Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:40:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 206
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Question?  (Read 26671 times)

Offline casimir

HIV Question?
« on: June 13, 2006, 01:13:28 pm »
I have been worried sick lately.  I had unprotected sex with a woman who's HIV status is unknown.  I have been having alot of different symptoms that coincidentally coincided with me being on Septra for Chronic Prostatitis.  I had an HIV Elisa test at 4 weeks after my encounter and it came back negative.  Well around week 8 i had a very high temp and was vomiting all the time.  I went in to the doctor and they ran another HIV Elisa and Hepatitis panel at the 8 weeks mark.  Both came back negative again.  My Liver functions were way out of whack.  Very High.  They told me not too worry about HIV that the 8 week test is very reliable.  They have assured me that I was just allergic to the sulfa drug and it caused me to be Hepatoxic.  Well now I am at week 12 and I am having pain in my armpits, dry cough and small canker sore on the tip of my tongue.  My Doc tells me to not worry but I Keep thinking that I may have been infected with HIV.  Please, any advice would be great.  Not sure what to do.  Doc tells me that another HIV test is overboard.
                Worried

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: HIV Question?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:54:51 pm »
casimir,

Unless you have tested in Massachusetts, the official window period in the US is thirteen weeks. The window period at Massachusetts State testing centers is six weeks.

However, it is highly unlikely that your eight week negative will change.

While symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it come to hiv infection, none of the symptoms you report sound like primary hiv.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:56:45 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline casimir

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 03:15:36 pm »
So then the 8 week Elisa test is not accurate?  Why is Massachusetts test considered accurate at 6 weeks.  Is it a different generation test?  Sorry I have so many questions.  Just very confused and worried right now.  I never get sick and now all of a sudden after my sexual encounter with that female I have been sick for 3 weeks.  I am hoping it is stress but I just keep thinking the worst.  All these symptoms just popped out of nowhere, right when they say seroconversion occurs.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 03:29:10 pm »
casimir,

In Massachusetts State testing centers they use only 4th generation ELISA tests. As your doctor is saying that your test is conclusive, perhaps he used a fourth generation. Ask.

As I said, it is highly unlikely that your test result will change, but I have to stick to the official US thirteen week window period (and the official UK window period which is twelve weeks - using the same tests as in the States.)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline casimir

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36:54 pm »
I took the test in the military in Alaska and they sent it to minnesota.  Is the 4th generation elisa more expensive to use and that is why states dont use it?  Thanks so much for helping me with my questions.  I was very stoopid to have unprotected sex and now my conscience has taken over and I cant stop worrying about it/

Offline casimir

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:31 pm »
Sorry to keep bugging you all.  I just was wondering if there was a way to find out what generation test was used for my HIV. Would the doctor know? Like I said before I had a negative test at 4 weeks and 8 1/2 weeks.  Now I am stressing on getting the 13 week test and My Doctor is telling me that I dont really need it and that I should just relax.  He says alot of my symptoms are stress related.  Could stress really cause all these symptoms.  Has anyone ever seen someone test negative at 8 weeks and come up positive later on.  Thanks once again for all your help everyone!  If Andy or Ann or anyone with alot of experience with this issue could respond it would help out alot. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:10:28 pm »
Sorry to keep bugging you all.  I just was wondering if there was a way to find out what generation test was used for my HIV. Would the doctor know? Like I said before I had a negative test at 4 weeks and 8 1/2 weeks.  Now I am stressing on getting the 13 week test and My Doctor is telling me that I dont really need it and that I should just relax.  He says alot of my symptoms are stress related.  Could stress really cause all these symptoms.  Has anyone ever seen someone test negative at 8 weeks and come up positive later on.  Thanks once again for all your help everyone!  If Andy or Ann or anyone with alot of experience with this issue could respond it would help out alot. 

Cas,

The generation of the tests used is really not a concern of mortals like you or me. It's really the province of the boffins and the eggheads. All antibody tests, no matter what their generation or the numbers after their names are reliable at 12-13 weeks.

Trust your doctor. He or she will order the appropriate test for you. You should know that an 8 week negative is extremely good. I would expect that your 13 week test will be negative too.

Fret not, my dear.

