Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:01:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: how long is 6 month? (days, weeks)  (Read 6490 times)

Offline dini

how long is 6 month? (days, weeks)
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:49 am »
good day!
this is my first time here..and well hopefully you can understand my broken English... ;D
and yes..i have read the "Please read this" and therefore I would like to ask how long is 6 month really is..

i always thought 3 months is 12 weeks...but it stated there , in this site... that 3 months is 13 weeks...so I guessed there must be some 'mediculculation' that I m not aware of..

so, dear forumners...

is 6 months = 180 days (if 1 months = 30 days) or...
is 6 months = 186 days (if 1 months = 31 days) or...
both above are wrong...for some reasons...?

oh..please help me... it killed me everytime I go for my HIVtest...so I wish I can go there for once for the last time....

Offline md

Re: how long is 6 month? (days, weeks)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:08:10 am »
dini. this forum is for people who think that they may have been infected with HIV.

Since you don't mention why you believe that may have been at risk for infection there is very little that we can do other than to advise you to read the lessons on how HIV is transmitted and remind you to make sure that you always use condoms for anal and vaginal intercourse.

If you do need to be tested then a test taken 13 weeks after the potential exposure is considered definitive.

Rest assured that the HIV virus doesn't sit in your system with a calendar counting the days and worrying about whether 3 months is 12 or 13 weeks, and you shouldn't worry about that either.

Get tested at 13 weeks if the situation warrants it, collect your test results and move on.

Good luck to you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:46:31 am »
dini,

In the UK and most of Europe, the official window period is twelve weeks. In the States, it is thirteen.

The difference between the twelve and thirteen week window periods is academic. A full 52-week year has a total of thirteen four-week periods. However, to neatly divide a year up into quarters, each quarter must have thirteen weeks.

This is the sole difference between the US and UK window periods - a differing definition of what constitutes three months (a quarter of a year).

You don't need to test out to six months, no matter where you live.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dini

Re: Blood topic
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:25:32 am »
good, since i also have question about blood, i ll continue in this topic.

dear all,
I met this girl, and some how we hug and kiss each other after that.
the thing is, after we hug and kiss , and have no sex btw, i notice that
her finger is bleeding. she told me that she hurt herself after clipping her nail. its very small cut, like small cut by her nail. and i can see the blood. im not sure wheter i have any sore or open cut on my body. so that s it, my question here, should i go for the test? im sorry on my lack of information, but i need to know.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:28:11 am by dini »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:46:48 am »
Dini,

I removed your post from the "Blood topic" thread where you posted and placed it here, in your own thread, which is the ONLY place you should be posting. If you've read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guidelines:

• Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

• If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

• Please do not post questions that you have about your own concerns in another person's thread. This is called thread hijacking and we do not encourage this practice.

There are additional posting guidelines and other information in the Welcome thread, so make sure you read it and abide by our guidelines. Please also read the Transmission Lesson linked to in that thread.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection and you do NOT need testing. Once hiv is outside the human body, it quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS CUT-FINGER INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
[/list]

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dini

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:51:44 am »
thanks for the answer Ann....
im sorry Ann...my bad... i thought i can avoid confusing by doing that...  ;)

my next question is...
I would like to know can we get the virus by giving a blowjob. Yes, I know getting blowjob is not the way of transmitting it, but is it both getting and giving?
because i read in other topic that said getting blowjob is not risky but im not sure about giving . Sometimes I give, sometimes receive but I used protection all the time ( me and my male sex partner)  whether it is handjob, or blowjob.
and plus, i have sorethroat for 1 years now.... is that make me much riskiour in this 'giving bj with condom' thing?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:14 am »
At no time have you ever been at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:14:03 am »
dini,

If you have a sore throat, you'll have to see a doctor and get it swabbed to find out what is causing it. It won't be hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dini

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:59 pm »
Thank you very much for the answers….

I ve got something else to ask:

1.   What is the risk if I perform oral sex on someone else without protection? I know -getting- oral sex with or without protection is not a risk…….but what about –giving- oral sex without protection?

2.   And how about –giving- oral sex with sore throat? Is that adding the risk?

3.   The thing about condom failure……made me wander if person stick a needle on the condom, is that making the condom broke when someone use it…….or it wont ruin the condom at all……and that tiny little hole will be there without anyone noticing it?

Thanks again for the answers…….

Ps: I prefer your guys answer....realistic and without prejudice...I still remember the answer n suggestion  gave by my doctor……which make me paralyze for half a year……waiting for the conclusive test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:25:44 am »
Dini,

1. Hiv transmission from giving a blowjob is theoretical at best. As there are over a dozen different proteins and enzymes present in saliva, and the mouth is generally an inhospitable place for a fragile virus like hiv, it's rare in the extreme that it ever happens. The vast majority of patient reports of being infected this way don't hold up to scientific investigation.

2. It depends. If your throat is so raw and sore that you can't even eat, then yes, it could possibly increase the risk. However, you're hardly likely to be giving blowjobs if your throat were that sore.

Why haven't you seen a doctor yet about your sore throat? For all you know it could be gonorrhea, which is commonly transmitted through oral sex - both ways - and the only way you're going to find out what is causing your sore throat is to get a doctor to swab you for the usual suspects (ie. strep, gonorrhea and others - talk to your doctor!).

3. You're letting your imagination run away with you. People don't actually go around sticking needles in condoms. And even if they did, it would lead to obvious condom failure. If you're worried about condoms being sabotaged, I suggest you carry your own condoms and use them.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dini

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:28:22 am »
another releiving answers from Ann.. :)
your hardworking on making people understand in this forum is always amazed
thank you....

I did see the doctor... for the sore throat...its not it..its some sort of allergic

Offline dini

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:13 am »
hi everyone..

i understand that transmission only happened inside the human body, but what is the difinition of inside human body..?
is it like...when your penis entered like 2 cm of someone vagina--- that is already inside...?and that allow transmission to happen? 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 08:28:08 am »
Rubbing against the vaginal lips is NOT a risk for HIV transmission. Inserting your penis without a condom IS a risk.

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. If you put your penis in  without a condom then get tested. If you didn't do that then forget about it and get on with your life. 

And if you're not sure then get tested, collect the inevitable negative result, (based on what you have reported) and then get on with your life. We're not going to get into a cm discussion back and forth with you.
Andy Velez

Offline dini

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »
i relized that it is always tired to entertaine
lot of weird questions.

u can say can stop at 1st paragraph and it already done.

in my country the stigma is very high.  :-\ it could help me
in future to tell people that the virus is very hard to transmitted except when it is
in your body..which drag me to following questions "what is the definition to --inside the body?--"
is it in your mouth? when someone feeding you?  is it in when someone picking your nose? :D or in your ears? (which
of course all of these are not the risk at all) but thats it... :-X

btw...good work and thank you... ;)

chiiill...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »

i relized that it is always tired to entertaine
lot of weird questions.

u can say can stop at 1st paragraph and it already done.

in my country the stigma is very high.

SADLY, THE STIGMA ABOUT HIV IS A WORLDWIDE PROBLEM AND NOT CONFINED TO YOUR COUNTRY.

in future to tell people that the virus is very hard to transmitted except when it is
in your body..which drag me to following questions "what is the definition to --inside the body?--"
is it in your mouth? when someone feeding you?  is it in when someone picking your nose?  or in your ears?

HIV IS TRANSMITTED THROUGH UNPROTECTED VAGINAL AND ANAL INTERCOURSE. NOT THROUGH ANY OF THE OTHER BODY PARTS YOU HAVE MENTIONED. READ OUR LESSON ON TRANSMISSION IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.