Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:09:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looks like Ghana and Italy are advancing from our group  (Read 9760 times)

Offline Cliff

Looks like Ghana and Italy are advancing from our group
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:50:30 am »
Ghana is up 2 to 1, over the US.  And Italy is beating the Czech Republic 2-0.  Oh well.  They tried.   :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:52:01 am by Cliff »

Offline Cliff

Re: Looks like Ghana and Italy are advancing from our group
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:55:03 am »
correction...the Czechs have just lost to the Italians.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:59:32 am »
Everyone please pray for the Americans...they need to score 2 more goals.  There's about 5 minutes left in the game.   :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:22:46 pm »
Shit Shit Shit Shit Shit.........dammit....dammit
I am so angry with myself. I knew today was the game, and I got to farting around doing other stuff. I just opened the forums back up, and saw this message. Just tuned in to ESPN, in time to hear THE AMERICANS ARE GOING HOME.
Well, fuck me.

Lisa
(who is really really pissed off today anyway!!!!) >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :( :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( >:(
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:31:25 pm »
I feel ya, hon.  I told my coworkers I needed to run to a meeting at another building.  I ran back to the hotel, check-ed out, caught the metro to Gare du Nord and hopped on the next train to London.  LOL.   :-[

And all so I can get home and watch these boys lose on me.  Damnit.   >:(

It's over.   >:(  :'(

Offline Lisa

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:37:21 pm »
The only good thing about this whole debacle, is that Ghana was not given any odds to be taken seriously, and they have done a great job of showing all of the commentators what kind of stuff they're made of. I bet their family, friends, and country, are positively ecstatic for them.   and rightfully so :)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:41:48 pm »
Yes, the only silver lining is I'm glad the African countries are doing better this time around.  Win or lose, Ghana had the right to hold its head up high.  They clearly earned their spot to advance.

Sad part is that they will most likely have to play Brazil.   :(

Offline dario

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:54:17 pm »
Hey Italians are nice as well!!!  But I was sad that the US was eliminated so early.  I think that Arena was right when he commented that referees, though necessarily corrupted, always side with the big teams.  (The US had a goal which was declared offside).
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 03:42:02 pm »
A tough bracket it was indeed.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 03:44:13 pm »
Wow....Japan just scored an awesome goal on Brazil.  WOW!!!!!!

Offline dario

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 04:29:01 pm »
I hope Kaka scores for Brazil! 
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 09:37:03 pm »
Like I said I am rooting for Brasil, but have to say I love it when poor little African nations mess with the favorites. It makes for  better games.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Lisa

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 10:34:49 am »
Hot doggy....the Sweden - Germany game is about to begin.
Hopefully Germany will make it through to the next round.(making Hermie, and Garry happy men)
 ;D
Holy football, I gotta get to the store so I can have some chili to watch the games with...........WooHooo Argentina-vs-Mexico is gonna be good too.

Offline Robert

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 10:40:19 am »
Chili in June, lisa? 

I think you've had one too many jalapenos.

robt

(where the expected high today is 113'.  A bowl of fresh fruit sounds mighty good.)

Offline Lisa

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 03:08:25 pm »
na na na na na.......
Mexico in the first 6 minutes.
I'm lovin' this. Chili is appropriate to allow the sweat to cool one's brow.
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 06:25:42 pm »
I was hoping the USA would go through but I have to say that I was a fan of Ghana when they plated Italy. I think it is a bit naive to say they are "Poor African guys" as Essien was sold to Chelsea for $45,000,000. All of them play in good leagues with the exception of the goalie. Still, I'm rooting for all African teams and England. England will go out in this or the next round as they have been RUBBISH - even though I love them.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline dario

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 05:07:34 am »
Brazil or Germany will win the World Cup. What is your opinion?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 10:02:14 am »
Brazil rely too much on three key players. They have great skill but they would struggle if they come up against a cohesive unit. Ghana are that, so it should be a great game....although they are more wobbly at the back than I'd like. Argentina look good as do Spain and Portugal. Italy and England will go out in this or the next round. Ukraine and Switzerland are merely making up the numbers at this point.

