Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:32:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 281
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How far have we gone?  (Read 23014 times)

Offline sensual1973

How far have we gone?
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »
Since my diagnosis in 2001 i have been checking this site out,and ever since all i hear is : "but scientists warn that it will take many years before we see a cure..etc.",or "it will take another 10 years for so and so ...".How do people here feel about all this?,what's with the research and the new discoveries,and findings that make headline news here or in the media then fade away and we never hear about them again?.Any feedback is appreciated,Thanks.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: How far have we gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 10:32:28 pm »
Trust me, that's been going on since I was diagnosed too which is twice as long as you.

... just 10 more years folks!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:25 pm »
I try to consentrate on living life to the fullest with HIV . I have been poz 30 years so looking for a cure story has lost its shine for me . I have a feeling the news media will drop me a clue if a cure or something notable comes around and I can do the happy dance with the best of them then .

I am interested in living and sharing information about living a full meaningful life despite HIV . Since I have HIV and I dont have a cure I make the best of what I have . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:53:26 pm »
When the US Secretary of Health announced that scientists had discovered the virus that causes AIDS she said a vaccine would be ready in two years.

Thirty years later..................

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:12:39 pm »
Word of advice to you younger members . You only get one time to be young and have your days in the sun so I would try hard and do the work to except the things in life you can not change . Go climb a mountain or do a zip line or maybe volunteer somewhere but don't spend your young life wanting something you haven't got , it only takes you away from the joys in life when you chase your sorrows .

I haven't given up on a cure but a cure isn't something I can make or control and I can make a better day for my friends and myself too .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:31:47 am »
Hey Sensual;

I agree with the vast majority of responses so far here - things are going to take some time, and we need to focus on truly living life today.

That said, we are in a very different time today than we were ten years ago. The advancements in technology - from nano-medicine to the humanized mouse to stem cell advancements are the stuff of science fiction just a few years ago. From a scientific or medical technology perspective, I don't believe that the last ten years are a good prediction of the next ten years.

Sadly, even with the scientific advancements I believe it will take 5 - 10 years for a major breakthrough because of limited funding and our protracted process of medical trials. The science is evolving faster than our societal abilities to convert it to clinical benefits.

I think this is supported by the March 6th, 2013 Treatment Action Group report
Funding Scientific Innovation: Global Investments in HIV Treatment Research and Development in 2010 and 2011, which can be found here:

www.treatmentactiongroup.org/hiv

This situation raises an interesting question in my mind - which is where are the best leverage points for HIV advocacy? My personal perspective is that there is a strong humanitarian and financial case to be made to speeding up the development of a cure.

Ok, now off to climb a mountain or do a zip line....

JM

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 04:18:16 am »
of course am not waiting for the cure to come next year,but i only wanted to hear the feedback.I do also believe what Jeff G had said is very true,a day at a time and do what we are supposed to do to benefit from this life,if the cure comes then happens all the best,and if it does'nt then my meds are really doing well so far.Best to all.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline aaware72

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:56:28 am »
I been positive since 01/18/13.  I have done a lot of reading and such.  From what I can tell most are not doing research on finding a cure.  Most are working medication to prevent infection and treat infection.  I have read about one company that has changed their focus on these two above item and are now working and researching on medication to root out the virus from where it hides in the body. 
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
I read in the supermarket checkout line that them Frogs cured a dozen people of the AIDS so I guess it happened already and as usual the cure is just for rich and fancy people and famous people like Michael Jordan. They just want the AIDS suckers to keep paying. It's all a racket I tell you.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:48 am »

I am interested in living and sharing information about living a full meaningful life despite HIV . Since I have HIV and I dont have a cure I make the best of what I have . 

Jeff, I'm down on bended knee. Will you marry me? (I get to be "the man". Deal with it!) ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
Jeff, I'm down on bended knee. Will you marry me? (I get to be "the man". Deal with it!) ;D

For Shimpees ... I except , but I am DA man and you will have to deal with a few sister wives . It will be like our little cult except for any kind of organization or poisen koolaid .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:30 am »
I read in the supermarket checkout line that them Frogs cured a dozen people of the AIDS so I guess it happened already and as usual the cure is just for rich and fancy people and famous people like Michael Jordan. They just want the AIDS suckers to keep paying. It's all a racket I tell you.