MtD

Offline casimir

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:24:51 pm »
Thanks Matty,

Its just hard because my Doc really feels that I dont need another test and he insists that all my symptoms are stress related.  It's like everywhere I turn lately it is like another symptom pops out of nowhere on me.  I have never really been sick my entire life.  I have been a Soldier for seven years and never sick once, now all of sudden boom after this risky encounter with a female, 2 months later my body just goes to crap.  I know everyone probably just thinks im overreacting but its hard not to.  Reading everyones threads helps to know there are alot of people out there just like me but it still worries me.  well I will try and convince him that I need another test, but I am still worried for the result.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:39 pm »
Thanks Matty,

Its just hard because my Doc really feels that I dont need another test and he insists that all my symptoms are stress related.  It's like everywhere I turn lately it is like another symptom pops out of nowhere on me.  I have never really been sick my entire life.  I have been a Soldier for seven years and never sick once, now all of sudden boom after this risky encounter with a female, 2 months later my body just goes to crap.  I know everyone probably just thinks im overreacting but its hard not to.  Reading everyones threads helps to know there are alot of people out there just like me but it still worries me.  well I will try and convince him that I need another test, but I am still worried for the result.

Cas,

Since you've had unprotected sex (I'm presuming it was anal or vaginal) then you do need to test again at week 12 or 13. Unless you're in Masachussetts, where the period is 6 weeks. Again this difference in window periods is to do with the generation of the tests used in the US, and because we're mortals we don't have to worry about that.

We say this a lot, but it bears repeating. Symptoms have diddlysquat to do with diagnosing HIV. No symptom is specific to HIV and given your various other conditions I would think that the cause lies somewhere other than HIV.

The reality is that your 8 week result is an almost certain indicator that you'll test negative at 13 weeks. HIV is difficult to transmit, particularly from female to male. 97% of people who test positive do so at 6 weeks, irrespective of the generation of the test used.

Please read the AIDSMEDS lessons section on HIV transmission and testing. You'll find the link the upper left hand corner of the page.

Regards,

MtD

Offline casimir

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 10:31:24 pm »
Matty,

I had unprotected (vaginal) sex with a female about 6 times total. almost 12 weeks ago.  Is it true that it is hard for the penetrator to catch the virus.   so the 8 1/2 week elisa is fairly indicative of what my outcome would be at 13 weeks because my Doc keeps telling me that i am overreacting and dont need a 13 week.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 10:39:36 pm »
Matty,

I had unprotected (vaginal) sex with a female about 6 times total. almost 12 weeks ago.  Is it true that it is hard for the penetrator to catch the virus.   so the 8 1/2 week elisa is fairly indicative of what my outcome would be at 13 weeks because my Doc keeps telling me that i am overreacting and dont need a 13 week.

It is harder for the insertive partner to contract HIV than the receptive partner. Especially during heterosexual intercourse. You're just going to have to go with your gut on this one, Cas. I cannot tell you that an 8.5 week result is 100% conclusive, unless you're from MA. Here at AIDSMEDS we go by the CDC standard of 13 weeks.

But your chances of testing positive at 13 weeks in light of your 8.5 week result are extremely remote. Not impossible but extremely remote.

MtD

Offline casimir

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 12:30:20 am »
are there any specific reasons that a person would not produce antibodies before 6 weeks are up?  Would taking antibiotics prevent the body from noticing the virus right away and producing antibodies?  Or is it just basically dependent on your body or current health.  I really hope all these symptoms are from the Drug induced hepatitis from the Septra I was taking and not the result of an encounter with HIV.  Also just curious if you have seen anyone that has tested negative around the 8 week and then positive around the 12 week mark.  I know that the CDC says its 13 week and that is what we go by here in the forum, but is that more of a precautionary timeframe or very realistic.  I just keep getting the same info from this doc that tells me with technology today the tests are so sensitive it will always be picked up with the ELISA very early.

Offline LessonLearned

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 12:45:05 am »
Every persons body responds differently to HIV. Taking antibiotics will not skewer your test results. The 13 week window was set by the CDC as conservative window made to catch even the outer liers. You doc is correct in that the test today are highly more accurate in picking up antibodies in a early infection. Regardless of the generation, all tests are accurate by the 13 week mark.

It's highly likely that your 13 week test will confirm your 8 week test.

Offline casimir

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 01:29:38 am »
thanks, I appreciate the reply.  I dont know why all these symptoms just happened and it really freaks me out to take that 13 week test.  Ive been to combat for 3 of the last 5 years and yet I have never been more scared in my life than taking that 13 week test.  If I didnt have these symptoms I wouldnt worry at all but the pain in the armpits, dry cough and sore on tongue just wont seem to go away.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 02:30:40 am »
Cas,

Your symptoms could be a result of a range of things. Things like an abnormal liver function have nothing to do with HIV. It's time to stop focusing on HIV as the sole cause of your problems. Work with your doctor to resolve these issues.

