Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:52:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 193
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question  (Read 4850 times)

Offline longone

Question
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:15:29 pm »
How long does HIV live outside the body. So many think air and light kill it right away??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:42:25 am »
Long,

I urge you to read the Welcome Thread and take note of our posting guidelines. I see you posted in the "I just tested poz" forum - and you should not be posting anywhere on this site other than this forum and maybe on occasion the Off Topic forum.

Please also read through the Lessons that are linked to in the Welcome thread.

Viruses, including hiv, are not "alive" in the normal sense - they are active or inactive. Hiv is a very fragile virus that quickly becomes damaged and inactivated when outside its preferred environment of the human body.

Changes in moisture levels, pH levels and temperature all damage the outer envelope that surrounds hiv. Hiv needs this envelope - and the plugs on the envelope's surface - to be intact and undamaged in order to infect a new host. This happens very quickly when hiv finds itself outside the human body.

Successful hiv infection normally occurs INSIDE the body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse and very, very rarely, inside the mouth when giving a blowjob. The mouth is a very hostile environment for hiv and there must be unusual circumstances for transmission to occur in the mouth.

So that leaves unprotected intercourse as the main route for hiv transmission to occur.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Check out the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline longone

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:01:40 am »
Thanks for the good info. Should have know not to post on the POZ page,sorry.
I have read about the life cycle of the virus outside of the body. I also know viruses are indeed not living organisms.
A lot of questions though about the anal figuring and the possibility of pre-cum or ejaculate being on ones finger causing infection. Thought I would pose the scenario to the experts. I think unlikely because the semen would have been outside of the body at first.

Aha sex; all kinds of strange things can happen.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 09:05:43 am »
long,

Using cum or precum for lube probably isn't the best idea, because of the risk for other STIs. It's not a risk for hiv.

It would be far better to use some of that water-based lube you should always keep on hand for use with condoms.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline longone

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:31:18 am »
"JK stated-"Pre-ejaculatory fluid can contain more virus than semen, in the right circumstances." Doesn't this infer that it can also transmit the virus?"

This was extracted from Locopoco pre-cum thread. I have alot of respect for JK and his info however it has led me to the following questions.

I have read pre-cum contains less virus then semen. I have also read reports in which the Dr. were not even sure wheather it contained the virus or not. What is the lattes on it?

It was also stated by many that pre-cum used as a lub it really not a risk because of the out of body factors. I can see this in mutual masterbation but how about if pre-cum or for that matter cum got on fingers while getting fingered. Would that not be a risk even though the cum had first been ejaculated outside the body and then by some means found it self on the finger of the person who moments latter fingered the anus of his partner?

As I said I do have alot of respect for you folks

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:44:23 am »
Long,

How long is a piece of string? Just as the amount of the virus in an infected person's blood can vary from day to day, so can the amount of virus present in cum or pre-cum. It can vary from next to nothing to millions of particles per cubic ... er, ml? Sorry, I can't bring to mind the unit of measure they use.  ::)

The presence of possibly infected fluids on the hand/fingers of someone doing the fingering is not a risk for the reasons you yourself state. Hiv is a fragile virus that quickly becomes unable to infect once it is outside the body. You have to remember that even when cum containing hiv is ejaculated directly into the anus or vagina, infection is not guaranteed.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline longone

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:54 am »
How long is a piece of string?

Hmmmm, never pondered that question.  As far as pre cum I'm sure it [hiv] is in it but one would think in 2006 there wouldn't be so much guessing about it. Many say yes it is but not enough to infect and others say the opposite.

Anyway Ann, your answers are always insightful. Thank for your input.

I'm going for my 3 month test today. I always get one,don't know why except I am paranoid about the slightest event that doesn't go exactingly as I hoped it would.

Sometimes I wish this sex thing would just fade away. Have a nice day

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:31 am »
Long,

It has been established that both the cum and pre-cum of an hiv positive individual MAY contain the virus. The guessing is how much virus is present in an individual's fluids on any given day. As I said, it can be anywhere from absent or undetectable to millions of copies being present.

As long as you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, the amount of virus present in a person's fluids is irrelevant. Condoms prevent hiv transmission when used correctly and consistently. As long as you have been using condoms for intercourse, every time, no exceptions, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.