Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:57:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 182
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Lymph nodes HIV  (Read 13266 times)

Offline daisy717

Lymph nodes HIV
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
Hi all.

I have a big concern. I have what feels like a swollen lymph nodes behind my left ear( on the neck portion). It was HARD and it feels almost like its the bone. I first realized it 3 weeks ago. It hasn't grown in size or shrunk. It doesn't hurt normally but it does now because I was poking at it and digging. I feel it more when I turn my neck to the right ( with the lump being on my right side)

I don't have any other swollen lymph nodes.
Could this be due to HIV?

How do lymph nodes due to HIV feel? Tender or hard?
Thank you
Daisy

Offline daisy717

Re: Lymph nodes HIV
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »
I should also add that it is roughly 1.5-2 yrs post exposure
I had a positive Elisa and neg WB not too long ago which is why I am even more concerned about this node.

Would it be possible for a lymph node be present this far after exposure with no other symptoms?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »
You haven't mentioned what your risk was, but it doesn't actually matter. Because if you have tested negative at 1.5 - 2 years after whatever you are calling a risk and had no other risks such as unprotected intercourse, then you are reliably HIV negative.

Swollen lymph nodes are not an HIV specific event. Leave them alone because handling can create more of a problem. Discuss the matter with your doctor.

HIV is not your problem as long as I am correct that you have not had unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse since that "risky" event quite a while back.
Andy Velez

Offline daisy717

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »
Yes Andy you are correct.
The last exposure ever was 1.5-2 years ago. Haven't put myself at risk since then

Exposure was unprotected vaginal with ex bf. it happened numerous times but like I said, it was a minimal of 1.5 yrs ago

Last month (or so) I had a pOsitive Elisa followed by a neg WB for HIV 1 and 2.
I am still having trouble accepting these results. This is why this lymph node is concerning me. It's hard like a bone (maybe it is my bone, I don't know)!

I know this is a HIV prevention forum. But I have a question to ask if that okay with you. I don't want to ask it and get in trouble by the administration. It's a question about how WB works. Please let me know if I can ask you it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:27 pm »
As you have been advised before you don't have HIV the WB trumps the ELISA when confirming.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:51 pm »
I understand that because I read it everywhere but it's still discomfiting.

Since Andy has not yet replied, may I ask you a question regarding the WB please, rapid rod?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »
I've aswered you before in another forum. Nothing is going to change you do not have HIV.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »
Well, it will help me understand why the WB is more reliable because right now, I don't really have trust in my own results. 

I read in both forums that the p24 antibody/antigen is present in the body early in the widow period, even before anybodies are present. This is using the 4th generation tests.
So my question is, how can a western blot that LOOKS for the p24 antibody be accurate way outside the window period (1.5 yrs after exposure) if the p24 protein is present only early on? Are the other proteins like that as well? 
I wonder, if taken earlier, the p24 band would have been present?
Is it EVER too late for such a test?
Or is it just the opposite, the longer you wait, the more the WB can pick up? If that's the case, please explain in terms of the p24

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:32:11 pm »
All of your questions have been answered before. You know why you can't post in the other forum this forum has those same guidelines.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:40:39 pm »
My question really has not been answered and truthfully speaking, it's a legit question. If you don't want to answer its okay. I'll just hope Andy or Ann answer. Thanks though

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »

Offline daisy717

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »
Read the link and the different pages but none of it answered my question. Info not know why it's so hard for you to answer it. Yu teach about HIV so I'm sure you know the answer. It will help put my mind at ease and trust the results. Right now, I'm still in doubt about my status

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:26 pm »
What is so hard to except you don't have HIV?

■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
You're so unhelpful. Why do you come here to help people and then NOT answer their questions??
What i dont understand?! The fact that I  had a POSITIVE result and that I have a swollen lymph node that is big and hard! Not to mention MY QUESTION that you insist on not answering for whatever reason!! How in the words can someone ACCEPT a WB if when your read online, it says proteins are in the body EARLY in window period!

Do you understand my worry now!?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »
You have been answered over and over again till you got yourself banned and you are starting to do it here. Seek professioal mental help you accept your conclusive negative test result. This forum or any other forum can not be of any further help to you.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/p24/tab/test#.UASzEYl5mc0

"p24 is only detectable in a short window of time".

And then you want me and others to believe in a test where there is questioning to be done

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:18 pm »
You didn't take a P24 test you took a Western Blot. Move along.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:08 pm »
A western blot test that looks for the p24 proteins which is only present in the first few weeks of infection, not 1.5 years later. All I want to know is why they look for that protein if it's in our body only for 2ish weeks and if the other proteins have that same Occurance?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:45 pm »
You do not have an HIV concern. Move along.

Offline daisy717

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 11:33:05 pm »
Can you PLEASE help me in understanding why you say that. I am frantically searching the web and nothing is what I am looking for. I need an experts advice and quite frankly I do not have money to ask a dr. If I did I would have gone for another tat by now

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:36 pm »
What were you told when you received your negative Western Blot? You were told you were negative. Move on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:41:18 am »
Whenever someone tests positive a western blot is always used to check that result. Because the western is a more sensitive and looks specifically for anti-bodies, a negative western blot result trumps a positive result on an Elisa.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here with more doubts and what ifs you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Stop this unnecessary drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.