Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:40:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 447
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Designing Women" 1987 episode about HIV/AIDS  (Read 5374 times)

Offline tednlou2

"Designing Women" 1987 episode about HIV/AIDS
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »
I was reminded of this episode on another website today.  However, they used a shorter and poor quality youtube clip.  I found this better clip.  It is believed this was the first time a sitcom discussed HIV/AIDS.  I know the "Golden Girls" did an HIV/AIDS episode around the same time, but it wasn't nearly as good as this one.   Dixie Carter died this week as you all probably know, so this is why this episode was talked about.  The show's creator/writer wrote the episode after her mother died of AIDS following a blood transfusion.  I usually like sitcoms to just be funny and avoid relationship stories and serious topics.  However, this was much needed for the times and very unusual.  If you liked the show, then you loved when "Julia" went off on stupid people as she does in this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ANOaczfhk

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: "Designing Women" 1987 episode about HIV/AIDS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »
wow thats pretty impressive!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 09:41:04 pm »
He couldn't possibly have AIDS.  He looks so healthy!
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:14:13 pm »
I remember watching that episode when it originally aired. It may seem tame now but it was really pretty ballsy back then.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »
I remember watching that episode when it originally aired. It may seem tame now but it was really pretty ballsy back then.

Crap, I almost started crying like I did in 1987 when Designing Women "broke new ground" (just like Aidan Quinn in An Early Frost in 1985, which quickly faded...).  The years of 1982 to 1990 and even beyond were filled with too many dead and dying people, many friends.   Even Philadelphia can still bring tears to my eyes although I hate that movie (the younger brother breaking down in the hospital near the end never fails...)

Remember how difficult it was to get And the Band Played On produced?  HBO finally did it in 1993 but no one wanted to touch it.  I think Matthew Modine (ick) & Ian McKellan were deal-breakers along with the tons of others who took small roles to help.

Oops... sorry for digressing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:37:44 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:48:33 am »
That was Tony Goldwyn, he was very good in the role. And the 4 ladies, gotta love 'em.

Why are they being so secretive about the cause of Dixie Carter's death? Does anyone know what she died of?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:53:58 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:08:48 am »
Does anyone know what she died of?

Don't know if it is true or not, but I read somewhere that she died from endometrial cancer.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 01:18:20 am »
Don't know if it is true or not, but I read somewhere that she died from endometrial cancer.

I heard it was endometrial cancer on the news as well.  Someone told me she was a big conservative.  Don't know if that is true.  I heard people say that about Lynda Carter, too.  Then, I watched an interview where she ripped into Sarah Palin and the repubs--but I digress.

About the episode--  It is sad that we are still dealing with people pushing abstinence only and no condoms 23 years after this episode.  The episode could be from today with the woman saying certain people deserve HIV and the opposition to sex ed.  The only difference, and huge difference, is the young man wouldn't be planning his funeral at age 24 or even 44.

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:49:27 am »
Wow, well the tears did start flowing with me when I remember when I first thought I had AID's and I was no young than the actor and how sad it is that people really do believe that the right people are getting sick.  With so many phenomenal people gone we still  live among some small minded rocks. I loved Dixie for her  Southern fire and will miss her deeply.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:42:48 pm »
Someone told me she was a big conservative.  Don't know if that is true.  I heard people say that about Lynda Carter, too.  Then, I watched an interview where she ripped into Sarah Palin and the repubs--but I digress.

She was one of those "libertarian" Republicans - y'know like Kelsey Grammer.

Which just goes to show that acting isn't real life kiddies. It's pretending.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.