Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:56:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV comes to Emmerdale?  (Read 12908 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
HIV comes to Emmerdale?
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:21:22 am »
Emmerdale is a British soap that airs week-nights at 7pm.

Last night Val Pollard, a 50-something married woman, had a visit from a 50-something British gentleman she had an affair with during a split from her husband, while she was living (without husband) in Portugal.

After much hemming and hawing, the man, Ian, revealed that he had tested hiv positive and had become infected after an earlier affair with a 30-something woman who contacted him after her own positive test result.

Val initially takes the other woman's age as good news, declaring that only younger "lasses" are vulnerable to hiv, not "women" such as herself. Ian informs her she needs to test regardless of what she believes about hiv. (At which point the programme ended.)

So far, so good. I thought the disclosure portrayal was fairly true-to-life. How the story-line progresses from here is yet to be seen.

While I would never wish hiv on anyone in real life, I do hope they have Val test positive. According to the dialogue, he would have been fairly newly infected when he and Val were together, which means he probably would have had a high viral load. Also according to the dialogue, they were "at it" all the time.

Aside from this allowing the story-line to stay true to life, a positive diagnosis for Val would also drive home the message that anyone can end up with hiv - regardless of age or sexuality.

Hiv infection rates in the over 50s are on the rise in the UK and it would be good if Emmerdale does the brave thing and highlights this fact - provided of course they have done their research and won't be perpetuating any transmission or treatment myths.

http://www.nat.org.uk/HIV-Facts/Statistics/Latest-UK-statistics/Adults-Over-50.aspx

New diagnoses among older adults more than doubled between 2002 and 2011, rising from 442 in 2002 to 990 in 2012. One in four adults living with diagnosed HIV were aged 50 years and over compared to only one in eight in 2003.

Does anyone else here watch Emmerdale? Theyer? Britchick? What do you think?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: HIV comes to Emmerdale?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:22 am »
I have noticed a lot of older women and heterosexual people in the clinic I attend and sometimes volunteer at . When I was a clinic host I spoke to a woman who was in her 60's who was very overwhelmed at being at a HIV clinic and dealing with her diagnosis . She told me she never even considered that something like HIV could happen to her .

Her only experience up until that time was a friend whose gay son died of Aids . I can relate to her and her feeling up to that time of HIV is something that happens to other people, its not so much that you feel it only happens to others as it is it a certainly wont happen to me mentality . When I was coming out HIV was something distant that was happening in New York or aan Francisco and because I was young and feeling immortal I didn't give HIV much thought until it was too late and I was infected .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:29 pm »
The oldest female client at this area's ASO is one of my clients; she's 65.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline britchick

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:18 am »
I dont watch Emmerdale but I will try to make a point of watching it to see how the story develops.Do you remember when Eastenders did the AIDS story line with Mark Fowler?It was years ago?

britchickxxx

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:46:26 am »
The scene is now on youtube. Having not watched Emmerdale for donkeys I have to say it made good viewing. The script is good. I'm interested to see where they take the storyline now.
Infected: +\-01/2010

Tested positive 08/2010
28/07/11 CD4 420 9% v.l. 20500
16/10/11 CD4 320 10% v.l. 185000
10/11/11 begin Truvada/Viramune
29/12/11 CD4 410 13% v.l. 115
14/4/12 v.l. undetectable
05/7/12 CD4 520 19% v.l. UD
21/08/13 CD4 470 20% v.l. UD
19/12/13 CD4 430 23% v.l. UD
8/12/14 CD4 600 21% v.l. UD
4/2/15 CD4 600 v.l. UD. Cholesterol 6.2 ....

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:16 pm »
Short interview with Emmerdale's producer Kate Oates over Val's HIV storyline and wanting to change perceptions  8)

Tested positive 08/2010

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »

Short interview with Emmerdale's producer Kate Oates over Val's HIV storyline and wanting to change perceptions  8)

Do you have a link?

I haven't seen tonight's or last night's instalments yet, but so far they've put Val on the back-burner with everything that's going on with Sam and Rachel. So far it's been a pretty fair portrayal of how someone like Val might react, IMO.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 05:26:12 pm »
Do you have a link?

I haven't seen tonight's or last night's instalments yet, but so far they've put Val on the back-burner with everything that's going on with Sam and Rachel. So far it's been a pretty fair portrayal of how someone like Val might react, IMO.

Here's one link:  http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/emmerdale-spoilers-producer-kate-oates-says-vals-hiv-story-set-challenge-stigmas/

Seems like they are intent on trying to tackle stigmas.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:39:21 pm »
Here's one link:  http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/emmerdale-spoilers-producer-kate-oates-says-vals-hiv-story-set-challenge-stigmas/

Seems like they are intent on trying to tackle stigmas.

Thanks Henry!

It does sound like they're intent on tackling stigma - but for me the true test of how serious they are will be whether or not they have Val test positive. One of the soaps - I forget now if it was Emmerdale or Corry - had a character go through a testing scare one time, but they tested negative so they never really had to explore the topic in much depth.