Who knew? Michael Jordan has da AIDS.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:40:21 am by Dachshund »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:03 am »
For Shimpees ... I except , but I am DA man and you will have to deal with a few sister wives . It will be like our little cult except for any kind of organization or poisen koolaid .

As long as I get my designated nights with the sister wives too (you can't have all the fun), I'm very happy with that arrangement. Shall we set a date?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:10 am »

Who knew? Michael Jordan has da AIDS.

I kind hate to say it but I think mecch is trying to say all Aids patients look alike . His fatal flaw being MJ doesn't have DA aids or if he does he ain't bragging all over town like Magic . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:56:08 am »
As for the recent cure buzz that's been going through the media, I think this article puts things in a good perspective.

I often wonder why many (not referring to anyone in this thread, just speaking generally) seem to have such difficulties to grasp how research is conducted. It's not like those scientists could plan future breakthrough discoveries ahead of time and they are just being mean to keep us in the dark about when they will finally cure AIDS. There is no road map for upcoming discoveries.
If scientists make predictions about how long it's going to take, it's just an educated guess, not more not less. They have a good idea about where we stand right now and what pieces of the puzzle are missing. And then you add the years it takes to do the clinical trials, get it approved etc.
I think it's unfair to compare the predictions some scientists made in the 80s ('A vaccine is just a few years away') with predictions that are being made now. In the 80s they had not the slightest idea of what they were dealing with. Life sciences have made incredible progress since then and there are some 200000+ publications on HIV today.
Here's a cumulative plot of the HIV-related publications over the years.

There is quite a bit of cure-related research going on. Several groups work on therapeutic vaccines which may lead to a functional cure one day (depending on your definition) and there is plenty of research into the latent cells.

Anyway, all we can do is wait. I'm optimistic but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:36 am »
At my age, I just try and live everyday like it's my last, I wasn't even suppose to be alive past the early 90's

I'm just trying to make the best out of whatever my life w/ AIDS
throws at me,

and I must say thur the yrs. I've been throw a lotta
curve balls ( so to speak)

To be honest here & frank, I don't even think about AIDS like I use to
I've had it way too long to continue to dwell on it

I just throw my 2 pills a day down my gullet and still hope the best  ;)

HUGS

DEN   :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:25:43 am »
I kind hate to say it but I think mecch is trying to say all Aids patients look alike . His fatal flaw being MJ doesn't have DA aids or if he does he ain't bragging all over town like Magic .

Really? I just think she got her Aids infected former NBA stars mixed up. Easy to do because Magic was never in the news.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
Just trying to speak in "dumb tongues".  I mean we all compound everything so why not basketball legends and HIV and AIDS and what is a cure and what is a functional cure and who gets what anyway in this capitalistic world. I remember when dying Rock Hudson flew over to Paris people believed he might get a fancy french AIDS CURE.  8) 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »
Considering that we didn't even have a test for this virus in the beginning, I'd say we've come pretty far.  To be given a "death sentence" because there were NO treatments and now to have many treatment options says a lot!

If you ask a lot of us old farts, you'd probably hear that attitudes towards this virus played a pivotal role in surviving.  I watched too many succumb to the virus mentally before physical issues arrived.

I was determined to survive in spite of being told that I could possibly live to be 30.  And between the different AIDsy periods, I experienced as much life as possible.  I learned long ago to not drive myself crazy worrying about the future of this virus and deal with the here and now.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
what is a cure and what is a functional cure and who gets what anyway in this capitalistic world. 

The giant leap forward in research by China and North Korea is stunning.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »
The giant leap forward in research by China and North Korea is stunning.

