just trying to put facts together and the bad thing is the jigsaw is not fitting in...

How good is the p24 Antigen test ? I wish i had never gone to these PSWs....the guilt and anxiety is killing me

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 12:20:50 pm »
If the testing in your country is "suspect" as you say.  Order a test from Online that comes from the US.  Easy and simple solution.  Not that you really NEED to test.

http://www.homeaccess.com/

There you go.  Problem solved.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 01:10:40 pm »
Indian,

The p24 antigen test is only useful in the first few weeks following an exposure.

The only incident you report that is of any concern is the unprotected intercourse you had in 2000. You have tested negative years after that incident and this mean you are without doubt hiv negative. You do NOT need further testing.

Intercourse with a condom is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv transmission and there are thousands of couples around the world who have sex all the time but the negative partner remains negative. This is because condoms work.

You do NOT need further testing. You are hiv negative and it's high time you put this behind you.

Ann

PS - read the Welcome Thread and follow the Testing Lesson link for further information on the various tests... not that you need further tests, because you don't.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:15:48 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline IndianMale

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:42 am »
Hi Ann,

Talked to an HIV counsellor today.He said that the same things..which have been echoed on this website time and again  They consider :-

1.Window period of 3-12 weeks.

2.Testing at 3 months with ELISA 99.9% accurate.

3.Out of thousands and millions only 1 or 2 need to test @ 6 months and after 6 months.

I got an ELISA done and it came back NEGATIVE !

I am sure i have to go for psycho counselling some thing is disturbing me sub consciously and i dont know what it is..

i have all these irational fears.

Thanks Ann,Andy,Rapid and the rest of the gang for bearing with me through all this time..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 11:28:33 am »
Congratulations on that happy if not unexpected negative result.

Sorting out with a professional person whatever is driving your unwarranted fears is a very good idea.

Time to get on with your life!
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.