I'm hoping Val does test positive. While I would never wish that on someone in real life, I think the only way to really open up a dialogue about hiv in the 21st century is to have a living, breathing (albeit fictional) character where we can see all aspects of living with hiv.

I'm going to go watch yesterday's and today's episodes now. (I love my Sky+ box!) :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:07:33 pm »
Do you have a link?

Sorry i forgot to post the link - thanks Henry!

Tested positive 08/2010

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »
Emmerdale ---well bugger me backwards and f=== = duck.  , before the mornin milkin .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:39:55 am »
Hollyoaks did a good HIV storyline sometime back with Mal the Irish guy.  He found out and didn't know how to tell his girlfriend - ended up having unprotected sex with her because he was too scared to tell her.

Then (as is ridiculous soapland) she had sex with Mal's transvestite brother so when the shit hit the fan they both had to be tested.  Mercedes was shouting down the street, 'he give me the AIDS' but ended up testing negative.

I thought they did it really well.  Mal and Mercedes ended up getting married and everyone knew about his status but it was never really an issue (as it shouldn't be!)

I don't watch Emmerdale but I'd like to catch this storyline
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline countrymanPete

• Just your average Joe
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
  I remember the East Enders storyline, and now Emmerdale.   Since I ended up here in Australia,  I don't get to see those shows anymore.    Be interesting to see what happens, please keep us posted..........
Everything should work like a well oiled ship

The titanic was a well oiled ship.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:47:17 am »
  I remember the East Enders storyline, and now Emmerdale.   Since I ended up here in Australia,  I don't get to see those shows anymore.    Be interesting to see what happens, please keep us posted..........

I've been meaning to post an updated, so thanks for the nudge.

There hasn't really been much movement on this storyline so far. I'm hoping they're using a slow-burn because it's going to turn out to be a serious and on-going storyline (she tests poz). If they continue dragging this out only to have her test negative, I won't be a happy bunny, no I won't!

So since I first posted about this, they've shown her isolating herself both physically and emotionally, which has caused major problems in her marriage. They're currently separated.

Her husband came down with the flu (before the separation) and she panicked, thinking he was sick with something serious and hiv-related. This wasn't enough to prompt her to tell him though. And she still hasn't been tested; she chickened out when she went to a clinic the other week.

So far she's only told one person, a young woman named Victoria, her niece. Her niece is trying to be supportive, but Val is pushing her away. Victoria told her that it was no longer a death-sentence and even got some info pamphlets for her, which Val promptly burned for fear of someone finding them.

In one scene, Victoria gave Val a great big bear hug which freaked Val out ("don't touch me!!!) - she obviously doesn't know what is a transmission risk and what isn't, although Victoria is being portrayed as knowledgeable in this regard.

Victoria is doing her best to encourage Val to test and also to tell Eric (the husband), but Val isn't having any of it. She's terrified of rejection and judgement and everyone finding out. I wish they'd have Victoria explain to her that ignorance is not bliss and untreated hiv is deadly. Maybe this week? I do wish they'd get on with it already.

As I said, they've put this issue on the back-burner for the most part, with only snippets of scenes and not during every episode.

Oh, the reason she and Eric have separated is because he thinks she's having an affair. He saw her getting out of Ian's car (the poz guy) after she got in touch with him during her panic about Eric having the flu. The Ian is pretty pissed off with her that she still hasn't tested, and that she initially lied about having tested negative.

IMO, they're still portraying the situation in a fairly true-to-life way. I can totally imagine a middle-aged woman like Val reacting exactly as written, with the same shame and fear. I'll tell you what though, if I were privy to such a carry-on in real life, I would have slapped some sense into her and frog-marched her to the local GUM by now. (metaphorically slapped and marched her....)

I'll post more updates as the story progresses.

Regarding BeastBenders and the Mark Fowler storyline, I've never really watched that soap although I'm aware of the storyline. The whole show is too much doom-and-gloom for my liking, I like my soaps with a bit of humour mixed in for light relief.

I also don't watch Hollyoaks. Following two soaps (Emmerdale and Corrie) Following three soaps (Emmerdale, Corrie and the AM Forums) takes up enough of my time! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline countrymanPete

• Just your average Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:25 am »
Well it sounds exciting in Emmerdale. Agreed, East Enders is like listening to Leonard Cohen.    No happy little Bunnies in Albert Square!   
    It's a bit like Emmerdale here actually, tho all the grass is dead,  and of course the spiders, snakes etc and other creatures capable of injecting venom..  There's a mob of Roos here at the moment, and a few Emus, assorted Parrots, Cockatoos and Galahs.  It's also 40C+ day times here at the moment, so a tad bit dryer than those green rolling hills.   Still it is the countryside. 
Everything should work like a well oiled ship

The titanic was a well oiled ship.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:31 am »
Still all quiet on the hiv front and the program synopsis in my telly guide gives no indication of further news coming out this week. It's getting annoying - I feel like some of our WWs over in the Am I? forum who want their test results yesterday! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline YellowFever

Val's story on Emmerdale
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:42 am »
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 12:04:10 pm by YellowFever »
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.