I'm not quite sure if you're being facetious or not (because I'm not a cure-hound). If you're not, do you have any links regarding hiv research going on in either place (preferably NK)?

I'm pretty sure they're doing some in China, but N. Korea? Hmmm....

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
North Korea officially claims that HIV has not reached their country, so why would they bother investing money in a cure when it could be better used in uranium production?

ps: Kim Jong Un is a flame-baiting troll.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
I'm not quite sure if you're being facetious or not (because I'm not a cure-hound). If you're not, do you have any links regarding hiv research going on in either place (preferably NK)?

I'm pretty sure they're doing some in China, but N. Korea? Hmmm....

Put down your bottle dear and read what I was quoting.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:54 pm »
North Korea officially claims that HIV has not reached their country, so why would they bother investing money in a cure when it could be better used in uranium production?

Jeeze Ms. P, did you read what I was quoting?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 02:01:50 pm »
Jeeze Ms. P, did you read what I was quoting?

No, I limited myself to only reading Ann's quote of yours because this would better assist me in causing thread drift.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 02:10:41 pm »
No, I limited myself to only reading Ann's quote of yours because this would better assist me in causing thread drift.

mission accomplished ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 02:12:34 pm »

Agreed. On all counts.

However, you can bet there's hiv research going on in China - they're all about science and technology these days.

That's why I wasn't sure if Aunt Doxie was being facetious or not.

~sigh~ People have been posting while I'm trying to post and simultaneously let cats in from the terrible snow-storm we're experiencing at the moment.

Put down your bottle dear and read what I was quoting.

If by "bottle" you mean "cup of coffee", I always put it down before I type because I type with two hands. I don't drink alcohol in the house.

I did read what you were quoting. I still wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not. It can be difficult to tell with you sometimes.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »
Sorry, I'll dumb-it-down next time. :P

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »
Sorry, I'll dumb-it-down next time. :P

Maybe just stay out of a thread next time if all you have to offer are facetious one-liners.

Can we get back on topic now?

Thank you.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 02:49:47 pm »
Maybe just stay out of a thread next time if all you have to offer are facetious one-liners.

Can we get back on topic now?

Thank you.

My, prickly aren't we? The thread had veered long before I got to it. Happens all the time and sometimes with your participation. Your proposal to Jeff comes to mind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 02:51:55 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 02:59:54 pm »
My, prickly aren't we? The thread had veered long before I got to it. Happens all the time and sometimes with your participation. Your proposal to Jeff comes to mind.

The thread veered off, admittedly, then got back on track again. I was trying to re-rail it again.

I was honestly flummoxed whether you were being facetious or not with your comment about China and NK. It can be difficult to tell with you sometimes.

As you obviously do not have any links to share about hiv research in China and/or NK, can we please move on now and let the discussion get back on track? This isn't OT.

Thanks.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 03:28:21 pm »
Okay, let me explain. I was facetiously responding to mecch's post where he said something about capitalism controlling a "cure." Since capitalist countries have led and still lead in AIDS research I posted what was an obvious tongue in cheek reference to the stunning research being done in China and North Korea. So you see, it actually was kinda-sorta on topic. I freely admit that I have no inside information regarding North Korea and AIDS research. If I had to guess I would say it didn't exist. Or a cure for AIDS for that matter. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 04:50:48 pm »
Okay, let me explain. I was facetiously responding to mecch's post where he said something about capitalism controlling a "cure." Since capitalist countries have led and still lead in AIDS research I posted what was an obvious tongue in cheek reference to the stunning research being done in China and North Korea. So you see, it actually was kinda-sorta on topic. I freely admit that I have no inside information regarding North Korea and AIDS research. If I had to guess I would say it didn't exist. Or a cure for AIDS for that matter. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Geez. I was speaking in tongues and Dachshund was being sarcastic.   :o  Sorry this was hard to follow by others, or better yet so poorly executed by moi.

