Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Interesting idea for a thread.  (Read 59989 times)

Offline RemyG1971

• E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa Try it to end the panic
Interesting idea for a thread.
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
I am a retired Police Officer and was thinking of starting a thread called Ask a Police Officer wondering what your thoughts on this might be. I often run into people while surfing and if the topic comes up of what we do for a living or what we used to do people are surprised to find out that I was a Police Officer for quite some time, following their shock I normally get hit with a couple of questions that they might have been afraid to ask to an Officer in uniform, so why not help the people on this forum that help me with questions I have, interested to hear some feedback.  :o

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Interesting idea for a thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:10:23 pm »

Say I'm driving down the highway with Lynard Skynard's Free Bird playing on the stereo, when I notice a police car driving up on my bumper.  I'm going the speed limit and have my seat belt on.  Is it ok for me to give him a fierce brake check to get him off my bumper?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

Say I'm driving down the highway with Lynard Skynard's Free Bird playing on the stereo, when I notice a police car driving up on my bumper.  I'm going the speed limit and have my seat belt on.  Is it ok for me to give him a fierce brake check to get him off my bumper?

Prob not.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:39:52 pm »
Law enforcement officers frequently interact with people who have mental health problems, particularly when serving custody orders for involuntary commitment. What kind of training do police officers receive in regards to assisting people with mental health problems?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »
What's your opinion of doing away with all local police agencies and replacing them with one national police force?  Since the US government currently provides little to no assistance to run local police departments, police agencies in the US vary greatly, mostly depending on their local communities wealth.   Whereas the police department where I live can afford to operate unmanned drones, gunshot detectors, and staff thousands of police officers who have training in mental health and other complex issues, an agency in Alabama (just an example) usually runs underfunded, low education levels, and short staffed on antiquated equipment with little training.  Doesn't make much sense does it?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »
Law enforcement officers frequently interact with people who have mental health problems, particularly when serving custody orders for involuntary commitment. What kind of training do police officers receive in regards to assisting people with mental health problems?

In California all Police agencies are governed by P.O.S.T (Police Officers Standard of Training). POST is who indicates what changes should be made for Academy training as well as after Officers graduate. My time with the Police Department we received regular training from the Mental Health Departments as well as our own Psychology Dept. on what to look for when assessing a situation with a mentally challenged or troubled individual. The training Officers are receiving now also involves how to deal with Veterans returning from Iraq & Afghanistan. In the State of California we are allowed to take individuals into custody for a 72 hold under 5150 WIC (Welfare & Institutions Code) to have them evaluated by professionals if certain criteria are met.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:11:43 pm »
What's your opinion of doing away with all local police agencies and replacing them with one national police force?  Since the US government currently provides little to no assistance to run local police departments, police agencies in the US vary greatly, mostly depending on their local communities wealth.   Whereas the police department where I live can afford to operate unmanned drones, gunshot detectors, and staff thousands of police officers who have training in mental health and other complex issues, an agency in Alabama (just an example) usually runs underfunded, low education levels, and short staffed on antiquated equipment with little training.  Doesn't make much sense does it?

I am 100% against a National Police force and 100% against using unmanned drones to servile as just a general practice. My time with the Police Department we received plenty of money from the US Government to hire new Officers, buy new equipment and received various forms of training. I am not sure why the Police Dept. in the area you live is so undermanned I am guessing that is poor budgeting on their part.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:49:00 pm by RemyG1971 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:50 pm »
The thought of a national police force is a scary ass proposition to consider if you ask me , and good luck with the less government / more states rights groups when debating this issue . If you wanted to start a bunch of shit with some of those crackpot state militia's I cant think of better way to take a swing at the hornets nest . 

I'm a progressive and for the most part am not frightend by federal programs but I don't think I would consider this a progressive idea .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »
I say a BIG HELL NO to a national police force.  Local police are able to do their jobs based on the needs of the community they serve (well, with some state and federal guidelines thown in, no doubt).
My father is a retired police commander in the city I grew up in, my brother is a former police officer and my step-brother is a current officer.  I grew up around the local police (and had a few run ins with them).
Additionally -- (STEREOTYPE ALERT) -- I worked at a local donut shop while in high school that was down the street from the police station and they all frequented the shop (stereotypes are often based in truth) -- I got to know them all.  There were some "questionable" ones, but for the most part they were all dedicated and concerned for the welfare of the citizens.
To this day -- I respect the police -- am not afraid when they are behind me on the road, as I tend to obey traffic laws at this stage of my life.  They are all their to help and protect.
Mike

