Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:13:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lisa Jill Rhodes Nowak 52 RIP  (Read 42296 times)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
Lisa Jill Rhodes Nowak 52 RIP
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:09:29 pm »
NOWAK GERMANTON - Lisa Jill Rhodes Nowak, 52, passed away unexpectedly on April 5, 2010 at her residence. Survivors include her children, Michelle Nowak and Michael Nowak, both of Winston-Salem; Brian (Alexis) Nowak of Germanton; brother, Jeffrey Rhodes of Toledo, Ohio; grandchildren, Serenity Nowak, Elijjah Thomas and Amearah Thomas. Private services will be held at a later date. :'(

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Lisa Jill Rhodes Nowak 52 RIP
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »
Rest in Peace SweetieWeasel.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »
Lisa was a woman of enormous generosity. She managed the used medication redistribution scheme and I know there are many here who owe their good health (if not their lives) to her selfless commitment and consideration of others.

Lisa's charity came from the fact that she knew what it was like to have very little. She appreciated that there are people who simply cannot make it without a little bit of help from those who can spare it.

Like others I would chat with Lisa on Skype from time to time. I enjoyed her southern burr (though I know she grew up in Ohio) and her sharp insights. I know that she was the matriarch of her family and it's beating moral heart. I suspect there are more than a few people in North Carolina and other places who are the poorer for her untimely demise.

Our Community is greatly reduced by her death. I lament her passing. I will miss her terribly. I will never forget her.

Vale Lisa.  :'(

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:45 pm »

I was one of the people Lisa helped.  When I first started meds I was in the process of moving to another city.  I received one bottle via the Ryan White program, and was told to go get help in the city I was moving to.  This gave me 30 days to get the ball rolling, but ADAP dragged and Lisa came to the rescue.  She mailed me 3 bottles to get me through.

I never met Lisa in person, but I have talked to her a few times by phone.  She was always so warm and thoughtful, and had a raspy laugh that made you feel good inside.  She was a much better person than me, a true angel.

I regret,... and it's too late.  Lisa, I am sorry.

If there is a heaven, it was made a better place on April 5, 2010.

RIP
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »
Lisa,

Girl you beat the AIDS, and you don't have to take those wreched meds anymore.  I wanted to let you know, I will miss you.  I will miss your passion for your family and your pets.  I will miss your passion for the human family, who you served with your heart and soul.  I will miss your crazyness, and your incredible indestructile spirit.  You are with your kind now, and if it is reasonable, check in and let me know how it is with all those Angels. 

See you in a few years, and don't party too much in the mean time.  :)  HUGGS GIRLFRIEND!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:30:32 pm »
You were Fric to my Frac, Mutt to my Jeff, Maw to my Paw (and I know no one else knows what I'm talking about, just you).  We had a special relationship.

I will miss you so much, my dear friend.   One of my favorite memories of you was at Ric and Thom's wedding party in Montreal....we were a little tipsy and were just dancing like nuts.   

You helped me several times with meds from your "drug closet".   I appreciated it so much.  You were a wonderful friend, a kind a generous lady with a zany sense of humor and a huge heart.

Go on angel wings, my dear one.

As Dorothy said to the Scarecrow, "I think I'll miss you most of all......"

With love always,

Alan, your Tin Man
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline northernguy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
This is very sad.  She had seemed so happy with her new home.  You will be missed Lisa.  :'(
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:27:57 pm »
Rest in peace sweet lady..keep dancing and keep laughing...I'm so glad we had the chance to meet.

In sadness
Jan :'(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 11:28:16 am »
Thomas let me know this morning of Lisa's passing...how very sad. I am one of the lucky ones to have met her in SF...she was such a kind, sweet person...RIP Dear Lisa 

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:35:38 am »
 :(  RIP Lisa
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 11:39:42 am »
I still cant believe Lisa is gone.  I just cant.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 12:02:31 pm »
I still cant believe Lisa is gone.  I just cant.