Silly word play aside. The topic. Yeah we've gone far, and aways to go before the cure.  To the OP - nobody has a crystal ball...  Whats your opinion?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »
let's say that a cure is discovered tomorrow (just for arguments sake), what concerns me is who would have access to it?

let's just say it's gene therapy cure.  the treatment could very easily cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  considering arvs have turned hiv into a "chronically manageable" disease which is unlikely to be transmitted with proper treatment, what's the incentive to pay for a cure?

Insurance, Medicare, VA, Medicaid, NHS, and other nationalized health care may opt for the less expensive option of treatment versus paying for a cure.

what about the majority of the world that's having a hard time affording arvs?  Africa, India, Central and South America would not be able to cover the cost.  You could very well end up with a class divide of those cured and those not.  Just a thought.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »
I don't spend much time thinking about a cure. It would be nice, definitely, but we're still far off from that day.

In the meantime, I think about how humane it would be for everyone in the world who lives with hiv to have affordable, sustainable access to healthcare and the treatments we already have.

I think about it, but I have no answers. I wish I did.

I don't know if anyone has an answer as to how one persuades governments and others in power to understand that health care should be a human right, not a blessing to be wished for* - nor a commodity to be bought.

*a nod to Kofi Annan

As for China, there is no doubt in my mind that they are doing plenty of hiv research, we're just not hearing about it. I doubt their citizens know about it either. China has one of the fastest growing economies in the world and they're all about technology. Hiv research is a type of technology, one that could net them billions. You bet they're researching hiv.

North Korea? Are pigs flying yet?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 05:16:53 pm »

what about the majority of the world that's having a hard time affording arvs?  Africa, India, Central and South America would not be able to cover the cost.  You could very well end up with a class divide of those cured and those not.  Just a thought.

I think you hit the point right on target , there already is a class divide when it comes to healthcare . I cant find a link but I did read something once that discussed the expense of ARV 's and the cost involved to treat HIV . It only takes about 8 years to rack up comparable medical bills to that of a stem cell procedure .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »

HIV positive for 28 years and not focusing on a cure.  Of course, it would nice but I am not putting my pinch money on the table for a near horizon cure. Just living my life each day the best I can.

By the way, those people talking about frog AIDS cures were hallucinating since that can happen when you go out frog licking: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/features/article/tripping-over-psychoactive-toads/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:22:05 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »
If I see a "cure" article on the homepage, I will read it.  But, I don't actively seek it out. 

I am more interested in the articles about research into boosting the immune system to fight HIV better, along side ARV's.  Or, possible therapies where you'd take meds once a week or month.  The cure articles can be educational.  I mean, if you are still learning how the immune system works and how viruses attack it, then some of those articles can teach you what different biological processes are and how they work.

I find it amazing how much has been learned, in a fairly short time.  HAART introduced in 1996 seems nothing but amazing to me.  I would have thought it would have taken much longer.  To find out how far we've come, I think reading the threads/articles in this forum will give a history of all the studies and possible achievements.  If there is a study, it is probably posted here and broken down by smart folks here, so that even I can understand it. 

Offline xman

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 04:17:13 pm »
in my opinion the major hurdle is adequate funding in hiv cure research. more money is spent in vaccine research which in 3 decades wasn't able to provide any meaningful results. the thai vaccine provided a 30% protection but the result is controversial and brought more questions than answers.

we wasted several years in cure research. one cause was the decision to stop the stem cell research by the bush administration in 2001.

but we have the power to contribute in accelerating the path toward a cure. we can support organizations like the aids policy project or amfar which are pressing to increase the funds.

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 06:56:03 am »
From China Daily :

The second phase of a human trial for China’s potential HIV vaccine started on Tuesday in Beijing.

About 150 volunteers, mostly those with a high risk of contracting HIV, including gay people, took part in the clinical trial.

Shao Yiming, director of the virology and immunology department of the National Center for AIDS/STD Control and Prevention, said at a news conference that the trial will last nearly two years in the Beijing You’an Hospital of the Capital Medical University.

"The phase 2 clinical trial mainly aims to test the vaccine’s safety and is crucial for the introduction of the next phase, which will test its effectiveness," Shao told China Daily.