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:30 pm »
I say a BIG HELL NO to a national police force.  Local police are able to do their jobs based on the needs of the community they serve (well, with some state and federal guidelines thown in, no doubt).
My father is a retired police commander in the city I grew up in, my brother is a former police officer and my step-brother is a current officer.  I grew up around the local police (and had a few run ins with them).
Additionally -- (STEREOTYPE ALERT) -- I worked at a local donut shop while in high school that was down the street from the police station and they all frequented the shop (stereotypes are often based in truth) -- I got to know them all.  There were some "questionable" ones, but for the most part they were all dedicated and concerned for the welfare of the citizens.
To this day -- I respect the police -- am not afraid when they are behind me on the road, as I tend to obey traffic laws at this stage of my life.  They are all their to help and protect.
Mike

I remember the 1st time I was involved in warrant service. For those who do not know warrants are served early in the morning because unless given prior approval by a Judge you cannot serve a warrant at night. So we arrived at the roll call room at 3am to serve the warrant at 4am and there must of been 6 dozens donuts laid out for us to eat, I laughed to myself.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:29 pm »
I remember the 1st time I was involved in warrant service. For those who do not know warrants are served early in the morning because unless given prior approval by a Judge you cannot serve a warrant at night. So we arrived at the roll call room at 3am to serve the warrant at 4am and there must of been 6 dozens donuts laid out for us to eat, I laughed to myself.

I know, right!
I do have to say though -- they really were great to know.  They never had to pay for their coffee and donuts (owner's rule).  On my last shift before I left for college -- I got a $500 gift from the police -- a collection taken without my Dad's knowledge.  That was 30 yrs ago, so $500 was a pretty big final "tip" for me.

Mike

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:40:32 pm »
I know, right!
I do have to say though -- they really were great to know.  They never had to pay for their coffee and donuts (owner's rule).  On my last shift before I left for college -- I got a $500 gift from the police -- a collection taken without my Dad's knowledge.  That was 30 yrs ago, so $500 was a pretty big final "tip" for me.

Mike

That is a lot of money today, 30 years ago that was a BUNCH of $$$. We used to get discounts everywhere we went, when you get a discount you better tip really really well.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:48 pm »
Is it legal for police officers to accept discounts? I know in NYC it's not. Sounds like a can of worms if you ask me.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »
Is it legal for police officers to accept discounts? I know in NYC it's not. Sounds like a can of worms if you ask me.

I heard Chick-fil-A in Greensboro offers some kind of discount to law enforcement and fire fighters. There are always at least 3-4 police cars at Chick-fil-a. They hang out there for some reason.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:11 am »

I know many gas stations give discounts or free items, because they want police there late at night.  And, I've known of a few officers getting huge discounts at high-end apartments--apartments they could not afford on a police salary, especially being single without a 2nd income.  I guess the thinking is they want an officer or two living there.  I have no idea whether the department sanctions this, or whether it is done on the DL.

My partner gets a 10% firefighter discount at a few fast food restaurants.  10% off a Blizzard.  That's what I'm talking about!       

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:41:04 am »
Give me that discount or I won't show up with the fire truck when your place is on fire!

*** in fact, I'll light the fire! ::)

Seems like basic unethical behavior that can cause rampant corruption.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 01:10:13 am »
I think my apartment complex offers a steep discount for police officers who are willing to either A) park a marked car in the parking lot and/or B) offer to be on call sometimes in addition to the regular security.

Personally I am glad. Back in the day, my place used to have some seedy stuff going on in the parking lot on weekends.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bocker3

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 07:50:27 am »

Hence the reason that a national police force wouldn't work -- what might be good/bad in one location is not so in another.  I grew up in a city of ~45,000, we had around 100 officers.

Plus -- they didn't ask for a discount -- we refused to take their money.  Of course, it was only free for their consumption -- if they wanted a dozen donuts, they paid.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 08:31:09 am »
Did I advocate for a national police force anywhere in this thread, Oh Wise Bocker? Hopefully you can pinpoint the phrase where I did so.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 08:37:49 am »
Did I advocate for a national police force anywhere in this thread, Oh Wise Bocker? Hopefully you can pinpoint the phrase where I did so.

Paranoid much? Mike was using what you said as an example of why a national police force is not such a good idea, not as proof that you were advocating for a national police force. Maybe you need more coffee this morning?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:22 am »
Paranoid much? Mike was using what you said as an example of why a national police force is not such a good idea, not as proof that you were advocating for a national police force. Maybe you need more coffee this morning?