MtD

Offline casimir

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:22 am »
just concerned thats all.  I know what you are saying.  But I just went from a very healthy individual and after this mistake I made all of a sudden I am falling apart or at least it feels that way.  Maybe I am overreacting, but I dont feel like I am.  I dont mean to waste anyones time.  That is not my intent.  I was just looking for advice or answers and I thank everyone for trying to help me out.  As I said before I am just very concerned! Thats all

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 03:14:44 am »
Cas,

It's cool. I don't doubt that you're ill and if posting here has helped educate you about how HIV and other STD's are transmitted, that's good. It's what this forum is all about. It's important stuff to know. I also appreciate that going from being a healthy person to being really sick is a big worry for anybody.

Just don't let your fears about HIV obscure what's really happening to you.

Regards,

MtD

Offline casimir

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 09:23:56 am »
thanks, im not letting HIV obscure anything.  I just did alot studying about the virus and it just seems like everything that has been happening lately is related very closely to HIV.  I hope it isnt and that it is something else.  I pray for that everynight.  I just hope that the 4 and 8 week ELISA's were correct and I dont have it.  Thanks for your time!!!!

Offline casimir

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 01:25:44 pm »
I just got back from the Doctor and he found an enlarged lymph node in my left arm pit.  Is this something I should worry about.  I also took my 13 week HIV ELISA Test and now I have to wait 2 weeks for the results. I wish it wouldnt take that long.  I have been all stressed out lately because of this and it is starting to affect everything I do.  I am trying to get ready to head back to IRaq and now I have to worry about this because of my own stoopid decision.  The next 2 weeks are going to be hell for me.

Offline casimir

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 04:17:16 pm »
I also got a CBC that came back normal.  Lymphocytes were normal.  RBC's normal, WBC's normal.  Would these labs be out of whack at 12 weeks. But still elevated liver function.  also took the ELISA again as i said before, two weeks before it comes back.  the symptoms I have right now are dry cough, sore throat, pain in armpit(lymph node).  Any ideas?

Offline casimir

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 09:32:32 pm »
?

Offline Dogstar

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 09:52:48 pm »
You're living a nightmare my friend. You seem to have way more anxiety than anything else. I was once in your shoes, but I got help and then miraculously got better. You have been given sage advice here from many. The worry wagon stops here. Stop reading about symptoms and do something to occupy your mind until your test results come in. Good luck!   Dogstar

Offline casimir

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 10:33:48 pm »
im trying it is just hard not to think about it.  I know I should stop reading about all these symptoms but not a minute goes by that I am not worrying about my situation and I have noone to blame but myself.  I just hope that 8 week ELISA test was a good indicator.  I dont know, I hope Im just paranoid, i just dont think so.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 10:42:29 pm »
8 weeks is an EXCELLENT indicator. But 13 weeks is still considered definitive, unless your doctor assures you that he uses a 4th gen test.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline casimir

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 01:28:01 am »
JK Thanks alot for your reply.  My DOC does not know what generation the test was.  In your experience have you seen anyone who wasnt already in bad health due to chemo, etc. that tested positive after testing negative at 8 weeks.  Just curious.  I dont have any experience with this subject.  once again thanks for everything.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 05:03:22 am »
casimir,

It would be highly unusual for your eight week negative to change. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and even more so from a woman to a man. The odds always were in your favour of testing negative.

Have you been screened for the other STIs? If you also went down on this woman you should also have your throat swabbed for STIs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea. With that sore on your tongue, you should also check for syphilis. You should be looking for other possible causes for your symptoms because it is extremely doubtful that you have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline casimir

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:52 am »
Yes, I got the full STD Panel and they all came back negative.  Just keep having these reoccurring, nonstiopping symptoms of something.  I just read way too much on the internet and got my self all worked up now.  It's just hard to get this out of my head now.  Im sorry I keep asking so many questions.   The sore on my tongue went away today but I still cant shake this cough or pain in my armpits

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 01:09:49 pm »
Fortunately feelings aren't facts. Test results are facts and yours so far point with some certainty towards my expectation that you will continue to test negative for HIV. You had a single unprotected incident. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's harder (significantly) to transmit from female to male. With an 8.5 negative under your belt at this point, you've got all but a slam dunk in your future at 13 weeks.

Instead of coming up with more questions and trying to nail down more details with certainty, what you need to do in the remaining waiting time is stay productively busy. You'll be amazed at how quickly the time can pass if you do that. No kidding.