"The vaccine candidate is promising, as the phase 1 trial conducted among 46 volunteers found that it could induce immune responses to HIV among some recipients," said Shao, one of the founders of the China AIDS Vaccine Initiative.

Results of the latest trials are expected to be released in two years, said Zhang Chong, a doctor with Beijing You’an Hospital.

By 2011, China had 780,000 people living with HIV/AIDS on the mainland, government estimates showed.

Shao also urged the government to keep investing in the research of an HIV vaccine.

A UNAIDS report said that China invested at least $18 million in HIV vaccine research and development in 2010, making it the third-largest spender in the world after the United States and the European Union.

China currently has three major HIV vaccine candidates under development on the mainland, all financed by the government,[/b] Shao said.

"China still needs more, as many developed countries like the US usually have more than 10 to have a better chance of success," he said.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-08/15/content_15676301.htm
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline mecch

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 09:34:45 am »
Good for the Chinese.  Maybe they'll be the geniuses or lucky capitalists to make a breakthrough.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »
Considering the Chinese can't seem to make children's toys without lead in them and dog treats that dont kill thousands of pets I'd be a bit skeptical at any Chinese Vaccine.

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 07:06:34 am »
Here's a Cuban trial for an HIV vaccine.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptic about research from China. I think they lack the long established research facilities and culture that other countries have. But maybe they will catch up some time.

Offline mecch

Offline sam66

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:36 am »
http://archive.sciencewatch.com/dr/cou/2012/12janALLgraphs/

Good find, makes sense, Asia Pacific is where the action is , considering most countries in that region have a annual growth rate of around 8 % year on year. whereas the west is struggling to achieve even 1% ( UK -.5% this year USA less than 1% )
          Lets hope they keep increasing funding on research.

Here's a Cuban trial for an HIV vaccine.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptic about research from China. I think they lack the long established research facilities and culture that other countries have. But maybe they will catch up some time.

3000 year old Chinese civilisation  lacks culture ?  ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:47 am »
Good find, makes sense, Asia Pacific is where the action is , considering most countries in that region have a annual growth rate of around 8 % year on year. whereas the west is struggling to achieve even 1% ( UK -.5% this year USA less than 1% )

Actually the latest projections for the US are +2.3% to +2.8% in 2013 (Federal Reserve).

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 12:38:35 pm »
I guess my statement was unclear. I didn't mean culture in general, of course. I was talking about long established research facilities and a certain research culture. My point is that, no matter how much money you invest, you can't build a second Harvard or Oxford in a vacuum and expect it to produce great discoveries by tomorrow.

http://archive.sciencewatch.com/dr/cou/2012/12janALLgraphs/
Interesting. That suggests they are indeed catching up. (Although I don't think that the number of citations alone is a great indicator)

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
Yes that's citations across 22 fields, not just medical research.
I'm wouldn't be surprised if some major breakthrough comes through anywhere, and even in some rather low investment small-scale research setting...

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:04 am »
Considering the Chinese can't seem to make children's toys without lead in them and dog treats that dont kill thousands of pets I'd be a bit skeptical at any Chinese Vaccine.

Disclaimer: I'm an ethnic Chinese and I feel the urge to respond to your post (probably out of solidarity with my very distant PRC cousins?). Sure, there are morally dubious companies in China and given the lax/non-existent regulatory framework for many industries there, it is hardly surprising. However, data for medicine and vaccine trials need to be published for scrutiny by the entire scientific community before it is accepted as a treatment option. Do you trust accept Atripla as a treatment option for HIV just because it is developed by a 'good ol American Company'? Or approved by the FDA? I think you trust the data on Atripla because many scientists around the world working on HIV treatments have critically examined the data and raised no objections to it.
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline sam66

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:50 am »
Sure, there are morally dubious companies in China and given the lax/non-existent regulatory framework for many industries there, it is hardly surprising.

Yes just like companies in Europe substitute horse meat instead of beef, and sell it as beef 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.