Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:49:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 606
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4 count of 13  (Read 8535 times)

Offline bro40

CD4 count of 13
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:40:25 pm »
    I've seen other post with others saying they have had low CD4 counts.  My brother has been in ICU and we just found out he has a CD4 count of 13. He initially had walked in to the ER because his bronchitis turned into pneumonia. Now sedated and on a ventilator and dialysis.  We don't think he knew he was even HIV+. The doc's are saying he's on borrowed time.  He is responding to treatment slowly. Has anyone else dealt with a similar experience?  I don't want my brother to die.  He has to many people and family that love him. We really don't know much about treatment for HIV and were scared for him. Thanks for any experiences shared.

Offline md

Re: CD4 count of 13
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:26 pm »
A CD4 count of 13 is certainly very low but, given appropriate treatment, people have come back from lower than that.

I assume that his doctors have already started him on HAART.

A lot depends on his overall condition and what else may be wrong with him - you mentioned that he is also on dialysis so it sounds as if there may be more problems that just the pneumonia.

You do. however, say that he is "responding to treatment slowly" - that is good news.

Provided that they can get him through the pneumonia and whatever other immediate problems he has then, given time and the right medications it is possible (although, of course, by no means certain) that your brother will get through this although it is going to take time and he isn't just going go get better overnight.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:14:06 am »
Not too long ago, I was hospitalized and determined to be HIV+.  When I had a CD4 count my counts were 15.  Prior to the staph infection that hospitalized me I had not connected the dots that my fatigue and weight loss were connected to HIV.  I am doing fine at the moment and given time his immune system might be able to recover, but nothing is guaranteed.  The CD4 count I just told you about was 3 months ago and I've had no major complications since then.  I have been isolated except for my primary caretaker and am just now beginning to think about going back to work.

If he's in the hospital and on a respirator it is certainly dire, but I promise you the medical professionals are doing everything they can to kick start his immune system.  They will give him intraveinous antibiotics and regulate his HAART in order to begin combatting the virus.  All you can do now is wait and see.

I hope he gets better and please keep us updated.  My thoughts are with you.

-Trey

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:45 am »
bro40, I am sorry to hear about your brother's situation.  I am, however, glad to hear that he is finally receiving the right treatment for his illness. There are quite a number of people that had CD4s around your brother's level if not lower and bounced back.  I'm not sure what "responding slowly" means because every person is different.  I know it took me ~2 months to bounce back from my bout with PCP.  Stay with him and continue to encourage him. Receiving that kind of encouragement was one of the best medicines I got during my time in the hospital.   I wish your brother and family the best.

Offline Stone

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:13:28 am »
His kidneys could be having trouble based on CT scan dye, antibiotics, and medications required for sedation (to keep him down).  The problem with some sedation medication is that sometimes we tank the blood pressure which means we have to add additional medication which also beats up on the kidneys sometimes.  In my experience, you are not out of the race unless he goes into liver failure or develops DIC.  My brothers partner found out he had Stage four cancer and HIV.  He lived 5 years after that diagnosis, worked 50 hours a week, remodeled a home, and took many trips.  You would never guess that he had been that sick, there is always hope

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »
Bro40,
  I'm sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis.  Please keep us updated.

In the meanwhile, that is a low CD4 count, but it can be turned around.  Many many people with HIV find themselves at one point with a low CD4 count and an infection.  You may hear the term AIDS diagnosis as well.  AIDS is just a stage of HIV infection where the immune system has been beat up badly.  Many people can and do recover.

What your brother will need most is the support and love that you and your family can provide.  The fact that you came to this site and took the time to reach out and post shows that you can be there for him.  HIV infection is like playing a slow game of Chess.  Everything takes time.  Time to get better, time to get stronger. 

Judging from your description, your brother is in the right place.  Please keep us updated and let us know if we can help bring some sense to the situation for you.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.