I can promise you that between now and your 13 week test you may well notice lumps, bumps, rashes, aches and whatever else. All of course that nothing to do with HIV. Tell you mind to give it a rest.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline casimir

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 08:10:41 pm »
Thanks Andy,  I actually had unprotected vaginal sex with her about 6 total times during a weekend in Miami.  I will do my best to keep my mind off of it for the next 2 weeks.  I just wish the results would come back sooner.  it takes so long when you are worried,  God I hope I get another chance.  Just scared and praying that I come back negative when the test comes back. 

Offline casimir

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 01:36:12 am »
now I have some type of blisters on the left side of my mouth.  One of them popped, not sure where they came from?  Still pain in Armpits and I havent touched that area in hours.  WTF

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 06:12:56 am »
casmir,

We cannot tell you what is going on with your mouth. Please go see a doctor. There are several things it could be - including but not limited to herpes (aka coldsores), canker sores or even one of the coxsackie viruses. You won't know until you go see a doctor about it. None of these things have the slightest thing to do with hiv.

Whatever it is, it's nothing to do with hiv. Your eight week negative result is the next best thing to your final all clear at three months.

Get off the internet and go see your doctor. You won't get a diagnosis over the internet.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline casimir

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 12:47:40 pm »
Thanks Ann,  I have talked to my doctor and he told me that ii is normal. and he reiterated again that my 8 week elisa should be good enough.  I just had read that mouth sores are a non specific symptom of HIV infection. Sorry! As I said before I ended up taking another 12 week elisa and I wont get the results back for about 2 weeks.  Just stressing because of the long wait.  Anybody out there heard of someone testing positive after testing negative at 8 weeks that didnt have previous immune system problems?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:45 pm »
NO!!

Offline casimir

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 03:59:01 pm »
thanks Rod i was just curious

Offline casimir

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 10:07:50 pm »
  ???

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 10:15:46 pm »
Please do not needlessly 'bump' your thread.  Unless you have additional questions, the bumping of threads here is highly frowned upon.  It is disrespectful to other users of this forum who do have questions.  All your questions have been answered.

Bumping will not solicit additional responses to questions already answered.  Thank you for your consideration of other users of this forum.

Offline casimir

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2006, 01:29:33 am »
Sorry It wont happen again!!

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 01:31:53 am »
yah, that was another needless bump which the end result of is that the people who are actually responding to you will likely stop.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:34:00 am by DingoBoi »

Offline casimir

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2006, 06:31:29 pm »
I know everyone keep saying that there are no HIV specific symptoms but during seroconversion what are some possible S/S?  Why does every HIV article I read talk about very specific HIV signs and symptoms? and also is there a date when the whole US will begin using the 4th Generation Elisa tests?  Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2006, 07:04:15 pm »
Casimir,

Take a good long look at those symptom lists. Every single one of them can be caused by many (if not hundreds of) different illnesses. This is what is meant by symptoms being non-specific for hiv.

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing because while some people do experience some of these very general symptoms, many people experience nothing at all. We would be doing everyone a disservice by concentrating on symptoms, because someone reading this forum who has had a serious risk of infection might think they do not need to test because they are experiencing no symptoms.

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Someone who has had a risk needs to test regardless of symptoms and someone who has not had a risk does not need to test, regardless of symptoms.

I haven't a clue when everyone will start using the latest hiv tests and I doubt anyone else does either.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:06:06 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2006, 10:12:59 pm »
What does it matter when they will use the Generation IV test? Unless you are going to campaign for it, it has little to do with your story. Why do symptoms always get posted on websites? Well, because there are symptoms that people who have recently seroconverted list as signs of acute HIV replication. However, they are non-specific, variable and often not present - so any website calling them "Specific" is wrong. You can not diagnose HIV based on symptoms and you can not say that you have HIV just because you have some symptoms. I don't care if you took a needlestick in the arm with HIV infected blood. They can mean anything, and in the vast majority of cases they are just that - nothing. Do yourself a favor and stop concentrating on symptoms. For HIV, it means very little. Get to a doctor if they persist to get at the root cause. HIV is the least likely.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline casimir

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2006, 10:47:44 pm »
HIV Worker,  GOt it,  Sorry to post the symptoms.  Have you heard of anyone that was relatively healthy with no previous immune disorders testing positive at 13 weeks that previously tested negative at 8.5 weeks on the ELISA?  My specific risk was unprotected vaginal sex.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2006, 10:52:02 pm »
Yes, thats why the window period is 13 weeks and not 8.5. Not many though. Most test positive within 6 weeks.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline casimir

