Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:36:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about treatment in San Francisco  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Rockin

Question about treatment in San Francisco
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:20 am »
Hello, it's been a while since I was here last. I'm living in the UK at the moment but I'll be going to San Francisco for a few months. Due to a mix-up caused by me I was unable to take medicine for 3 months, I was only able to take for 1 month. I heard that SF has a slightly different approach to treament than other places in the USA. Is that true or will I have to pay full for the medicine just like everyone else?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Question about treatment in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:55 am »
Hello, it's been a while since I was here last. I'm living in the UK at the moment but I'll be going to San Francisco for a few months. Due to a mix-up caused by me I was unable to take medicine for 3 months, I was only able to take for 1 month. I heard that SF has a slightly different approach to treament than other places in the USA. Is that true or will I have to pay full for the medicine just like everyone else?

Hi Rockin ... Im not certain what you mean by different approach to treatment , if you could tell us more we may be better able to assist you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:52 am »
Hi Rockin ... Im not certain what you mean by different approach to treatment , if you could tell us more we may be better able to assist you .

A friend said something about programs that help you buy the medicine required for a discount price or something but he wasn't sure. I have an international health care plan but it doesn't cover HIV, obviously. I know how expensive HIV drugs are in the US (as opposed to zero in the UK) so that's my major concern right now.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:55 am »
I see ... I'm going to move your thread into the insurance and benefits forum so it will get the attention of JR , he will most likely know how to answer your questions . There are several members here from SF who will probably chime in as well .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:24:02 am »
I see ... I'm going to move your thread into the insurance and benefits forum so it will get the attention of JR , he will most likely know how to answer your questions . There are several members here from SF who will probably chime in as well .

Ok thanks. I'm not a US citizen so I'm not sure if I'd be able to receive any benefits whatsoever...

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:46:43 am »
Rockin , Its concerning that you are not being adherent to your HIV regimen even if you have no choice because of your circumstances , its still a huge concern , its a recipe for disaster for you to do this . 

This could add up to a complex situation for you because you can not keep on starting and stopping your meds . Whats going to happen when you decide to leave the U.S ?
Do you intend to have a another treatment interruption ? . I don't know what your labs are but you might be better off putting off treatment until you are settled and ready for the commitment of being on ART if that's an option .
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:53:20 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:27 am »
Hey Rockin,

I am a California native and have been treated for HIV/AIDS (17 Years) in Los Angeles and currently in S.F..  I don't know of any program like your friend speaks of.  You can purchase a Pharmacy policy from an unlimited number of insurance brokers online and by phone. As a disabled person, I qualify for Medicare Part D and ADAP, but I am an American.  I recommend you contact The San Francisco AIDS Foundation www.sfaf.org  They will have someone who can answer your questions.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline buginme2

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:56 am »
I wonder if your friend is thinking about San Francisco's universal treatment policy.   Back in 2010 the SF board of health recommended that everyone start HIV treatment regardless of cd4 count as they implemented their "treatment as prevention" program.

Since then the US treatment guidelines recommending HIV treatment for everyone regardless of cd4 count has caught up to this and now everyone Is on a similar policy.
The program did not provide medications to anyone, it was a treatment recommendation on when to start treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04sftreatment.html?_r=0

The funding of medications is the same in sf as other places, ADAP, insurance, etc.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Rockin

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »
Rockin , Its concerning that you are not being adherent to your HIV regimen even if you have no choice because of your circumstances , its still a huge concern , its a recipe for disaster for you to do this . 

This could add up to a complex situation for you because you can not keep on starting and stopping your meds . Whats going to happen when you decide to leave the U.S ?
Do you intend to have a another treatment interruption ? . I don't know what your labs are but you might be better off putting off treatment until you are settled and ready for the commitment of being on ART if that's an option .

??? I do not understand, who said I'm not being adherent? If I had to
I'd simply go to a clinic, request a prescription and purchase the same
medication I'm being given in the UK, as expensive as it is. I'm not stopping treatment, I'm
not mental. I never stopped treatment, ever, and I do not plan to.

I'm only in the USA for a few months, then I'm back in the Uk.

And, btw, my clinic here was able to sort everything out in the last minute. So, thanks to the NHS, I'll be bringing all my medicine with me after all. Thanks Oceanbeach and buginme2 for the replies.

And

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »
. Due to a mix-up caused by me I was unable to take medicine for 3 months, I was only able to take for 1 month. I

This is why I thought you might not be taking your meds consistently . I think you misread my tone , I'm trying to be helpful .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline JazJon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:29 am »
I too find your post a bit confusing.

You're in the UK now have access to free medicine yet you missed 3 months?  (but took 1 month worth at some point? when? huh?)  You can't stock up before you leave?

Anyway, I live in San Francisco, and I'm not aware of any programs to help anyone that doesn't "live" here.   You have to prove you are a resident of San Francisco for the various benefits programs I helped friends get in the past.  University of the Pacific Dental School for example has a "CARE" program. (free dental care for low income HIV SF residents)

I'd contact the San Francisco AIDS foundation for further advice. 
http://www.sfaf.org/

The only possibly helpful thing I can think of is to buy inexpensive imported generics from Canada.   

One exmample:
Viraday (generic Atripla) was mentioned in the forums here several times if you use the search.  I've used alldaychemist for other non hiv related items over the years, and I see they carry Viraday. ($150 for 30 days)  https://www.alldaychemist.com/113-viraday.html   This is assuming that you can be treated with Atripla.  Be aware ship times are quite slow as well.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:41:45 am by JazJon »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:52 am »
A friend said something about programs that help you buy the medicine required for a discount price or something but he wasn't sure. I have an international health care plan but it doesn't cover HIV, obviously. I know how expensive HIV drugs are in the US (as opposed to zero in the UK) so that's my major concern right now.

First of all, just to clarify an important point:  HIV drugs are not "free".  They are not free in the UK.  The government is buying them, and at a pretty high price.

In the USA - who pays for drugs is a mixture.  Sometimes a worker's insurance company pays, and pretty generously. Sometimes less generously - high copays.  Sometimes a person buys their own insurance.  Sometimes people are on government assistance, for one reason or another, via one program or another. 

A few weeks ago, a Spanish person was in these threads and claims to have been accepted by New York ADAP.

Rockin you need to contact a SanFrancisco ASO and get the exact details of the challenge you face, and what is or is not possible.

"pay for the medicine just like everyone else" is a confused statement. 

Why don't you figure out a steady, long-term solution for your own situation, how you can have access to HAART, and stick with it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:55:37 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Habersham

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:41:33 am »
Due to a mix-up caused by me I was unable to take medicine for 3 months, I was only able to take for 1 month.

If I read Rockin correctly what he is saying is "he was only able to take a supply for 1 month from the clinic that day" He was unable to get a 3 month supply at that time. He later states they were able to correct the mixup and he was able to get a 3 month supply for his trip. Am I right Rockin?

I sometimes forget to put in qualifying phrases myself.
But I was always bad at diagramming sentences too so I probably didn't state that in the best way.

I hope I didn't muddle things further....

Thanks,
Habersham
Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
It was the speaking in the past tense that threw me . I am the worst and never criticize someones writing , especially if its their second language . After he clarified his post and took a swipe at me I finally got it . It also appears he has his supply of meds and its no longer an issue .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.