Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 324
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Western Blot concerns  (Read 13499 times)

Offline helplease12

Western Blot concerns
« on: July 31, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »
From reading messages on this site I know that insertive oral sex is not a way that people can get hiv outside of the "theoretical" chances. However, I am concerned I may be at risk because the girls teeth either scraped or bit into my penis during the oral sex. A short while after it was over I noticed that there were a couple marks on my penis. (i looked because it was kind of painful during the oral). Skin was definitely broken and now there is a small scab.

I have no reason to believe there was blood in her mouth, although it was dark and I can't rule that out completely. I am just wondering if this is a case of insertive oral where hiv could be passed? Can it be passed through the teeth through a bite? Thanks in advance for any answers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:41:12 am by helplease12 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Bitten with teeth during oral sex
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:20:49 pm »
You were not at risk, even with a bite on your penis which scabbed.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:59:40 pm »
Bites, nicks, scrapes and more happen to penises during blowjobs, masturbation and other non-intercourse activities. Your concern is understandable but the fact is transmission doesn't happen in this manner and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first to be infected through someone's less than tender blowjob.

Please read the lesson on transmission whcih you can reach through the link in the first thread in this section. You get the real deal there on what is risky and what isn't. And this isn't and wasn't. If you see her again ask (nicely) here to use more lips and tongue and less teeth.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline helplease12

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:03:49 pm »
I am wondering if someone can explain why getting bit on the penis during oral sex isnt an hiv risk? I know for a fact that other diseases can be passed through bites. For instance, if you are bit by an unknown animal you are supposed to get a shot.

So why is being bitten on your penis not a risk?, When biting is a common way we think of passing virus/diseases to and from one another.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:11:13 pm »
Other diseases are also spread through sneezing.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:12:43 pm »
Helpless,

Firstly there are things in saliva which actually inhibit HIV and stop it from being spread. Also HIV likes to infect particular cells, and these just aren't found in a cut on your penis.

There really is nothing to worry about in this case. No-one has ever contracted HIV from copping a hummer and you're not about to be the first, my friend.

MtD

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:38:41 pm »
I am wondering if someone can explain why getting bit on the penis during oral sex isnt an hiv risk? I know for a fact that other diseases can be passed through bites. For instance, if you are bit by an unknown animal you are supposed to get a shot.

So why is being bitten on your penis not a risk?, When biting is a common way we think of passing virus/diseases to and from one another.

Because saliva at best contains very small amounts of the virus and many factors which inhibit the virus.  The mouth is not a hospitable environment or HIV.  The mouth is hospital for other more robust viruses and bacteria - such as EBV or Rabies - that's why if you get bit by an animal you need to get a "shot."

Your situation was not a risk for HIV, however there are several other STDs which can be spread by oral sex.  Gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes ..to name a couple.

In reality the girl who received your blood and semen in her mouth would have more of a "risk" than you (albeit a small one).

Offline helplease12

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:03 am »
After reading your responses, I didn't think I had much to worry about. But a few days after the incident I started having problems with the inside of my mouth. I experienced differnt sores (a couple canker sores, white patch on side of cheek, sore tongue, and a couple red marks in my mouth). I know this wouldnt be a sign of hiv, but it could be an std. Since these began occuring within a week of the incident, it seems rather likely.

My question is: how much does this increase the chance of my infection? There are two different things I am worried about.

First, if she had an std, wouldnt that increase the chance I could get it through a blow job? If she had sores in her mouth, that would increase the chance of blood in her mouth. There was definitely  broken skin on my penis (that eventually scabbed), so a path of entry was present, and the sores from the std could be a route of transmission.

Second, I gave her oral sex, and it was dark so I couldnt see if there was something there. I am worried she had sores down there that i could have contracted through my mouth. I am worried that is why my mouth is infected and that there could have been blood or fluids from the sores in her genital area that could have given me the virus.

I am trying to tell myself I have nothing to worry about, but I seem to have obvious symptoms of an std in my mouth (considering the time after the event) and I know that stds increase the risk of transmission.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 02:14:16 am »
Help,

Nothing you've added in your latest post would cause us to change the advice we gave you originally. Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and learn about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Don't start the what-ifs and the symptom thing either, my friend. The answers are not going to change.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:35:13 am »
Help,

I agree with Matty, nothing you've added transforms your situation into an hiv situation.