So I'd go with Argentina or Germany, outside bet Ghana.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline dario

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 05:49:30 pm »
Argentina are good (but something in my dna makes me detest them ... probably it is Maradona).  I also hate Italy.  The US had a goal cancelled stupidly by the referee. 

I like England but as usual (you said it as well) they are bad on all counts.  Rooney is a baby, Crough was lucky (even though I have a soft spot for him ... I mean I don't like it when the media destroys a player and so I was happy that he scored), Lampard just blasts the ball and waists a lot of chances.   The only satisfactory thing that England has is perhaps a bit the midfield.

I am very sad for the Poles and Ivory coast.  I was impressed by Portugal today. They managed to defend well even with 2 players expelled and even had chances to score. 

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 06:08:29 pm »
I have €10 riding on Brazil winning it all (against Germany).

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 08:52:21 pm »
Cliff,

Wise money. Actually my picks for the semi final were Germany, England, Brazil and Ghana. Obviously England was a bet from the heart as anyone who has seen them will tell you they are piss poor.

Brazil were horrible for the first few games in 2002 and they won it, Germany likewise (lucky to beat America in the quarter final) and they got to the final. As everyone says, "To win it you have to beat the hosts and Brazil" Tough team to do that. I predict more great matches to come and will be root, root, rooting for Germany against Argentina.

Portugal advanced, as predicted, but that game had me rolling on the floor. As a qualified ref, I know his pain. Sometimes you have great days other times you lose control. As a ref you use the cards as the lesson to cut it out. He gave about 3 yellow cards too early before talking to the players. After that it was downhill as the most potent weapon to calm players down (yellow card) was already used up. I felt for him. Still not as bad as Graham Poll, but still absorbing to watch!

R

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 11:30:19 pm »
Brazil or Germany will win the World Cup. What is your opinion?

I consider the Germany X Argentina quarter - final match as an anticipated final. Whoever comes out victorious of this battle will win the world cup.

Brazil reached the final match in the last three world cups, it is statistically very unlikely to reach the final match four times in a row, this has never happened before in world cups. I have a feeling that this Brazil X Ghana match will be really tough, and I would be not surprised if Ghana defeated Brazil. Actually, i have a bad feeling about this match...  :(

The dutch team played like the argentinians today against Portugal, they played really dirty,i hope  Cristiano Ronaldo was not seriouly injured, he plays beautifully.

As for England , playing the way they did against Ecuador today, they will not go very far. The match was awful....maybe this is  the reason why Beckham vomited in the field.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 11:43:04 pm by ronaldinho »

Offline dario

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 07:24:25 am »
I am also worried for Portugal's Ronaldo.  This is not the only problem of Portugal since they have now a depleted team.  Usually I side with England ... but they played so badly that I have given up (in a previous post I had said that England's midfield is good - probably I was drunk).  Maybe things will improve if Neville is included. 

If Argentina loose, it will be good news .... I just abhor the Argentinians!

I would not be surprised if Italy today is defeated by Australia.  Remember that Hiddinks is the same chap who coached Korea and Italy had lost then!  But maybe this does not matter too much.
The irony is that Italians usually play better under stress.  Currently the Italians have a corruption scandal going on (anyway everybody knew it) involving almost all top Seria A teams.  Ironically the Italians had won the 1982 World Cup in similar circumstances.  But I don't believe that history repeats itself.   

I personally think that despite everything Brazil will win the world cup.  It is true that they have not shown their best but they are improving.  I hope Kaka plays better. 

Offline Lisa

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 04:37:54 pm »
Watching Ukraine-vs-Suisse @ the 80th minute.
OOOOoooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!
Wheeeeeeeeee.......

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.