Oh, I'm sure if it becomes necessary we can make those donuts illegal for police forces without making a national police force. It's a slippery slope as we can already see in this thread. Those donuts morph into discounted apartments, then they're taking bribes to overlook the meth manufacturing lab in Apartment 1-B, and soon we have Mexico-scale corruption necessitating a drug war domestically, financed by the Chinese because... well, you know raising taxes is rather unseemly.

At least those wretched New Yorkers have some sort of ethics and have put an end to this behavior, setting a standard for the nation along with lowering smoking rates and the consumption of high-fructose corn syrup.

So what freebies do the police get in bustling Douglas? I bet it's those filthy pickled eggs at the pub.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:49:54 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 08:59:12 am »
btw, in some ways (but not all) the US already has a national police force. Just look at the history of the US Marshals Service. How do you think those horrible Yankees were able to tame the illegal actions of Southerners during the civil rights era abuses? Or crack down on smugglers during Prohibition, when every local police force was corrupt (from a form of free donuts no less!). It's a pretty well established fact that when the going gets really tough, the federal government will step in with a full assist from the judiciary and there's not a fucking thing you local yokels can do about it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:42:57 am »

So what freebies do the police get in bustling Douglas? I bet it's those filthy pickled eggs at the pub.

I honestly haven't a clue. The police generally keep a low profile here except during TT and to a lesser extent, during the Gran Prix. I've been mulling this over for the past 15 minutes and I can't recall ever seeing a copper in a restaurant, bakery (we are doughnut-shopless) or cafe - not while in uniform, anyway.

The only time I can remember seeing a uniformed copper in a pub is at the weekends (nights) when they do a walk-thru of most of the pubs, but they don't stop to chat, much less eat filthy pickled eggs. (I haven't seen a jar of pickled eggs on a bar in YEARS. I have a feeling EU health and safety may have outlawed them.) They do the walk-thru thing at the weekend just to remind people that they're lurking around town and will be there in a flash if a fight breaks out or if someone decides to take a piss in a doorway.

In Peel, our police station boasts a sergeant , an inspector, 13 constables and 4 special constabulary (volunteers). They still wear those silly helmets - I think we're the last police force in the UK to still have them.

The inspector gets to wear a normal hat. Oh, and we're the only one who have the silly helmets in white. All the other forces used to use navy blue or black.

Anyway, I don't know much of what goes on in Douglas. I rarely get out of Peel these days. Sometimes if it weren't for my quarterly trips to Liverpool for hiv clinic, I'd probably go six months or more at a time without leaving the West.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:48:04 am »
I rarely get out of Peel these days. Sometimes if it weren't for my quarterly trips to Liverpool for hiv clinic, I'd probably go six months or more at a time without leaving the West.

Do you own a Peel microcar?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:42 am »
Do you own a Peel microcar?

I wish! I haven't had a car in over fifteen years (can't afford one) and is one of the reasons I rarely get out of Peel. I have a bus pass, but there's not much in Douglas (or elsewhere) that I can't get here.

Although saying that, a mate just rang me wanting me to accompany him to the island's one and only DIY store, on the outskirts of Douglas, to advise him on what paint to buy. Such excitement!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:33 am »
I wish! I haven't had a car in over fifteen years

23 years for me sweetpea -- Miss P wins again (*)! LOL++

That Peel car is sublime though. All about the bubble roof.

* please note: the internet is not a contest!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:00:14 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:14 am »
Yes, it's a great little car. There aren't too many still in existence though.

I'm near you in not having my own car in 21 years, but I've been the designated driver of a few boats I've worked on because I was the only crew member who wasn't banned from driving. I always got the car by default. I didn't own them though.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RVW123

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 10:50:38 am »
I can't help sniggering childishly at the mention of a 'Bobby's helmet.'

I once held one, in a dark car park while it's owner was breaking into a car- it was all above board, it was my car, I'd locked the keys in. It was still quite exciting though.

Is it an urban myth that if a pregnant woman is caught short in public a policeman had to let her wee in his helmet?

It's quite sad that they phased them out. It marks the passing of a more innocent time- out with the funny hats, in with stab vests and tasers  :(

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 02:26:21 pm »
Do horny people of all genders and sexualities often try to seduce police officers?  How often would you say police officers are sexually harassed by the public? 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »
Do horny people of all genders and sexualities often try to seduce police officers?  How often would you say police officers are sexually harassed by the public?

I hope RemyG either pleads the 5th or uses his exemption card regarding these questions.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 11:12:09 pm »
Do all gay men search for porn where prisoners get raped seduced by the cops?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 10:04:47 am »

I have been out of town for a few days I will try and review and see what questions I missed.