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 02:08:47 am »
Why would it take a relatively healthy person so long to develop antibodies to HIV if they were indeed infected.  I just have no other explanation for my body reacting this way.  I have never really gotten sick my entire life.  NOw all of sudden bumps on my tongue, a cough that wont go away(3 weeks) and pain in my armpits.  I am not a Doctor but I dont think stress could cause all these symtoms to last this long. I just know my test is going to come back bad now!  I was just praying that only immune depressed people would be the only ones that would take so long to produce antibodies.   Scared now

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 07:27:19 am »
with all due respect Ann, Im not quite sure the stress website is that good a website to be quoting when it says this:

Prognosis if untreated

Long term stress can cause or exacerbate many physical ailments. These include heart attacks, asthma, ulcers, irritable bowel, colitis, spots, eczema, dermatitis, alopecia (hairloss), dandruff, herpes, shingles, high blood pressure, strokes, and such immune related illnesses as colds, pneumonia, bronchitis and influenza. According to some researchers, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, auto-immune disorders, AIDS and cancer are all more likely with prolonged stress.

The fact they say AIDS can happen with prolonged stress is a major worry for me, that there is info like this out there for people to pick up on

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 08:18:45 am »
Lassie,

I removed my post (you must have been composing your response at the time) because I discovered that casimir was abusing this website by creating multiple accounts (Einhoven) and I didn't feel as though he should have the benefit of my research.

In fact, I'm going to lock this thread until casimir/Einhoven comes back to his Einhoven thread, apologises and agrees to go back to using his casimir account and his casimir account only.

You misunderstand the bit you took out of one of the links I had listed. You will note that it says prolonged stress can make people more prone to developing aids. ("AIDS and cancer are all more likely with prolonged stress.")
 It does NOT say that it makes people more prone to becoming infected with hiv. What it means is someone who is already hiv positive will be more prone to disease progression to aids if they are under constant stress. Anyone who is hiv positive will know how true this is.

People do NOT become infected with aids. Aids is something that happens when a person is hiv positive. You can't have aids without already being hiv positive. I hope that makes things more clear to you.

Ann

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:21:54 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline casimir

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 12:29:38 am »
Hey guys,  Its been another week and I am still waiting on my test results to come back from my 12 week elisa test.  i am still having alot of pain in my chest and armpits (Lymph nodes) and I still have not gotten rid of this cold.  I hope it is the stress that is causing all of this but I keep thinking that for sure it is HIV.  I am not sure what else I can do.  My time is going so slow and I keep myself very busy.  Could stress really cause all this? , and does anyone know what percentage of people who are HIV pos  that tested negative at 8 weeks and then Positive at 12 weeks.  I thank you all for your responses.  Casimir

Offline casimir

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 12:34:46 am »
I apologize to everyone for setting up a second account.  I was just very anxious over everything and it didnt seem like anyone was replying to my thread.  I sincerely apologize to everyone out here,  I dont mean to waste anyones time and I really appreciate everyones help!!!  Thanks to Ann, Matty, Andy, JK and everyone else out there!  My sincerest apologies, Casimir

Its been another week and I am still waiting on my test results to come back from my 12 week elisa test.  i am still having alot of pain in my chest and armpits (Lymph nodes) and I still have not gotten rid of this cold.  I hope it is the stress that is causing all of this but I keep thinking that for sure it is HIV.  I am not sure what else I can do.  My time is going so slow and I keep myself very busy.  Could stress really cause all this? , and does anyone know what percentage of people who are HIV pos  that tested negative at 8 weeks and then Positive at 12 weeks.  I thank you all for your responses.  Casimir

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2006, 01:22:24 am »
I was just very anxious over everything and it didnt seem like anyone was replying to my thread.

20 responses were made to this thread continuing regularly right up until you created the new account with multiple posts made by 2 moderators and many esteemed persons of this site.  Your statement does not support the facts of the matter, but that is for the mods to deal with who i'm sure would prefer you to use just the one account so you don't waste the time of people who are actually living with hiv answering the same questions under your different names.  Time is precious for us and to waste it is an incredible abuse of this site.

If you haven't done so...

Please be sure to read the

which will explain many of the rules here.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:43:25 am by DingoBoi »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2006, 08:01:37 am »
casimir,

Why don't you have another, conclusive test run and be done with it? You said in your first post that it had been twelve weeks, so a test now will be conclusive.

You don't have to go through your doctor. Check out this HIV testing center database and ring for an appointment at a center near you. Try to find one that has the 20 minute test available, for your own sake.

I'm fully expecting your conclusive test to also be negative. I have never seen someone test negative at eight weeks and go on to test positive, since I've been a member since 2001.

Get your conclusive negative and put this incident behind you. Use condoms from now on so you don't have this worry again. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted disease. Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.