I can't either. When I first heard the news I couldn't even bring myself to write anything. She was such a lovely, caring woman. We spent hours on Skype talking about everything under the sun. I can't believe I'll never hear her infectious laughter again. I miss her so much.

Rest in peace, Lisa. I'll never forget you.

Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:56:26 pm »
Lisa,

I heard of your passing as well and again I profess apologies as I did to Tim of never following up on my promise to visit.

You were quite an interesting light in my life who once defended mne publicly as a man wrestling with his own issues.  A truer statement never thus been typed/spoken.

Like Tim, I promised you a visit which never happened and for that it is more tan a loss but a regret.  You were a very sweet woman who never tired of showing me your precious weasel in the webcam.  As noted by Anne, I already miss your laughter.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:48 am »
Lisa,

I will always remember your indestructable laugh, and your preference for going barefoot whenever possible.

Be at peace, dear lady.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 07:41:44 pm »

Offline terpie82

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:56:01 am »
When I was notified by Zephyr a couple weeks ago that Lisa had passed, my mouth had dropped and I tried very hard to hold back the tears. I am still in disbelief as I read this thread. Upset at myself for having been so withdrawn from the forum family and for not following up with the wonderful, amazing people like Lisa.

Ann said it best when she mentioned Lisa's infectious laughter. When Lisa laughed, even when something was not funny, you could not resist laughing as well as her laughter was extremely infectious in all the sense. There was not a bad bone in Lisa's body. She was pure love and giving. I remember in Montreal four years ago, I cried the night before as everyone was about to go our separate ways. Lisa was one of the primary reasons for my sadness that day, as I was afraid I would lose touch with the many amazing people I met that week. But Lisa grabbed me, hugged me, and said it would all be alright and affirmed that we would see each other again someday. I must affirm Lisa's words now and say I too, will see you someday big sister.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:54 pm »
Today is Lisa's birthday. She would have been 53.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 10:58:53 pm »
Today is Lisa's birthday. She would have been 53.

MtD

I loved her from the instant I laid eyes on her.  I saw her a couple of years back when she came here to Georgia, and I am so glad that I did because I got to tell her that very thing.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »
Happy Birthday Lisa, you left us too soon, but I'm sure you are still looking after us and making sure we get our Meds.
R.I.P ..sweet lady.

In sadness
Jan

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »
Thanks for remembering Lisa on her birthday Matty....I wanted to post something that day, but I just couldn't.   It is still hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that she's gone.

Glad you're back Tim....I've missed you honey.

Alan

PS  Matty, BTW have I told you lately that I love you?   I do, you know......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »
[quote link=topic=32646.msg411038#msg411038 date=1277854904]

[/quote]

It's the 5th of April here in NZ so today for me it marks the 1st year of Lisa's passing.

I hope you are still at peace Lisa, you are sadly missed and always will be.

Love always
Jan :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »
I can't believe it's been a year already. I so miss everything about Lisa; especially her laugh. Her laugh could pick me up no matter how low I was - and she'd have me laughing along with her in no time.

((((((Lisa))))))

Love you and miss you,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »
While there are many who come and go here, there are others whose mark on these forums is indelible.  Lisa is one such person.

I said before, and I'll say again:  I loved her from the instant I laid eyes on her.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:36 pm »
I miss you every day, dear friend.   I know that wherever you are, you are spreading joy.

Love always,  Alan

PS - does anyone know what became of Lisa's beloved pet, Mabel the ferret?  Lisa brought Mabel with her the last time we went to Atlanta to visit JK....

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »
Sweet wonderful woman ..

We had so many good laughs and chats together.
You even got to know Szymon.....

So sad you had to leave us

Keep a seat on the merry-go-round for me. Preferable the vodka tonic one..

xxxxxxx Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:21 am »
One thing about Lisa was that voice of hers.  I still hear it in my head from time to time.  I do worry that I won't hear it or remember how it sounds.  But it's still there.

I miss her. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.