Technically it is not within Department policy for any employee Civilian or Sworn to accept a discount of food or other items but it happens every day anyway. 7/11’s give out free coffee & water because they want Officers hanging out in their parking lot at night. I remember Best Buy used to sell us any product in their store for cost which means you got to purchase products before the markup. When Best Buy still had that discount for Officers I purchased a brand new Stove, Refrigerator & stacked washer/dryer including the extended 3 year warranty for under $1,000 retail it was probably $3,500.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:40 am »
I think my apartment complex offers a steep discount for police officers who are willing to either A) park a marked car in the parking lot and/or B) offer to be on call sometimes in addition to the regular security.

Personally I am glad. Back in the day, my place used to have some seedy stuff going on in the parking lot on weekends.

There is still a program in place through HUG where Officers can purchase homes for 50% the only requirement is the house has to be not in the greatest of areas and you have to live there for 3 years before selling. I have heard about Officers getting discounts for Apartment Complex as well. I am not sure I would want the management Office knowing what I did for living let alone the neighbors.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 10:10:52 am »

It happens everyday. I have been hit on by men & women of all ages. I even had a woman grab my junk once. When it comes down to trying to get out of a ticker and/or going to jail people will do just about anything.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:34 am »
Do all gay men search for porn where prisoners get raped seduced by the cops?

Not sure if this was a question for me, not really sure I would be the best one to answer this one.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:44 am »
I have been out of town for a few days I will try and review and see what questions I missed.

Technically it is not within Department policy for any employee Civilian or Sworn to accept a discount of food or other items but it happens every day anyway. 7/11’s give out free coffee & water because they want Officers hanging out in their parking lot at night. I remember Best Buy used to sell us any product in their store for cost which means you got to purchase products before the markup. When Best Buy still had that discount for Officers I purchased a brand new Stove, Refrigerator & stacked washer/dryer including the extended 3 year warranty for under $1,000 retail it was probably $3,500.

Wow, corruption anyone?

Another reason why there is a general distrust of the police. 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:17 am »
It happens everyday. I have been hit on by men & women of all ages. I even had a woman grab my junk once. When it comes down to trying to get out of a ticker and/or going to jail people will do just about anything.

Soliciting a law enforcement officer for sex just seems so incredibly stupid I am surprised it happens so often.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:03 am »
Wow, corruption anyone?

Another reason why there is a general distrust of the police.

I do not believe that is corruption at all, you are simply taking advantage of a benefit that is in place. Is it corruption for Verizon to give 25% off of a phone bill? Or a restaurant to give you 50% that is in a high crime area? Especially when the waitress knows he/she is going to get a 50%-60% tip? I believe the word corruption should be used when someone is getting a bribe to look the other way.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 11:32:37 am »
Soliciting a law enforcement officer for sex just seems so incredibly stupid I am surprised it happens so often.

Gymrat,

At all of our Police Station ATM's are located in the lobby so people come and go all time of day/night. A good looking man or woman may come to use the ATM to or from the Club and often hookup with Officers right there in the Station and sometimes get it on inside of the Police Station, Police car or parked along side the Police Station. If you think Officers are bad Fire Fighters are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:24 am »
When I was 20 something a state trooper pulled me over and I gave him a BJ . I liked it ! 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 11:39:47 am »
I do not believe that is corruption at all, you are simply taking advantage of a benefit that is in place. Is it corruption for Verizon to give 25% off of a phone bill? Or a restaurant to give you 50% that is in a high crime area? Especially when the waitress knows he/she is going to get a 50%-60% tip? I believe the word corruption should be used when someone is getting a bribe to look the other way.

Except that police officers are not private company employees.  They are government employees who are tasked with providing service to everyone.  The reason this sort of thing is ALREADY Illegal is what are these businesses that are giving you free shit expecting?   A faster police response when they call?   What about the business that pays its taxes but cant afford to give you free shit, do they get less service?

Comparing police to verizon or any other private business employee isnt valid.  This is why what you are describing IS illegal in most places and why the punlic generally distrusts the police.

Where were u a police officer anyway?  Im sure they wouldnt agree with you.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 11:40:25 am »
When I was 20 something a state trooper pulled me over and I gave him a BJ . I liked it !