If you are worried about an STI in your mouth, you're not going to get a diagnosis over the internet. Go get a full sexual health care check up and let the doctors diagnose what you do or do not have.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline helplease12

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 03:17:25 pm »
I guess I am still confused why there is no risk. I am hoping someone can elaborate further.

In regards to the inservtive oral. I have read repeatedly on this site that there has never been a documented case in the history of hiv of someone getting infected this way, even if there is blood in the mouth, or whatever spin you want to put on it. But in my case, where there was clearly punctured skin, why would there not be a risk if there was blood in the girls mouth? It would be blood moving over an open sore. That doesnt make sense to me.

In regards to the giving oral. I have read often that stds can greatly increase the risk of contracting hiv. If she has sores in her vaginal area and she has an increased viral load due to the std, and i lick the sore and contract an std, why would that not mean i have an increased chance of hiv?

I am planning on getting an std test, but am waiting till 6 weeks, so I can have a meaningful hiv test at the same time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 03:31:27 pm »
I take it you seen copious amounts of blood running off your penis? Did your penis require stitches? Bites don't cause HIV even if you were bit by someone with HIV.

Offline helplease12

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 02:11:44 pm »
I have read on this site how hiv is and is not transmitted. I know a bite alone does not pose much risk. However, I am still worried due to the other factors that I detailed rather thoroughly. I was hoping someone could explain why there was no risk, because based on my knowledge from this site, it would seem like there was.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 06:26:22 pm »
help,

Oral contact carries no hiv risks because of the antiviral properties of saliva. Hiv is a very fragile virus and there are over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that destroy the outer covering of the virus. Hiv needs this outer layer to remain intact in order to be able to infect a new host. There would have to be a extraordinarily high amount of virus present to negate these protective factors in saliva.

You did not have a risk of hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline helplease12

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 01:55:37 am »
I'm not sure if we are on the exact same page, so I would like to clarify.

I understand that insertive oral is not a risk because hiv cant survive in saliva.  I also understand that in normal conditions a man giving oral sex to a woman would not be considered a risk.

However, I am concerned about giving oral sex to a woman who has genital stds. If she has sores, there could be blood and/or increased viral load. (it was dark so I could not see). I am worried that saliva may protect when giving oral to a woman in normal condtions, but in my situation, where there could be open sores, I am worried that transmission would be possible.

I have read frequently that STDS INCREASE THE RISK of giving or receiving hiv. Wouldnt this be an example of that?

Offline helplease12

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:27 pm »
Can I get a response to my last message. I would appreciate it a lot.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 06:46:20 am »
help,

If you gave oral to a woman with genital sexually transmitted infections, you would be at risk of getting those infections in your mouth/throat, but not hiv. Again, this is because of the antiviral properties of saliva.

The presence of other STIs increases the risk of hiv transmission during anal or vaginal intercourse. It would be rare in the extreme for it to increase the risk during oral. If it wasn't rare, there would be documented evidence to show. There isn't.

I would suggest that if you're worried about a woman having an STI, you make certain you are using condoms for intercourse (which you should be doing anyway) and an oral barrier. An oral barrier can be made from clear plastic food wrap, or a condom split in half length-wise. The only reason to use an oral barrier when going down on a woman as protection against hiv is for your own piece of mind. However, many OTHER STIs can be transmitted via going down, so if there is doubt in your mind, either don't do it or use a barrier. Simple as that.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline helplease12

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 06:12:19 pm »
So you are saying that despite what i have all explained....an HIV test is not necessary for this incident?

Offline helplease12

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 01:48:39 am »
?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 07:11:01 am »
help,

No, you do not need to test for hiv over this specific incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline helplease12

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 09:15:39 pm »
I got tested for the incident in question. But now I am terrified. I thought I had missed a call for my results, so I called the lab (not the lab that would have called me because that lab is closed for the weekend but the "head" lab). The lab told me that the results were not in. She told me that a western blot had been sent to a different location ( i knew the test wasnt a rapid one). I told her I thought a western blot only confirmed a positive result (as I have read Ann say). She assured me that wasnt the case and that no test had been done and I shouldnt be worried.

But now I am terrified. I keep hearing western blots confirm positive results. This person was probably reading off a computer and might not have known, she said some doctors order different things......is there any chance the western blot could have been the first test?

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 10:40:39 pm »
I got tested for the incident in question. But now I am terrified. I thought I had missed a call for my results, so I called the lab (not the lab that would have called me because that lab is closed for the weekend but the "head" lab). The lab told me that the results were not in. She told me that a western blot had been sent to a different location ( i knew the test wasnt a rapid one). I told her I thought a western blot only confirmed a positive result (as I have read Ann say). She assured me that wasnt the case and that no test had been done and I shouldnt be worried.

But now I am terrified. I keep hearing western blots confirm positive results. This person was probably reading off a computer and might not have known, she said some doctors order different things......is there any chance the western blot could have been the first test?

To reiterate this is not an HIV issue.  This is turning into a psychological issue.  You have an intense fear of HIV transmission, which is completely unwarranted based on the "risk factor" you describe.  I understand HIV is a scary thing and it's pretty much worthless for me to tell you to move on or to not worry about it. Rather take comfort knowing that noone in the history of the disease has become infected from getting a blowjob. As already stated, do you think your the first one to experience a little teeth while getting oral sex?? Transmission in this manner just doesn't happen.  AND the really big AND - you have no idea if this person was HIV positive??? If they didn't have the virus there's no way they could pass it on to you. Considering all this information dont you think the odds are beyond astronomical that you're going to be negative??

Offline helplease12

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 01:15:38 am »
Scienceguy,

I have become more worried about getting it when I gave oral sex to the girl. I explained in detail a few posts up about how I had several problems with the inside of my mouth shortly after this happened (i am getting an std test as well).

I know only having one post is stressed in this forum....but in my case I hope its not causing people to not understand my current issue....by having my concerns under a title that isnt really fitting...

I was slightly worried about it, now that the person said western blot I am terrified, even though she tried to reassure me it was the first test.

Offline helplease12

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 10:11:44 am »
does anyone know anything about my western blot question

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 10:39:01 am »
help,

My guess is that you talked to the monkey instead of the organ grinder. You rang the lab outside of normal business hours and probably talked to someone who had no idea what they're talking about.

The bottom line here is that you did not have a risk of hiv infection either through getting a blowjob nor going down on a woman. Hiv is not transmitted in these ways.

By the way, if you want to change the title of your thread to reflect your latest worry, go into your first post in this thread and hit the modify button. Don't change the first post itself, just the title. When you've done that, go to the end of the thread and post your next question/concern/comment.

But seriously, you didn't have a risk so you really should be done with this now.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline helplease12

Re: Western Blot concerns
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2006, 10:45:53 am »
I guess I dont really understand your explanation at all. I was hoping I wasnt talking to a "monkey". I was hoping she knew what she was talking about and that the western blot was the first test and that this is a fairly normal procedure at this specific clinic. (it may be important to note this is a regular clinic in a fairly small community that doesnt probably deal with hiv tests a lot)

If she didnt know what she was talking about then I am scared. A test could have already been completed and came back positive and that is why the western blot was sent out. Therefore, on her screen it said something to the effect of "western blot pending".

I was becoming quite confident, based on your explanations, that I didnt have anything to worry about, but this has sent me over the edge.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:52:29 am by helplease12 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 11:09:41 am »
If your test came back positive and they sent it out for a Western Blot test there are two this that happened. One, you received a false positive or two, you have had another risk that you haven't discussed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 11:38:07 am »
help,

Well, if you insist on calling businesses outside their normal business hours, then you take pot luck. The person you talked to could have been misinformed or just plain tired and misspoke, mixing up WB with ELISA. Stop trying to read things into that conversation.

As Rodney says, unless you've had some unprotected intercourse you're not telling us about, you've got nothing to worry about. You're just going to have to hang on until you get your proper results - and try to obtain them during regular business hours when you can talk to the people who normally deal with these types of enquiries.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.