Sounds like the start to a porno.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
The international association of police chiefs states this

The most common argument for the "no gratuity" policy is the slippery slope argument. The acceptance of even the smallest benefit will start an inevitable slide toward serious corruption. The only difference in accepting a cup of coffee or $1000 (in unmarked twenties) is the degree of wrongness. Once an officer gets in the habit of receiving things for free, it is easier to accept a large bribe.

http://mobile.officer.com/article/10250436/free-cup-of-coffee

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:23 am »
Except that police officers are not private company employees.  They are government employees who are tasked with providing service to everyone.  The reason this sort of thing is ALREADY Illegal is what are these businesses that are giving you free shit expecting?   A faster police response when they call?   What about the business that pays its taxes but cant afford to give you free shit, do they get less service?

Comparing police to verizon or any other private business employee isnt valid.  This is why what you are describing IS illegal in most places and why the punlic generally distrusts the police.

It isn’t Illegal in the eyes of the Law it is a violation of Department Policy the two are VERY different. If you were ever to take a bribe that is Illegal in the eyes of the Law and a violation of Department policy as well. What is the business expecting in return? My answer would be in hopes that an increased lev el of Police presence keeps the bad guys away. As for faster Police response that may happen on small Department where they are not boggled down with call after call but a BIG Police Department in a BIG City a faster response time just is not going to happen. If someone does not give a discount when you are eating, getting coffee or water you still go there you just know you are not going to get a discount and just like the place that give a discount if and when they call the Police the Police will come as fast as calls allow us to. Each call is a given a number and that number indicates how fast we will respond to a call with violent crimes receiving top priority. I compared Verizon because they give discounts to Officers as well via the cell phone bill of 25% every month, so is Verizon bribing the Police Dept?

I was a Police Officer in South California with a sworn force of over 10,000.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:09 am »

It isn’t Illegal in the eyes of the Law it is a violation of Department Policy the two are VERY different. If you were ever to take a bribe that is Illegal in the eyes of the Law and a violation of Department policy as well. What is the business expecting in return? My answer would be in hopes that an increased lev el of Police presence keeps the bad guys away. As for faster Police response that may happen on small Department where they are not boggled down with call after call but a BIG Police Department in a BIG City a faster response time just is not going to happen. If someone does not give a discount when you are eating, getting coffee or water you still go there you just know you are not going to get a discount and just like the place that give a discount if and when they call the Police the Police will come as fast as calls allow us to. Each call is a given a number and that number indicates how fast we will respond to a call with violent crimes receiving top priority. I compared Verizon because they give discounts to Officers as well via the cell phone bill of 25% every month, so is Verizon bribing the Police Dept?

I was a Police Officer in South California with a sworn force of over 10,000.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
The international association of police chiefs states this

The most common argument for the "no gratuity" policy is the slippery slope argument. The acceptance of even the smallest benefit will start an inevitable slide toward serious corruption. The only difference in accepting a cup of coffee or $1000 (in unmarked twenties) is the degree of wrongness. Once an officer gets in the habit of receiving things for free, it is easier to accept a large bribe.

http://mobile.officer.com/article/10250436/free-cup-of-coffee

I could not disagree with this anymore. A Police Chief is a Political position and a Police Chief will say what the public wants to hear. A Police Chief takes the view of the Mayor, The Police Commission and the public and not very often the view of the Officer. 99.9% of all of Police Chiefs rose up the ranks from recruit to Police Officer and they without a doubt accepted a gratuity so would this not make them a hypocrite? Are 99.9% of the Police Chiefs accepting bribes? Probably not, It is just the nature of the beast and the way things are and the way things will be for many years to come.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »

So we have police officers, expected to uphold the law, doing something illegal. Fascinating.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2012, 12:38:40 pm »
So we have police officers, expected to uphold the law, doing something illegal. Fascinating.

Illegal is against the Law, taking advantage of a program that is in affect long before you came along is working the system in your benefit that the Department frowns upon is a Violation of Department policy. Chances are when you need an Officer to respond to your home or place of business when you call we will show up that is just the way it works. If Officer, Fire Fighters & Military personal are getting things for free is a shock to you I am not sure what to tell you.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »
Putting your job in danger for a donut doesn't sound particularly bright to me. Don't know what to tell you if you think that's wise.

Offline RemyG1971

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 01:26:53 pm »
Putting your job in danger for a donut doesn't sound particularly bright to me. Don't know what to tell you if you think that's wise.

You would not be risking your job accepting a gratuity is not a terminal offense. As I stated not sure how many more times I should state it, anyone on the Department from the Head of the Police Commission to the Mayor to the Chief of Police who says that have never accepted a gratuity is a liar and if enforced they are not only a liar but a hypocrite as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.